Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mic Adapter is NOT Stereo
2831 21 2019-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
markr041
lvl.3
United States

What a disappointment.
2019-3-14
Use props
StardustGeass
lvl.4
Indonesia

welp... this totally disapproves the price... at least gopro's proprietary audio adapter still enables a stereo audio, and also charging in the same time.
2019-3-14
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I'm still trying to figure this out. The right channel on my setup is definitely only recording to the right channel but the left seems to come out centrally across both. I must emphasize, I have no way to prove this because.
I have a stereo 3.5 to two 3.5 mono outputs. The problem has been as soon as I don't have a connection to one channel the Osmo Pocket isn't recording any audio at all so I don't seem to be able to record to one channel only to find out. I have put the resulting recordings into Cubase and there also seems some form of a variance of the waveform of the left channel I can't work out what is different to what I'm seeing on the right channel. There must be two channels (I assume) to do this as far as I can see but have no idea why it's doing what it appears to be doing and no apparent way that I can see to find out.
I'm still waiting to see if anyone else can verify this as it is also possible it is only happening on my unit.
I can't really say a sample of one is verifiable conclusive proof.

[Edit]
What I can say is the resulting output from my Rhode Pro mic is that for side noise rejection and central clarity it is really good.  For use in a very noisy environment, I would think it would be very useful.

2019-3-14
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 3-14 15:14
I'm still trying to figure this out. The right channel on my setup is definitely only recording to the right channel but the left seems to come out centrally across both. I must emphasize, I have no way to prove this because.
I have a stereo 3.5 to two 3.5 mono outputs. The problem has been as soon as I don't have a connection to one channel the Osmo Pocket isn't recording any audio at all so I don't seem to be able to record to one channel only to find out. I have put the resulting recordings into Cubase and there also seems some form of a variance of the waveform of the left channel I can't work out what is different to what I'm seeing on the right channel. There must be two channels (I assume) to do this as far as I can see but have no idea why it's doing what it appears to be doing and no apparent way that I can see to find out.
I'm still waiting to see if anyone else can verify this as it is also possible it is only happening on my unit.

This is not rocket science. I have a stereo mic. I snap my figures close in on the right and then the left. I listen to the recording. Both snaps are in the middle. It is mono. Period.

I agree the sound quality is much better than the internal mics. But mono, really? Inferior to all cell phones and all cameras and camcorders.
2019-3-14
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 3-14 15:14

Thanks for your feedback.  I’m driving far to pick up mine at FedEx tonight.  I mainly care to use it as you explained in your edit response like for interviews etc.  For ambience or concerts, I don’t mind using my zoom recorder.  
2019-3-14
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

markr041 Posted at 3-14 15:32
This is not rocket science. I have a stereo mic. I snap my figures close in on the right and then the left. I listen to the recording. Both snaps are in the middle. It is mono. Period.

I agree the sound quality is much better than the internal mics. But mono, really? Inferior to all cell phones and all cameras and camcorders.

I'm sorry to disagree but my sound recording software is reporting and showing two channels. Both channels do not show identical waveforms for whatever reason. Close but not identical. It could be an encoding that could be reversed with a firmware update. I don't know and won't speculate at this point.
I find it odd the admins won't come in and clear up this point one way or the other.
If it does turn out the only recording possible is mono at least I'll be able to turn the mic around to face forwards.
2019-3-14
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 3-14 17:01
I'm sorry to disagree but my sound recording software is reporting and showing two channels. Both channels do not show identical waveforms for whatever reason. Close but not identical. It could be an encoding that could be reversed with a firmware update. I don't know and won't speculate at this point.
I find it odd the admins won't come in and clear up this point one way or the other.
If it does turn out the only recording possible is mono at least I'll be able to turn the mic around to face forwards.

Whatever it is, it is not stereo - it is not retaining the separation of the audio that is coming from the two microphones. It is audio - so use your ears. Any difference in channels is just random error or noise. Do you hear stereo? Of course there are two channels, but both have the same audio, minus noise. Any sound is centered.

I agree that the moderators should give the specs. Indeed, the web site should give the specs, the paper manual that comes with the adapter should give the specs. But as a professional recording engineer, I can tell you that you do not get stereo from a stereo mic that on every other camera I own with plug-in power gives a stereo image.
2019-3-14
Use props
lummox
lvl.4
United States

I think it’s the noise redux algorithm developed for the internal mics, applied to the usb audio. I hope it’s Dsp in software and not hardware giving us a chance for a fix.
2019-3-14
Use props
Patrick Seguin
lvl.2
Canada

I was going to buy this today good thing i found that thread. could an admin From DJI confirm this?
2019-3-15
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40866 ft
  • >>>
Canada

This thing is criminal. Honestly, we waited 90 days for a piece of hardware that comes with no specs or descriptions. The mics the said they tested with don't work\
2019-3-15
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40866 ft
  • >>>
Canada

This thing is criminal. Honestly, we waited 90 days for a piece of hardware that comes with no specs or descriptions. The mics the said they tested with don't work.
2019-3-15
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

That's the reason why I use my (lovely) small voice recorder for € 19.99
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D549%26typeid%3D549

It is interesting: I have action cams Yi 4K+ and SJ8 Pro, both 4K/60fps and USB C
With Yi 4K+ was delivered a simple audio adapter, only USB C ----> 3.5mm,
which works with Yi 4K+ with MONO MICs, buuuuut with SJ8 Pro I also can use
STEREO MICs.

For DIY look this videos how to convert MONO to STEREO, but I think with
DJI adapter this is a DEVILs GAME   

2019-3-15
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

I shall wait ..... till I need an external mic, or if new solution came out later by other user .....
2019-3-21
Use props
Yanncd FrenchStreetMedic
lvl.4
  • >>>
France

I think DJI doesn't give any spec because people could make a class action against them. It is already amazing that nobody did complain in justice. They sell a product with no accessories available at date. Nearly 4 month we all wait for it to work with this product.
At the end, poor functionalities, even if the OP is innovative and very attractive product.
We are beta testers.
My feeling.
I'm up to buy a GoPro 7 tomorrow than i would be able to cast, have a good mic, ... for next riot Saturday.
2019-3-21
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

I like my OP - it's just for fun! For REALLY good work I use Yi 4k+ and SJ8 Pro,
cheaper and without AAAAAAALL problems from OP! Mic, changeable battery, whist remote,
moooore video/photo settings, timelapse, underwater housings, all kind of filters ...
Oooooops - OP is for reach & patient men!

DJI is okay ;-) ... say my Phantom 4K, Spark, Tello ...

2019-3-21
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

BeterBan Posted at 3-21 14:52
I like my OP - it's just for fun! For REALLY good work I use Yi 4k+ and SJ8 Pro,
cheaper and without AAAAAAALL problems from OP! Mic, changeable battery, whist remote,
moooore video/photo settings, timelapse, underwater housings, all kind of filters ...

For REALLY terrible unusable audio I use my Yi 4K+
2019-3-21
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

I have with all eqipment TOP stereo sound - thanx to  my € 19.99 sound recorder   
2019-3-21
Use props
lummox
lvl.4
United States

BeterBan Posted at 3-21 18:56
I have with all eqipment TOP stereo sound - thanx to  my € 19.99 sound recorder   [view_image]

We are all thrilled at how cheap your gear is.
2019-3-21
Use props
steven_sf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 24948 ft
  • >>>
United States

I also did the snap test. It is not stereo. It also is not mono. There seems to be an imaging effect that is occurring.
2019-3-21
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

If youre using a stereo mic this could be phasing that you are hearing. Seems the ADC may be a bit sloppy on the encoding and might (perhaps ) get better in a future update...
2019-3-22
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

lummox Posted at 3-21 20:29
We are all thrilled at how cheap your gear is.

At first I thought BeterBan maybe has his own warehouse and he's selling his stuff here and trashing DJI.  His comments are funny sometimes.  But some of the stuff he writes makes sense like the overpriced mic adapter which has been the most disappointing accessory that has been released.   DJI should hire BeterBan as a consultant, but let's make sure his 3rd party adapters do work.     
2019-3-22
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

Thanx, Joe!
For people buying for less money I recommend this buggy adapter :-)

If you have a smartphone with microUSB I recommend what DJI not have, never will produce, ergo not sell:

Buy with my own warehouse, with
coupon KHTREFDGHJIUIZTRFRGFDEERFTTTGGFDDOPKJZRFHTZTGFFTGFGRF
you will get 131.4159% rabatt!
2019-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules