MIc suggestions for audio adapter?
2643 26 2019-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

Newbie - no real film experience.  What do you recommend as the best microphones now that the adapter is out?
2019-3-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, Thank you for reaching out and we really appreciate you for being interested with DJI Product. Here's our recommended and tested Mics, Audio-Technica atr-6550, Rode VideoMic Pro, Rode VideoMicro, Azden sgm-990, Sennheiser MKE400, Sony ecm-ds70p, DJI fm-15 FlexiMic and other mainstream brands with 3.5mm microphones. We can still wait for the best recommendation from our valued members here. Best regards!
2019-3-14
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 3-14 15:32
Hi there, Thank you for reaching out and we really appreciate you for being interested with DJI Product. Here's our recommended and tested Mics, Audio-Technica atr-6550, Rode VideoMic Pro, Rode VideoMicro, Azden sgm-990, Sennheiser MKE400, Sony ecm-ds70p, DJI fm-15 FlexiMic and other mainstream brands with 3.5mm microphones. We can still wait for the best recommendation from our valued members here. Best regards!

Hi Gamora.

Have DJI released any promotion marketing videos showing the results using the recommended mics?

There maybe material out there that I've missed.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-14
Use props
Ricky Lo
lvl.1

Hong Kong

DJI Gamora Posted at 3-14 15:32

Hi, I am currently using the Rode Videomic micro, as well as Saramonic SR-XM1, but, the audio output from these mics are very low, I can hardly hear anything when recording from an arm distance away.  In fact, this is actually the same case when I use these mics with my Gopro hero 7, however, the gopro provides an option in the audio input called “microphone +" that you can boost up the mic by 20db.  Just wondering if the Osmo Pocket provides the same option, or how am I supposed to set it up when using these non-powered microphones?
2019-3-14
Use props
Ricky Lo
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Ricky Lo Posted at 3-14 16:41
Hi, I am currently using the Rode Videomic micro, as well as Saramonic SR-XM1, but, the audio output from these mics are very low, I can hardly hear anything when recording from an arm distance away.  In fact, this is actually the same case when I use these mics with my Gopro hero 7, however, the gopro provides an option in the audio input called “microphone +" that you can boost up the mic by 20db.  Just wondering if the Osmo Pocket provides the same option, or how am I supposed to set it up when using these non-powered microphones?

I have tested it many times, the output volume from these 2 mics are a lot lower than the in-built microphone, which is to me, unacceptable for vlogging.  Is this happens only to me or I have just received a faulty adapter?
2019-3-14
Use props
lummox
lvl.4
United States

I tested with Roland cs-10em, which is a stereo in-ear mic, and the gain is fine. It’s very sensitive. There is something odd going on with the stereo field ( I suspect the same noise reduction process designed for the internal mics is being applied to the usb audio) but when wearing both mics, there is plenty of gain. My recording volume setting was “auto”, so you might want to check that.
2019-3-14
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just ordered the Sony ECM-CS3 which has a TRS connection and is omnidirectional and stereo. It is also supposed  to be on the hot side so that is a plus.   It was less then $20 US on Amazon.  Beware that it only has a 1m cable. I ordered a 1m extension cable to be on the safe side.

Now if DJI would ship my audio adapter.
2019-3-14
Use props
Gr8fulTed
lvl.2
United States

I have read several posts in which the Rode and other mics are low output to begin with. I received my audio adapter today and plugged my relatively inexpensive BOYA BY-MM1 into it. In comparing it to the built in mics, what I found was that the volume was super low, but the fidelity was much better. Then it hit me: what audio setting did I have the Osmo Pocket on? So I tried the BOYA BY-MM1 in all 4 of the Pocket's settings. The low and moderate were especially soft and hard to hear, but I know that I could boost it in post. However both the High and Auto settings on the Pocket created audio that was just fine and the fidelity quality was much better than the Pocket's mics. At this point, I am not disappointed.
2019-3-14
Use props
Ricky Lo
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Gr8fulTed Posted at 3-14 18:42
I have read several posts in which the Rode and other mics are low output to begin with. I received my audio adapter today and plugged my relatively inexpensive BOYA BY-MM1 into it. In comparing it to the built in mics, what I found was that the volume was super low, but the fidelity was much better. Then it hit me: what audio setting did I have the Osmo Pocket on? So I tried the BOYA BY-MM1 in all 4 of the Pocket's settings. The low and moderate were especially soft and hard to hear, but I know that I could boost it in post. However both the High and Auto settings on the Pocket created audio that was just fine and the fidelity quality was much better than the Pocket's mics. At this point, I am not disappointed.

In fact the volume is super super low, so if you are shooting outside, there's no way that you can hear anything.
2019-3-14
Use props
Ricky Lo
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Gr8fulTed Posted at 3-14 18:42

In fact the volume is super super low, so if you are shooting outside, there's no way that you can hear anything.
2019-3-14
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40866 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I suspect you need a powered mic. I’ll have mine today in about 10 hours and I’ll test it. I’ll get right back to everyone.
2019-3-14
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I did some quick preliminary testing last night with the RØDE micro and also with a  cheap powered lav mic and the powered mic makes a huge difference for vlogging. I general, I say a powered mic is the way to go but I will continue testing the mics this weekend.  The RØDE micro does sound a little soft especially at a distance.  Again, this was a quick test.
2019-3-15
Use props
dewarner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 87536 ft
United States

Does anyone know if the Audio Adapter is supposed to work in conjunction with the WiFi adapter?  

Thanks -
2019-3-15
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

dewarner Posted at 3-15 03:25
Does anyone know if the Audio Adapter is supposed to work in conjunction with the WiFi adapter?  

Thanks -

I tried it and it doesn’t work.  It only records audio via the camera’s built-in mic instead while on WiFi.  
2019-3-15
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I predict DJI is going to release a revised WiFi adapter so we can use the mic adapter wiressly, Lol.  I’m not creating a rumor here; maybe a good idea or can the current WiFi adapter be revised through a firmware?  Seriously, we need this feature DJI.  I’m disappointed.
2019-3-15
Use props
Gr8fulTed
lvl.2
United States

Ricky Lo Posted at 3-14 20:05

Sorry, that hasn't been my experience once I changed the volume setting on the Pocket itself.
2019-3-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

David_Harry Posted at 3-14 16:39
Hi Gamora.

Have DJI released any promotion marketing videos showing the results using the recommended mics?

Hi there, thank you for being interested. As of the time being, we don't have any video yet with the being said product. With regards to that just keep in touch on our Youtube channel or our Official website. Best regards!
2019-3-15
Use props
Ricky Lo
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Gr8fulTed Posted at 3-15 07:35
Sorry, that hasn't been my experience once I changed the volume setting on the Pocket itself.

So what have you changed in the settings?
2019-3-15
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

Seriously, I'm wondering how many people trying mics have forgotten to try changing the audio level to high on the OP itself.  I'm gonna spend a few bucks on a cheapo just to test it myself.  I love pilot error.
2019-3-15
Use props
Ricky Lo
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Upscaleman Posted at 3-15 08:56
Seriously, I'm wondering how many people trying mics have forgotten to try changing the audio level to high on the OP itself.  I'm gonna spend a few bucks on a cheapo just to test it myself.  I love pilot error.

I am always put the audio level to auto, as every time when I set the audio level to high, it will automatically changed back to moderate once the OP is re-started.
2019-3-15
Use props
Gr8fulTed
lvl.2
United States

Ricky Lo Posted at 3-15 09:02
I am always put the audio level to auto, as every time when I set the audio level to high, it will automatically changed back to moderate once the OP is re-started.

In my tests I used it on each of the 4 settings available through the Pro mode. The two that worked very well for me were the high and the auto. I have been reading other posts here and elsewhere and it appears that the best mics to use with this is device are the lesser expensive powered mics, which is one that I have. The more expensive mics are not working as well with the Pocket. Additionally, a site administrator here responded to a question regarding if the mic adapter would work through the WIFi module, telling me no. Yet two people I know who do have lesser expensive powered mics are saying it works just fine with their WiFi module.
2019-3-17
Use props
Fred Martin
lvl.2
United States

Gr8fulTed Posted at 3-17 07:07
In my tests I used it on each of the 4 settings available through the Pro mode. The two that worked very well for me were the high and the auto. I have been reading other posts here and elsewhere and it appears that the best mics to use with this is device are the lesser expensive powered mics, which is one that I have. The more expensive mics are not working as well with the Pocket. Additionally, a site administrator here responded to a question regarding if the mic adapter would work through the WIFi module, telling me no. Yet two people I know who do have lesser expensive powered mics are saying it works just fine with their WiFi module.

This is my setup and it works fine. The mic is from Amazon made by VILTROX
2019-3-17
Use props
StardustGeass
lvl.4
Indonesia

Gr8fulTed Posted at 3-17 07:07
In my tests I used it on each of the 4 settings available through the Pro mode. The two that worked very well for me were the high and the auto. I have been reading other posts here and elsewhere and it appears that the best mics to use with this is device are the lesser expensive powered mics, which is one that I have. The more expensive mics are not working as well with the Pocket. Additionally, a site administrator here responded to a question regarding if the mic adapter would work through the WIFi module, telling me no. Yet two people I know who do have lesser expensive powered mics are saying it works just fine with their WiFi module.

really? there are two people having their wireless module works with audio adaptor?
Are they here in the forum? Can you share the proof?

If it really happens, I really would've reconsider buying one of the audio adapter.
2019-3-17
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mic

This is much hotter than the rode. The shock mount is cheap so be aware. I have this mic and the dji audio adapter. I do not use auto with this mic. Sound output is clean, cardioid mic pattern.

A site rep has confirmed the wireless adapter does NOT work with the dji audio adapter.
2019-3-18
Use props
Gr8fulTed
lvl.2
United States

StardustGeass Posted at 3-17 17:24
really? there are two people having their wireless module works with audio adaptor?
Are they here in the forum? Can you share the proof?

So I have attempted a few times to use the mic adapter with the WiFi module and have been unsuccessful  in having it work. I am wondering if the two people who said they DID get it to work are actually hearing the internal mics. One of them is going to double check and said he'd get back me when he does. We'll see.
2019-3-31
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Gr8fulTed Posted at 3-31 16:35
So I have attempted a few times to use the mic adapter with the WiFi module and have been unsuccessful  in having it work. I am wondering if the two people who said they DID get it to work are actually hearing the internal mics. One of them is going to double check and said he'd get back me when he does. We'll see.

The WiFi module and Audio adapter will not work together.  You can use one of the other.  What I do when I need a bit of remote control and also the audio adapter is to use a male to female with the phone adapter and then plug into my iPhone or iPad from a few feed away.
2019-3-31
Use props
txtechnonerd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175075 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been using the Comica CVM-VM10II and I think it's worked pretty well. I've used it so far in a number of test situations with and without a dead cat. Good pickup and levels and the tone works for me. A little big, but not unwieldy. I've also used the Sony stereo lapel mic with and without the Sony ECMAW4 wireless adapters. A little hard to dial in with the wireless adapters, but "good enough" once you've done so. I just wish the dang Mic adapter wasn't so long sticking out the bottom of the OP...
2019-4-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules