Image with noise Mavic 2 pro
3689 29 2019-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans5e49805b
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi there, i have recently purchased a Mavic 2 pro and tried to take some pictures.

the result is that they come out with lots of noise if i look at them at 100%.

I shot raw (file DNG)  at f10, 1/240s ISO 100.

Attached is the jpeg version with no post.  I hope you can see from there.

Am i missing something?

Thank you.
DJI_00055.jpg
2019-3-15
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

The picture looks perfectly fine to me and I don't notice any noise. Either way, if you shoot in RAW, you have to add noise reduction in post if it's too much.
2019-3-15
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

The new CAPTCHA crap is the last straw.
Im tired of DJIs crap and am removing my posts and will be on my way.
2019-3-15
Use props
Vinniez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2106204 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

the pic looks clean in my imac
2019-3-15
Use props
bikoo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1534987 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

looks fine for me
2019-3-15
Use props
dancopter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Bayer filter sensors are only 25% blue, hence you get more noise in blue skies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer_filter
2019-3-15
Use props
fans5e49805b
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thank you guys for all your replies. I think the JPEG i uploaded does not give the idea of the noise.

I wish i could upload the DNG. I guess giving the correct setting there isnt much i can do besides correcting in post with noise reduction.

2019-3-15
Use props
winkiel82
First Officer
Flight distance : 4059806 ft
Poland

Nice photo, where is it?
2019-3-15
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

fans5e49805b Posted at 3-15 10:23
Thank you guys for all your replies. I think the JPEG i uploaded does not give the idea of the noise.

I wish i could upload the DNG. I guess giving the correct setting there isnt much i can do besides correcting in post with noise reduction.

You can use Dropbox or Google Drive and link it here.
You are supposed to edit RAW files to get the best out of it, you don't use it as it is from the camera.
2019-3-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I see very slight noise in the water, this is very simply removed in post, other than that . I don’t think there’s a camera whether on a drone or DSLR that can give you better results , only thing that may have helped is take it at what most are saying is sweet spot for M2P f5.6 , maybe post example of what it is your looking for to compare.
2019-3-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Noise in stills is often accentuated when zoomed in. Noise reduction in post is the key. Don't forget that the Mavic 2 Pro has a 1" 20mp sensor and is not a 35mm full frame DSLR or micro four third system - it's also flying around at 40 odd MPH, hundreds of feet in the air and turning to and from the sun constantly and in a matter of seconds thus changing the dynamic range in the blink of an eye. Don't set your expectations too high - I've seen lenses that cost more than my whole M2P set up! I think the shot you have shown here is awesome when not zoomed in.
2019-3-15
Use props
fans5e49805b
lvl.1
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 3-15 13:27
I see very slight noise in the water, this is very simply removed in post, other than that . I don’t think there’s a camera whether on a drone or DSLR that can give you better results , only thing that may have helped is take it at what most are saying is sweet spot for M2P f5.6 , maybe post example of what it is your looking for to compare.

Hi hallmark007, thank you for the reply. I am probably wrongly compare to what i shoot on my nikon d610 and that was my benchmark. I guess a little to optimistic there.
2019-3-16
Use props
fans5e49805b
lvl.1
United Kingdom

G_Sig Posted at 3-15 12:44
You can use Dropbox or Google Drive and link it here.
You are supposed to edit RAW files to get the best out of it, you don't use it as it is from the camera.

Hi G_Sig,

thak you for the reply, here is the raw file link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/krcwhqnn0f1uqch/DJI_0006.DNG?dl=0
2019-3-16
Use props
fans5e49805b
lvl.1
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 3-15 14:03
Noise in stills is often accentuated when zoomed in. Noise reduction in post is the key. Don't forget that the Mavic 2 Pro has a 1" 20mp sensor and is not a 35mm full frame DSLR or micro four third system - it's also flying around at 40 odd MPH, hundreds of feet in the air and turning to and from the sun constantly and in a matter of seconds thus changing the dynamic range in the blink of an eye. Don't set your expectations too high - I've seen lenses that cost more than my whole M2P set up! I think the shot you have shown here is awesome when not zoomed in.

A CW, thank you for the comment. I guess my expectations were too high giving the camera make
2019-3-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans5e49805b Posted at 3-16 03:39
Hi hallmark007, thank you for the reply. I am probably wrongly compare to what i shoot on my nikon d610 and that was my benchmark. I guess a little to optimistic there.

Yes I think so, you must give credit to the drone and the difficulty of getting the shot, while the quality maybe a bit behind your DSLR, it’s probably safe to say that unless your flying in a balloon it will be impossible to take this shot with any DSLR. ;+):::::
2019-3-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans5e49805b Posted at 3-16 03:44
A CW, thank you for the comment. I guess my expectations were too high giving the camera make

It is made by DJI - Hasselblad worked in collaboration with them to utilise their HNSC technology - this is why the L1D-20c can record in 10-bit which in itself is awesome for what is essentially a consumer grade drone. If this was a pure Hasselblad camera you would need to add another zero on the end of the price tag...  
2019-3-16
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Is this the JPG that was produced from RAW + JPG in the drone or did you personally save the RAW as a JPG from your editing/viewing software. If the latter, then a poor result it is to be expected.
2019-3-16
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

2019-3-16
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

2019-3-16
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Guernsey

Brett Brandon Posted at 3-15 06:52
I was a little dissapointed myself. What you see is typical noise with the Hassleblad (upper left sky and water). Most folks have also found that stopping down past f5 tends to soften the image. With the cropped sensor size and the lens used, there isn't much change in DOF after f5 (unless you are very close to subject).

I don't understand your answer in the context of both depth of field or f stop.
According to the Mavic 2 pro spec ( https://www.dji.com/mavic/info#specs ) the f is fixed at 2.2, so where have I misunderstood you when you talk about f5 ?
I have never considered DOF being a relevant factor with the normal use of drones. Take the OPs photo, because this is what the discussion is about. A calculation will show that for the f2.2 and 1/2.3 sensor if you are more than 60 metres away from the subject, the DOF will be between 30 metres and infinity.
If f5 is possible on the drone, then the DOF will be from 15 metres to infinity. How do you see your comment being valid?
https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/dof-calculator.htm

2019-3-16
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

2019-3-16
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Guernsey

I personally think you took a well composed and most desirable photo.
You mention noise, but how big are you going to print or display this photo, or future pics?  If it is viewed on the typical laptop, tablet, phone or 4K screen, it's fine.
The cleanest images are produced when there is an abundance of light. You won't see much difference in image quality if displayed on the devices I mentioned, whatever camera you use. Purists will argue, of course, but realistically, any difference will be hard to measure.
2019-3-16
Use props
fans5e49805b
lvl.1
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 3-16 07:27
It is made by DJI - Hasselblad worked in collaboration with them to utilise their HNSC technology - this is why the L1D-20c can record in 10-bit which in itself is awesome for what is essentially a consumer grade drone. If this was a pure Hasselblad camera you would need to add another zero on the end of the price tag...

A CW, you are right.
2019-3-16
Use props
fans5e49805b
lvl.1
United Kingdom

AlansDronePics Posted at 3-16 08:12
Is this the JPG that was produced from RAW + JPG in the drone or did you personally save the RAW as a JPG from your editing/viewing software. If the latter, then a poor result it is to be expected.

I opened the raw file in lightroom then edited in photoshop and saved as jpeg.
2019-3-16
Use props
fans5e49805b
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Brett Brandon Posted at 3-16 08:32
What I see in the raw file is typical of the camera. I had high hopes with the Hassleblad name on it but then if you think about it, you could buy many M2P's with fly more packages for less than a real Hassleblad would cost. For a tiny camera that you can place virtually anywhere for shots you can't get with a dslr, its still pretty incredible.
For a heads up, DJI bought Hassleblad which has been a failing company in recent years. Thus the joint effort in the M2P's camera (it is a Sony sensor).

Brett, thank you for your feedback.
2019-3-16
Use props
fans5e49805b
lvl.1
United Kingdom

AlansDronePics Posted at 3-16 08:57
I personally think you took a well composed and most desirable photo.
You mention noise, but how big are you going to print or display this photo, or future pics?  If it is viewed on the typical laptop, tablet, phone or 4K screen, it's fine.
The cleanest images are produced when there is an abundance of light. You won't see much difference in image quality if displayed on the devices I mentioned, whatever camera you use. Purists will argue, of course, but realistically, any difference will be hard to measure.

Alan, I created this post because i thought "what if i wanted to print this image" whit all this noise it might not come decent.
2019-3-16
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Guernsey

fans5e49805b Posted at 3-16 09:34
I opened the raw file in lightroom then edited in photoshop and saved as jpeg.

Hi, you said in the OP Attached is the jpeg version with no post. But now you say you edited which I took to mean you made adjustments.
Perhaps you have exacerbated the problem. I tended to raise contrast when I started tweaking RAW and this does strengthen the appearance of noise-like texture.
2019-3-16
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Guernsey

fans5e49805b Posted at 3-16 09:40
Alan, I created this post because i thought "what if i wanted to print this image" whit all this noise it might not come decent.

What size of print? What quality of printer? Printer settings are a skill in themselves, so someone with that knowledge will help you best.
I would be proud to nail your pic to my wall.
2019-3-16
Use props
Alb111
lvl.1
United Kingdom

AlansDronePics Posted at 3-16 09:46
Hi, you said in the OP Attached is the jpeg version with no post. But now you say you edited which I took to mean you made adjustments.
Perhaps you have exacerbated the problem. I tended to raise contrast when I started tweaking RAW and this does strengthen the appearance of noise-like texture.

Hi Alan, you are right, what I did in post I only played with exposure, contrast and shadows.
2019-3-16
Use props
Alb111
lvl.1
United Kingdom

AlansDronePics Posted at 3-16 09:49
What size of print? What quality of printer? Printer settings are a skill in themselves, so someone with that knowledge will help you best.
I would be proud to nail your pic to my wall.

Thank you Alan, very kind
2019-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules