Osmo Pocket 4K sample video downloads.
14395 11 2019-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi.

Here's a link to some 4K/UHD video files from the Pocket. These may be useful to anyone who has not yet bought a Pocket as it will allow you to see if your NLE is capable of playing the files. These clips are just regular usage ones, no special setups, no trying to compensate for vertical movement (walking like a Ninja) etc. The clips are also shot in the typical grim British weather for this type of year, again very realistic shots and no cherry picking.

The clips are mostly shot in the DJI log gamma, so probably lend themselves to be tested for grading. There's also a couple of shots using a foam filter for the microphones in quite heavy wind. Please feel free to download and have a play with them.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder ... o_Pocket_test_files

Here's a playlist of the videos on YouTube for those who can't download the files. They're in 4K/UHD for those who can view them.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLleKChtNUwZTRd6-dIZKULp8-OIvTFkCi

Although I've now sent my Pocket back I've still got some videos to edit and upload to my YouTube channel  https://www.YouTube.com/DavidHarry  I will add the remaining videos to my Osmo Pocket playlist as I complete them. Here's my Osmo Pocket playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLleKChtNUwZTbIeZGG47JH0tnFUmosA8-

I've also enbedded the videos bellow, I'll add to these lists if I find anything of interest.

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-3-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for posting these informative videos you have created. You did an amazing work and thank you for sharing.
2019-3-15
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I notice that the OP does little 'twitches' side to side while you are walking.  Mine does this even when I am certain that it's not caused by me.  I woul dhave thought the gimbal would iron these 'twitches' out.

Any suggestions which gimbal setting will prevent this?
2019-3-15
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

John Walker Posted at 3-15 16:30
I notice that the OP does little 'twitches' side to side while you are walking.  Mine does this even when I am certain that it's not caused by me.  I woul dhave thought the gimbal would iron these 'twitches' out.

Any suggestions which gimbal setting will prevent this?

Hi John.

I no longer have my Pocket and can't remember what DJI call the various gimbal modes. Usually there's a mode that's POV on all gimbals, basically the camera is locked forward and the motors are used to stabilise the position of the camera. Try this POV mode, or whatever DJI call it.

In POV you are in control of what the gimbal is pointing at. If you're in any of the tracking modes then the camera may try to lock onto something and move.

There's also other things to watch out for that can cause jerky movement. When the shutter is set manually or automatically very high this can cause a stuttering effect, not so much the gimbal looking like it's jumping but frames looking like they're skipping.

Even when shooting 180 degrees if the exposure allows, for instance 1/50 for 25 FPS, I also noticed certain jerky movements. This shouldn't happen and seemed to suggest the gimbal itself was maybe jerking.

After using the Pocket and stressing it out with many tests, my conclusion is that it shouldn't be expected to react like a larger gimbal. With the light weight of the payload and lack of resistance and the torque of the motors, there's only so much that can be realistically expected from it.

I'm not knocking it in anyway, just being realistic. Even a cheap gimbal such as a Smooth Q will perform better for basic stabilising and also similar DJI gimbals.

I think one of the issues with the Pocket is all the focus by users on the face track or object tracking, which it does extremely well. But when used in a gimbal's basic function, pure stabilisation, you really do have to bear in mind that it's not going to perform quite the same or as well as a larger gimbal.

I personally think the Pocket is awesome when used in certain ways and would definitely revisit it when DJI refine it and when certain questions are answered about certain peripherals, the mic adaptor. I've worked professionally for over 30 years in audio and about 20 years in video/film and was really looking forward to matching up the Pocket with professional mics and doing a few tutorials on how best to acquire dialogue and how to get the best sound from it in post. But I was quite put off with DJI's stance on the mic adapter and complete lack of information and audio examples. I'm really surprised that DJI didn't get people with audio experience to do some videos to show what the system's capable of.

The one thing that can't be argued with about the Pocket, niggles aside, is just how convenient it is. DJI did a real good job promoting certain video aspects of the Pocket, I just wish they'd been as attentive with the audio. I actually sent them an email offering to do some mic demos in exchange for a mic adaptor ahead of its release but never even got a response.

I just hope the backlash over the audio adaptor doesn't take too much shine off the Pocket. But when people realise that there are other options out there for cheap gimbals and small cameras, granted not as compact as an all in one unit like the Pocket, the interest may get less.

As a for instance. The best budget actioncam for good picture and probably the best internal mics is the Yi Lite. It's only HD but only costs about £50/$50 and can be paired with a gimbal that costs less than £100/$100. Obviously not as compact and as small as a Pocket and lacking certain functions of the Pocket. But for HD stabilised vlogging with very good audio, it may be more appealing for a lot of people to only spend about £150/$150.

Here's a video below with such a combination, I personally think the basic stabilisation is extremely good for what it is and with no real noticeable jerky movements.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-15
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

2019-3-15
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-15 11:27
Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for posting these informative videos you have created. You did an amazing work and thank you for sharing.

Hi Stephen. You are very welcome. I will add a few more links when I have time.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

David_Harry Posted at 3-15 19:34
Hi Stephen. You are very welcome. I will add a few more links when I have time.

Cheers,

It is my pleasure Dave. I will definitely wait and check those link that you are going to be posting in the future. Have a safe and happy filming always.
2019-3-16
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Thanks for sharing
2019-3-17
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

You are very welcome.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-18
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Great! Thanks for posting
2019-3-18
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

David_Harry Posted at 3-18 05:26
You are very welcome.

Cheers,

2019-3-19
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi.

If you're interested I'll be doing some more downloadable examples soon. This time I plan on making full notes of the picture settings etc. for very specific testing. With a bit of luck I may also be doing some examples with various types of mics, cardioids, lavs, wireless lavs, shotgun, atoms stereo and maybe a dynamic or two.
Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules