Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Bloated batteries
12Next >
12952 58 2019-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MervTheSoon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1987031 ft
Singapore

Hi all, who has had their batteries bloated with less than 6 months of using it?

I have 2 so far and i had a crash thanks to this!

2019-3-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

What are you using to recharge Batteries?   Do you run Batteries hard, as in constant high speed, fighting strong winds, or carrying payloads?
2019-3-15
Use props
MervTheSoon
lvl.2
Singapore

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-15 18:30
What are you using to recharge Batteries?   Do you run Batteries hard, as in constant high speed, fighting strong winds, or carrying payloads?

Normal flying only, from where i am not much winds to fight with...
2019-3-15
Use props
MervTheSoon
lvl.2
Singapore

Just to check DJI Batteries for Mavic 2 is warranty for 6 mths or a year?
2019-3-15
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

MervTheSoon Posted at 3-15 19:47
Just to check DJI Batteries for Mavic 2 is warranty for 6 mths or a year?

6 months, or 200 charge cycles whichever comes first..

did you leave the batteries fully charged for an extended period of time like a month?
2019-3-15
Use props
MervTheSoon
lvl.2
Singapore

HereForTheBeer Posted at 3-15 20:10
6 months, or 200 charge cycles whichever comes first..

did you leave the batteries fully charged for an extended period of time like a month?

Normally i set the batts to discharge after 10 days - which it normally does
2019-3-15
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

MervTheSoon Posted at 3-15 20:24
Normally i set the batts to discharge after 10 days - which it normally does

but self discharging isn't known to be most reliable... so have you left them idle long period of time at full charge?  few weeks a month or so on?
2019-3-15
Use props
akozc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Macao

What ever I say could not  be better then this:   
Althought  is for Mavic Pro it is also  applicable to Mavic 2 Pro batteries.
2019-3-16
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

How low do you discharge them? Less than 30%?
2019-3-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Has happened out of the box on one occasion with me (original MP) but I just returned it to Apple and it was replaced.
2019-3-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Can you post photos of this bulging, others might know what to look out for .
2019-3-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day MervTheSoon. I am sorry to know that your DJI Mavic 2 Pro crashed due to a bloated battery. This is not the experience we want you to have with DJI. We highly recommend syncing your flight records using the DJI GO 4 app and contact our support for our team to provide an appropriate solution and initiate the investigation. The repair fee would depend on the warranty of the product and the outcome of the investigation. Just a reminder that if the warranty of the said drone has already expired then DJI will not be able to perform a data analysis for the said drone. You may refer to the link below to contact our DJI Support Team. In addition we don't recommend to use your DJI Mavic 2 Pro with bloated battery because this can damage your Aircraft. Please dispose your battery safely. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/support

2019-3-16
Use props
Francis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

Always when i will no fly for a while i leave all batteries only 60% charged. Never full charge them and let it to self discharge..
2019-3-16
Use props
MervTheSoon
lvl.2
Singapore

HereForTheBeer Posted at 3-15 20:36
but self discharging isn't known to be most reliable... so have you left them idle long period of time at full charge?  few weeks a month or so on?

After about a week or so between flights
2019-3-18
Use props
MervTheSoon
lvl.2
Singapore

hallmark007 Posted at 3-16 02:48
Can you post photos of this bulging, others might know what to look out for .

Notce the middle batt is not flat at all and also there is a widening gap on the mid section of the batt
the middle and left batts are bloated already- mores erious is the middle one

2019-3-18
Use props
MervTheSoon
lvl.2
Singapore

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-16 07:14
Hello and good day MervTheSoon. I am sorry to know that your DJI Mavic 2 Pro crashed due to a bloated battery. This is not the experience we want you to have with DJI. We highly recommend syncing your flight records using the DJI GO 4 app and contact our support for our team to provide an appropriate solution and initiate the investigation. The repair fee would depend on the warranty of the product and the outcome of the investigation. Just a reminder that if the warranty of the said drone has already expired then DJI will not be able to perform a data analysis for the said drone. You may refer to the link below to contact our DJI Support Team. In addition we don't recommend to use your DJI Mavic 2 Pro with bloated battery because this can damage your Aircraft. Please dispose your battery safely. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/support

Yes i have already sent you guys a report

report  number #2023920

Hope u can assist

Thanks
2019-3-18
Use props
MrTitan
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Really sorry to hear you've suffered 2 swollen LiPo's.  That's definitely bad luck considering you mentioned they were well cared for.  DJI's intelligent battery control processing chip is pretty clever and usually looks after the cells surprisingly well as long as the battery is stored correctly, but any LiPo battery can obviously suffer from a manufacturing defect.  Frustrating.

How did the swollen battery lead to a crash?  Did the battery swell during flight and cause a power-panic issue that forced the drone to land at a bad moment?  Or was it something else?
2019-3-18
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Just a thought. Using the battery serial numbers, can you check with DJI when they were manufactured. If they are old stock, they would have been in a low charge state for a very long time. This is the sort of treatment that users would normally avoid to keep the batteries in reasonable condition.
Check the forum for battery issues to see if this is a recent trend. I think it might be.
Also, the UK police have not had good experiences from their DJI drone batteries where the drone drops from the sky long before the battery charge became depleted. Their guidance reports that DJI said there were no firmware issues, so it could point to manufacturing faults. We will never know the truth, but faulty batteries could be the cause.
There is no certainty that your charger is functioning properly. How would you know?
I had a plug in charger for my car generating a USB output for my phone. That suddenly failed and the first I knew of it was the very high temperature of the phone. The charger had developed a fault, but there were no outward signs, like smoke...
2019-3-18
Use props
DH_Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

MervTheSoon Posted at 3-18 00:39
[view_image]

Notce the middle batt is not flat at all and also there is a widening gap on the mid section of the batt

How many cycles is on them?
2019-3-18
Use props
dronie1965
Second Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

did you by accident drop them as i know lipo batteries can swell or even start burning when this happened. I dropped a battery once and fell from stairs, fortunately nothing happened, but it can indeed happen.
2019-3-18
Use props
Koelkop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22814806 ft
South Africa

MervTheSoon Posted at 3-18 00:35
After about a week or so between flights

Do not store the batteries with a full charge on it for extended periods. My 3 batteries are now a year old with 230 cycles each and they show no swelling at all. They get cycled almost every 2nd day. If you are not going to use it try to store them at 60%+-.
2019-3-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

MervTheSoon Posted at 3-18 00:48
Yes i have already sent you guys a report

report  number #2023920

Hello and good day MervTheSoon. Thank you for the additional information you have provided. We have sent you an email with response to the said matter. Please check your email and if you have any concern with the said email. Please feel free to respond to it for us to help you further. Thank you.
2019-3-18
Use props
MervTheSoon
lvl.2
Singapore

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-18 11:14
Hello and good day MervTheSoon. Thank you for the additional information you have provided. We have sent you an email with response to the said matter. Please check your email and if you have any concern with the said email. Please feel free to respond to it for us to help you further. Thank you.

Yes, thanks! I have already sent a reply by email
2019-3-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

MervTheSoon Posted at 3-25 00:19
Yes, thanks! I have already sent a reply by email

You are very much welcome MervTheSoon. If you have any other concerns or inquiry. Please feel free to post it here at DJI forum. We are all here to help and support you.
2019-3-25
Use props
djiuser_wcAtEDVAoVWp
New

It is happen to many Mavic 2 User, and me as a new user of mavic 2 zoom also worried about it.
Any problem solving of it?
Dji please do something, it is attacked many people, they are your consumers.
2019-9-18
Use props
Carlos Read
New

Swelling batteries is a general complaint of all users of Mavic 2 drones.  Obviously, DJI is going to have to find a solution for this issue.  I bought my Mavic 2 pro on December 28th, 2018, and three more batteries were added to my drone case during the following month.  ALL 4 batteries are bloating now, one more than the others.  But I am not flying it anymore, until I can purchase new batteries.  But at US$140.oo per unit, It will take me several weeks to be able to buy 4.  None of my batteries have 50 cycles, and I have followed every advice to take good care of them. In my opinion, DJI shouldn't have taken this drone out in the market before doing extensive tests. They are losing more now, if you consider all the batteries they have had to replace under warranty, and the doubt that they have planted in the consumer's minds (that is priceless!) : Next time DJI launches a new product, Will I buy it right away? Will I wait a few months? Will I buy it at all?
2019-9-19
Use props
JFPC Hornero
lvl.2
Flight distance : 718143 ft
Argentina

Hello;  talking about bloated batteries and consequently deformed ones,  unfortunately in my case, after a little more than 1 year, this picture shows you my 3 batteries, which in the course of less than 1 month have become unusable ... I can not put at risk my Mavic 2 (I operate it by exchanging Zoom and Hasselblad gimbals). Each battery has about 52 charge cycles, so with them I have totaled about 150 hours of flight. If I consider an average performance of 25 minutes per charge and against a cost of each battery of US $ 155, it turns out that my Mavic 2 returned my investment resulting in a cost / benefit of US $ 7.15 per hour of flight. I know that in the equation I must also tell that those $$ have provided me so many gratifications, accompaniing me on long trips and walks, with incredible footage and photographs, wonderful memories provided by a technologically fantastic artifact.  But ... in this particular, I think this performance leaves me a little bit of costly taste ... and sadness   
Baterias inchadas.jpeg
Baterias inchadas.jpeg
2019-10-19
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

Francis Posted at 3-16 16:28
Always when i will no fly for a while i leave all batteries only 60% charged. Never full charge them and let it to self discharge..

You dont need to discharge them. The lithium chemistry itself will begin to discharge in 5 to 7 days
2019-10-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

JFPC Hornero Posted at 10-19 12:57
Hello;  talking about bloated batteries and consequently deformed ones,  unfortunately in my case, after a little more than 1 year, this picture shows you my 3 batteries, which in the course of less than 1 month have become unusable ... I can not put at risk my Mavic 2 (I operate it by exchanging Zoom and Hasselblad gimbals). Each battery has about 52 charge cycles, so with them I have totaled about 150 hours of flight. If I consider an average performance of 25 minutes per charge and against a cost of each battery of US $ 155, it turns out that my Mavic 2 returned my investment resulting in a cost / benefit of US $ 7.15 per hour of flight. I know that in the equation I must also tell that those $$ have provided me so many gratifications, accompaniing me on long trips and walks, with incredible footage and photographs, wonderful memories provided by a technologically fantastic artifact.  But ... in this particular, I think this performance leaves me a little bit of costly taste ... and sadness   [view_image]

Hi JFPC Hornero, we apologize for what happened to the batteries, please contact our support team www.dji.com/support to report the issue for further assistance.
2019-10-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 95125112 ft
  • >>>

JFPC Hornero Posted at 10-19 12:57
Hello;  talking about bloated batteries and consequently deformed ones,  unfortunately in my case, after a little more than 1 year, this picture shows you my 3 batteries, which in the course of less than 1 month have become unusable ... I can not put at risk my Mavic 2 (I operate it by exchanging Zoom and Hasselblad gimbals). Each battery has about 52 charge cycles, so with them I have totaled about 150 hours of flight. If I consider an average performance of 25 minutes per charge and against a cost of each battery of US $ 155, it turns out that my Mavic 2 returned my investment resulting in a cost / benefit of US $ 7.15 per hour of flight. I know that in the equation I must also tell that those $$ have provided me so many gratifications, accompaniing me on long trips and walks, with incredible footage and photographs, wonderful memories provided by a technologically fantastic artifact.  But ... in this particular, I think this performance leaves me a little bit of costly taste ... and sadness   [view_image]

Do you know the manufacture date of the batteries,  there seems to be a couple of months where this was a common issue.  Mostly August 2018 I believe.
2019-10-21
Use props
Ruben_M2P
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1308051 ft
Norway

Hi
I have a DJI Mavic 2 Pro fly more combo with 3 batteries that was purchased November 24, 2018.
It has a total flight time of 61 hours. The batteries are charged about 50 times each. After flyting today I noticed a slight swelling on the bottom of the batteries. I've always taken good care of the batteries and stored them in a cold place. I honestly thought the batteries would last longer. This must surely be a guarantee matter?
2019-10-21
Use props
JFPC Hornero
lvl.2
Argentina

DJI Mindy Posted at 10-20 19:54
Hi JFPC Hornero, we apologize for what happened to the batteries, please contact our support team www.dji.com/support to report the issue for further assistance.

Thank you for your reply. I will.
2019-10-21
Use props
JFPC Hornero
lvl.2
Argentina

DAFlys Posted at 10-21 00:33
Do you know the manufacture date of the batteries,  there seems to be a couple of months where this was a common issue.  Mostly August 2018 I believe.

Yes, you are totaly right : I bought my Mavic Zoom and the Fly More Combo on August 2018, as seen in the box, so it could be a manufacturing issue. Thank you for your colaboration.  
2019-10-21
Use props
JFPC Hornero
lvl.2
Argentina

DAFlys Posted at 10-21 00:33

Yes, you are totaly right : I bought my Mavic Zoom and the Fly More Combo on August 2018, as seen in the box, so it could be a manufacturing issue. Thank you for your colaboration.  
2019-10-21
Use props
Francis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

S.J Posted at 10-20 12:59
You dont need to discharge them. The lithium chemistry itself will begin to discharge in 5 to 7 days

I don t let my batteries fully charged so long.
2019-10-22
Use props
wjtve
lvl.2
Flight distance : 75121 ft
United States

akozc Posted at 3-16 02:18
What ever I say could not  be better then this:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzc45iaYGcY
Althought  is for Mavic Pro it is also  applicable to Mavic 2 Pro batteries.

Thanks fro this information
2019-10-22
Use props
akozc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Macao

JFPC Hornero Posted at 10-21 18:06
Yes, you are totaly right : I bought my Mavic Zoom and the Fly More Combo on August 2018, as seen in the box, so it could be a manufacturing issue. Thank you for your colaboration.  [view_image]

I would suggest do not expose your drone S/N publicly  
2019-10-22
Use props
JFPC Hornero
lvl.2
Argentina

akozc Posted at 10-22 20:32
I would suggest do not expose your drone S/N publicly

Thanks for your suggestion. I´ll keep it in mind.
2019-10-29
Use props
Mirage711
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1206969 ft
United States

I have 4 bloated batteries two drones have fallen from the sky because of these batteries it's absolutely terrible that DJI doesn't do something about their battery problem they did replace the drones for me because and only because I had the refresh plus warranty. Come on DJ I fix this problem.
2019-11-16
Use props
InfraMan
lvl.1
United States

Are the Mavic Mini Batteries covered under the Refresh Program?
2019-11-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules