Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Data & Requirements
609 5 2019-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mavic2First
lvl.1

United States

Hi,

First post, first drone. I have been looking all over and I can't find this info so I am hoping someone can give it to me straight. I am looking at getting a tablet to operate my new drone. Sorry, no Apple. I guess that leaves me Android since it seems no other O/S works. I have read and some have mentioned that not all of the features will work on the drone unless the controller is attached to a device that also has cell service, 4G. This of course would normally be a cell phone but I don't want to use a small 7" screen. I know there are some tablets that have wifi and 4G but is this really required? I wish the specs that are needed would be better than this info listed below.

Requires Android 5.0 or later.
Compatible with Samsung S9+, Samsung S9, Samsung S8+, Samsung S7, Samsung S7 Edge, Samsung S6, Samsung S6 Edge, Samsung Note 8, Huawei P20 Pro, Huawei P20, Huawei P10 Plus, Huawei P10, Huawei Mate 10 Pro, Huawei Mate 10, Huawei Mate 9 Pro, Huawei Mate 9, Huawei Mate 8, Honor 10, Honor 9, Vivo X20, Vivo X9, OPPO Find X, OPPO R15, OPPO R11, Mi Mix 2S, Mi Mix 2, Mi 8, Mi 6, Redmi Note 5, Google Pixel 2XL, OnePlus 6, OnePlus 5T.

*Support for additional devices available as testing and development continues.

The issue with this list, these are phones. I should also mention that the Huawei brands are a no go too. What I see consistently from DJI is the device needs to have 4g and wifi but this is not necessarily true because many of you use tablets. I have been here, http://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/best-tabletsphones-for-dji-go.18 and I have looked at this list but again, no list of actual requirements.  

Why can't I find a device actual requirements list that shows what the device must have to make use of all the drones functions? DJI must know what this is, they just launched a controller with a large screen built in. In the list it says it supports the new OcuSync 2.0 Full-HD video transmission technology, the DJI Smart Controller supports automatic switching between 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz, reducing the influence of environmental interference on drone operation and image quality. This also ensures reliable long-range transmission at distances of up to 8 km. What do I need to make sure this will work?

In a nutshell, what are a tablets actual requirements to use all the functions of the drone? Do I only need wifi? Do I need 4G? Can we please produce a list of these requirements?

Thanks!  

2019-3-16
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

Others should have more or better information.

I used an 8 inch Samsung Tab with only wifi.  

You probably do NOT need cell service but it might be handy in some instances.  If you wind up in a place where you did not download maps of the local area, having cell service would help you grab the local/current maps.  Also, if you find yourself in a NoFlyZone (NFZ), you can sometimes gain permission by text messaging since they send you a text code.  But if you have a cell phone with you you can still get the text.  (possibly rare in any event).  Also, if your cell has hot spot capability, you could employ that with a wifi tablet for maps.  Also, you can cache maps while at home with wifi in advance.  I have cached maps for the Los Angeles area if I visit my sister down there.  I also cached maps of Sun Valley in advance of a trip there.  

A tablet/phone with gps can be handy in some circumstances.  Advanced procedure - but you can change a Home Point to where the controller is, if the tablet/phone has internal gps.  

A big issue is bright light visibility and functioning in heat/cold.  Some phones/tablets don't do well in those situations.  Their list of tested devices is very narrow.  Avatar name escapes me at the moment but Drone - Help guy (sorry, guy!) has a much more exhaustive list of devices folks have used.  

Some of us have invested in the new Smart Controller but it is definitely a pricey investment and as it is new, still has its quirks.

2019-3-16
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Xiaomi MI Pad4 with LTE, works great! ( 8 inch, 4 GB ram, 660 snapdragon)
Xiaomi MI Max2 with LTE, 6,4 inch (works great!)
Xiaomi MI Max3 with LTE, 6,9 inch (not in use nut should work great too)

2019-3-16
Use props
Mavic2First
lvl.1

United States

Here is another thought. Could you use a Chromebook? Is it something I can use or does it have to be Android?
2019-3-17
Use props
Mavic2First
lvl.1

United States

I did find this, https://www.androidcentral.com/these-are-chromebooks-can-run-android-linux-apps and it seems this could be possible if not now, very soon. Thoughts?
2019-3-17
Use props
JPilotR
First Officer
Flight distance : 584662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've used a Samsung Tablet "A" (no data), and Ipad Pro 9.7 (with data), a Google Pixel 2 (with data) and the Smart Controller (no data). It was advantageous to have the data available, but the Samsung Tablet seemed to perform just fine for me (And the SC is fine too, just expensive). It (the Samsung) is also a "middle-size" tablet -- not too big, but no too small either. Never thought of using a Chrome tab, but since my Chromebooks run some Android apps just fine, it may be possible? Good luck!
2019-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules