Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Bad news: Man killed retrieving drone in Forest Park
739 12 2019-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lysak2003
Second Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

A man died in Forest Park Saturday evening and another was injured after attempting to retrieve an unregistered quadcopter “drone” near electrical wires.

Forest Park Police say the incident was reported around 6:23 p.m. in the 800 block of Needle Drive. The victim, Ruff Fitzgerald Teasley, 37, was trying to knock down the drone when the pole he was using touched power lines, electrocuting him. Police tried to revive him until Forest Park Rescue arrived and transported him to a local hospital. Sources say the victim was never revived.

Teasley's brother, Calvin, 29, told police he had been trying to knock the drone out of a tree when Ruff came home from work. When Ruff tried to help, the pole touched the wires. According to the police report, Calvin Teasley told police the shock hit them both so hard, Ruff Teasley was thrown on top of the storm drain and Calvin landed right next to him.
Of the 34 drones in Clayton County registered with the Federal Aviation Administration, three are in Forest Park. A check of FAA registration records does not show a drone registered to either victim nor to the address where the accident happened.

According to the U.S. Airspace Map, the address of the incident falls within restricted airspace around Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. 

Source: https://www.news-daily.com/features/man-killed-retrieving-drone-in-forest-park/article_d32b3863-e21e-5af5-89cb-45e6b038df36.html

2019-3-17
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

Very sad to hear this news.  That's why I don't fly near power lines. I have a high voltage power line at the front of my property & I keep well away from them. I assume they used a metal pole?  I'm an 'A' grade electrician/electrical contractor & would use clean PVC conduit & wear HV gloves to recover anything near power lines, or call the power company for assistance. The shock may not cause death directly , but the fall maybe the cause? Either way, it's sad news. Thanks for sharing.  Condolences to his family.
2019-3-17
Use props
SAADHERO
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2269905 ft
France

thats sad to hear
i always wondered what to do in such time
call the electricity department or use something that is bad conductor perhaps a plastic with rubber case and thick gloves  
2019-3-17
Use props
Lysak2003
Second Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

SAADHERO Posted at 3-17 02:48
thats sad to hear
i always wondered what to do in such time
call the electricity department or use something that is bad conductor perhaps a plastic with rubber case and thick gloves

The best way - to call powerline company. As a professional electromechanic I can say there are plenty options how electricity could harm you even through the air: it’s always matter of distance and voltage.
2019-3-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to read that
2019-3-17
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Sorry to read that, thanks for sharing it.
2019-3-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello Lysak2003. I am very sorry to know about these news and information that you have posted today. Let us all be safe in using or retrieving our drone always to be able to avoid these horrible situations. Thank you.
2019-3-17
Use props
MccloudSpark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27562 ft

United States

So sad and avoidable.  
2019-3-17
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sad indeed.
2019-3-17
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Sad news.
2019-3-18
Use props
Sayhelloforme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Wow, what a way to go. That’s really sad news. Take no chances around power lines.
2019-3-18
Use props
ArnoSpark
lvl.4
Kenya

So sad indeed, but true the best option it to call the power company to assist in that, however they didnt do that since none of the drones they were trying to get are theirs.
May he RIP and lesson to all of us when sometimes you cant handle a situation its not a shame to ask for help instead of getting into worse troubles. Thanks for sharing tho
2019-3-18
Use props
pmshop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

Power companies won't do it here in the states as it is no threat to their power lines if caught in a tree.
I had to call a tree trimming service 3 times in my days LOL
2019-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules