Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Wheel focusing speed
10905 20 2019-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
carlosbartual
lvl.1
Spain

Hi friends, to date I was not able to use my ART series objectives from sigma to canon in my ronin s. I use a 5d mk IV canon.
After reading in the forum I discovered how I can use the manual focusing wheel of my ronin s in my canon camera with ART sigma lenses.
To refresh the memory for those who do not know, the Dual Pixel CMOS AF autofocus system in video of the canon 5d mk IV must be stopped from the function:
  Servo AF in video ON a pause. it can be deactivated from the menu or from the screen on the left side below. with the official dji cable supplied for the canon, we place it so that the ronin s acts on the canon 5d mk IV. As soon as Servo AF is paused, the dji focus automatically starts to work on the lenses, in my case the ART sigma lenses.
Up to here everything seems correct, but I find an important lack in the wheel of focus.
I do not know if it is by ignorance or because this function does not exist, but in the app of android to control the adjustment of our ronin s does not appear any option to control the focus.
I think the speed of rotation with respect to the movement of the focus of the lens is very slow.
I mean, you have to rotate a lot of turns to get the focus from a foreground to a background plane.
I think there are moments when the wheel should be able to act on the path of the lens over half a turn to have a quick manual focus.
I think it should be something similar to what aputure offered with its V-GRIP VG-1, this was compatible with canon 5d II, you could control the focus manually by pressing two buttons front and back. But I had three levels of speed 1, 2, 3. in the ronin app s would be interesting a section for the focusing wheel. just as for the movements of the Joysticks we have low, medium, high and custom, it would be very interesting this option to precisely control the speed of focus. many times we want very slow and smooth movements, but other times we want to focus manually very quickly. I really find it curious that the original focus design didn't take this important detail into account, for example a quick button to switch to a different focus speed mode. But that's no longer possible. At least to have it inside the app would be very important.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

2019-3-17
Use props
Patrick Seguin
lvl.1
Canada

If you go have a look in the thread about the new software you will see that it doesn't work for many people. I have the same problem with my EOS R and a native 50mm RF lens. on the firmware information it says that its supported, but its not. you need to keep turning the wheel like crazy to move it by a low amounts. and if you change the speed on the app it jumps focus.
2019-3-17
Use props
carlosbartual
lvl.1
Spain

Patrick Seguin Posted at 3-17 18:18
If you go have a look in the thread about the new software you will see that it doesn't work for many people. I have the same problem with my EOS R and a native 50mm RF lens. on the firmware information it says that its supported, but its not. you need to keep turning the wheel like crazy to move it by a low amounts. and if you change the speed on the app it jumps focus.

and if you change the speed on the app it jumps focus.

You say change speed in the application? where is the option to change the speed of the focusing wheel? personally in the app for android I do not see it.
2019-3-19
Use props
fans71e6be66
lvl.1

United States

carlosbartual Posted at 3-19 09:18
and if you change the speed on the app it jumps focus.

You say change speed in the application? where is the option to change the speed of the focusing wheel? personally in the app for android I do not see it.

This is exactly what I am looking for as well. I am on an iPhone, running the ronin with the latest firmware. It takes forever to get from Foreground to Background. I definitely need a faster option as I film live events and need to be able to focus much faster then the current mode. I have no idea where the adjustment for the wheel is, and I've searched youtube videos for hours and haven't ran into anything on it at all.
2019-3-19
Use props
Patrick Seguin
lvl.1
Canada

fans71e6be66 Posted at 3-19 14:25
This is exactly what I am looking for as well. I am on an iPhone, running the ronin with the latest firmware. It takes forever to get from Foreground to Background. I definitely need a faster option as I film live events and need to be able to focus much faster then the current mode. I have no idea where the adjustment for the wheel is, and I've searched youtube videos for hours and haven't ran into anything on it at all.

For the Focus Wheel speed setting it's in the app. i have an iPhone 7+ and with the canon EOS R there are 3 choice of speed. I think by default it's in the middle. when i put it to the highest it jumps focus. and i suspect that it jumps focus as well on lower speed you just dont see it.
2019-3-20
Use props
carlosbartual
lvl.1
Spain

could you please upload a screenshot of your smartphone where you change these options, or at least tell us the route from the start menu to get to this option. Thanks again.
2019-3-20
Use props
dantastic
lvl.4
Taiwan

It's in the create menu at the bottom, don't know why they put it there. For my nikon on Android it won't let me change the speed even though the option is there.
2019-3-21
Use props
carlosbartual
lvl.1
Spain

dantastic Posted at 3-21 19:21
It's in the create menu at the bottom, don't know why they put it there. For my nikon on Android it won't let me change the speed even though the option is there.

Hello would you be so kind to upload a screenshot in my Create section, it just appears:
video, panorama, timelapse, motion lapse and track.
Could it be that it is inside the Track?
Could you confirm in which section this, thank you
2019-3-27
Use props
dantastic
lvl.4
Taiwan

I think it is only visible when connected to the gimbal and with the camera connected and turned on at the same time, there should be an extra option in the create menu when the camera is connected
2019-3-28
Use props
carlosbartual
lvl.1
Spain

dantastic Posted at 3-28 00:11
I think it is only visible when connected to the gimbal and with the camera connected and turned on at the same time, there should be an extra option in the create menu when the camera is connected

thank you, tomorrow I confirm this matter
2019-3-29
Use props
carlosbartual
lvl.1
Spain

I confirm operation and speed change of focusing wheel with Canon camera and sigma Art lenses. In the create section when we have camera with the control cable connected and the afservo In pause mode, we can access the android app and change the speed of the focus wheel. It works great, thanks DJI.
Screenshot_2019-03-30-13-21-36.png
Screenshot_2019-03-30-13-21-41.png
2019-3-30
Use props
Sxeon
lvl.1
Mexico

carlosbartual Posted at 3-30 04:32
I confirm operation and speed change of focusing wheel with Canon camera and sigma Art lenses. In the create section when we have camera with the control cable connected and the afservo In pause mode, we can access the android app and change the speed of the focus wheel. It works great, thanks DJI.

Thanks, had the same problem with my GH5. One thing that I notice though, is that the focusing is smoother when focusing slow, although useless when shooting, it'd take years to pull focus with it.

It'd be great if DJI could update those steps when focusing fast.
2019-4-1
Use props
carlosbartual
lvl.1
Spain

Sxeon Posted at 4-1 09:09
Thanks, had the same problem with my GH5. One thing that I notice though, is that the focusing is smoother when focusing slow, although useless when shooting, it'd take years to pull focus with it.

It'd be great if DJI could update those steps when focusing fast.

I agree with you, the fast speed is perhaps something excessive and with very long pulse intervals. I think that DJI should leave a numerical adjustment for the user to choose manual the speed of rotation. The example would be with the adjustment of the motors with the joskting, that there is a manual adjustment option
2019-4-4
Use props
robertglotzbach
lvl.3
Netherlands

Great to have found this post; thank you :-)
Trying to find to 'pause' Servo AF, can only see 'Movie servo AF Disable'  (page 4 in the first menu item) or is that what you meant?
Turning the DJI zoom wheel creates an action (soft tikking) in the lens but no movement of focus, seems to be locked somehow.

Any suggestion on what i am missing?
Many thanks,
kind regards, Robert
2020-4-1
Use props
robertglotzbach
lvl.3
Netherlands

robertglotzbach Posted at 4-1 02:52
Trying to find to 'pause' Servo AF, can only see 'Movie servo AF Disable'  (page 4 in the first menu item) or is that what you meant?
Turning the DJI zoom wheel creates an action (soft tikking) in the lens but no movement of focus, seems to be locked somehow.

Nevermind.... problem solved... thought to be clever and put lens on Manual

Thanks, robert
2020-4-1
Use props
carlosbartual
lvl.1
Spain

robertglotzbach Posted at 4-1 02:52
Trying to find to 'pause' Servo AF, can only see 'Movie servo AF Disable'  (page 4 in the first menu item) or is that what you meant?

but which Canon camera is it? mine is a 5d4.
This servo appears on the screen on the left side below.
2020-4-1
Use props
robertglotzbach
lvl.3
Netherlands

carlosbartual Posted at 4-1 05:01
but which Canon camera is it? mine is a 5d4.
This servo appears on the screen on the left side below.

Thank you Carlos :-)

Yes its a Mark iv also, although cannot switch of AF from live view but have to go into the menu and switch of there. Working fine now. My only concern is that its hard to see if i'm actually in focus or not from the build in LCD. Maybe should connect an external monitor and see how that works for me. Would be even better if the screen would show the focus info from the lens in meters or whatever, and then dial in on that while changing focus while shooting.

Regards, robert
2020-4-3
Use props
carlosbartual
lvl.1
Spain

robertglotzbach Posted at 4-3 23:41

Yes its a Mark iv also, although cannot switch of AF from live view but have to go into the menu and switch of there. Working fine now. My only concern is that its hard to see if i'm actually in focus or not from the build in LCD. Maybe should connect an external monitor and see how that works for me. Would be even better if the screen would show the focus info from the lens in meters or whatever, and then dial in on that while changing focus while shooting.

I am very happy with the swit monitor that works very well and is very economical. It also has little weight.
I had to make an aluminum lateral support to reinforce the lateral grip a little.
Regarding the HDMI cable, I bought this:
https://www.flyonixstore.co.uk/product/hyper-thin-mini-hdmi-hdmi-cable-80cm/
It is very good light and fast.

On the other hand I bought an RSS cable that DJI sells, it has a white connector. Then I bought two clip connectors and solder the wires to the male female connectors.
The cable is a traditional smartphone USB type. The RSS cable has different cables among it I checked the 5.1V voltage output this voltage output comes from the focus wheel connector. So the minimum voltage for the Monitor of the brand swit work is 5V.
With this I do not have to use a battery and it is less weight. Be careful, the focus wheel only comes out 5.1V, there is no possibility of 12V.
The advantage of removing light from this point is that the cable is not crossing through
15859983370165854367879824996026.jpg
15859984347322713005627412828548.jpg
15859985347715019903034506284303.jpg
1585998662899673830271678182657.jpg
15859988129873023636979912030270.jpg
2020-4-4
Use props
carlosbartual
lvl.1
Spain

I also attached the battery for the Canon so both the monitor and the dslr are powered from the Ronin s. This takes away weight. But I recommend buying the DJI external charger and another DJI mango battery. surely you will not be able to use 12 hours feeding the three pieces. especially at a wedding.

2020-4-4
Use props
carlosbartual
lvl.1
Spain

About manual focus. In case you're doing it like me.
The focus of the target must first be, af activated. It is important that the lenses are autofocus but internal, that is to say that the external size of the lens does not change the focus is internal. As you know  Economical lenses when you focus the focus tube moves and changes the dimensions of the lens. Those kinds of approaches are not very accurate.
Once AF is activated on the lens, we put video mode and the LCD turns on.
As indicated, AF servo is active and the camera is in charge of focusing.
AF servo appears below left. Attached photos.
When you click on the green color, it changes to gray.
So the camera stops controlling AF. If you move the wheel then you can focus manual.
Indicate that you must have a DJI control cable to the Canon connected.
It should work for you yes or yes. update the ronin-s and also the smartphone app. Another thing from the smartphone you can control the speed of the focus.
15860006682236404577098916530742.jpg
15860007090533609845953497489621.jpg
2020-4-4
Use props
fansbf7e8476
New

Germany

hi,

facing the same problem. was thinking about buying the focus motor, do use it with the focus wheel and the manual focus ring on the lens.
this should working properly, right? that i would be able to pull the focus from the background to foreground more quick and smoothly?

thanks for your advice

—-

ps.: @dji, it would be great if u could fix the focus-wheel bug regarding the use without the motor
2021-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules