643 16 2019-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChrisJG
First Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Finally, after nearly a year (slow on the uptake huh!) I figured out that the AEB mode in teh camera settings, takes three exposures of the same object at the correct, under and over exposure. After a while of cursing and cussing, I merged the three in Lightroom...the image though looks a little unnatural...whats the trick to making this work? has any one got a good method please? Thanks,
Chris

Resized HDR

Resized HDR
2019-3-17
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Did you also use Sharpen???  Maybe Sharpen is set to automatically render in your setup.  It just looks over sharpened to me.  Compare this 3 into 1 with just the best one of the three...if one of those is really good I would always use that versus combining 3 into 1.
2019-3-17
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 3-17 14:44
Did you also use Sharpen???  Maybe Sharpen is set to automatically render in your setup.  It just looks over sharpened to me.  Compare this 3 into 1 with just the best one of the three...if one of those is really good I would always use that versus combining 3 into 1.

Thanks, I’ll don’t think so, but there were 4 settings to choose from, so did the guy thing and chose ‘maximum’ which is possibly why it’s in that state. Am going to try again tomorrow and see.
Cheers for your advice.
2019-3-17
Use props
MccloudSpark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27562 ft

United States

The technique is referred to as High Dynamic Range and is meant to be put together with special HDR software.  I have used Luminance and Photomatics to do the job (both are free).  Sorry if you already know this...
2019-3-17
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MccloudSpark Posted at 3-17 18:05
The technique is referred to as High Dynamic Range and is meant to be put together with special HDR software.  I have used Luminance and Photomatics to do the job (both are free).  Sorry if you already know this...

Thank you, I ‘discovered’ HDR yesterday for the first time, but didn’t know about the software that you mention, so will check it out.
2019-3-17
Use props
MavSpa_user
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

There is a lot on youtube about HDR , I do it in adobe. Watch the 32 bits option in this video, I think it's the same in lightroom

2019-3-17
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MavSpa_user Posted at 3-17 23:45
There is a lot on youtube about HDR , I do it in adobe. Watch the 32 bits option in this video, I think it's the same in lightroom
https://youtu.be/-Yf6VVdE798

Thank you, that looks like it will be really helpful!
Cheers, Chris!
2019-3-18
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

Nicely done!
As for HDR merge feature in Lightroom, you always can switch off Auto settings and do your adjustments manually. What actually do this HDR? It simply extend your colour range the way you can show more detail on the image. But as for jpeg it is not work properly as it's already compressed and some information  has irreplaceably lost.  We can get proper HDR only by shooting RAW (not available on Spark).
AEB can be really helpful when shooting in lack of light condition and it is hard to choose right exposure value.
2019-3-18
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lysak2003 Posted at 3-18 04:05
Nicely done!
As for HDR merge feature in Lightroom, you always can switch off Auto settings and do your adjustments manually. What actually do this HDR? It simply extend your colour range the way you can show more detail on the image. But as for jpeg it is not work properly as it's already compressed and some information  has irreplaceably lost.  We can get proper HDR only by shooting RAW (not available on Spark).
AEB can be really helpful when shooting in lack of light condition and it is hard to choose right exposure value.

Thank you, and yes to losing detail in the jpeg - another reason why I’m thinking of upgrading to a Mavic Air, but so many decisions to make as the Zoom looks good too.
2019-3-18
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

ChrisJG Posted at 3-18 04:19
Thank you, and yes to losing detail in the jpeg - another reason why I’m thinking of upgrading to a Mavic Air, but so many decisions to make as the Zoom looks good too.

It's always matter of budget. From Zoom to M2P is "only" 250$. And that is the point where I am looking
2019-3-18
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Isn't HDR supposed, to look "different", kind of harder, crispy?
And you had a clear sky on top,  I think.

I had a good one, HDR with the Spark, about a year ago.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-144679-1-1.html
But a bit hazy, in the golden hour.
I think, even on phones, HDR always comes out a bit 'crispy'

Was it a bit windy, perhaps?
2019-3-18
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lysak2003 Posted at 3-18 04:53
It's always matter of budget. From Zoom to M2P is "only" 250$. And that is the point where I am looking

Once it gets into that amount of money, I question things as this is a side hobby to my astronomy...there's always an eyepiece from Televue or Pentax to tempt my wallet. You will always need more batteries?

Think at £749 a good price for the Air Fly More Combo - I asked why refurbished yesterday  https://www.jessops.com/p/dji/ma ... -refurbished-154112 but their chat bot said to ask DJI!
2019-3-18
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

S-e-ven Posted at 3-18 05:00
Isn't HDR supposed, to look "different", kind of harder, crispy?
And you had a clear sky on top,  I think.

I think so, yes, but it's a fine balance I think. Your example is excellent!
2019-3-18
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Have you tried a different program to create it?
2019-3-18
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Ah, reminds of me of days when HDR just started.... ;)
With raw and better software, HDR is looking more natural nowadays.
2019-3-18
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

S-e-ven Posted at 3-18 08:00
Have you tried a different program to create it?

Not yet, I’ve taken a slightly different route and will in the near future be filming with raw files!
2019-3-18
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 3-18 08:46
Ah, reminds of me of days when HDR just started.... ;)
With raw and better software, HDR is looking more natural nowadays.

Haha, yes! I’ll be filming in raw files in a week or so I hope!
2019-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules