Image and Filters
785 14 2019-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chromium Flight
lvl.2

United States

Are lens filters worth it, if so which give the most bang for your buck? Additionally, for some reason, I have noticed that the image on my spark fluctuates (or adjusts) even when I have auto set to lock, or have shifted to manual while taking video. Is this something I have just not noticed that is normal or am I missing something here?
Thanks
2019-3-18
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

I always have a filter on...just to protect the lens.  I have hit bugs or vice versa and better to scratch a cheap filter than my one and only lens.  I almost exclusively use a PL (polarizing) filter to reduce glare and make colors more vivid.  Don't know about the issues you're having with fluctuating lighting.
2019-3-18
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 3-18 16:31
I always have a filter on...just to protect the lens.  I have hit bugs or vice versa and better to scratch a cheap filter than my one and only lens.  I almost exclusively use a PL (polarizing) filter to reduce glare and make colors more vivid.  Don't know about the issues you're having with fluctuating lighting.

What type of cp filter do you use ? I have one for my phantom but not the spark, yet.
2019-3-18
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Filters give the more  cinematic look to your videos. I don’t use them when taking photos because I lose sharpness.
2019-3-18
Use props
MccloudSpark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27562 ft

United States

I have the 3-set Polar Pro filters - Polarizer, ND8, ND16.  They are generally thought of as being the "best".  Easy on/off, very light weight, no gimbal overload issues on the Spark, lifetime warranty.  The PL filter reduces glare when shooting water (allows you to "see" deeper into the water.  The ND8 reduces by (about) 3 f-stops and the 16 by 4 f-stops.  Filters are mainly used when shooting video.  For the Spark (which shoots at 30FPS) you want to shoot using a shutter speed of 60.  This creates the motion blur that we are used to seeing in video.  Filters help you achieve that shutter speed.

Sorry - probably more than you wanted to know
2019-3-18
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

MccloudSpark Posted at 3-18 21:02
I have the 3-set Polar Pro filters - Polarizer, ND8, ND16.  They are generally thought of as being the "best".  Easy on/off, very light weight, no gimbal overload issues on the Spark, lifetime warranty.  The PL filter reduces glare when shooting water (allows you to "see" deeper into the water.  The ND8 reduces by (about) 3 f-stops and the 16 by 4 f-stops.  Filters are mainly used when shooting video.  For the Spark (which shoots at 30FPS) you want to shoot using a shutter speed of 60.  This creates the motion blur that we are used to seeing in video.  Filters help you achieve that shutter speed.

Sorry - probably more than you wanted to know [view_image]

I have the 3 set Polar Pro, too.
2019-3-18
Use props
nilanjan118
Second Officer
Flight distance : 636663 ft
Japan

MccloudSpark Posted at 3-18 21:02
I have the 3-set Polar Pro filters - Polarizer, ND8, ND16.  They are generally thought of as being the "best".  Easy on/off, very light weight, no gimbal overload issues on the Spark, lifetime warranty.  The PL filter reduces glare when shooting water (allows you to "see" deeper into the water.  The ND8 reduces by (about) 3 f-stops and the 16 by 4 f-stops.  Filters are mainly used when shooting video.  For the Spark (which shoots at 30FPS) you want to shoot using a shutter speed of 60.  This creates the motion blur that we are used to seeing in video.  Filters help you achieve that shutter speed.

Sorry - probably more than you wanted to know [view_image]

Is this the one you are talking about?
https://www.polarprofilters.com/ ... spark-filter-3-pack
2019-3-18
Use props
MccloudSpark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27562 ft

United States

nilanjan118 Posted at 3-18 23:05
Is this the one you are talking about?
https://www.polarprofilters.com/ ... spark-filter-3-pack

Yes - They also have a 6-pack for double the money.
2019-3-19
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have not used filters with my Spark, but I use 3 sets with my M2P and I like them. They're useful for taking videos, so I suggest you may try it.
2019-3-19
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

Do you also adjust White Balance manually? Auto WB can cause fluctuations of image.
2019-3-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Chromium Flight. I am sorry for the trouble. You may try to use filters to rectify the said issue. Filters allows slower shutter speed for cinematic video and polarizer reduces glare for increased color saturation. For additional reference I will be posting a link where in you can find the overview and the specifications for the PolarPro Spark Filters. Thank you.

https://store.dji.com/product/po ... ion=0&vid=34031

2019-3-19
Use props
Chromium Flight
lvl.2

United States

Thanks for the feedback as well as the provided response and information above
2019-3-20
Use props
BRentAP03
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74872 ft
United States

Yes! I would highly recommend filters, otherwise the shutter speed is too high and gets jittery!
2019-3-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Chromium Flight Posted at 3-20 04:29
Thanks for the feedback as well as the provided response and information above

You're most welcome. Should you need any help. Please feel free to contact us. Thanks for your continued support.
2019-3-21
Use props
BrianSC
Second Officer
Spain

Worth it? Yes. I use Polar pro for my Spark. Makes a difference for video. Not that much for photos. Have the UV on when not using ND though, to protect the lens.
2019-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules