Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI please help with P4P v2 Drift
2168 18 2019-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DeepFriedOprah
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1709094 ft
United States

The inabaility of this aircraft to fly in a straight line is driving me insane. The example below is immediately after remot, compass, and imu calibration. You can clearly see that I am square with the sidewalk and the aircraft with the only input being forward pitch still drifts to the right. I have attached a fpv video and a video of the flight log showing that the only input to the phantom is forward pitch. Winds wer 5 mph or less in the opposite direction of the drift.
If there is any other data I can provide to assist please let me know.

Thanks
Jason
2019-3-18
Use props
DeepFriedOprah
lvl.3
United States

Awesome, posted two days ago and no help at al........l
2019-3-20
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My p4p v1 does that and the same side too,
2019-3-20
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

If you are expecting DJI staff to come on here and assist you, you need to know that this is largely a user forum, and the only real help you will get is from members. All the DJI people will say is to send it in for repair.
2019-3-20
Use props
DeepFriedOprah
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 3-20 19:49
If you are expecting DJI staff to come on here and assist you, you need to know that this is largely a user forum, and the only real help you will get is from members. All the DJI people will say is to send it in for repair.

Well I was kind of hoping for a little input from dji....
2019-3-20
Use props
DeepFriedOprah
lvl.3
United States

Bashy Posted at 3-20 19:43
My p4p v1 does that and the same side too,

I did another IMU calibration on a perfectly level hard surface, it flies perfectly straight at 100, 200, 300, and 400 feet. At 60 feet it’s crooked as hell.. This test was without the V2 props, I used obsidian props. I’m going to try several different scenarios and take notes over the weekend.
Here is what my IMU numbers were before calibrating

And after calibration
2019-3-20
Use props
Opspeculate_2nd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 694508 ft
Canada

Same here man. I have countless examples and if you search this same yaw drift issue you will find posts from all recent models doing the same thing not just the p4. This is hosted on DJI.com by design so it is not only users reading this. DJI have responded to this very issue and we have been waiting a year for the fix... Send it in for repair...? How about sending one that works in the first place. No one on here has said the replacement they got back works... They don’t repair just replace. Phantom 1 and 2 were awesome... solid... reliable... P3 they stared to use cheaper components and now it looks like they can’t fly or hover in a straight line at all. So much for improvements... it has just got worse... Every version mysteriously gets live view bricked from a fw update. Just search and correlation becomes apparent even in simple searches.
I like many others have every phantom since 2013. All worked great until live view bricking on phantom v2 v2+ Right after a crappy fw update. Then p3p... I learned my lesson and did not update... still have live view on that one and works great.

This latesest p4pv2 in the phantom series can’t stay still at all... not wind... not your watch... change in your pocket... metal in you head... come on man... the excuses here are not even logical. I have a compass and a gps I use in the deep wilderness or in the city. They always work in my metal Jeep and outside of it... in a metal building... in a metal plane... so just stop telling people this makes any real difference. It may when calibrating but not really unless they live with magnets. Also normal compass drift is slow and small and hardly noticeable and in the phantoms flight range, it turns sideways within 100 meter of flying.

They are not fooling anyone and proof is in the pudding.

Silence make you look like a fool DJI

Man up and actually fix it or recall and refund.

Out Of Stock for a year LOL... Do you really think anyone believes this.

Out of brains, know how, resources, integrity and customers is more like it.

I have waited patiently watching and reading these posts and the fact you ignored this guys posts is enough. Time for all with this issue to speak up.

I can post hours of examples just like others so you can easily take one off the shelf and obviously see the same thing.

Search the entire forum here for the yaw issue... can’t fly strait... yaw drifting or drift... all will provide days and days of post reading from more than just phantoms... the era they were manufactured looks like a possible factor but the yaw drift has nothing to do with IMU Cal ,Compass Cal, RC Cal, or anything a user can control. It flies sideways sometimes it is so bad so beyond a little glitch. Completely unsafe to fly and I have reported to TC here in Canada because that is my responsibility when flying commercial operations.

I have flown mine for TC testing and the drone does not fly straight... my other 4 previous phantoms fly straight and not one post since 2013 not flying straight... only last year or so on new ones...

CORRELATION!

2019-3-21
Use props
DeepFriedOprah
lvl.3
United States

After my IMU calibration it is still drifting at 60 feet AGL, but at 400 feet it is nearly straight as an arrow (I dont know if it was drifting at 400 feet before the IMU calibration). This is with the obsidian props not the "quiet" props. I'm going to test all of this out with different scenarios and record the results to hopefully pinpoint what makes it worse. I've also noticed that it doesn't matter if I fly east or west on a street it will always drift to the south. My issue isn't yaw, the yaw of the UAS remains unchanged when I fly.
Here is my flight at 400 AGL
2019-3-21
Use props
indykurt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 981 ft
United States

Mine used to fly strait also, Last year one of the updates changed it and I calibrated using assistant with no change. I was told that litchi was the only way to get a cinematic run with a strait line. I still havent used it but just cutting my footage shorter to hide the waywardness. I looked back on past footage and this thing ran strait as an arrow but now I have totally cut out all strait runs out of my footage.
2019-3-21
Use props
Rockyraaccoon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 982382 ft
United States

I also experience unusable footage due to unexplained yaw drift. I get the yaw drift during hover and forward flight. I should maybe test to see if the yaw drift shows up during an intelligent flight mode such as tap fly or POI.

This is pretty painful to deal with, but it was made much more painful after draining 8 batteries with my Mavic Air.....never even noticing a bobble. It was windy and I was flying all manual flight. Never noticed any deviance in yaw during any part of the flight. The Mavic Air was solid as a rock and super stable.

It's very frustrating to experience such unstable yaw characteristics  out of an expensive "Professional" level drone, when my smaller "consumer/ prosumer" level drone performs flawlessly.

Through some research, I've read that replacing the V2 quiet props with the regular props from the P4P helps eliminate Yaw drifting.....but nothing has been reported as fact. Has anybody found relief using this method?
2019-3-22
Use props
DeepFriedOprah
lvl.3
United States

Rockyraaccoon Posted at 3-22 05:32
I also experience unusable footage due to unexplained yaw drift. I get the yaw drift during hover and forward flight. I should maybe test to see if the yaw drift shows up during an intelligent flight mode such as tap fly or POI.

This is pretty painful to deal with, but it was made much more painful after draining 8 batteries with my Mavic Air.....never even noticing a bobble. It was windy and I was flying all manual flight. Never noticed any deviance in yaw during any part of the flight. The Mavic Air was solid as a rock and super stable.

My 400 foot video is without the quiet props, but I need to do more testing to verify whether or not it matters.
2019-3-24
Use props
IM35461
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2235417 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If not tried already I would also calibrate the gimble which has to be done with the drone on a level surface.

I think this has helped my one so at least it can stay in the air pointing at the same location without the image moving.
2019-3-24
Use props
SCARd4Life
lvl.1
United States

Rockyraaccoon Posted at 3-22 05:32

Just tested on my P4P v2 and replacing the props with my P4 props did not seem to help.  Has anyone else had luck with changing to the old props?  
2019-4-6
Use props
Opspeculate_2nd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 694508 ft
Canada

SCARd4Life Posted at 4-6 07:01
Just tested on my P4P v2 and replacing the props with my P4 props did not seem to help.  Has anyone else had luck with changing to the old props?

I did too and no difference with the old props but I think they fly better.

I did find a fix for mine though now no more yawing issues....

Here

Opspeculate's Yaw Drift Fix
2019-4-6
Use props
DeepFriedOprah
lvl.3
United States

Opspeculate_2nd Posted at 4-6 07:09
I did too and no difference with the old props but I think they fly better.

I did find a fix for mine though now no more yawing issues....

WOW!!! that is very interesting, maybe I will give that a try....
2019-4-28
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I've returned at least 5 P4Ps with this same issue and it keeps happening over and over again. It's a widely documented and pervasive issue amongst most operators but DJI don't care. Never had this issue on my P4 or P3A but it seems to be baked into the P4Ps horrendous gimbal.
2019-4-29
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Australia

SCARd4Life Posted at 4-6 07:01

This issue has nothing to do with props and everything to do with the horrendous gimbal on the P4P. The drone flies in a straight line but the gimbal keeps wandering around.
2019-4-29
Use props
DeepFriedOprah
lvl.3
United States

gyrex Posted at 4-29 21:00
This issue has nothing to do with props and everything to do with the horrendous gimbal on the P4P. The drone flies in a straight line but the gimbal keeps wandering around.

Did you watch my video? There is no way that is a wacked out gimbal. You can clearly see the aircraft is drifting
2019-10-25
Use props
DeepFriedOprah
lvl.3
United States

Seven month old post and not a peep from DJI..........
2019-10-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules