Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What wind speeds do you find acceptable?
1522 15 2019-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MaineMavick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 169524 ft
United States

If I see the wind speed is over 10mph (8.6 knots) and the gusts are above 20 mph I don't fly for safety.

Wondering what kind of winds others are ok flying in.
2019-3-19
Use props
AlansDronePics
Captain
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Anything risky like over water, 3-6 mph max, blowing to shore. Open countryside 12 mph max. Hills and cliffs will be turbulant and unpredictable, so apart from avoiding the turbulance by keeping away, wind towards me and 8 mph max. Gusting is assessed after takeoff checks by rising straight up to my final altitude and watching behaviour and wind warnings. I make certain not to wander far beyond LOS. Most of my photography is close in.

2019-3-19
Use props
DaMa
Captain
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

First I was a bit afraid with wind ... Today, about 20 degrees on the spot is OK for me. No idea how much wind that is. My Mavic has never drifted anywhere ... I fly 98% in SP mode.
2019-3-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day MaineMavick. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I hope you'll get the best information and recommendation here from our valued DJI Members and Customers with regards to the this inquiry. Just a friendly reminder that when the wind speed is higher than 6 m/s, the DJI Go 4 application will prompt that the wind speed is high. When the speed is higher than 9 m/s, a warning will be shown on the said application. Thank you.

2019-3-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A fresh breeze is fine - 20-25MPH with my M2P. My Inspire is steady as a rock in 30MPH+ gusts.
2019-3-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I live in the north west of Ireland 20mph is a light breeze;+):::: , usually I would say your top speed in P mode should be OK, and these speeds are different for different craft .
2019-3-19
Use props
timtwomey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2164206 ft
United States

The problem is 20kts on the ground might be 40 or 50kts at 300'.  All depends on what kind of flying you are planning on.
2019-3-19
Use props
JPilotR
First Officer
Flight distance : 584662 ft
  • >>>
United States

It also depends on the "temperment" of the wind, if you will. A variable gusty wind creates for more turbulence and more difficulty for the drone. This is why you give caution when around buildings, topographical features, groups of trees, etc.. Atleast with a sustained, less variable wind, you have some consistency and predictability on how to fly with the wind. I guess then, a "less predictable" wind would call for a lower wind speed limits, whereas with a more sustained wind from one direction with less variables, you could accept a higher wind speed. What those specific limit speeds are, well, I guess it depends on how I feel that day and risk matrix.
2019-3-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

DaMa Posted at 3-19 11:33
First I was a bit afraid with wind ... Today, about 20 degrees on the spot is OK for me. No idea how much wind that is. My Mavic has never drifted anywhere ... I fly 98% in SP mode.

Today, about 20 degrees on the spot is OK for me. No idea how much wind that is

As in chain on gate post is at a 20-degree angle?  That would be some breeze.  

2019-3-19
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would say 15 sustain and no more than 25 gust. Although I have flown my MP in 30mpg.
2019-3-19
Use props
DaMa
Captain
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 3-19 12:17
I live in the north west of Ireland 20mph is a light breeze;+):::: , usually I would say your top speed in P mode should be OK, and these speeds are different for different craft .

That's my experience too. As long as the MP can be flown against the wind everything is fine.
2019-3-20
Use props
*DM*
First Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

If its windy at ground level it's probably twice that up there.

I live at the coast and strong winds are normal.

Whilst I have flown (briefly) in strong winds it's always a risk and I certainly wouldn't do it near water or a NFZ. - Perhaps a field and in very close proximity/low altitude.

Add to this that the new Mavics switch off sensors in strong wind so collision is a greater possibility.

We had nearly two weeks of strong winds here and I haven't flown.

Why risk it.
2019-3-20
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

These quads really do an excellent job handling the wind, I’ve flown in winds of 35 to 45 mph. I’ve had many close calls but have always manage to land safely....
2019-3-20
Use props
Boffin
First Officer
Australia

I find this app quite useful, UAV Forecast
It's quite scary to see how wind-speed increases with altitude and a good reason why to lose height when flying home against the wind with a low battery
2019-3-20
Use props
MaineMavick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 169524 ft
United States

Woe Posted at 3-19 12:40
I would say 15 sustain and no more than 25 gust. Although I have flown my MP in 30mpg.

I've ended up in strong wind and sport home has always made it home. The terrain here in Maine creates lots of gusts even on very calm days.
2019-3-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

MaineMavick Posted at 3-20 05:29
I've ended up in strong wind and sport home has always made it home. The terrain here in Maine creates lots of gusts even on very calm days.

The key is getting it back home in one piece.
2019-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules