First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

https://www.dpreview.com/article ... aign=traffic_source

2019-3-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there Captain. Thank you for sharing this Article and this may give an idea to other members as well. Best regards!
2019-3-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You know it’s strange that who ever wrote the article , when talking about Atti mode he is referring to older drones . Atti mode is now automatic in all new dji drones inspire 2 phantom 4 pro, Mavic Pro Mavic Air and Mavic 2, only with P4Pro and inspire can you switch to Atti mode and while this is not necessary, it’s the practice that users are looking for.
I agree to learn Atti you first need to be in Atti mode and you need to be in a very big open space and you need many many hours practice, not an odd flight here and an odd flight there.
In order to pass my commercial I spent hours practicing Atti mode and this was for test that lasted probably 1 minute in a very safe location.
I read here everyday people saying it’s easy to fly in Atti mode just look at your small little arrow it’ll get you home, ridiculous Sh#t, I have only ever seen a couple of guys who I felt were competent of flying Atti, these were both film camera men who have been flying since god was a boy.
So heading into town after two Atti practice flights is not going to cut the mustard, in the US to get a 107 you don’t have to do any practical examination, it’s totally different in UK and Ireland , it’s a lot more comprehensive and requires all to produce an operations manual.
So firstly flying in Atti mode should not be treated so flippantly.

Regarding flying in town over people, if this is ok then I find this crazy and asking for trouble, but I don’t think this is right, maybe it is in the US but it’s not in Europe thanks be to God.

It seems for 107’s you need to have done arisk assessment but for hobbyists none, like where is the logic in all this.
You can set RTH 3 metres higher than the tallest building in the area your flying in, does all 107 hobbyists need the geography of every building in town.

I find the whole article bazar ,I don’t think the information is correct , but as I’m not familiar with the drone flying rules in the US , I await others to verify what is and isn’t correct.

I have to conclude none of this is any good for drone flyers .
2019-3-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

From the article - "Practicing in a large, open field with few trees and obstacles is the best method for learning how to maintain control of a drone when it won’t automatically hover in place."

That would be for starters.  Author said reason why it would only be for starters earlier in aritcle - "and drifting caused by wind tunnels lurking between high-rise buildings."

Flying a drone in ATTI mode in an area where there are sudden changes from steady direct wind to dead air to swirling winds to up & down drafts is whole different level of piloting.
Simple act of changing altitude in such an area can cause drone to experience different winds and drafts.  

Based on author having experience flying near buildings, she knows all that, but failed to communicate it.

2019-3-19
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

The things I took from the article were these:-
1/ If you can switch to ATTI mode and I can only do this on my P3P, not mavic, pro, then in a large open unpopulated area, it would be a great way for real drone enthusiasts to sharpen flight skills. If you can get the drone to manoeuvre precisely in that mode, then you have more chance of controlling your drone when it goes into ATTI mode unexpectedly. I like to get in quite close to the subject, for snaps, if I can.
2/ I remember walking in on a conversation between experienced Microlite trainers and one was saying that it isn't a question of 'if the aircraft will fail in flight, but when.' They were talking about long flights over water, but this happens with real aircraft, even with twin engines. My point being, regardless of the risk assessment, I would never attempt to fly over populated areas, least of all cities. Even if I was qualified to do survey work, I would not do it unless the area below was free of people .It might be cheaper to put a drone up, but not safer, within the context of the article. In contrast, I do enjoy watching other droners over-city flights, especially at night. Their risk, my pleasure.
2019-3-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

AlansDronePics Posted at 3-20 00:44
The things I took from the article were these:-
1/ If you can switch to ATTI mode and I can only do this on my P3P, not mavic, pro, then in a large open unpopulated area, it would be a great way for real drone enthusiasts to sharpen flight skills. If you can get the drone to manoeuvre precisely in that mode, then you have more chance of controlling your drone when it goes into ATTI mode unexpectedly. I like to get in quite close to the subject, for snaps, if I can.
2/ I remember walking in on a conversation between experienced Microlite trainers and one was saying that it isn't a question of 'if the aircraft will fail in flight, but when.' They were talking about long flights over water, but this happens with real aircraft, even with twin engines. My point being, regardless of the risk assessment, I would never attempt to fly over populated areas, least of all cities. Even if I was qualified to do survey work, I would not do it unless the area below was free of people .It might be cheaper to put a drone up, but not safer, within the context of the article. In contrast, I do enjoy watching other droners over-city flights, especially at night. Their risk, my pleasure.

The thing about risk assessment is you have to do it get it passed and I know of no one who would pass this kind of risk for flying a drone, unless the risk included all participants signing a waiver including all persons being flown over.

The problem I have is in the article it said that hobbyists could do this without permission and I don’t think this is correct or it’s plain crazy .
2019-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules