DIY stereo mic for your Pocket
1415 29 2019-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi.

Now that it's been confirmed that the Pocket does accept a stereo signal via its mic adaptor, here's a high quality small stereo mic that I've put together that should work well with the Pocket.

I'm doing a two part how to and example of the mic with another YouTuber. I'll be doing the build/modification process and they'll be doing the demonstrating. This video is just a first cut of the modification process but may be useful to those who are familiar with a soldering iron. Once I've done the full how to guide and have the audio examples, I'll update this post and replace this video with the final ones. Like I said, I'm just posting this as it may give those who are familiar with such things some ideas.

It's worth bearing in mind that the ECM capsules used for this build are the Primo EM172. These are by far the best omni ECMs for anywhere near their price, they cost about £12 for a single capsule and about £30 for a matched pair from MicBooster.

https://micbooster.com/primo-mic ... _capsules-unmatched

https://micbooster.com/primo-mic ... _capsules-2_matched

These capsules are very sensitive and have very low self noise and have the highest output I've come across for an omni ECM. I do a number of builds with this capsule, including a camera mountable wide stereo field atmos microphone that records a binaural type stereo field and I make up lavs with them, they're really good.

This particular build doesn't have a wide stereo field but due to its size it happens to be matched physically well to the Pocket's audio interface. Basically, this mic is very light weight and would hang from the Pocket's adaptor and only put a very minimal strain on it. It also articulates, so would be good for positioning out of the way of any grip/rig system used with the Pocket.

If anyone is interested I'll dig out some examples of the wide stereo atmos mic, although this would have to be mounted to a rig as it's too heavy for the Pocket's adaptor.

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-3-19
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Cool! Thanks for sharing
2019-3-20
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

What's the point? The mic adapter does not give stereo sound. Mono all the way no matter whether the mic is stereo.
2019-3-20
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

markr041 Posted at 3-20 07:38
What's the point? The mic adapter does not give stereo sound. Mono all the way no matter whether the mic is stereo.

Hi Mark.

The point is that the Pocket does indeed record stereo via the microphone adaptor, this has now been confirmed by DJI Stephen in another post.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D549%26typeid%3D549

Hello and good day Rek. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. The output will depend on the microphone you will be using on the 3.5mm mic adapter. If the external microphone is mono recorded, then the recorded or output  audio is mono. And if the external microphone is a two-channel stereo mic, then the recorded or output audio will be a two-channel stereo. Thank you.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-20
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

jacksonnai Posted at 3-20 05:23
Cool! Thanks for sharing

You are very welcome.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-20
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

David_Harry Posted at 3-20 08:24
Hi Mark.

The point is that the Pocket does indeed record stereo via the microphone adaptor, this has now been confirmed by DJI Stephen in another post.

And yet, after that reply, there was this.
Don't forget, Two channel and stereo may have the same meaning in translation but not be an accurate assessment. I would like to hear from the developing team. No disrespect to the moderators here.
2019-3-20
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 3-20 11:13
And yet, after that reply, there was this.
Don't forget, Two channel and stereo may have the same meaning in translation but not be an accurate assessment. I would like to hear from the developing team. No disrespect to the moderators here.

Hi Ray.

I appreciate that but Stephen was very clear about saying two channel, so obviously either stereo or a mono split depending on the source and wiring.

Also, the test that you done did clearly show two different channels when you used a stereo music source.

As soon as I can get hold of an adaptor I'll be doing some very extensive testing including frequency sweeps and single frequency pan tests. These kind of tests will definitely show if there is any leakage across the channels during the encoding and processing or cross talk/bleed.

I still don't understand why there haven't been any demonstrations of the adaptors abilities by DJI or why no third parties have done any empirical tests.  

Cheers,
Dave.   
2019-3-20
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Hi Dave.

Did you read through the whole thread?
Maybe I should have posted on one of yours as well but I added a later link to another attempt with the line level output into my Pocket.

New Test.

Bursts onto left then right channels. Both came out on both channels.

A lot of the normal review channels seem to be avoiding saying anything at all about the Osmo Pocket.
DPreview said they would do a review but never followed through. Perhaps because there is nothing really to compare it to for comparison but it never stopped them before.
2019-3-20
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

David_Harry Posted at 3-20 08:24
Hi Mark.

No it does not record stereo. You do not have the adapter, so you do not know what *you* are talking about. And the DJI PR  glad-handers here are clueless - they do not know anything technical about the camera or adapters. No user of the adapter in this forum or on YouTube has been able to record true stereo. And that includes me using a DJI approved stereo mic and a number of different mics, all of which record stereo on a Hero7 Black with the GoPro external adapter. Mono, mono, mono only.
2019-3-20
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

markr041 Posted at 3-20 16:48
No it does not record stereo. You do not have the adapter, so you do not know what *you* are talking about. And the DJI PR  glad-handers here are clueless - they do not know anything technical about the camera or adapters. No user of the adapter in this forum or on YouTube has been able to record true stereo. And that includes me using a DJI approved stereo mic and a number of different mics, all of which record stereo on a Hero7 Black with the GoPro external adapter. Mono, mono, mono only.

If DJI say it's stereo, then it's stereo.

2019-3-21
Use props
lummox
lvl.4
United States

David_Harry Posted at 3-21 13:20
If DJI say it's stereo, then it's stereo.

If it’s stereo (as in 2 discrete preamps and A/D channels), then there’s some mystery processing going on.

The resultant audio is definitely not stereo. The binaural recordings I have made with it do have some stereo image when recording sounds with low transients, but the left-right finger-snap test fails. The opposite ear appears delayed a little, but with same amplitude.

2019-3-21
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

lummox Posted at 3-21 14:34
If it’s stereo (as in 2 discrete preamps and A/D channels), then there’s some mystery processing going on.

The resultant audio is definitely not stereo. The binaural recordings I have made with it do have some stereo image when recording sounds with low transients, but the left-right finger-snap test fails. The opposite ear appears delayed a little, but with same amplitude.

Hi.

I don't doubt that there are issues, which does appear to be some sort of the psychoacoustic/phase cancellation processing that the Pocket uses for its internal audio, which may be got around with a FW update. But it does encode two discreet channels and by definition is stereo capable and DJI Stephen has confirmed that the adaptor is two channel and stereo capable.

There's no argument that there are a number of issues but that neither precludes the Pocket's ability to record stereo or to encode stereo.

I'll be using my binaural mic and other stereo sources to test when I've received an adaptor and will post some examples.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-21
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

David_Harry Posted at 3-21 14:56
Hi.

I don't doubt that there are issues, which does appear to be some sort of the psychoacoustic/phase cancellation processing that the Pocket uses for its internal audio, which may be got around with a FW update. But it does encode two discreet channels and by definition is stereo capable and DJI Stephen has confirmed that the adaptor is two channel and stereo capable.

This is just balderdash. The fact is with the adapter the camera does not record in stereo, no matter what stereo source is used. Mono, mono, mono is what is recorded. "DJI Stephen" has no idea what he is talking about. He is PR man, not a technician. He is evidently completely clueless about any technical aspects of the camera. He has not responded to all of the reports of users, knowledgeable users, whose tests indicate the sound is mono no matter what the source. And he has not responded to requests for  any technical specs on this adapter. Not a single person  in the entire internet has been able to record a stereo clip with the adpter, none.
2019-3-21
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

markr041 Posted at 3-21 17:00
This is just balderdash. The fact is with the adapter the camera does not record in stereo, no matter what stereo source is used. Mono, mono, mono is what is recorded. "DJI Stephen" has no idea what he is talking about. He is PR man, not a technician. He is evidently completely clueless about any technical aspects of the camera. He has not responded to all of the reports of users, knowledgeable users, whose tests indicate the sound is mono no matter what the source. And he has not responded to requests for  any technical specs on this adapter. Not a single person  in the entire internet has been able to record a stero clip with the adpter, none.

Well, I'll just take it that someone from DJI knows more about their own products than someone who doesn't work for DJI.
2019-3-21
Use props
lummox
lvl.4
United States

Here is a test I did. My first youtube post here - hope this works..
Listen with headphones.

2019-3-21
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

David_Harry Posted at 3-21 17:05
Well, I'll just take it that someone from DJI knows more about their own products than someone who doesn't work for DJI.

That is stupid. *All* the actual users of the product report the same thing - mono. A biased representative of DJI, who has no training in audio or video - is just a gladhander trying to be nice - should not be trusted by anyone. You are completely entitled to live in your fantasy world and ignore actual evidence. Your posts have brought nothing to the discussion but wishful thinking and scientific denial. I would not care except I do not want anyone to have the slightest doubt that this adapter does not yield true stereo recordings, and any denial by that is based on nothing, by people who have not actually used the device. Btw, I love the OP and I would truly be very happy if the adapter permitted stereo recordings. I am not bashing the OP, just ignorant posts.
2019-3-21
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

lummox Posted at 3-21 17:36
Here is a test I did. My first youtube post here - hope this works..
Listen with headphones.

Hi.

Thanks for the example. It does prove that there are two distinct channels being recorded and from what would appear to be two distinct inputs. But it also clearly shows huge issues with separation and what would appear to be processing issues with phase etc.

As has already been suggested by Ray, it would appear that the processing for cancellation that's used with the internal audio system, is unnecessarily being applied to external sources.  Assuming that this is the case and that the microphone routing isn't fixed to an audio DSP that has fixed elements, I'd imagine that this can be resolved in software.

It wouldn't surprise me if we see a FW update that bypasses the audio processing, or at least part of it, to allow an unimpeded pass through for the external sound sources.

Cheers,
Dave.  
2019-3-21
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

markr041 Posted at 3-21 17:38
That is stupid. *All* the actual users of the product report the same thing - mono. A biased representative of DJI, who has no training in audio or video - is just a gladhander trying to be nice - should not be trusted by anyone. You are completely entitled to live in your fantasy world and ignore actual evidence. Your posts have brought nothing to the discussion but wishful thinking and scientific denial. I would not care except I do not want anyone to have the slightest doubt that this adapter does not yield true stereo recordings, and any denial by that is based on nothing, by people who have not actually used the device. Btw, I love the OP and I would truly be very happy if the adapter permitted stereo recordings. I am not bashing the OP, just ignorant posts.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, even you.
2019-3-21
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

David_Harry Posted at 3-21 18:00
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, even you.

Its not an opinion. It's a fact - no stereo from this adapter.
2019-3-21
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

markr041 Posted at 3-21 19:46
Its not an opinion. It's a fact - no stereo from this adapter.

Well actually, you've not supported your claim with any empirical evidence what so ever, so by definition, it's only an opinion you have.

Maybe instead of just giving an opinion, prove what you're saying and give some video and audio examples. If you are capable.

2019-3-21
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

David_Harry Posted at 3-21 20:22
Well actually, you've not supported your claim with any empirical evidence what so ever, so by definition, it's only an opinion you have.

Maybe instead of just giving an opinion, prove what you're saying and give some video and audio examples. If you are capable.

No is not an opinion. I performed the tests with the stereo Sony ECMCS3. The fact that you did not see or hear them does not turn my discovery into an opinion. You are evidently logically challenged. If you want to call me a liar, then just do it plainly. The fact is that not a single person has uploaded a stereo recording using the adapter. So, you have no evidence you can show that the adapter can record stereo. You have an ignorant, stubborn opinion with no factual support whatsoever. And I have the facts, with absolutely nothing that contradicts my facts. There are other posters reporting stereo tests that provide the same answer as mine. Mono, mono, mono.

Btw, your favored DJI PR guy could jump in any time and refute my fact, with evidence or a spec. I have posted a thread boldly reporting my test and the conclusion that the adapter is incapable of yielding stereo. Yet, he does not contradict. There is also no spec available anywhere in the world on this adapter claiming stereo. Just your posts, based on nothing. You do not even own the adapter.
2019-3-22
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

markr041 Posted at 3-22 05:20
No is not an opinion. I performed the tests with the stereo Sony ECMCS3. The fact that you did not see or hear them does not turn my discovery into an opinion. You are evidently logically challenged. If you want to call me a liar, then just do it plainly. The fact is that not a single person has uploaded a stereo recording using the adapter. So, you have no evidence you can show that the adapter can record stereo. You have an ignorant, stubborn opinion with no factual support whatsoever. And I have the facts, with absolutely nothing that contradicts my facts. There are other posters reporting stereo tests that provide the same answer as mine. Mono, mono, mono.

Btw, your favored DJI PR guy could jump in any time and refute my fact, with evidence or a spec. I have posted a thread boldly reporting my test and the conclusion that the adapter is incapable of yielding stereo. Yet, he does not contradict. There is also no spec available anywhere in the world on this adapter claiming stereo. Just your posts, based on nothing. You do not even own the adapter.

You've still not proven anything as to what you're saying.

Post some of your own video and audio examples to backup up your words, otherwise your words are just that, words.
2019-3-22
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

I have no OP audio adapter, I'm using my 101% stereo voice recorders,
but believing -

markr041 = 100% (he has much experience)
DJI = 0.01%

2019-3-22
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

BeterBan Posted at 3-22 05:53
I have no OP audio adapter, I'm using my 101% stereo voice recorders,
but believing -

Knowing what your idea of good audio is, I can see why you think Mark has experience with audio.
2019-3-22
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

David_Harry Posted at 3-22 05:25
You've still not proven anything as to what you're saying.

Post some of your own video and audio examples to backup up your words, otherwise your words are just that, words.

There are already videos showing the adapter does NOT give a stereo image in this forum. You go on and demonstrate it can record in stereo, since you and the equally clueless DJI PR guy are the only persons in the world disputing the lack of stereo. You don't even have the adapter. Both of you are biased - the DJI guy wants to sell DJI products and you want people to adapt your microphone suggestion (which I might be interested in doing if this thing would have produced stereo). I want desperately for the Osmo Pocket to record in stereo, but that does not make me delusional about what it actually does.
2019-3-22
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

Don't believe what you hear - and only half of what you see :-)

There are HUNDREDs (!) of dealers showing cheap ($ 0.70 - $ 7.00) mic adapters with pictures with OP,
even important dealers - but ALL they LIE, there are even earphone logos (not mic) on these adapters.
They all may work with smartphones, but NOT with OP - these are printed lies!
Some people have troubles with (expensive) GoPro adapters - why should DJI get glorification? Similar problems?

Both cameras have no built in ADC - other cameras: buy  mic with USB C connector ($ 12) and it will work!
2019-3-22
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

markr041 Posted at 3-22 10:40
There are already videos showing the adapter does NOT give a stereo image in this forum. You go on and demonstrate it can record in stereo, since you and the equally clueless DJI PR guy are the only persons in the world disputing the lack of stereo. You don't even have the adapter. Both of you are biased - the DJI guy wants to sell DJI products and you want people to adapt your microphone suggestion (which I might be interested in doing if this thing would have produced stereo). I want desperately for the Osmo Pocket to record in stereo, but that does not make me delusional about what it actually does.

You've still not supported what you are saying with any empirical evidence of your own. Instead, you keep talking about what others are saying. Are you sure you know what you are doing?
2019-3-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for sharing this information with us. Great work and thank you for your support.
2019-3-23
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-23 14:21
Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for sharing this information with us. Great work and thank you for your support.

Hi Stephen.

You are very welcome.

I have a few more configurations that work well with the Pocket's mic adaptor, I will post some more stuff as I do them.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

David_Harry Posted at 3-23 14:25
Hi Stephen.

You are very welcome.

Thank you for the additional information Dave. I will definitely wait for that post and thank you for your valued support.
2019-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules