Canadian Drone insurance
2450 11 2019-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

It's been a LONG time since I've got back into this game....so help me out Canadians...Q: Who offers the cheapest insurance ? Looking for drone only. Hoping there is some company that is doing similar to what State Farm does in the states!  Last time I checked into insurance was about a year ago (rates I recall were about $crazy).  Also anyone know if you can buy SFarm insurance if you are Canadian?  I travel to US a lot so it would be nice if I could buy their insurance for when I fly in the US...Thanks.
2019-3-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're hoping that you could get the best recommendation that you may need in regards to this insurance. Thank you for continued support.
2019-3-20
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Tony Posted at 3-20 16:41
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're hoping that you could get the best recommendation that you may need in regards to this insurance. Thank you for continued support.

Thanks Tony.  FYI I also have DJI Care Refresh...however the one time I needed to use it DJI did not support me. It was unrecoverable and 100% software and/or mechanical fault so DJI's insurance did not work as advertised.  This affected my experience extremely.  I got another Mavic Pro yesterday, flew it today and every problem I could duplicate/replicate with 100% accuracy with the old drone...doesn't exist with the new one.  That is good finally, as it at least proves to me that DJI's data analysis as I argued for months, was flawed.  Still bummed by the experience but I'm recovering slowly   I'm truly looking for 'no hassle insurance' like State Farms'.  If you are interested, I'm sure you could look up my case # by my last name.
2019-3-20
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

you are right  Randy,  insurance in Canada is way too expensive.
2019-3-21
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2255846 ft
Canada

There is https://www.charetteaviation.com/ they do only aviation insurance. I have contacted them but didn't ask for a quote yet because of the new law, I'm waiting for the dust to settle. I can't seem to find an english version of their site.
2019-3-21
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

randy.sauder Posted at 3-20 21:06
Thanks Tony.  FYI I also have DJI Care Refresh...however the one time I needed to use it DJI did not support me. It was unrecoverable and 100% software and/or mechanical fault so DJI's insurance did not work as advertised.  This affected my experience extremely.  I got another Mavic Pro yesterday, flew it today and every problem I could duplicate/replicate with 100% accuracy with the old drone...doesn't exist with the new one.  That is good finally, as it at least proves to me that DJI's data analysis as I argued for months, was flawed.  Still bummed by the experience but I'm recovering slowly   I'm truly looking for 'no hassle insurance' like State Farms'.  If you are interested, I'm sure you could look up my case # by my last name.

Hi, we're sorry to know about the mishap that happens on your drone.  May we know what specific incident you've encountered on your previous drone? For further information, the DJI care refresh doesn't cover lost or flyaway drone, however, if the drone itself is still under the manufacturer's warranty then we could offer a data analysis for us to check what was happened on your previous flight and provide an appropriate resolution. You may check the link below for your reference about the coverage of the DJI Care refresh plan.

https://www.dji.com/service/djicare-refresh/info#faq
2019-3-21
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Canada

jyc Posted at 3-21 04:07
There is https://www.charetteaviation.com/ they do only aviation insurance. I have contacted them but didn't ask for a quote yet because of the new law, I'm waiting for the dust to settle. I can't seem to find an english version of their site.

Thanks- I've contacted them just now.  FYI, by new law are you referring to our June 1 regulation that now does not including (as it did before) the requirement for 3rd Party Liability to operate a drone in Canada?  Funny how they dropped this without a lot of (or any comment) fanfare.  I contacted Transport Canada numerous times in the past for their comment as to how they were preparing such legislation without a service provider for insurance in existence in Canada at the time .  TC said such insurance would be 'minimal cost to Canadians' in the order of 'less than $100'...big lie that was .  I'm sure they'll add back the insurance requirement on their next regulation update.  Looks like they instead swapped out their planned allowance for 'Urban Operation Allowed" and inserted the "30m horizontal distance from bystanders" requirement instead (unless you qualify for "Advanced Cert")...
2019-4-7
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Canada

Picanoc Jack Posted at 3-21 02:10
you are right  Randy,  insurance in Canada is way too expensive.

Yup, it's ridiculous how we get screwed up here .  And the fact that over 90% of our population lives within 100 or so kms of the US border, we pay huge premiums for almost everything. I'm sure our Maple Syrup is cheaper their too, like gasoline is by far cheaper
2019-4-7
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Canada

randy.sauder Posted at 4-7 16:23
Thanks- I've contacted them just now.  FYI, by new law are you referring to our June 1 regulation that now does not including (as it did before) the requirement for 3rd Party Liability to operate a drone in Canada?  Funny how they dropped this without a lot of (or any comment) fanfare.  I contacted Transport Canada numerous times in the past for their comment as to how they were preparing such legislation without a service provider for insurance in existence in Canada at the time .  TC said such insurance would be 'minimal cost to Canadians' in the order of 'less than $100'...big lie that was .  I'm sure they'll add back the insurance requirement on their next regulation update.  Looks like they instead swapped out their planned allowance for 'Urban Operation Allowed" and inserted the "30m horizontal distance from bystanders" requirement instead (unless you qualify for "Advanced Cert")...

You're welcome. I know insurance will not be compulsory with the new law but I'm in the process of evaluating my needs. Transport Canada has updated the list of aircrafts approved for advanced operations. https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services ... ng-right-drone.html So we are nearing the final stage of these changes.
2019-4-7
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Canada

jyc Posted at 4-7 18:51
You're welcome. I know insurance will not be compulsory with the new law but I'm in the process of evaluating my needs. Transport Canada has updated the list of aircrafts approved for advanced operations. https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/choosing-right-drone.html So we are nearing the final stage of these changes.

JYC- update. The company you recommended/found (Quebec) send me application (they are a broker so it's likely the ins. cos. they will send me to will be the ones I've dealt with already). They confirmed that only Damage + Liability is available through them (no Damage only like State Farm).  Too bad.  

Would love to hear from anyone else if they know how to get damage insurance only in Canada...
2019-4-8
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Canada

randy.sauder Posted at 4-8 20:25
JYC- update. The company you recommended/found (Quebec) send me application (they are a broker so it's likely the ins. cos. they will send me to will be the ones I've dealt with already). They confirmed that only Damage + Liability is available through them (no Damage only like State Farm).  Too bad.  

Would love to hear from anyone else if they know how to get damage insurance only in Canada...

Keep us posted, I would like to know as much as I can about this.
2019-4-9
Use props
USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702)
lvl.4
Canada

To add to my OP/Question: Are there any Canadian 'snow birds' out there that have the State Farm drone insurance for when they fly/reside in the USA?  This would help answer my question as this may mean that so long as you at least have a US address and fly in the US, you may qualify for a (us based) State Farm policy as a Canadian. Maybe there is an insurance agent that can enlighten us.  Thanks!
2019-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules