Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Master Airscrew Props for Mavic Air. new Video added
12Next >
7866 46 2019-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 8330174 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Cost is $20.99 plus shipping.  Cost of DJI props is $18.00 plus shipping.

The props look like DJI props however the blade is wider near the hub and tapers to the same tip.  
No winglets on the tip like the silent props for other DJI UAVs.  
At ground level they seem to be about 5db quieter.  
The big difference is the sound pitch.  It is lower because in hover the rpm is lower.

My Mavic Air, hovering with DJI props has an rpm of 11280.
With the Master Airscrew props the hover rpm is 9180.  

Air density will affect hover rpm. My testing was done at 2000ft ASL.

Conclusion, so far I like them.  Have to wait for the snow to melt to do field testing.

New Props

New Props
Here is a short video showing in noise reduction you can expect.

2019-3-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi and good day Hummingbird.UAV, thanks for sharing your experienced with these propellers. Just a friendly reminder, we don't recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories because we are unable to ensure the performance and compatibility. Appreciate your understading and support.
2019-3-20
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Happy with my Master Airscrew props that I received this past weekend.  If only DJI would come up with a silent props for the Mavic Air maybe we would not be using a reputable third party props.
2019-3-20
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hey, thanks for your review. Mine are on order, and I'm looking forward to confirm how much quieter they are.
2019-3-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can you really tell the difference in the sound?
2019-3-20
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

Woe Posted at 3-20 17:46

Its still louder than my Mavic Pro with the DJI silent props.  However the frequency of the angry bee sound has shifted down making less annoying.I also tested with a sound level meter and it was ~5db quieter.
2019-3-20
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 3-20 17:46

My answer to this one is a big YES.
2019-3-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 3-20 17:57
Its still louder than my Mavic Pro with the DJI silent props.  However the frequency of the angry bee sound has shifted down making less annoying.I also tested with a sound level meter and it was ~5db quieter.

That's big improvement.
2019-3-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 3-20 18:35
My answer to this one is a big YES.

That's awesome. I know the MA is loud as heck
2019-3-20
Use props
Iron Drone
lvl.1
United States

I flew mine with the MA props last weekend and I am pleased. I've been waiting for a quiet option and this is a step in the right direction. I would def pick up a DJI option if they ever came out with one.
2019-3-20
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Thanks for sharing
2019-3-21
Use props
Spaceman_66
First Officer
Flight distance : 82323 ft
United States

I presently have 2 sets in hand (due to an odd shipping kerfluffel) and am seriously looking forward to doing comprehensive flight testing with a properly calibrated sound meter for quantitative apples-to-apples comparisons between the DJI OEM and the MA aftermarket props. My local take-off ground level is around 1980’ ASL. I’ll re-post once I have hard measurements, but everything I’ve seen posted so far suggests these MA / stealth MA props are totally the shizzle. If the testing bears it out (still TBD), then I can only say get on board or get left behind, DJI!
2019-3-25
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

Spaceman_66 Posted at 3-25 22:14
I presently have 2 sets in hand (due to an odd shipping kerfluffel) and am seriously looking forward to doing comprehensive flight testing with a properly calibrated sound meter for quantitative apples-to-apples comparisons between the DJI OEM and the MA aftermarket props. My local take-off ground level is around 1980’ ASL. I’ll re-post once I have hard measurements, but everything I’ve seen posted so far suggests these MA / stealth MA props are totally the shizzle. If the testing bears it out (still TBD), then I can only say get on board or get left behind, DJI!

I have a couple of sets of the Master Airscrew Props (MAPs) as well.  I have managed to get in a little bit of testing but its still cold at 2°C and snow is forecast.  From the flights I've made the MAPs are about 3dB quieter and the hover rpm is less reducing the "Bee" sound.  My six bladed props are about 5dB quieter and the rpm is less than the MAPs however because of the six blades they still have the "Bee" sound but it is so much quieter that it is not annoying.  I've found it really hard to take accurate sound level readings as even the slightest breeze boosts the value.  Might have to test indoors.  Click the link to go to my six blade thread.https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=184566
2019-3-25
Use props
evanwish
lvl.1

United States

Do you guys have any videos of the sound difference or is 5db too hard to catch on video?
2019-3-26
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

evanwish Posted at 3-26 17:19
Do you guys have any videos of the sound difference or is 5db too hard to catch on video?

It is hard to capture on video as most cameras have automatic level control on the mic input.  This means if the sound is loud the camera cuts back on the audio level, if it is quiet it boosts the audio level.  Makes it hard to compare.  I'm looking for a fixed level recording device which should give a proper comparison.  Stay tuned.
2019-3-26
Use props
evanwish
lvl.1

United States

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 3-26 17:50
It is hard to capture on video as most cameras have automatic level control on the mic input.  This means if the sound is loud the camera cuts back on the audio level, if it is quiet it boosts the audio level.  Makes it hard to compare.  I'm looking for a fixed level recording device which should give a proper comparison.  Stay tuned.

Right, that makes sense. Tuned in!
2019-3-27
Use props
Maxi3D
Captain
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

But the MA's ESCs and motors are not calibrated for the Master propellers. Some people are getting motor error message on their Go App 4. I wonder with the higher pitch of the props will caused the motor to work harder and put more wear on it.  
2019-3-27
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

Maxi3D Posted at 3-27 09:44
But the MA's ESCs and motors are not calibrated for the Master propellers. Some people are getting motor error message on their Go App 4. I wonder with the higher pitch of the props will caused the motor to work harder and put more wear on it.

Doesn't look to me that the MA props have higher pitch.  They are wider thus generate more lift at the same rpm.  But in hover the lift must be equal so the MA props turn slower to match the lift required.
As for the motor error messages plenty of people get them with DJI props, myself included.  Usually happens in a high speed descent with fast forward flight.
2019-3-27
Use props
Schmooit
Captain
Flight distance : 1336581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HI Guys if anyone in the UK is interested in some of these I bought some from the US and thought I'd get a few extras in case anyone was interested (i never really need spare props never crashed anything (well maybe a little cheapy Syma!)

If anyone is interested in a pack PM me before I put them on Fleabay, I have 4 packs left if anyone, they come in a little sunglasses pouch with some stickers and a card box. The fit is perfect and they dont look too different from the standard (except these are glossy finish).

These are aftermarket so use with caution and bear in mind any warranty issue these might cause! (still this wouldnt be an issue if DJI commissioned them!)

I'm not a business just thought id get few extra if anyone in the UK was interested as they are not on Amazon or Ebay yet!
2019-3-28
Use props
Brightlights2001
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1001 ft
United Kingdom

I’ve just recently received my MA props in the UK & had a short test flight yesterday & I am very impressed that the “Angry Bee” appears to have been tamed, I can’t comment on exactly how much quieter they are but the tone/pitch difference is very noticeable & unless DJI bring out a similar product I will not be switching back to stock props.
2019-3-28
Use props
cis4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 152185 ft
Belgium

Hi,

I made a very short test with those new props and it seems much better.
Any advice on adjusting gain settings as explained on master airscrew website?

https://www.masterairscrew.com/pages/mavic-air-gain-settings
2019-3-29
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

cis4 Posted at 3-29 23:58
Hi,

I made a very short test with those new props and it seems much better.

What Master Airscrew suggest is OK.  I've built many quads from scratch and would adjust the pitch roll and yaw settings to "tune" them.  Oscillation would require lowering of the gain values.
Personally I have had no problems using the Master Airscrew props.  This may be because of the altitude I live at, the air is less dense therefore I don't get the full effect of the props.
2019-3-30
Use props
gaardhund
lvl.3
Flight distance : 42231 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

I adjusted the gain setting according to Master Airscrews web site, and i still get the "motor current" warnings  (even when i fly in P mode).  
2019-3-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 3-27 12:21
Doesn't look to me that the MA props have higher pitch.  They are wider thus generate more lift at the same rpm.  But in hover the lift must be equal so the MA props turn slower to match the lift required.
As for the motor error messages plenty of people get them with DJI props, myself included.  Usually happens in a high speed descent with fast forward flight.

I think there is without any doubt much more movement in hover with master props, this is visually noticeable, I’m not sure if they  will effect footage when videoing , but you can notice IMU working overtime to maintain correct attitude, the change your props warning is there almost from take off and although we see this normally in very high speed (Sport) with normal props , with master props it is clearly telling that you have the wrong props on your craft, good or bad who knows.

Yes the bee whine is gone but I’m not sure noise is that much lower, you can still hear in the distance about the same or very little difference.

I had two people with me when testing, none of which fly drones and one of them thought master props were louder and other thought Mavic props were louder, but both thought there was very little difference.
For me the only difference is the bee whine sound, but with the extra movement from side to side in the craft I’m not sure if this is a trade off for changing props.

For me I see no real benefits with the master props, people will find them annoying and loud just as they would with Mavic props, I think the difference will only be noticed by the pilots, but so will the movement in the craft at hover.

Just my opinion .
2019-3-31
Use props
Davide Marinoni
New

Italy

here my video review of the low noise props: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsY-WyjzKqc
2019-4-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Davide Marinoni Posted at 4-1 04:23
here my video review of the low noise props: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsY-WyjzKqc

It’s a great video great review .
2019-4-1
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

Davide Marinoni Posted at 4-1 04:23

Your review is very thorough, would be nice if you could add English subtitles.
2019-4-1
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Just adding to other's experience with these props.

I've bought a couple of sets of these myself. I tested them with a decibel meter indoors (so no other ambient noise) and they were only 1-3 decibel lower than the standard props. The pitch is slightly lower, but not to the extent I've been hearing on other people's video. Perhaps it makes a difference outside at distance?
I also noted that many edges had slight serrations, which I attribute to the mould. The manufacturer could have tidied up those rough edges before shipping out IMHO, especially as they may impact (slight;y) on the aerodynamics of the prop.

Otherwise, I didn't note any change in flight characteristics on the indoors test, which is good. I'll have to wait for a longer flight to see if their claims of reduced battery usage is valid.
2019-4-1
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great to see these props coming through for the MA to get that noise level down.
2019-4-2
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

A J Posted at 4-2 00:40
Great to see these props coming through for the MA to get that noise level down.

Added a comparison video to the top of the tread today.
2019-4-2
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 4-2 14:01
Added a comparison video to the top of the tread today.

Noticeable difference in the pitch from the noise. I found that the noise on take off was quite similar between the MP and MPP but as the db was lower on the MPP the sound dissipated very quickly and I couldn't hear the MPP 50' from my position unlike the MP which I could hear hundreds of feet away. These type of props will be well received on the MA too I'm sure as the noise was one of the things I hated about what was generally a great drone to fly.
2019-4-2
Use props
OldFaflyers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26555 ft
Australia

I did a run time test video between the two props.
I hope you find it useful.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UMZeO_LYXM4
2019-4-3
Use props
cutis
Captain
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

all concerns are at close radius close altitude. once drone is afar, say fifty yards or so, concerns dissolved. so the particular frequencies of the propulsion acoustics over the design rpm range humanly irritate. the seagulls too disagree to that irritant, again at close interface, say, within 10-20 yards the gulls encircling drone. from a standpoint of "the point of diminishing returns", the risk of strain by greater pitch is not a prudent aftermarket tweak. this is because the designed criterion of thrust versus rpm and rpm versus torque can not be retrofitted except thru flight control firmware changes.
what should be measured is ampere flowing in operable rpm range for a motor. we do not even know the operable rpm range designers implemented. and normally the aftermarket upgrades usually are blessed off, no different than how Microsoft blesses aftermarket soft and hard for windows installation.
2019-4-3
Use props
Edward Smith's Replacement
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837444 ft
United States

gaardhund Posted at 3-30 08:00
I adjusted the gain setting according to Master Airscrews web site, and i still get the "motor current" warnings  (even when i fly in P mode).

These Motor Current warnings can't be good. For me I would rather put up with the db's then harm the MA.
2019-4-6
Use props
HendrikJB
Captain
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

DJI Paladin Posted at 3-20 16:03
Hi and good day Hummingbird.UAV, thanks for sharing your experienced with these propellers. Just a friendly reminder, we don't recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories because we are unable to ensure the performance and compatibility. Appreciate your understading and support.

We understand your statement.
What we don`t understand is why DJI then does not do something about it such as providing more silent props. Many, maybe most, pilots have been asking for quieter props for the Mavic Air for more than a year!!.
2019-4-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

HendrikJB Posted at 4-6 11:02
We understand your statement.
What we don`t understand is why DJI then does not do something about it such as providing more silent props. Many, maybe most, pilots have been asking for quieter props for the Mavic Air for more than a year!!.

HI HendrikJB, , we do appreciate your feedback with us. Rest assured that this will be heard on our designated team and put this to our team's bucket list. We do apologize for the inconvenience that it caused and we appreciate your understanding. Thank you.
2019-4-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Edward Smith's Replacement Posted at 4-6 07:35
These Motor Current warnings can't be good. For me I would rather put up with the db's then harm the MA.

I fully agree, the simple fact you are getting that warning is a problem with balance of props and when hovering this is noticeable and both props are loud just one is slightly louder than the other and the only people who will notice are the users .
2019-4-7
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 4-7 11:55
I fully agree, the simple fact you are getting that warning is a problem with balance of props and when hovering this is noticeable and both props are loud just one is slightly louder than the other and the only people who will notice are the users .

This warning appears with the stock props as well. Especially on the latest firmware...
2019-4-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Oracle Miata Posted at 4-7 12:18
This warning appears with the stock props as well. Especially on the latest firmware...

I realise that and back I .400 I received these warnings often, it was fixed with .500 for me and since I haven’t got warning, but my problem with these props was simply once you pushed forward I was immediately getting warning, I also noticed in hover IMU had to work much harder to maintain a good attitude.

While I’m pretty certain nothing serious will happen to you craft flying with these, and yes pitch sound is better and more pleasing to your own ears, I just don’t see or hear enough in the trade off to use these props .

2019-4-7
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 4-7 12:32
I realise that and back I .400 I received these warnings often, it was fixed with .500 for me and since I haven’t got warning, but my problem with these props was simply once you pushed forward I was immediately getting warning, I also noticed in hover IMU had to work much harder to maintain a good attitude.

While I’m pretty certain nothing serious will happen to you craft flying with these, and yes pitch sound is better and more pleasing to your own ears, I just don’t see or hear enough in the trade off to use these props .
Did you change the gain to 60 as per they’re website?  It really improved flyablity for me... much more natural and all but eliminates the warning... as per the pitch or noise; I find the Air to be much quieter at 50 to 100 feet or so now.
2019-4-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules