Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Sudden Yaw
2077 17 2019-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rymair
lvl.3
Flight distance : 789252 ft
Australia

Sometimes after a manual start and launch, the Air suddenly yaws rapidly about 90° to the left or right.  This can occur during a vertical climb from launch also.   No issues at all after that.
2019-3-21
Use props
Trailkill
First Officer
Flight distance : 317031 ft
  • >>>
United States

You might want to post this in the Mavic Air thread. This is for the Mavic 2 Zoom.
2019-3-21
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry to know about this situation. I would recommend re-linking the RC and aircraft then re-calibrate the IMU as well as the compass to see if there will be changes. Kindly check if the aircraft and RC are up to date when in terms of firmware update. Kindly ensure that the GPS is strong enough when flying your drones to avoid the incident. Please keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for continued support.
2019-3-21
Use props
Bluehook
First Officer
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

My MA does that often but not 90 degrees.  Exactly as your describe but mine only yaws about 10 degrees and usually to the right.  Everything else about the drone is perfectly normal.  

I have no idea what causes this?

2019-3-24
Use props
QuadFunAus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 38835 ft
Australia

Trailkill Posted at 3-21 03:12
You might want to post this in the Mavic Air thread. This is for the Mavic 2 Zoom.

You must be confused as this IS the MA thread
2019-3-24
Use props
Floyd-Mavic2
United Kingdom

My mavic air does the same , did we find a solution
2019-3-24
Use props
StevenQX
Second Officer
Flight distance : 287474 ft
Italy

Happen the same also with my mavic air...I think it could be caused by magnetic interferences but i don't know honestly. Hope DJI will address this.
2019-3-25
Use props
Spaceman_66
First Officer
Flight distance : 82323 ft
United States

I also somewhat often (but not always) experience this for no obvious reason. Nothing as dramatic as a 90 deg turn, but still a definite uncommanded yaw often experienced shortly after takeoff / initial ascent; usually it’s to the left (CCW). FWIW, I also sometimes experience an uncommanded yaw (usually to the right, CW) when landing, just in in the final second or so.
2019-3-25
Use props
StevenQX
Second Officer
Flight distance : 287474 ft
Italy

Spaceman_66 Posted at 3-25 21:35
I also somewhat often (but not always) experience this for no obvious reason. Nothing as dramatic as a 90 deg turn, but still a definite uncommanded yaw often experienced shortly after takeoff / initial ascent; usually it’s to the left (CCW). FWIW, I also sometimes experience an uncommanded yaw (usually to the right, CW) when landing, just in in the final second or so.

Mine too, not a 90 degrees turn but a small turn to the left (30°~)side while ascending after take off. Not every time.
2019-3-25
Use props
Rymair
lvl.3
Flight distance : 789252 ft
Australia

QuadFunAus Posted at 3-24 14:27
You must be confused as this IS the MA thread
An IMU calibration seems to have fixed it for now.  However I’m not sure the fix is permanent.  Will keep you posted.
2019-3-26
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Rymair Posted at 3-26 04:02
An IMU calibration seems to have fixed it for now.  However I’m not sure the fix is permanent.  Will keep you posted.

I had the same on my MA, sometimes after takeoff a sudden yaw movement. It looks worse on screen as the gimbal move the other way.
Haven`t seen it since the last FW update.

cheers
JJB
2019-3-26
Use props
Skypuppy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 132356 ft
United States

I have a slightly different issue. My Air began to swivel to the right on it's on accord. The weather here has been too lousy to fly until yesterday. So, with the release of of the new firmware I had hopes that that whatever was causing the issue would be cleared up with the latest firmware. It actually seems worse but oddly is not constant. At one point yesterday it circled 360degree without touching the sticks. It's not violent but if you want to shoot a still you have to fight the rotation. Perhaps more importantly, flying straight forward or backward doesn't always mean straight. You have to watch your line and be prepared to counter. It also means you can't assume RTH will do what it should. In short, it's more work than it should be.  I did an IMU recalibration last year and everything performed as expected until this problem came up many weeks later. Compass recalibration has accomplished nothing to rectify. I am running the latest DJI GO, latest firmware, latest iOS. I am almost wondering now if getting a new phone is part of the problem. I haven't heard this anywhere but it seems like (I can't be certain of this) that this behavior began when I got the iPhone XS. Trust me- I know how stupid that sounds but everything else is the same gear. Ideas?
2019-3-31
Use props
djiuser_hltPuxbmdasm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10802589 ft
Bulgaria

Skypuppy Posted at 2019-3-31 15:40
I have a slightly different issue. My Air began to swivel to the right on it's on accord. The weather here has been too lousy to fly until yesterday. So, with the release of of the new firmware I had hopes that that whatever was causing the issue would be cleared up with the latest firmware. It actually seems worse but oddly is not constant. At one point yesterday it circled 360degree without touching the sticks. It's not violent but if you want to shoot a still you have to fight the rotation. Perhaps more importantly, flying straight forward or backward doesn't always mean straight. You have to watch your line and be prepared to counter. It also means you can't assume RTH will do what it should. In short, it's more work than it should be.  I did an IMU recalibration last year and everything performed as expected until this problem came up many weeks later. Compass recalibration has accomplished nothing to rectify. I am running the latest DJI GO, latest firmware, latest iOS. I am almost wondering now if getting a new phone is part of the problem. I haven't heard this anywhere but it seems like (I can't be certain of this) that this behavior began when I got the iPhone XS. Trust me- I know how stupid that sounds but everything else is the same gear. Ideas?

I have exactly the same problem with my Mavic Mini! It flies all normal and then all of the sudden it yaws/turns left or right depending on what the gimbal wheel's last command was!

It took time to figure out but I realized that when whatever happens to it happens then I can use the gimbal wheel to simultaneously pan the camera up or down and yaw/turn the drone right or left respectively!

I tried changing altitude and it does it no problem! So ebetis as normal, I try to pan the camera down and the drone turns/yaws left! The camera can go all the way down to 90 degrees and the drone can still continue turning via the gimbal wheel, same for turning right it will keep turning/yawing if you push the gimbal wheel to the right and the camera will just pan up to its maximum while the wheel can still be used to turn the drone, 360, 720s are possible. Lol

So my fix for my Mavic Mini was to Refresh the Firmware of the Mini and then calibration of everything, IMU and compass.

Now it's OK!!!
2020-10-13
Use props
Drone Exploration
Second Officer
Flight distance : 912185 ft
Canada

Bluehook Posted at 2019-3-24 09:55
My MA does that often but not 90 degrees.  Exactly as your describe but mine only yaws about 10 degrees and usually to the right.  Everything else about the drone is perfectly normal.  

I have no idea what causes this?

I know that this is an older comment,  but I have been having the same problem. For a while, it was doing this every flight, but it seemed if i did a compass calibration with no metal or electronics within 15 ft, it fixed the issue. Now the issue has started happening again and i can't get it to stop. Any ideas?
2020-11-11
Use props
Bluehook
First Officer
United States

Drone Exploration Posted at 2020-11-11 18:06
I know that this is an older comment,  but I have been having the same problem. For a while, it was doing this every flight, but it seemed if i did a compass calibration with no metal or electronics within 15 ft, it fixed the issue. Now the issue has started happening again and i can't get it to stop. Any ideas?

Sorry for the late reply, but no, I have not found a solution.  Albeit, my yaw issue is very minor and happens within a few second of take-off, when I'm still doing "pre-flight" checks.

I realize that that's no excuse and  I should find a fix but I haven't yet.  Have you found any resolution(s) in the meantime?

Thanks.
2021-1-9
Use props
Drone Exploration
Second Officer
Flight distance : 912185 ft
Canada

Bluehook Posted at 1-9 07:41
Sorry for the late reply, but no, I have not found a solution.  Albeit, my yaw issue is very minor and happens within a few second of take-off, when I'm still doing "pre-flight" checks.

I realize that that's no excuse and  I should find a fix but I haven't yet.  Have you found any resolution(s) in the meantime?

Its strange, my mavic air has stopped doing it, although sometimes it will stop doing it for a while, the start again. Not sure why
2021-5-10
Use props
sbarton
lvl.4
Flight distance : 877110 ft
United States

I have the same issue.
2021-5-12
Use props
Bluehook
First Officer
United States

Drone Exploration Posted at 5-10 20:26
Its strange, my mavic air has stopped doing it, although sometimes it will stop doing it for a while, the start again. Not sure why

Same here.  I haven't seen it happen in quite a while.

2021-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules