Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI acknowledges Goggles RE design flaw
32511 448 2019-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UNsyncED
First Officer
Flight distance : 1083392 ft
Australia

*** Update on DJI's denial of the Goggles RE issue ***

I have received my Goggles RE back from DJI, after they sent them from the Australian Repair Center to China for further testing.  They have advised me that no repairs were necessary and that the goggles functioned as expected.

As evidence of the goggles functioning DJI sent me photographs showing an image from the RC and the Goggles at each kilometre mark, up to 7 km.  The title of the photographs were "2.4g_without antenna".  It seems that DJI neither tested the Goggles in DUAL Mode nor HD. I had requested a video, as it would easily show if the M2 and Goggles were causing each other to freeze/crash, but DJI was only willing to send me photographs.

My complaint has always been that the Goggles RE and M2 DO NOT WORK as described/advertised during the product launch.

“Mavic 2 gives you the highest quality live view of any DJI drone, to do it we’ve created a brand new transmission system called Ocusync 2.0. It switches automatically between 2.4 and 5.8 gigahertz frequencies to give you better interference resistance. ... The LiveView image displays at full 1080p resolution at distances up to 5 miles versus 1.25 miles with Mavic Pro."

The launch presentation clearly states that the Mavic 2 and Goggles RE need to be in DUAL Mode with the devices' LiveView modes set to HD (1080p) to have the highest quality image for the furthest distance.

When the devices are set to DUAL Mode and HD, the transmission between each of the devices cause a loss of image/transmission, typically at short distances from the launch site.

I have advised DJI that I will re-test the Goggles, on their assurances that they are functional.  If I find that the Goggles are still not functioning as described, I will return my entire system (M2P and Goggles RE) to DJI for testing.  If they are unable to prove to me that the system is functioning as advertised, I will then proceed with legal action for a breach of Australian Consumer Law.

2019-5-30
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17439970 ft
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 5-30 04:27
*** Update on DJI's denial of the Goggles RE issue ***

I have received my Goggles RE back from DJI, after they sent them from the Australian Repair Center to China for further testing.  They have advised me that no repairs were necessary and that the goggles functioned as expected.

It will be interesting to see how they perform it's been blowing a gale hear.
2019-5-30
Use props
Airheadbit
lvl.4
United States

*** Update on DJI's denial of the Goggles RE issue ***

@UNsyncED I think that when using DJI products one has to "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life". That their documentation generates more questions then answers and getting them to reply to questions with something coherent seems to be an impossibility and an exercise in restraint. Yesterday I was driving out of a canyon when I saw graders coming up the road (the roads are dirt and after two weeks of rain are 8mph holes), I pulled over and broke out the Mavic 2. I keep getting warnings about loss of signal yet the M2 was with in line of site, 2000 feet (609m) max distance. I had pulled off the road at an intersection of power lines that carry three phase 14KV, 35 feet above the ground. They ran along side the road in the easement but stopped at the entry to the canyon.  I left the M2 tracking the lead grader and moved away from the power lines, the warning stopped, the video got smooth, the RC started to respond properly. I have flown while around those power lines before without this issue but at that location something was different, I do know that the power company has been replacing aging line splices as they fail, something about corrosion and arcing.

I have found that NONE of the DJI dealers on Amazon will respond to a request for the 'Date of Manufacture' of their DJI Goggle RE listings.      
Yet another question waiting for an answer....  
2019-5-30
Use props
Gene2
lvl.4
United States

Hmmm...

I think I will commit to waiting for the next version of goggles, buy them from a dealer that allows returns for a reasonable period and then return them immediately if they do not work as advertised.

I don't think DJI  can to do anything about this problem with the current system because with all this visibility it would be to their advantage to show show reasonable operation on an optimum test site for all advertised modes if possible.  I  believe they are just going to delay and go around in circles at low altitude until the next system becomes available.

Gene
2019-5-30
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

Airheadbit Posted at 5-30 05:24
@UNsyncED I think that when using DJI products one has to "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life". That their documentation generates more questions then answers and getting them to reply to questions with something coherent seems to be an impossibility and an exercise in restraint. Yesterday I was driving out of a canyon when I saw graders coming up the road (the roads are dirt and after two weeks of rain are 8mph holes), I pulled over and broke out the Mavic 2. I keep getting warnings about loss of signal yet the M2 was with in line of site, 2000 feet (609m) max distance. I had pulled off the road at an intersection of power lines that carry three phase 14KV, 35 feet above the ground. They ran along side the road in the easement but stopped at the entry to the canyon.  I left the M2 tracking the lead grader and moved away from the power lines, the warning stopped, the video got smooth, the RC started to respond properly. I have flown while around those power lines before without this issue but at that location something was different, I do know that the power company has been replacing aging line splices as they fail, something about corrosion and arcing.

I have found that NONE of the DJI dealers on Amazon will respond to a request for the 'Date of Manufacture' of their DJI Goggle RE listings.      

A high percentage of the more  recent build dates of the Regular/Standard Mavic 2 Controller are the main cause of the range issue when using the RE Goggles. Proof me wrong!

And anybody with a brain knows DJI should also be asking for the controller and drone to be sent in for a true test.... Not just the RE Goggles themselves! this is a Fact as I do computer repair for a living and know the proper procedure to troubleshoot.
2019-5-30
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

*** Update on DJI's denial of the Goggles RE issue ***

I'm not entirely sure how the Goggles RE works but if you still need to use a device like an iPad/iPhone/Android to use the systems I think you need to use a different device.  Perhaps the device can't take all the information and it crashes the Goggles.
2019-5-31
Use props
Gene2
lvl.4
United States

bobsma Posted at 5-30 23:16
A high percentage of the more  recent build dates of the Regular/Standard Mavic 2 Controller are the main cause of the range issue when using the RE Goggles. Proof me wrong!

And anybody with a brain knows DJI should also be asking for the controller and drone to be sent in for a true test.... Not just the RE Goggles themselves! this is a Fact as I do computer repair for a living and know the proper procedure to troubleshoot.

Exactly  why I used the term "system".

If they did not show the test included the more desirable system modes then I have to assume the results would not be good for DJI.

Gene
2019-5-31
Use props
Macabre
lvl.2
Flight distance : 390220 ft
Sweden

Are you the guy who suggested me on mavicpilots forum to buy Smart Controller to get my RE edition goggles work? LOL.
2019-5-31
Use props
Airheadbit
lvl.4
United States

I finally recieved a responce from an Amazon Seller:

A fellow customer answered your question,
"What is the date of manufacture (dom) on your dji goggle re? why won't you respond to my messages about the dom?"
Handyman answered:
"Maybe because I have no clue. I don't have that crap anymore. I returned that junk."

@bobma The proper procedures to trouble shoot complex electronic devices involves eliminating subsystems and isolating hardware from software. In DJI Goggle case there are four major software components: DJI GO 4, Google RE firmware, Remote Controller firmware and the Airplane/Drone/Camera or Mavic 2 (what ever they call it) firmware. The Goggle RE and the Mavic 2 have local storage, DJI GO 4 can use the device it runs on storage for it and debug information from the RC.

Yet rather then enable or send diagnostic firmware to users with issues DJI has face planted leaving the users without answers.

I have found external issues that have caused interference and there is no simple means to pin point the cause, I found HackRF One just released software that allows the use of a HackRF One device as a  Sweep Spectrum Analyzer. Using that device and disabling all WiFi transmissions from computers and phone devices should be the first step of many, there are some EMF apps I'm trying also. I'll know more when I figure out how to purchase a Goggle RE but I won't be purchasing from vendors that refuse to provide DOM and that includes DJI.            
2019-5-31
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

Airheadbit Posted at 5-31 05:36
I finally recieved a responce from an Amazon Seller:

A fellow customer answered your question,

great work you are doing. thank you. i can't wait to try my Goggles. I will within a week or so.
2019-5-31
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

Macabre Posted at 5-31 01:36
Are you the guy who suggested me on mavicpilots forum to buy Smart Controller to get my RE edition goggles work? LOL.

maybe! i think so if I had to guess...
2019-5-31
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

*** A refined description of the Goggle RE design flaw ***

*** When the Goggles RE lose reception, it causes the RC video feed to freeze ***

After further testing today I discovered that the issue was not distance related, but is based upon the Goggles losing reception.  I went to a cliff overlooking the beach and sent the M2 out to sea with the Goggles RE connected to the drone. I managed to fly until the Return to Home message appeared on the RC, without any loss of reception nor freezing of the Goggles and M2.

I then proceeded to follow the beach, along the cliffs, and when the Goggles RE lost reception the RC's image froze, even though the RC and Video feed reception was at least 50% full.

I had the RC and Goggles RE set to 1080p and Dual frequencies. Whether the antenna is connected or not, does not stop the freezing from occuring.  Having the antenna attached only extends the range before the Goggles RE loses connection, causing the system to freeze.

If others would like to test my theory, and report back, it would be appreciated.

2019-6-1
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 6-1 01:10
*** When the Goggles RE lose reception, it causes the RC video feed to freeze ***
After further testing today I discovered that the issue was not distance related, but is based upon the Goggles losing reception.  I went to a cliff overlooking the beach and sent the M2 out to sea with the Goggles RE connected to the drone. I managed to fly 3+ km, until the Return to Home message appeared on the RC, without any loss of reception nor freezing of the Goggles and M2.
When you say freezes is that just the image, DJIgo4 the RC or everything meaning RTH kicks in. I will probably be in the air tomorrow .
Did you try without the goggles as well
2019-6-1
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa Posted at 6-1 03:03
When you say freezes is that just the image, DJIgo4 the RC or everything meaning RTH kicks in. I will probably be in the air tomorrow .
Did you try without the goggles as well

Just the image freezes. No, RTH does not kick in.  Without the goggles, there is no issue.  When flying, and the images freeze, if you turn off the goggles the RC image comes good.  If you keep using the RC Sticks while the image is frozen, the drone keeps flying as commanded.

You haven't being having issues, as you dont have any RF issue (nor did I when flying over the water).  If you fly through an RF noisy environment or behind an obstacle you'll experience the same issue.

2019-6-1
Use props
Airheadbit
lvl.4
United States

After further testing today I discovered that the issue was not distance related, but is based upon the Goggles losing reception.  I went to a cliff overlooking the beach and sent the M2 out to sea with the Goggles RE connected to the drone. I managed to fly 3+ km, until the Return to Home message appeared on the RC, without any loss of reception nor freezing of the Goggles and M2.

Next time you are testing try:
When the goggles loss of video signal happens, rotate your body (goggles) 360° , we know that there is two antenna on the front corners of the goggles but how do they interact with the other two antenna in the headband?
Next would be to use a standard dipole WiFi external antenna, you would need to find one that has a RP-SMA FEMALE connector, again, we don't know if that external RP-SMA MALE socket built into the Goggle RE is active all the time or only when dual or 5.8Ghz is selected, I "assume" all the time since it would cost money to add a RF switch.

2019-6-1
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Airheadbit Posted at 6-1 05:36
Next time you are testing try:
When the goggles loss of video signal happens, rotate your body (goggles) 360° , we know that there is two antenna on the front corners of the goggles but how do they interact with the other two antenna in the headband?
Next would be to use a standard dipole WiFi external antenna, you would need to find one that has a RP-SMA FEMALE connector, again, we don't know if that external RP-SMA MALE socket built into the Goggle RE is active all the time or only when dual or 5.8Ghz is selected, I "assume" all the time since it would cost money to add a RF switch.

I will do.
2019-6-1
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Maybe it has something to do w/ the Satellites the drone is connected to.  Something going on that is beyond what has been developed.  Having everything shut down and the drone just hovering until the goggles are shut off is something military-grade.  Maybe the system is so good that military weapon satellites cause the systems to freeze on purpose with some kind of downlink hack command from global satellites when you go far enough.  Just a theory.  Denial-of-use or something.  Some people don't live in areas where that area coverage exist so they are ok but idk.  Someone said with his Smart Controller he can fly 3 miles out w/o issues but with the standard controllers he has to set 2.4GHz to fly further but then he has the freezing problems too.
2019-6-2
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 6-2 20:35
Maybe it has something to do w/ the Satellites the drone is connected to.  Something going on that is beyond what has been developed.  Having everything shut down and the drone just hovering until the goggles are shut off is something military-grade.  Maybe the system is so good that military weapon satellites cause the systems to freeze on purpose with some kind of downlink hack command from global satellites when you go far enough.  Just a theory.  Denial-of-use or something.  Some people don't live in areas where that area coverage exist so they are ok but idk.  Someone said with his Smart Controller he can fly 3 miles out w/o issues but with the standard controllers he has to set 2.4GHz to fly further but then he has the freezing problems too.

I too have heard that it military action.  Once you lose line of sight, the military take control of the drone, so they can use it for their own purposes.  There was one occasion where a drone feel out of the sky with a pizza attached to it.  They knew that it was military action, because the drone (and pizza) were found a short distance from a military base.  
2019-6-2
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

UNsyncED Posted at 6-2 21:30
I too have heard that it military action.  Once you lose line of sight, the military take control of the drone, so they can use it for their own purposes.  There was one occasion where a drone feel out of the sky with a pizza attached to it.  They knew that it was military action, because the drone (and pizza) were found a short distance from a military base.

yeah perhaps
2019-6-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

After further testing today I discovered that the issue was not distance related, but is based upon the Goggles losing reception.  I went to a cliff overlooking the beach and sent the M2 out to sea with the Goggles RE connected to the drone. I managed to fly 3+ km, until the Return to Home message appeared on the RC, without any loss of reception nor freezing of the Goggles and M2.

Hi UNsyncED, glad to know the range issue has been optimized. What you mentioned above is normal, when the signal of the RC or the Goggles is affected, the image transmission of another device will freeze, it is not a design flaw.
Therefore, please make sure the RC and Goggles are in the same interference-free and open environment without any obstacles.
2019-6-3
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-3 19:52
Hi UNsyncED, glad to know the range issue has been optimized. What you mentioned above is normal, when the signal of the RC or the Goggles is affected, the image transmission of another device will freeze, it is not a design flaw.
Therefore, please make sure the RC and Goggles are in the same interference-free and open environment without any obstacles.

Hi Mindy,  That seems to be a very unique feature!!!

I would like to correct one thing that you've said above, "... when the signal of the RC OR the Goggles is affected, the image transmission of another (sic) device will freeze ..." This is not true.  If the Goggles have reception, but the RC does not, the goggle's HUD say, "Remote Controller Signal Lost", with no lose of image.  It is only when the Goggles lose reception, that both the Goggles and RC image freezes.
2019-6-4
Use props
Gene2
lvl.4
United States

UNsyncED Posted at 6-4 00:25
Hi Mindy,  That seems to be a very unique feature!!!

I would like to correct one thing that you've said above, "... when the signal of the RC OR the Goggles is affected, the image transmission of another (sic) device will freeze ..." This is not true.  If the Goggles have reception, but the RC does not, the goggle's HUD say, "Remote Controller Signal Lost", with no lose of image.  It is only when the Goggles lose reception, that both the Goggles and RC image freezes.

When something didn't work as planned we were always tempted to call it a feature and of course, said feature, was normal behavior.  

Gene
2019-6-5
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

UNsyncED judging by the participation in your thread now it seems as if you have helped a lot of people sort out their problems and hope it was like wise for you .
Good luck and safe flying.
2019-6-7
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

So it's normal for the Mavic 2 to have this design limitation when it's been reported the original Mavic doesn't have this design limitation? If what I say is true... then it's obviously a design flaw.

The RE Goggles work great with the Mavic 1 but not so great with the Mavic 2.
2019-6-7
Use props
Airheadbit
lvl.4
United States

Airheadbit Posted at 5-30 05:24
@UNsyncED I think that when using DJI products one has to "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life". That their documentation generates more questions then answers and getting them to reply to questions with something coherent seems to be an impossibility and an exercise in restraint. Yesterday I was driving out of a canyon when I saw graders coming up the road (the roads are dirt and after two weeks of rain are 8mph holes), I pulled over and broke out the Mavic 2. I keep getting warnings about loss of signal yet the M2 was with in line of site, 2000 feet (609m) max distance. I had pulled off the road at an intersection of power lines that carry three phase 14KV, 35 feet above the ground. They ran along side the road in the easement but stopped at the entry to the canyon.  I left the M2 tracking the lead grader and moved away from the power lines, the warning stopped, the video got smooth, the RC started to respond properly. I have flown while around those power lines before without this issue but at that location something was different, I do know that the power company has been replacing aging line splices as they fail, something about corrosion and arcing.

I have found that NONE of the DJI dealers on Amazon will respond to a request for the 'Date of Manufacture' of their DJI Goggle RE listings.      

The "Yet another question waiting for an answer....  " never got answered. I even called B&H but got nowhere. Some of the 'Dealers" on Amazon left invalid email contacts and others had useless phone numbers that tell you to email, net result, no Date of Manufacture. Ebay, don't get me started.

Today I found that DJI has a 18% discount on the Goggle RE, I purchased: Order Number: 0018713990875
Mindy I hope they are the latest build/DOM what ever that may be.
2019-6-7
Use props
Macabre
lvl.2
Flight distance : 390220 ft
Sweden

Please stop giving us useless inaccurate information and help bring this problem to a permanent solution that doesn't hurt your trusting customers.

I'm so freaking tired of DJI not acknowledging this problem and people telling me to do more testing than rocket scientists do on brand new rockets.
I never had these issues on my old Mavic Pro Platinum and white Goggles.

This is getting ridiculous.
2019-6-7
Use props
Gene2
lvl.4
United States

Macabre Posted at 6-7 15:14
Please stop giving us useless inaccurate information and help bring this problem to a permanent solution that doesn't hurt your trusting customers.

I'm so freaking tired of DJI not acknowledging this problem and people telling me to do more testing than rocket scientists do on brand new rockets.

Being  correct, nice, or communicating frustration will, most probably, only get you an empty apology.
Your dealing with an different top down corporate culture and stradgey where transparency and accountability to the customer is a new or foreign concept.  We need viable competition in the drone market.

When you've had enough of this merry-go-round return the system and/or wait for the next release and return it immediately if it doesn't work as advertised.

Gene
2019-6-10
Use props
Glen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 572454 ft
United Kingdom

roamer105 Posted at 3-24 15:25
I am sorry but I don’t buy that response. After using the RE goggles with the smart controller and my M2P all problems are gone and the goggles work just fine. Yet using these goggles with the original controller is a disaster. So, since they work fine with the smart controller logic dictates that the problem must lie with the original controller.

I second that, I got 2.5km two days ago. Again paired with Smart controller, but with the standard controller 5/700m max.
2019-6-10
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Glen Posted at 6-10 14:29
I second that, I got 2.5km two days ago. Again paired with Smart controller, but with the standard controller 5/700m max.

I'm sorry to hear that things still aren't working for you.  I'm in the same boat. Fortunately Australian Consumer Law protects me from DJI's behaviour.  I've commenced legal action against DJI.  This will be an open and shut case.  I'll keep the community up to date on the progress.
2019-6-10
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

UNsyncED Posted at 6-10 18:04
I'm sorry to hear that things still aren't working for you.  I'm in the same boat. Fortunately Australian Consumer Law protects me from DJI's behaviour.  I've commenced legal action against DJI.  This will be an open and shut case.  I'll keep the community up to date on the progress.

thank you for your hard work.  I had to spend the last few days repairing my car.  So my plan to test the RE Goggles with an older build date will be done before you know it.
2019-6-10
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

The only Solution now would be for DJI to send everybody that's having this range issue with the regular Mavic 2 controller is a free Smart Controller or a full refund.
2019-6-10
Use props
Airheadbit
lvl.4
United States

In a nutshell: I flew the Mavic 2 Zoom with the Goggles RE up a canyon 1.8 miles (2.89KM) then returned without an issue.

On 2019/06/10 I received an email from DJI enews announcing a Summer Sale with savings up to 18% from June 7th to June 16th, when I checked it out they were offering Goggle RE for 18% off or $100 less at $449. Having given up on getting ANYONE, DJI or DJI dealers to furnish the Date of Manufacture I ordered the Goggle RE at $449 with no tax and free shipping on a Friday evening, they arrived Wednesday morning.  
I setup a GoPro as recommended by DJI then unboxed; shipping container spotless, DJI black box tape perfect.
Date of Build (DOB) 2019-2 (Mindy, if you had anything to do with DOB, Thanks)
Assembled Goggle RE, plugged in Q3 charger, battery had 2 LED out of 4 or 50% charge, where the Micro USB plugs in there is an amber LED, it turns green when charged.
DJI: C Type Connectors from now on please.
I had spent early the morning recording working Center Water Pivots, spray patterns and coverage then looking for wet gopher holes alongside of an irrigation canal. No wind 44mph Sports mode! (I had never tried Sports mode before)
Note in support of DJI: I spent the last 39 years in computers from field service to Director of Information Services McGraw-Hill, Senior Technical Consultant for Intel, Master Oracle RDBS Programmer and  Systems Manager with Microprocess/Embedded design/PCB layout mixed in.  One would think that after a life time of computers one could follow directions… DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic is not the same as DJI Assistant 2, it will not show the Goggle RE, Ever. I opened the DJI Goggles RE User Manual then downloaded and installed DJI Assistant 2 alongside of DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic. The DJI Assistant 2 showed the ICON for the Goggles RE, the Goggles RE said they were Activating, 30 minutes later the same… I started poking things and discovered that I had to CLICK on the DJI Goggles RE ICON to make DJI Assistant 2 start. I have a Question, once DJI Assistant 2 finds the Goggles RE why doesn't it just activate it?
In the DJI Goggles RE Quick Start Guide  Page 9 Activation and Connection it says: If you do not have a MAVIC series aircraft… This is why I used DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic!
But all the DJI Goggles RE documentation is wrong, they mix the DJI OcuSync Air Unit into the Quick Start Guide and The User's Manual when they are two separate products!
After fighting the Linking process I learned the trick to make it work, another hour wasted.
As far as using DJI GO 4, nope, after countless hours getting a Mavic 2 Zoom setup and having to download DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic to get it to work I don't use DJI GO 4 to update.

With everything charged I went to an area without any interference, no power lines or computers/towers. Set the antenna to Dual without the external Pagoda Antenna following the Guide:
Page 7 DJI Goggles RE Quick Start Guide
Module Connections
Skip this section if you plan on using the goggles with a dedicated DJI drone.
I skipped "Install the Pagoda antenna"

I flew the Mavic 2 Zoom with the Goggles RE up a canyon 1.8 miles (2.89KM) then returned without an issue. My RC is the standard Remote Controller that came with my DJI Mavic 2 Zoom updated to the latest firmware along with the M2Z, I do not have access to the box to find DOM at this time. This flight was at sunset, the bugs had dinner during the flight.
As I learn more about setting up the using the Goggles RE I'll post, I'll glad I purchased the battery charger with two USB ports and three DJI battery ports, now I just need one with a two Q3 ports plus one USB port (Goggles + Tablet/Phone + RC) and three Mavic 2 batteries.
2019-6-13
Use props
Airheadbit
lvl.4
United States

Airheadbit Posted at 6-13 09:38
In a nutshell: I flew the Mavic 2 Zoom with the Goggles RE up a canyon 1.8 miles (2.89KM) then returned without an issue.

On 2019/06/10 I received an email from DJI enews announcing a Summer Sale with savings up to 18% from June 7th to June 16th, when I checked it out they were offering Goggle RE for 18% off or $100 less at $449. Having given up on getting ANYONE, DJI or DJI dealers to furnish the Date of Manufacture I ordered the Goggle RE at $449 with no tax and free shipping on a Friday evening, they arrived Wednesday morning.  

More testing, same area with no power lines of towers but this time when I passed 1.8 miles loss of signal with a return home. The Mavic 2 Zoom RC worked, I turned the Goggles RE off and took control. Later that afternoon I had a chance to install the LHCP Pagoda antenna but only got a mile away before warning about wind and a low battery notice which surprised me since it was charged last night and installed before the flight.
As it stands it appears that this new 2019-2 Goggles RE has the same issue as older DOM Goggles RE units and with the information in this thread it sounds like the MAVIC 2 RC is the issue since the Smart Controller appears to work with the MAVIC 2 and Goggles RE.
I'll second the motion that DJI provide MAVIC 2 users that have purchased Goggles RE a replacement DJI Smart Controller for the MAVIC 2 RC.
2019-6-14
Use props
Airheadbit
lvl.4
United States

bobsma Posted at 6-10 22:09
The only Solution now would be for DJI to send everybody that's having this range issue with the regular Mavic 2 controller is a free Smart Controller or a full refund.

See post #393
A refund does not work for me, as it stands I can work with what I have while building another drone to use the  DJI OcuSync Air System. DJI will have to fix the issue.  At 44.7Mph I should be able to fly 20.86 miles (33.57km) in 28 minutes (Sports mode) In P mode at 31Mph for 28 minutes it is 14.46 miles (23.2km)

Calculator: http://www.machinehead-software. ... ance_time_calc.html
2019-6-14
Use props
Airheadbit
lvl.4
United States

bobsma Posted at 6-10 22:09
The only Solution now would be for DJI to send everybody that's having this range issue with the regular Mavic 2 controller is a free Smart Controller or a full refund.

Perhaps DJI could see their way to offering 50% off a DJI SMART CONTROLLER to users that own a DJI MAVIC 2 and DJI Googles RE?
I flew the DJI Mavic 2 without DJI GO 4 (my tablet) just using the Mavic 2 RC and the Goggles RE, my spotter kept his eye on the drone, I gave him a dog treat after the flight. I do wish DJI would product documentation that matched what their product currently does, how hard is it for a billion dollar company to keep the Users Manual PDF up with the firmware? And every function that a DJI product can do should have explanations of the function with examples!
Please create a CLEAN Goggles RE manual without the Ocusync AIR System, for those that just purchase the Goggles RE for their MAVIC 2 it would be less confusing.
2019-6-16
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-24 19:12
Brian, our engineers are still working on locating the root reason, please send in if your Goggles RE has the same issue, once we get further information from our engineers, we will let you know.

Hi Mindy,

I tested the Goggles RE without the Antenna mounted with my Smartcontrollers.

The video failed to the Goggles consistent with all the failure reports, So has nothing to do with the actual controller standard or smartcontroller itself.

It is not a flaw with the goggle RE itself as the behaviour is the same for both my sets of Goggle RE.

I will try again this time with the antenna attached, and advise.

Cheers

2019-6-18
Use props
ygor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 719245 ft
Brazil

So @DJI Mindy, are we getting massive discounts on Smart Controllers in order to mitigate our current problems with the Goggles RE and standard Mavic 2 controllers???
2019-6-20
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Airheadbit Posted at 6-13 09:38

On 2019/06/10 I received an email from DJI enews announcing a Summer Sale with savings up to 18% from June 7th to June 16th, when I checked it out they were offering Goggle RE for 18% off or $100 less at $449. Having given up on getting ANYONE, DJI or DJI dealers to furnish the Date of Manufacture I ordered the Goggle RE at $449 with no tax and free shipping on a Friday evening, they arrived Wednesday morning.  

With that much "money" why are you even using a Mavic 2 Zoom?
2019-6-20
Use props
Airheadbit
lvl.4
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 6-20 20:08
With that much "money" why are you even using a Mavic 2 Zoom?

I don't understand? Money or the Zoom?
2019-6-21
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Airheadbit Posted at 6-14 14:48
More testing, same area with no power lines of towers but this time when I passed 1.8 miles loss of signal with a return home. The Mavic 2 Zoom RC worked, I turned the Goggles RE off and took control. Later that afternoon I had a chance to install the LHCP Pagoda antenna but only got a mile away before warning about wind and a low battery notice which surprised me since it was charged last night and installed before the flight.
As it stands it appears that this new 2019-2 Goggles RE has the same issue as older DOM Goggles RE units and with the information in this thread it sounds like the MAVIC 2 RC is the issue since the Smart Controller appears to work with the MAVIC 2 and Goggles RE.
I'll second the motion that DJI provide MAVIC 2 users that have purchased Goggles RE a replacement DJI Smart Controller for the MAVIC 2 RC.

information in this thread it sounds like the MAVIC 2 RC is the issue since the Smart Controller appears to work with the MAVIC 2 and Goggles RE.

Sorry but only partially true. I tested with my Smart controller and it has exactly the same issues as the standard controller. BUT. You can use the HDMI cable with the Smart controller and not link the goggles RE. Then it's OK.

Cheers Brian
2019-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules