Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI acknowledges Goggles RE design flaw
32585 448 2019-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UNsyncED
First Officer
Flight distance : 1083392 ft
Australia

*** A refined description of the Goggles RE design flaw post #372 ***

*** Update on DJI's denial of the issue post #361 ***

*** DJI are now denying that there is an issue. Please see posts #304 & #311 ***

*** See Post #220 for a video of the known issue ***

*** Unfortunately all is not resolved. Please see Post #206 ***

*** Please see Post # 43, as it seems that DJI has resolved the issue ***
** I hope that DJI covers all expenses in repairing this issue for all owners/consumers **

Once the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom was released, those who owned the DJI Goggles RE as well as those who purchased the Mavic 2 and Goggles RE combo pack, were experiencing a freezing of both devices simultaneously. Initially the users thought that the issue was simply a firmware issue, with the Mavic 2, and were waiting for the next update.  The next update came, and there was no fix.  We then waited for the follow firmware update and still no fix.  Because the issue wasn’t resolved with the firmware, suspicion grew that the Mavic 2 had a hardware fault.

Within in the last month, 7 months since release, one of the forum members received a message from Technical Support acknowledging that there was a fault, but it wasn’t with the Mavic 2, either Hardware or Firmware, it was with the Goggles RE’s hardware/electronics.  At no point in time did we suspect that the Goggles RE had an issue, as it worked smoothly with the Mavic Pro wirelessly and with devices which are connected via USB or HDMI.

I have sent my Goggles RE back to the service centre in Australia for repair.  Initially I was given a quote from DJI to replace the hardware/electronics, which I honestly was surprised by as the fault was with DJI not the user.  The quote was adjusted to a free warranty repair, however this maybe because in Australia the consumer is protected by legislation from faulty products (link for those who are interested: https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund ).  I do hope that DJI will offer all people who are affected by this issue a free repair, and that those who own the Mavic 2 and the Goggles RE are contacted by DJI.

As this is still in the early days since the issue has been confirmed, I’m not aware if new hardware fixing the issue has been design, built and is ready to be shipped to service centres around the world.  I’m yet to receive my Goggles RE back (I’m still in the typical service repair period) so therefore am unable to make comment on performance, etc.

As for those who are looking to purchase the Goggles RE from your local retailer, use caution. I’m not saying don’t by the Goggles RE (because they are a great compliment to your drones), but verify that they were produced from late February 2019 onwards.

2019-3-21
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

DJI has posted the following post to a different thread.  I do strongly believe that it important for their post to be placed immediately after Post #1.

*DJI's post*
Hi all, if your Mavic 2 loses its image transmission signal after flying a few hundred meters away with the Goggles RE turned on, please make troubleshooting first:
1. Check if the 5.8G antenna is mounted on the Goggles RE correctly.
2. Check if there are any abnormalities in the image transmission using the 2.4G and 5.8G frequency bands.

If the issue persists, we recommend to send back the Goggles RE to our official repair center for the diagnosis, please start a ticket online https://repair.dji.com/repair/index if it is available for you or contact our support team www.dji.com/support. Once the ticket is created, please keep us updated with the case number, we will follow up, thank you.
2019-3-21
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing this. I just linked my Re's to my zoom a few weeks ago.
I was able to get just under 750m or just under a half mile, disappointed yes.

I purchased my Re's when they first came out in Dec of 2017.
2019-3-21
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
First Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

UNsyncED Posted at 3-21 17:50
DJI has posted the following post to a different thread.  I do strongly believe that it important for their post to be placed immediately after Post #1.

*DJI's post*

just to confirm, is this an issue with the RE's? I was looking between the normal and RE and was wondering if it would be better to get the normals, or look for a post feb 2019 RE set?
2019-3-21
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

AlphaFlightNW Posted at 3-21 20:01
just to confirm, is this an issue with the RE's? I was looking between the normal and RE and was wondering if it would be better to get the normals, or look for a post feb 2019 RE set?

I would encourage you to purchase the RE version, as it’s much more capable than the “normal”.

Maybe one of the moderators can advise where you can purchase an updated model.
2019-3-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi AlphaFlightNW, according to customers' feedback, the white Goggles should work fine, but as UNsyncED mentioned, Goggles RE is more capable than the Goggles.
2019-3-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

For anyone who visits this thread, please refer the post in 2# if you have the issues that Mavic 2 loses its image transmission signal after flying a few hundred meters away with the Goggles RE turned on, thank you.
2019-3-22
Use props
KerryG
First Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Install the 5.8 antenna and the issue goes away.
2019-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

*DJI's post*

I think that’s fairly clear, let’s hope they can be sorted in a timely manner. Great thread .
2019-3-22
Use props
fanscc7f3ebe
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-22 00:40
For anyone who visits this thread, please refer the post in 2# if you have the issues that Mavic 2 loses its image transmission signal after flying a few hundred meters away with the Goggles RE turned on, thank you.

hi dji Mindy,

My RE was manufactured 12/2017 , is it safe to say, that it has a problem too.?
I tried the pagoda antenna  usiing 5.8 and then 2,4.

i can go as far as 1 km, then disconnect happen.
2019-3-22
Use props
ShadyDealer
First Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not bonded the first ten ones yet to my Mav Pro 2 but on my Mav Pro they worked fantastically. If your unsure how often you’ll use them, save yourself some cash and get the original goggles.
2019-3-23
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

fanscc7f3ebe Posted at 3-22 19:17
hi dji Mindy,

Yes, yours suffers the same issue.
2019-3-23
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

For anyone who visits this thread, please refer the post in 2# if you have the issues that Mavic 2 loses its image transmission signal after flying a few hundred meters away with the Goggles RE turned on, thank you.

Hi Mindy,

Would you please confirm that an updated hardware component is available and has been updated on all DJI RE Goggles and shipped with Goggles post Feb 2019?

I have 2 sets of RE goggles and would like to have them updated if this is indeed the case.

Can you please confirm, this information and advise.

Cheers Brian
2019-3-23
Use props
Mike1983
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I'm just trying to create a repair request, the system doesn't recognise my serial number.....
2019-3-24
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Mike1983 Posted at 3-24 00:28
I'm just trying to create a repair request, the system doesn't recognise my serial number.....

I had the same issue. The service center generated a serial number (for tracking) on receiving the goggles.

As the defect is known, I’d ask for a quote prior to sending the goggles to the service center. They don’t require your goggles to generate the quote. I hope that they cover all costs.  You couldn’t imagine Apple charging you for a flaw in their design, so why should DJI charge for their defect?
2019-3-24
Use props
roamer105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3156145 ft
  • >>>
United States

*DJI's post*

I am sorry but I don’t buy that response. After using the RE goggles with the smart controller and my M2P all problems are gone and the goggles work just fine. Yet using these goggles with the original controller is a disaster. So, since they work fine with the smart controller logic dictates that the problem must lie with the original controller.
2019-3-24
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

roamer105 Posted at 3-24 15:25
I am sorry but I don’t buy that response. After using the RE goggles with the smart controller and my M2P all problems are gone and the goggles work just fine. Yet using these goggles with the original controller is a disaster. So, since they work fine with the smart controller logic dictates that the problem must lie with the original controller.

I’ll let you know how well they work after I get my Goggles back.

As I said in post #1, our original thoughts were either the drone or the Controller.  

I’ve just re-watched the launch video, and roughly at the 21 minute mark, DJI talks about the dual transmission on Occusync 2.0. I believe that the Goggles RE weren’t able to perform the frequency hoping. As the white goggles only transmit on the 2.4 GHz spectrum, frequency hoping wasn’t an issue

But as I said, I’ll let you know how it goes.
2019-3-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fanscc7f3ebe Posted at 3-22 19:17
hi dji Mindy,

Hi there, sorry for the late response because of the weekend, yes, it is recommended to send in for further evaluation, once you create the ticket, please don't forget to keep me updated with the case number, thanks.
2019-3-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mike1983 Posted at 3-24 00:28

Hi Mike, please choose your product by Product Model when filling the online form, here is the screenshot for your reference. GTScreenshot_20190325_110901.png
2019-3-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

bjr981s Posted at 3-23 01:52
Hi Mindy,

Would you please confirm that an updated hardware component is available and has been updated on all DJI RE Goggles and shipped with Goggles post Feb 2019?

Brian, our engineers are still working on locating the root reason, please send in if your Goggles RE has the same issue, once we get further information from our engineers, we will let you know.
2019-3-24
Use props
Mike1983
lvl.3
United Kingdom

You must be lucky.
The performance of mine is completely crippled using either the standard or smart controller.
2019-3-24
Use props
Mike1983
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-24 19:10
Hi Mike, please choose your product by Product Model when filling the online form, here is the screenshot for your reference.[view_image]

Hi

I've created a repair request, case ID CAS-2851656-D7Q8S9

Just waiting on the shipping label.

Thanks
2019-3-24
Use props
Mike1983
lvl.3
United Kingdom

UNsyncED Posted at 3-24 14:25
I had the same issue. The service center generated a serial number (for tracking) on receiving the goggles.

As the defect is known, I’d ask for a quote prior to sending the goggles to the service center. They don’t require your goggles to generate the quote. I hope that they cover all costs.  You couldn’t imagine Apple charging you for a flaw in their design, so why should DJI charge for their defect?

Good advice.

If they try charging me, I'll just return to Amazon and spam negative reviews everywhere.
2019-3-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mike1983 Posted at 3-24 22:01
Hi

I've created a repair request, case ID CAS-2851656-D7Q8S9

Thanks for the case number, we will inform the repair center to take care of it when it arrives.
2019-3-24
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

I thought that I’d collate all of the information about the Mavic 2 and Goggles RE which has been published  by DJI:

OcuSync Video Transmission Module

DJI Goggles deliver FPV video with ultimate speed, stability, and clarity. The OcuSync Video Transmission Module offers 2.4 and 5.8 GHz dual-band digital video transmission with latency as low as 50 ms and a maximum control range of up to 7 km.1 Equipped with an array of powerful features, such as 1280×960 HD transmission,3 and automatic Frequency-Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS) transmission, this module is compatible with a variety of multi-rotor and fixed-wing aircraft. Packed with advanced tech and features, as well as external modules to suit a variety of setups, DJI Goggles RE achieve immersive drone racing that is unparalleled.

Automatic FHSS Technology

When encountering wireless interference, the OcuSync Module will quickly and automatically switch between the 2.4 and 5.8 GHz channels to maintain unobstructed transmission.

Soar Above and See More Clearly

The all-new OcuSync 2.0 provides a 1080p video transmission signal up to an astonishing eight kilometers1 away, allowing you to fly further without constraints. Edit and upload Full High Definition (FHD) resolution footage directly to social media from the cache. Original images shot during flight can be automatically saved to your mobile device without the need to download it from the aircraft manually.

2.4 to 5.8 GHz Real-Time Auto-Switching

The Mavic Pro relies on 2.4 GHz transmission; a signal frequency commonly interrupted by multiple wireless devices. However, by supporting auto-switching between both 2.4 and 5.8 GHz bands, the Mavic 2 can always transmit on the clearest signal – crucial for high-interference environments.

Fast Downloading, Low-Latency

OcuSync 2.0 offers a theoretical download speed of up to of 40 Mbps and latency as low as 120 ms, delivering a smoother video feed and overall better control experience.

DJI Goggles Series

The DJI Goggles series 14 connects with the Mavic 2 wirelessly via OcuSync. Users can now enjoy an enhanced experience with lower latency and a clearer 1080p video transmission range of up to 8 km. 1 In Head Tracking mode, the gimbal (yaw) control range is up to -75° to +75°, offering users a more immersive FPV flight experience.

FAQ Remote Controller and Video Transmission

1.How has the FHD video transmission of OcuSync 2.0 improved over the first OcuSync?
OcuSync 2.0 supports both 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz frequency bands, featuring stronger interference resistance and auto-switching capabilities to deliver 8 km 1080p video transmission feeds (unobstructed, free of interference, and when FCC compliant).

Product FAQ

3.Is the Mavic 2 compatible with DJI Goggles series?
Yes. The Mavic 2 is compatible with DJI Goggles (firmware version 01.04.0500 or above) and DJI Goggles RE (firmware version 01.00.0600 or above). Please first activate DJI Goggles or DJI Goggles RE and update their firmware to the latest one on your computer using DJI Assistant 2. Power on DJI Goggles or DJI Goggles RE, choose Linking in Settings, then choose Mavic 2. Press the link button on the Mavic 2 and wait for a few seconds to connect DJI Goggles or DJI Goggles RE to the aircraft. DJI Goggles only support the 2.4 GHz signal frequency, while DJI Goggles RE support 2.4/5.8GHz dual signal frequency for more powerful performance.

DJI Mavic 2 Product Launch

“Mavic 2 gives you the highest quality live view of any DJI drone, to do it we’ve created a brand new transmission system called Ocusync 2.0. It switches automatically between 2.4 and 5.8 gigahertz frequencies to give you better interference resistance. And we’ve optimized performance by separating the uplink and downlink signals and now work on different frequencies which makes this the most reliable transmission system that we’ve developed. And even here, Mavic 2 offers important new improvements for visual creators. The Live View image displays at full 1080p resolution at distances up to 5 miles versus 1.25 miles with Mavic Pro. But it’s not really about the distance, the stronger system means that the drone can maintain a strong link even when its environment is jammed by WiFi and other electronic devices...”
2019-3-25
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-24 19:12
Brian, our engineers are still working on locating the root reason, please send in if your Goggles RE has the same issue, once we get further information from our engineers, we will let you know.

Thanks for the advice Mindy,

I will try both my Zoom and Pro with both sets of Goggles RE with both my Smart Controllers and Standard Controllers.

The weather here is woeful. Will try as soon as weather clears and have time to test. Will advise.

Cheers Brian

2019-3-25
Use props
Mavical
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2206696 ft
United States

Put me in the same camp with Mike1983….

I was about to send my Goggles RE to DJI as instructed, but then I received a reply to my post (check out post #65) here from someone suggesting if I had a new Smart Controller then I should run a test flight.   

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... les-re.51064/page-4

Once I finally had a chance to fly my Mavic 2 Pro with my new Smart Controller and Goggles RE I was really floored with my results….for the first time since owning the M2P and Goggles RE together, I was able to reach 3 miles (in Normal Mode) easily. I was also able to keep it in HD mode for about a mile.

I never thought that the culprit would be the original M2P RC unit. I am super happy to be able to use my Goggles RE again.

What is strange is that DJI are still saying it’s the Goggles, not the original RC unit… so how can they explain how others who have the combo of SRC + M2P + Goggles RE are obtaining the correct range?

I will be curious over time to see how DJI responds to this clear design issue with their original controller.
2019-3-25
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Mavical Posted at 3-25 18:20

I was about to send my Goggles RE to DJI as instructed, but then I received a reply to my post (check out post #65) here from someone suggesting if I had a new Smart Controller then I should run a test flight.   

If your range is now 1 mile in FHD, I would suggest that your goggles are only working on the 2.4 ghz frequency.  The basic Goggles (white) are capped to 1.25 miles as it's only able to transmit on the 2.4 ghz range, whereas the Goggles RE is, supposably, capable of fly for 5 miles, in FHD, as it can transmit on both the 2.4 and 5.8 ghz ranges.  

During the Mavic 2 launch, the following was said in regards to transmission:
"Mavic 2 gives you the highest quality live view of any DJI drone, to do it we’ve created a brand new transmission system called Ocusync 2.0. It switches automatically between 2.4 and 5.8 gigahertz frequencies to give you better interference resistance. And we’ve optimized performance by separating the uplink and downlink signals and now work on different frequencies which makes this the most reliable transmission system that we’ve developed. And even here, Mavic 2 offers important new improvements for visual creators. The Live View image displays at full 1080p resolution at distances up to 5 miles versus 1.25 miles with Mavic Pro."

The Mavic 2 FAQ section says:
"Is the Mavic 2 capable with DJI Goggles Series?
... DJI Goggles only support the 2.4 Ghz signal frequency, while DJI Goggles RE support 2.4/5.8Ghz dual signal frequency for more powerful performance”

This is why I believe that it is the Goggles RE.  Once you hit your '1 mile' limitation, turn your goggles off and see if you can fly further.
One more thing that I'd like to add is that I do not own the smart controller, and neither do I want to purchase one to get my goggles working.
2019-3-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

bjr981s Posted at 3-25 03:57
Thanks for the advice Mindy,

I will try both my Zoom and Pro with both sets of Goggles RE with both my Smart Controllers and Standard Controllers.

That would be great, please double check if the short distance issue will happen to Goggles RE+ Smart Controller. Looking forward to your update.
2019-3-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mavical Posted at 3-25 18:20

Mavical, thanks for your feedback, may I verify if your original RC works normally without connecting to the Goggles RE? May I have the SN of your RC?
2019-3-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hi roamer105, we appreciate your feedback, may I verify if the Original RC works normally without connecting to the Goggles RE? Here are three situations we would like to confirm:
1. Original RC + Aircraft without the Goggles RE.
2. Original RC + Aircraft + Goggles RE.
3. Smart Controller RC + Aircraft + Goggles RE.
Besides, may I have the SN of your original RC?
2019-3-25
Use props
Mike1983
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-25 20:29
Hi roamer105, we appreciate your feedback, may I verify if the Original RC works normally without connecting to the Goggles RE? Here are three situations we would like to confirm:
1. Original RC + Aircraft without the Goggles RE.
2. Original RC + Aircraft + Goggles RE.

Hi

I noticed you hadn’t had a reply to this but in my case the goggles cause severe range limitation when using either the standard controller or the smart controller.  Both consistently after just a small distance.  Once the goggles are turned off mid flight, signal is regained.

I’ve now posted my goggles to you, UPS collected today so you should have them soon.

Have anyone else’s been repaired yet or is it just Unsynced and my own that have had a recent case created?

I’m actually a little worried that earlier on in this thread it’s stated that your engineers are still trying to understand the problem.  Hopefully they have enough feedback and evidence by now to know what’s causing this / if it’s a lost cause and we should just get our money back?
2019-3-27
Use props
Rfern
First Officer
Flight distance : 482805 ft
United States

I have created a case and sent mine in today as well. Same issues. I’ve well documented them in other threads along with unsynced
2019-3-27
Use props
Mavical
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2206696 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-25 20:24
Mavical, thanks for your feedback, may I verify if your original RC works normally without connecting to the Goggles RE? May I have the SN of your RC?

Thanks for your question Mindy.

Yes, I can confirm that my original RC unit works perfectly with my Mavic 2 Pro when not connected to my Goggles RE

Additionally, please see attached a screenshot from an email I received from DJI last week, the email in part reads:

“As per our Engineers, they recommend you to send the Goggles to our facility to replace the core board of the Goggles.”

My questions back to you Mindy is this, specifially what repair will take place when DJI receives our Goggles RE if I send them in? Will the core board actually be replaced? or is DJI still trying to understand the cause and repair for this issue?

As you can see from the other posts here there is some confusion from us on what steps DJI will take once our Goggles are received.

I think most of us here will be curious to see how UNsyncED & Mike's units are repaired. Thanks in advance gentlemen for keeping us posted!

2019-3-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mike1983 Posted at 3-27 11:35
Hi

I noticed you hadn’t had a reply to this but in my case the goggles cause severe range limitation when using either the standard controller or the smart controller.  Both consistently after just a small distance.  Once the goggles are turned off mid flight, signal is regained.

Mike, appreciate your feedback, could you please export the log of the original RC (connect the RC to DJI Assistant for Mavic) and upload to Dropbox or Google Drive, then post the link here for further analysis?
2019-3-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mavical Posted at 3-27 18:39

Yes, I can confirm that my original RC unit works perfectly with my Mavic 2 Pro when not connected to my Goggles RE

Thanks for getting back, we are still working on locating the problem and it was suggested by our engineers to replace the whole Goggles RE if you send in.
But since you reported that Goggles RE works great with the Smart Controller, could you please export the log of the original RC (connect the RC to DJI Assistant for Mavic) and upload to Dropbox or Google Drive, then post the link here for further analysis?
2019-3-27
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Mavical Posted at 3-27 18:39

My Goggles will be arriving tomorrow. It’ll be interesting to see if it works.

I’m a little concerned that the R’n’D Team are experimenting, especially considering that DJI wanted to charge me for the REPAIR. I’m glad that Australian Legislation protects me from faulty products.
It sounds like Rfern is sending goggles in too.
2019-3-27
Use props
Rfern
First Officer
Flight distance : 482805 ft
United States

UNsyncED Posted at 3-27 23:08
My Goggles will be arriving tomorrow. It’ll be interesting to see if it works.

I’m a little concerned that the R’n’D Team are experimenting, especially considering that DJI wanted to charge me for the REPAIR. I’m glad that Australian Legislation protects me from faulty products.

Yes, mine were sent in yesterday , but I don’t expect to have mine back for a few weeks. I’m in NY and I believe mine went to California. But I will keep everyone updated on my results. I’m looking forward to yours as well.
Thanks
2019-3-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Rfern Posted at 3-27 16:11
I have created a case and sent mine in today as well. Same issues. I’ve well documented them in other threads along with unsynced

Sorry to know you have the same issue, Rfern, I managed to get the case number and will inform the repair center to take care of it, please keep us updated here if you need any assistance.
2019-3-28
Use props
Gene2
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-28 05:12
Sorry to know you have the same issue, Rfern, I managed to get the case number and will inform the repair center to take care of it, please keep us updated here if you need any assistance.

Hello Mindy,

DJI is a company that has over 3000 employees and about 3 billion in sales.

Can anyone at this large company actually use the goggles re with mavic pro 2 at advertised ranges?   --- This is a yes or no question---

You have the serial numbers of the faulty products it cannot take over half a year for a handful out of 3000 employees to take a similar or even a new batch outside and fly.  I hope I'm wrong because I want to buy the goggles re but I suspect the engineers you are talking about are just repair or replace technicians.  I say this because you have not stated, on your own, that you have any evidence for goggles re working with mavic pro 2.

2019-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules