Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI acknowledges Goggles RE design flaw
32514 448 2019-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UNsyncED
First Officer
Flight distance : 1083392 ft
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-28 05:12
Sorry to know you have the same issue, Rfern, I managed to get the case number and will inform the repair center to take care of it, please keep us updated here if you need any assistance.

Thanks Mindy for your efforts in supporting these repairs.  I know that you understand our frustration and are trying your best to alleviate our concerns.
2019-3-28
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Gene2 Posted at 3-28 11:05
Hello Mindy,

DJI is a company that has over 3000 employees and about 3 billion in sales.
Hi Gene,

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with most of the things that you say, including “3000 employees”, one way communication from moderators to engineers, denial of the issue, no feedback on the timeline for a fix, $billions in sales and trying to charge the consumers for a design flaw, etc. If you look back at the threads that I’ve created, they follow the same thoughts as you have.

But I don’t feel that Mindy is the person for you to point your finger at. Mindy is the 1st moderator (from about 4) to take real interest in this issue, has supported the users, has managed to have a two way communication with the engineers, and has added case notes on our repair files to expedite our repair.

If you’re interested in purchasing the DJI Goggles RE, I strongly encourage it, once the product has been proven functional. We’re at the final hurdle and should have an outcome during the weekend. I’ll keep this thread up to date with my progress with testing the goggles.
2019-3-28
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

This morning I received my Goggles RE headset back from the DJI Service Center in Australia. I then proceeded to charge my 3 Mavic 2 Batteries, Controller and DJI Goggles and was desperate to test out my setup. Would you believe it, today has been the windiest day (17 km/h) I’ve seen in more than 3 months, so I was extremely hesitant to test my DJI gear. Knowing that the WHOLE (I’m joking) community was depending on me, I couldn’t help but test the Goggles, etc., so I headed out to the top of the hill, where the wind is strongest and also one of the locations where my Mavic 2 and Goggles RE froze. I set the LiveView to 1080p30, made sure that both Controller and Goggles were set to ‘dual band’, configured all of the normal settings and decided to take off.  Off I flew to where my Goggles and Controller froze, hoping to not have a “crashed” (excuse the pun). And ... no issues, the Goggles and Mavic 2 behaved how I expected them too, plus the controller and goggles could lose signal independently without affecting the other.  I can’t go into how I tested the setup, because I’m sure that the local Civial Aviation body wouldn’t be happy.

I do have a couple of proviso though:
- the response time between drone and receiver was laggy, maybe that was due to my iPhone 6 struggling to screen record and display the video feed.
- this is the first time I’ve tested the set up and the issue may still exist.
- I was very scared to fully test the set up due to the high winds.
- it seemed that the RTH function didn’t automatically start as expected, even though it was correctly set up, but this maybe due to the lag, etc.
- new serial number and covered with cellophane, so the goggles may have been replaced

I’ll continue to test the Mavic 2 and Goggles RE and if an issue arises, I’ll inform the community.

I do want to express one thing, DJI should (100%) cover the costs of this repair for everyone that purchased the Goggles RE.

2019-3-28
Use props
Mike1983
lvl.3
France

UNsyncED Posted at 3-28 21:22
This morning I received my Goggles RE headset back from the DJI Service Center in Australia. I then proceeded to charge my 3 Mavic 2 Batteries, Controller and DJI Goggles and was desperate to test out my setup. Would you believe it, today has been the windiest day I’ve seen in more than 3 months, so I was extremely hesitant to test my DJI gear. Knowing that the WHOLE (I’m joking) community was depending on me, I couldn’t help but test the Goggles, etc., so I headed out to the top of the hill, where the wind is strongest and also one of the locations where my Mavic 2 and Goggles RE froze. I set the LiveView to 1080p30, configured all of the normal settings and decided to take off.  Off I flew to where my Goggles and Controller froze, hoping to not have a “crashed” (excuse the pun). And ... no issues, the Goggles and Mavic 2 behaved how I expected them too.  I could go into how I tested it the setup, because I’m sure that the local Civial Aviation body wouldn’t be happy.
- the response time was laggy, maybe that was due to my iPhone 6 struggling to screen record and display the video feed.

That's great news, thanks for the update.

Mine are set to be delivered to DJI on Monday so I'll hopefuilly have mine back for next weekend where I'll be able to test with a Smart Controller.

Did yours come with any notes as to how they were repaired / what the defect was?  Or were they just replaced?  I'd be hoping warranty gets renewed considering we've not been able to use these properly due to the design flaw.
2019-3-28
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Mike1983 Posted at 3-28 21:39
That's great news, thanks for the update.

Mine are set to be delivered to DJI on Monday so I'll hopefuilly have mine back for next weekend where I'll be able to test with a Smart Controller.

No notes, new serial number, so may have been replaced. Was covered with cellophane/cling wrap.
2019-3-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

This morning I received my Goggles RE headset back from the DJI Service Center in Australia. I then proceeded to charge my 3 Mavic 2 Batteries, Controller and DJI Goggles and was desperate to test out my setup. Would you believe it, today has been the windiest day (17 km/h) I’ve seen in more than 3 months, so I was extremely hesitant to test my DJI gear. Knowing that the WHOLE (I’m joking) community was depending on me, I couldn’t help but test the Goggles, etc., so I headed out to the top of the hill, where the wind is strongest and also one of the locations where my Mavic 2 and Goggles RE froze. I set the LiveView to 1080p30, made sure that both Controller and Goggles were set to ‘dual band’, configured all of the normal settings and decided to take off.  Off I flew to where my Goggles and Controller froze, hoping to not have a “crashed” (excuse the pun). And ... no issues, the Goggles and Mavic 2 behaved how I expected them too.  I could go into how I tested it the setup, because I’m sure that the local Civial Aviation body wouldn’t be happy.

Thanks for looking out for me, I will keep following up this problem until it is sorted out.
Glad to know you have received the replacement, please keep testing in great weather and let us know the result.
2019-3-29
Use props
Rfern
First Officer
Flight distance : 482805 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-28 05:12
Sorry to know you have the same issue, Rfern, I managed to get the case number and will inform the repair center to take care of it, please keep us updated here if you need any assistance.

Thank you very much DJI Mindy!
2019-3-29
Use props
Mavical
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2206696 ft
United States

This morning I received my Goggles RE headset back from the DJI Service Center in Australia. I then proceeded to charge my 3 Mavic 2 Batteries, Controller and DJI Goggles and was desperate to test out my setup. Would you believe it, today has been the windiest day (17 km/h) I’ve seen in more than 3 months, so I was extremely hesitant to test my DJI gear. Knowing that the WHOLE (I’m joking) community was depending on me, I couldn’t help but test the Goggles, etc., so I headed out to the top of the hill, where the wind is strongest and also one of the locations where my Mavic 2 and Goggles RE froze. I set the LiveView to 1080p30, made sure that both Controller and Goggles were set to ‘dual band’, configured all of the normal settings and decided to take off.  Off I flew to where my Goggles and Controller froze, hoping to not have a “crashed” (excuse the pun). And ... no issues, the Goggles and Mavic 2 behaved how I expected them too, plus the controller and goggles could lose signal independently without affecting the other.  I can’t go into how I tested the setup, because I’m sure that the local Civial Aviation body wouldn’t be happy.

Thanks UNsyncED for being our “Tester” on this issue and for your reporting back to all of us after receiving the new unit. Much appreciated.

Just two follow up questions:

- Despite the high winds when you tested, how far did you actually fly?

- Did the Goggles freeze or disconnect at all during your test run?
2019-3-29
Use props
Gene2
lvl.4
United States

UNsyncED Posted at 3-28 13:45
Hi Gene,

Welcome to the forum.

Hi UnsyncEd,

I've been following your  threads for 6 months because I want to buy the goggles re.  

Mindy has indeed been responding , probably because she has been granted the authority to speak within established guidelines, and we should be thankful for that.  She actually understands the problem and is not just reading from a script that emphasizes endless empty apologies devoid of any meaningful action.  

I applaud you and others for how you have conducted your responses and restrained your frustration.  I hope this is a successful resolution.

When this is resolved I hope that DJI/Mindy will provide information about how to buy a set of goggles re that actually work.

Gene

2019-3-29
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Mavical Posted at 3-29 08:49
Thanks UNsyncED for being our “Tester” on this issue and for your reporting back to all of us after receiving the new unit. Much appreciated.

Just two follow up questions:

You’re welcome, anything to help the community.

I had 2 flights, the first flight was under 300m, just beyond the location where both the RC and Goggles froze previously.  I was viewing the flight through the headset and was screen recording the iPhone. Just before the 300m mark, the headset went grey due to a loss of reception.  I took a screen shot of the headset. I must have presumed that I also lost signal on the RC, as the video feed was jittery/laggy/jumpy (most likely from the screen recording). The video below is roughly around the time I lost reception on the headset.

* Looking back on the video feed, before this video below, I received the warning “Mobile Device CPU Fully Loaded. Related performance will be affected”.  The goggles were smooth in vision until lose of signal. I can’t recall if I turn off the goggles after losing reception. *

Looking back on the video, I can see why the RTH wasn’t activated, as it looks like the disconnection duration wasn’t long enough.

I’m a little concerned about Obstacle Avoidance disabling and then becoming unavailable. I’m also a little curious why the drone lost connection with the RC even though the RC said that it had reception.

Another observation is that the video feed became pixelated even though the video reception says that its full.   

The second flight was within the “2.4 ghz” range, clear of RF noise. Nothing to report.

2019-3-29
Use props
djiuser_Tuuz94kwu5xM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1643907 ft
United States

Mike1983 Posted at 3-24 21:59
You must be lucky.
The performance of mine is completely crippled using either the standard or smart controller.

Yes, same for me...
2019-3-30
Use props
djiuser_Tuuz94kwu5xM
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-29 00:29
Thanks for looking out for me, I will keep following up this problem until it is sorted out.
Glad to know you have received the replacement, please keep testing in great weather and let us know the result.

Mindy, thank you sooo much for the effort your showing in helping all of us with this M2/Goggles RE range issue. Its extremely refreshing to see someone from DJI posting actual dialogue instead of copy-n-pasting from the DJI support handbook. Please keep it up as we all just want our products to work as advertised!
2019-3-30
Use props
djiuser_Tuuz94kwu5xM
lvl.4
United States

UNsyncED Posted at 3-29 14:49
You’re welcome, anything to help the community.

I had 2 flights, the first flight was under 300m, just beyond the location where both the RC and Goggles froze previously, and towards the limits of reception. I was viewing the flight through the headset and was screen recording the iPhone. Just before the 300m mark, the headset went grey due to a loss of reception.  I took a screen shot of the headset. I must have presumed that I also lost signal on the RC, as the video feed was jittery/laggy/jumpy (most likely from the screen recording). The video below is roughly around the time I lost reception on the headset.

UNsyncED, you are to be congratulated for all these months of keeping all of us informed. Ive seen your posts along with several others that all helped me keep from thinking Im crazy or just doing something wrong with my M2Z/RE combo...

Let us hope things have truly been resolved!
2019-3-30
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

I have been out for another flight today, and I had no issues.  Due to the nicer weather, I was able to extend the range of my testing. The goggles failed first, probably due to the unique antenna, i.e. circular around the head. Not much further away, the drone then lost signal. I’ll continue to test the goggles, but am growing more and more confident with them.
2019-3-31
Use props
OllieMP2Aus
lvl.2
Australia

How can i tell when my RE goggles were manufactured? They definitely seem to have the range issue. I only got them 3 days ago and tried them for the first time yesterday.
2019-3-31
Use props
OllieMP2Aus
lvl.2
Australia

UNsyncED what typical range are you getting on your mavic 2 pro in australia? I have only done 2 flights since getting them on friday. One straight up, and one (with the goggles) lost reception 200m from my house.

I was assured by multiple people that the mp2 would go for 5km with perfect transmission after having a spark for a year and terrible range issues with it (max 400m)
2019-3-31
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

OllieMP2Aus Posted at 3-31 20:26
How can i tell when my RE goggles were manufactured? They definitely seem to have the range issue. I only got them 3 days ago and tried them for the first time yesterday.

Hi Ollie, if you are cutting out after a short distance after taking off, and both RE and M2 freeze, you have the issue. Because you are from Australia, you have normal Consumer Rights. Would be worth sending it into DJI. If you contact DJI, be sure to share you case # to DJI_Mindy.
2019-3-31
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_Tuuz94kwu5xM Posted at 3-30 19:11
Mindy, thank you sooo much for the effort your showing in helping all of us with this M2/Goggles RE range issue. Its extremely refreshing to see someone from DJI posting actual dialogue instead of copy-n-pasting from the DJI support handbook. Please keep it up as we all just want our products to work as advertised!

I understand your concern, if you have the same problem, please send in for further evaluation.
2019-3-31
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

OllieMP2Aus Posted at 3-31 20:26
How can i tell when my RE goggles were manufactured? They definitely seem to have the range issue. I only got them 3 days ago and tried them for the first time yesterday.

Hi OllieMP2Auys, if your Mavic 2 loses its image transmission signal after flying a few hundred meters away with the Goggles RE turned on, please make troubleshooting first:
1. Check if the 5.8G antenna is mounted on the Goggles RE correctly.
2. Check if there are any abnormalities in the image transmission using the 2.4G and 5.8G frequency bands.

If the issue persists, we recommend to send back the Goggles RE to our official repair center for the diagnosis, please start a ticket online https://repair.dji.com/repair/index if it is available for you or contact our support team www.dji.com/support. Once the ticket is created, please keep us updated with the case number, we will follow up, thank you.
2019-3-31
Use props
Mike1983
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-24 23:33
Thanks for the case number, we will inform the repair center to take care of it when it arrives.

Hi Mindy

My Goggles were delivered on Monday afternoon but my case still shows up as awaiting receipt.  Not sure if this is anything to worry about at this point in time?

Case number CAS-2851656-D7Q8S9

Hope to get a functioning replacement back soon and I’ll let you all know how they perform with a Smart Controller.

Thanks

2019-4-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mike1983 Posted at 4-2 11:37
Hi Mindy

My Goggles were delivered on Monday afternoon but my case still shows up as awaiting receipt.  Not sure if this is anything to worry about at this point in time?

Sorry for the delay on receiving the package, I have pushed the facility to get it checked-in as soon as possible, please check the status later.
2019-4-2
Use props
walttheartist
Second Officer
Flight distance : 46696 ft
Canada

How do I find the manufacture date and the serial number of my RE goggles?
2019-4-3
Use props
walttheartist
Second Officer
Canada

How or where do I find the manufacture date and the serial number of my RE goggles? There's nothing on the goggles themselves - except a small bar code.
2019-4-3
Use props
Mike1983
lvl.3
United Kingdom

walttheartist Posted at 4-3 06:23
How or where do I find the manufacture date and the serial number of my RE goggles? There's nothing on the goggles themselves - except a small bar code.

Mine was on the headband, under the DJI logo, imprinted underneath the barcode on the sticker.
Note the repair system doesn't automatically recognise it.  I typed mine into the case description text.
2019-4-3
Use props
Mike1983
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-2 20:20
Sorry for the delay on receiving the package, I have pushed the facility to get it checked-in as soon as possible, please check the status later.

Thanks Mindy, it is now classed as received and being assessed.   Hoping this repair centre (Europe) is well aware of the common fault and this is a speedy process.
2019-4-3
Use props
fans48b12a43
lvl.1

United States

Hi Mindy,

I have the same issue. I purchased my goggles in Dec and have been fighting the range and app disconnect issue ever since. The antenna helped a bit but the range is still awful and the app can crash at anytime. I've had both the goggles and the app crash within seconds of one another leaving me RTH as the only option for recovery. I just caught up on all the recent postings and I'm happy to see that DJI is now engaged in resolving this. My case number is CAS-2894952-G2C4Z8.
2019-4-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mike1983 Posted at 4-3 07:57
Thanks Mindy, it is now classed as received and being assessed.   Hoping this repair centre (Europe) is well aware of the common fault and this is a speedy process.

Yes, it has been received, the repair center will take care of it and hope you will get it back soon.
2019-4-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

walttheartist Posted at 4-3 06:23
How or where do I find the manufacture date and the serial number of my RE goggles? There's nothing on the goggles themselves - except a small bar code.

Hi walttheartist, Mike is correct, please find the serial number on the headband or the box, there is a white stick. The manufacture date usually can be found on the package too.
2019-4-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans48b12a43 Posted at 4-3 19:55
Hi Mindy,

I have the same issue. I purchased my goggles in Dec and have been fighting the range and app disconnect issue ever since. The antenna helped a bit but the range is still awful and the app can crash at anytime. I've had both the goggles and the app crash within seconds of one another leaving me RTH as the only option for recovery. I just caught up on all the recent postings and I'm happy to see that DJI is now engaged in resolving this. My case number is CAS-2894952-G2C4Z8.

Hi there, sorry to know you have the same issue, we have left message to the local repair center to take care of it when it arrives, please wait patiently, thank you.
2019-4-4
Use props
walttheartist
Second Officer
Canada

I just sent dji the serial number and QR code of my Goggles RE to find out when they were manufactured. Their reply says "They can't determine the manufactured date of my Goggles. Thanks for my understanding".
2019-4-4
Use props
fanscc7f3ebe
lvl.2
United States

HI Unsynced

how far were you able to go with the REPAIRED or NEW RE GOGGLES?
It seems on your video that you are still getting AIRCRAFT DISCONNECTED?
Is it still problematic?

Please let us know

2019-4-4
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

fanscc7f3ebe Posted at 4-4 17:43
HI Unsynced

how far were you able to go with the REPAIRED or NEW RE GOGGLES?

Hi,

The Goggles RE are working as expected. The video shows a very noisy RF area where I expected the connection to die.

The Drone and Goggles separated independently, not like it was previously, where both crashed at the same time and couldn’t be recovered until the goggles were turned off.

So, from my experience the goggles are working. I also tested the distance issue and I didn’t have any issues.

I’ve been out for 2 flights since receiving the goggles back, but as expected, I’ll continue to test them. If I do have any problems, which I’m not expecting, I’ll report it to the community.
2019-4-4
Use props
fanscc7f3ebe
lvl.2
United States

UNsyncED Posted at 4-4 18:21
Hi,

The Goggles RE are working as expected. The video shows a very noisy RF area where I expected the connection to die.

thanks so much for the feedback, greatly appreciated.
2019-4-4
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Mike1983 Posted at 4-2 11:37
Hi Mindy

My Goggles were delivered on Monday afternoon but my case still shows up as awaiting receipt.  Not sure if this is anything to worry about at this point in time?

Have you had any updates from DJI in regards to a quote?
2019-4-4
Use props
Rfern
First Officer
Flight distance : 482805 ft
United States

Hi DJI Mindy,
You already have my case # but here it is again. CAS 2851061-J5G0Z6. My goggles were received and they’re being evaluated. The email I received says they will email me an invoice for repairs within 2-3 days. However, I am under the assumption that I will not be billed for this. I paid for goggles that were supposed to work as advertised over 6 months ago and my complaints and issues from that time have been well documented on this forum in multiple threads up until now when DJI finally acknowledge that there was an issue and to send them back. Please confirm that I will not be charged anything as would not have purchased them if I had known beforehand.
Thank you DJI MINDY
2019-4-5
Use props
OllieM2P-Aus
lvl.2
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 4-4 21:09

UNsyncED sorry I might have missed this but

1. what range are you getting now that your goggles RE have been replaced?
2. What seems to lose reception first? Goggles or RC?
3. Does the drone transmit to the RC and the goggles or does the drone transmit to the RC which then relays to the goggles?

thanks
2019-4-5
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

OllieM2P-Aus Posted at 4-5 20:55
UNsyncED sorry I might have missed this but

1. what range are you getting now that your goggles RE have been replaced?

1. I sent you a private message.
2. Goggles seem to lose reception first, but I flew without the antenna attach, which might extend the range further.
3. Based upon the Goggles losing reception first, I believe that the Controller and goggles are independent.
2019-4-5
Use props
Mike1983
lvl.3
United Kingdom

UNsyncED Posted at 4-4 21:09

Hi

They were repaired free of charge and dispatched yesterday.  I’m set to receive them Tuesday so should be able to do a decent test next weekend.

From the case notes, mine appear to have been repaired rather than replaced and a false / random reason declared as the fault.  It said something along the lines of the software intermittently freezing at startup (which they didn’t)
2019-4-5
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Mike1983 Posted at 4-5 22:40
Hi

They were repaired free of charge and dispatched yesterday.  I’m set to receive them Tuesday so should be able to do a decent test next weekend.

Interesting description. I’m glad to see that they didn’t charge you. I’m glad that things have worked out for you.
2019-4-5
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17439970 ft
Australia

So what range should we be looking at anyone had repairs done like to let us know
2019-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules