Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI acknowledges Goggles RE design flaw
32571 448 2019-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Rfern Posted at 4-9 08:50
Okay, now my goggles have been shipped back to me?!WTF.
DJI Mindy, where have you been. Can you please confirm my goggles have been repaired/replaced?? DJI Mindy, hello, hello??

Hi Rfern, sorry for the late response, please reply to one of my posts directly, then I will get the notification and reply timely.
Upon checking your case, the repair team has made the flight test and no issue was found, you were most likely failing to use the pagoda antenna. May I verify if you correctly mounted the 5.8G antenna on the Goggles RE? If yes but the issue persists, any chance to share us a short video to prove the short distance with the Mavic 2? Thank you in advance.

2019-4-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mike1983 Posted at 4-9 21:00
I've now received my goggles back but the wind was heavy yesterday so couldn't fly.

It looks like the entire screen unit has been replaced, keeping the old headband.  The screen unit has a different serial number to the headband, it came with plastic wrap and needed to be activated on DJI Assistant.  I guess that does mean warranty is refreshed though.

Mike, please have a test at your most convenience and keep me updated with the result, thank you.
2019-4-12
Use props
Rfern
First Officer
Flight distance : 482805 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-12 03:11
Hi Rfern, sorry for the late response, please reply to one of my posts directly, then I will get the notification and reply timely.
Upon checking your case, the repair team has made the flight test and no issue was found, you were most likely failing to use the pagoda antenna. May I verify if you correctly mounted the 5.8G antenna on the Goggles RE? If yes but the issue persists, any chance to share us a short video to prove the short distance with the Mavic 2? Thank you in advance.

DJI MINDY,
This is ridiculous. I did directly respond to you when DJI called me and informed me they could not find an issue, which is absurd. I’ve been posting all the issues I’ve had  with them for 6 months in this forum and now they can’t find an issue? Unbelievable. Oh, and that was 4 days ago when I reached out for you. They had already mailed them.  And all this AFTER I spoke with someone who could barely speak English promised me they would test them again and fix them before they sent them back to me!!! This is unacceptable. Yes, I’ve used the antenna, you know, the one you’re not supposed to need according to you guys?!! And I’ve tried just about everything else recommended. For Christ’s sake , look at all the threads I’ve been apart of on this forum. Now , I’m pretty much being told I’m a liar. To say this is insanely frustrating, would be a huge understatement. If these goggles show up and they have not been repaired, I demand a refund. And will explore all options to do so
2019-4-12
Use props
Rfern
First Officer
United States

DJI MINDY,
And FYI . I called the service center on Wednesday after they were mailed to confirm they were repaired. They told me at first they could not find and issue and then they told me they were repaired?
Mindy, if they have not been repaired when they are returned to me, will you assist me in getting a refund for my goggles? I’m completely exhausted trying to get this corrected and to be truthful have lost all confidence in DJI . I will not purchase anymore products from them due to their lack of professionalism and customer service with a product that they knowingly continue to sell that does not work as advertised after 6 months of fighting just to get an acknowledgement of an issue. I will explore all avenues to get a refund if the issue is not corrected when they are returned to me. I should receive them next Tuesday, according to the tracking # and I will test them ASAP and let everyone here know if they have been corrected or not.
2019-4-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Gene2 Posted at 4-9 08:10
Mindy,

If I buy Goggles RE now will it have  the same range problems?

Hi Gene2, we are still working on locating the root reason, you can still purchase the Goggles RE, if there is any problem, please keep us updated immediately.
2019-4-12
Use props
Airheadbit
lvl.4
United States

Airheadbit Posted at 4-11 22:24
It is sad when a company can not ship working product and refuses to recall known defective product. I'll hold off spending $600 on this product until I can get a confirmed serial number range or date code of working product. They need to mark product that can be used with Mavic 2 drones as Google RE2 indicating it, well works with Mavic 2 drones!

Make that Goggle RE2 not Google RE2
2019-4-12
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Flight distance : 1083392 ft
Australia

djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa Posted at 4-12 01:47
I thought 2.4 was for distance and 5.8 for the close stuff even Google tells me that ??

Have a look at post 26, it may clarify a few things.
2019-4-12
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-12 03:11

Hi Mindy, I can assure you that @ Rfern and I have been the most vocal about this issue on the forums. Rfern’s Goggles are faulty., I have no doubt of that.

I hope that you can resolve his issue. It might be worth sending him another prepaid shipping label, now, for Rfern to send the goggles back for repair, again.
2019-4-12
Use props
Rfern
First Officer
United States

UNsyncED Posted at 4-12 13:45
Hi Mindy, I can assure you that @ Rfern and I have been the most vocal about this issue on the forums. Rfern’s Goggles are faulty., I have no doubt of that.

I hope that you can resolve his issue. It might be worth sending him another prepaid shipping label, now, for Rfern to send the goggles back for repair, again.

Thank you unsynced, but I’m thinking my effort is futile. I spoke to 2 separate people this week, 1 of them called me from China , and the other I called at the DJI repair center. I could not understand either one really good but they both told me there was no issues found with the goggles until I pressed them, and then they told me they were fixed so my confidence level is low due to the info that MINDY was told . 2 questions-
    1. Why would they lie to me?
     2. Why is someone from China calling me when they went to California?
I don’t know, maybe they did fix/replace them . I doubt it , they only had them for 3 days. We will see though. Thank you for your support.
2019-4-12
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa Posted at 4-12 01:47
I thought 2.4 was for distance and 5.8 for the close stuff even Google tells me that ??

I apologise that I didn’t respond to the second part of you post.

The best analogy that I can use to describe the reason for 2.4ghz traveling further with reduced quality, compared to the 5.8 GHz, is to compare the 3 typical styles of radio transmission SW, AM and FM.

SW transmits at 1.7 - 30 MHz, and can be heard beyond the horizon and around the globe, as it bounces off the ionosphere (a layer in the atmosphere), but it sounds terrible and is full of static.

AM transmits at 535 kHz to 1.605 MHz, and can be transmitted about 165 km. AM is typically only transmitted in mono as the stereo separation is poor, reducing the quality of the audio.

FM transmits at 88 to 108 MHz, and at the same power (watts) as the AM can only travel a much shorter distance, however the stereo separation is possible and the audio sounds much better.

The analogy can be transferred to the DJI RF system, the lower the frequency the further the transmission can go, but the quality of signal is reduced. And the higher the frequency, the shorter the transmission will go, but the quality of the signal is improved.

DJI is saying that the 5.8 GHz can transmit 1080p to distances of 7+ km, and that 2.4 Ghz can transmit 1080p to distances of 1.25 km.  There is no comment as to the total distance that the 2.4 or 5.8 GHz can transmit, just that if you want the 1080p quality the 5.8 GHz frequency can transmit up to 7+ km (I say 7+ as DJI have advertised conflicting distances that 5.8GHz can transmit the 1080p signal. They have advertised both 7 and 8 km.)

The other consideration is that the 2.4 GHz signal is noisier because the radius of signal catchment is increased, whereas the 5.8 GHz frequency isn’t as noisy as the catchment radius is reduced.

I hope that this answers your query.
2019-4-12
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17439970 ft
Australia

Thanks for the reply I  and others hear appreciate everything you are doing but I do think I am probably one of the fortunate few went for a fly this morning 1080p till RTH kicked in 5.2km could have gone further and will start to push that now to see where my limits are. Thanks again UNsyncED
2019-4-12
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa Posted at 4-12 20:20
Thanks for the reply I  and others hear appreciate everything you are doing but I do think I am probably one of the fortunate few went for a fly this morning 1080p till RTH kicked in 5.2km could have gone further and will start to push that now to see where my limits are. Thanks again UNsyncED

Can you please do me a favor, next time you fly.

Set the Goggles to, under the Wireless Settings page:
Channel Mode : Auto
Radio Frequency: Dual

And also on the Goggles set the LiveView Mode to HD Mode, under the LiveView Format Settings page.

On the RC set, under the Image Transmission Settings page:
Channel: Dual
Channel Mode: Auto
Image Transmission Settings: HD Mode.

If you can test the above settings, without an antenna on the Goggles and report back to us, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
2019-4-12
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

Will give it a go in the morning if weather permits and get back to you need pen and paper to remember think lm getting old
2019-4-13
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

I tried this the other day but with the antenna it was when I checked and reflashed the firmware the goggles give me a bit of trouble. 007 but I had the antenna on but it was the first time Dual mode had worked went out around Toothbrush Island 3.2km will give ago without antenna tomorrow.
2019-4-13
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa Posted at 4-13 01:59
I tried this the other day but with the antenna it was when I checked and reflashed the firmware the goggles give me a bit of trouble. 007 but I had the antenna on but it was the first time Dual mode had worked went out around Toothbrush Island 3.2km will give ago without antenna tomorrow.

Make sure that both the goggles and RC are set to Dual, Auto and HD.

As you said in the original post, you only managed to fly 150 meters before the goggles and RC crashed/froze. The above post will test my theory as well test DJI’s advertisement of capability.
2019-4-13
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Mike1983 Posted at 4-6 10:57
Well I've not got them back yet so let's wait and see what next next weekend brings!  I'll report back in due course, things sound positive from your experience though.

Hi Mike, How did you go with testing, I’d love to hear the results.
2019-4-13
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Woe Posted at 3-21 18:27
Thanks for sharing this. I just linked my Re's to my zoom a few weeks ago.
I was able to get just under 750m or just under a half mile, disappointed yes.

Hi Woe, Have you managed to send your Goggles in for repair?
2019-4-13
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

KerryG Posted at 3-22 08:42
Install the 5.8 antenna and the issue goes away.

Hi Kerry, Can you please set your drone and goggles up and described in post # 132. And Lao test that setup with the antenna. Thanks in advance.
2019-4-13
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

bjr981s Posted at 3-23 01:52
Hi Mindy,

Would you please confirm that an updated hardware component is available and has been updated on all DJI RE Goggles and shipped with Goggles post Feb 2019?

Have you managed to send both or your REs in for repair?
2019-4-13
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

roamer105 Posted at 3-24 15:25
I am sorry but I don’t buy that response. After using the RE goggles with the smart controller and my M2P all problems are gone and the goggles work just fine. Yet using these goggles with the original controller is a disaster. So, since they work fine with the smart controller logic dictates that the problem must lie with the original controller.

Do you have your smart controller and goggles RE setup as described in post # 132?
2019-4-13
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Mavical Posted at 3-25 18:20
Put me in the same camp with Mike1983….

I was about to send my Goggles RE to DJI as instructed, but then I received a reply to my post (check out post #65) here from someone suggesting if I had a new Smart Controller then I should run a test flight.   

Hi Mavical, Did you have your smart Controller and goggles RE setup as described in post # 132?
2019-4-13
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

fans48b12a43 Posted at 4-3 19:55
Hi Mindy,

I have the same issue. I purchased my goggles in Dec and have been fighting the range and app disconnect issue ever since. The antenna helped a bit but the range is still awful and the app can crash at anytime. I've had both the goggles and the app crash within seconds of one another leaving me RTH as the only option for recovery. I just caught up on all the recent postings and I'm happy to see that DJI is now engaged in resolving this. My case number is CAS-2894952-G2C4Z8.

Have you received your goggles back and have you tested them with your Mavic 2.

Be sure to have your Goggles and Mavic 2 setup as described in post #132.
2019-4-13
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 4-12 22:07
Can you please do me a favor, next time you fly.

Set the Goggles to, under the Wireless Settings page:

I thought you wer setting me up for failure because lm so used to using the pagoda antenna I tried your exact settings and it was the best the goggles have performed I flew out 3.5km and the transmission back to the goggles is the cleanest I've seen it never glitched once I don't think the antenna will go back on and I believe you were right in the  fact that the antenna actually doesn't make things better. A very big Thank You I would not have tried without your push. Thanks again
org_125673ef48504f8b_1555211672000.jpg
org_9191daa49a62fb22_1555211656000.jpg
2019-4-13
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

UNsyncED when you can would you be able to  advise me on what you think and am not trying to smart as. I got so use to using the pagoda I really didn't think there was another option even  DJI are now advising the use of the antenna I'm over welmed with the results and if no for you I  wouldn't have tried it. Even the conditions weren't the best 10/15 knots southerly sports mode on way back 36/40 km the transmission was rock solid no antenna and after that I don't believe the antenna is meant for use with M2P/Z. Like I said you have opened my eyes and Thank You
2019-4-13
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa Posted at 4-13 20:39
I thought you wer setting me up for failure because lm so used to using the pagoda antenna I tried your exact settings and it was the best the goggles have performed I flew out 3.5km and the transmission back to the goggles is the cleanest I've seen it never glitched once I don't think the antenna will go back on and I believe you were right in the  fact that the antenna actually doesn't make things better. A very big Thank You I would not have tried without your push. Thanks again

I’m really glad that it worked for you.

I was expecting it to fail, but am glad that it didn’t.

I wonder why your goggles are now working, when you had issues initially.

And, you’re welcome. Just as I spent 7 months lobbying DJI to have the issue fixed, I’ll spend at least 7 months making sure that everyone has the issue resolved.
BTW, great photos, it looks like a beautiful location. My family are planning on traveling that way in the next months, so I’ll be sure to stop off for a fly.
2019-4-13
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

Thanks for the reply and the only thing that changed from when they were new was 007 firmware wasn't available when I first bought them and was hard to install but because of the initial problem I never stopped using the antenna like you I didn't think it was possible lol that antenna really isn't meant to be used is it ? Thanks again and if you're ever in this neck of the woods your more than welcome. Thanks for the help.
2019-4-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Rfern Posted at 4-12 04:06
DJI MINDY,
And FYI . I called the service center on Wednesday after they were mailed to confirm they were repaired. They told me at first they could not find and issue and then they told me they were repaired?
Mindy, if they have not been repaired when they are returned to me, will you assist me in getting a refund for my goggles? I’m completely exhausted trying to get this corrected and to be truthful have lost all confidence in DJI . I will not purchase anymore products from them due to their lack of professionalism and customer service with a product that they knowingly continue to sell that does not work as advertised after 6 months of fighting just to get an acknowledgement of an issue. I will explore all avenues to get a refund if the issue is not corrected when they are returned to me. I should receive them next Tuesday, according to the tracking # and I will test them ASAP and let everyone here know if they have been corrected or not.

Rfern, I'm totally sorry for what happened and I can understand your frustration, your experience will be escalated to the higher level team to follow up, I do have left the message in the case for the replacement but the repair center tested with no issue found and it was rejected.
The higher level team will look into and contact you soon, sorry again for the trouble caused.
2019-4-14
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

UNsyncED Posted at 4-13 20:07
Hi Woe, Have you managed to send your Goggles in for repair?

I have not. But need to. Give the link again
2019-4-14
Use props
Rfern
First Officer
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-14 03:11
Rfern, I'm totally sorry for what happened and I can understand your frustration, your experience will be escalated to the higher level team to follow up, I do have left the message in the case for the replacement but the repair center tested with no issue found and it was rejected.
The higher level team will look into and contact you soon, sorry again for the trouble caused.

DJI Mindy,
How are they going to look into it if the goggles are in their way back to me?
Thanks
2019-4-14
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Woe Posted at 4-14 04:51
I have not. But need to. Give the link again

Have a look at post #2.  Hopefully it answers your questions.
2019-4-14
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

UNsyncED Posted at 4-14 06:30
Have a look at post #2.  Hopefully it answers your questions.

I'm starting a ticket now. Thanks
2019-4-14
Use props
Airheadbit
lvl.4
United States

UNsyncED Posted at 3-21 17:50
DJI has posted the following post to a different thread.  I do strongly believe that it important for their post to be placed immediately after Post #1.

*DJI's post*

@UNsyncED it's in the detail: DJI seems to lack the ability to write out detailed instructions. The need to go all the way to which direction to turn the antenna while installing it (Clock-wise), your directions on setup to trouble shoot this issue is a start. A nice 'theory of operation' for those that are interested where what are radio waves, how frequency impacts transmission, radio modulation methods and that there is no such thing as 'digital' transmission, it is digitally encoded analog signal transmission using one of many modulation schemes. Note: After my first flight I couldn't believe I had to remove the SD card to get my video off the Mavic 2, google fu found a link talking about page 9 item 11 of the users manual (Zoom/Pro) that shows the port on the side of the Mavic 2  - There is nowhere in that user guide that talks about downloading video, page 38 describes the modes but where you save and how to get video out is left to ones ability to google fu. I tried holding the Mavic 2 to my forehead hoping for a knowledge drain but that didn't work...
2019-4-14
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 4-13 23:11
I’m really glad that it worked for you.

I was expecting it to fail, but am glad that it didn’t.

Just to keep you updated with my testing your settings no antenna today pushed it out to 4.5km turned around because of wind signal rock solid will wait for calm day before I push any further. By the way was going through goggles manual page 10 antenna use pagoda antenna not to be used with 2.4ghz frequency I believe this would include Dual mode. I need slapping this is from today 1km outside Big Island 20 metre altitude
org_8de71003f076b78b_1555294052000.jpg
2019-4-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Rfern Posted at 4-14 04:59
DJI Mindy,
How are they going to look into it if the goggles are in their way back to me?
Thanks

The higher level team will contact you of what to do next, please wait patiently, thank you.
2019-4-14
Use props
YosMavic
Flight distance : 85472 ft
United States

roamer105 Posted at 3-24 15:25
I am sorry but I don’t buy that response. After using the RE goggles with the smart controller and my M2P all problems are gone and the goggles work just fine. Yet using these goggles with the original controller is a disaster. So, since they work fine with the smart controller logic dictates that the problem must lie with the original controller.

I'm using the M2P and the Smart controller. I get between 600 and 1000 feet and the disconnect happens.

My Goggles RE are from September before I left he country for work. Just started flying again and used the goggles last week, read all the forums, tried every setting and it still disconnects.

Horrible.

What settings are you using with your Smart Controller?
2019-4-15
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

YosMavic Posted at 4-15 19:42
I'm using the M2P and the Smart controller. I get between 600 and 1000 feet and the disconnect happens.

My Goggles RE are from September before I left he country for work. Just started flying again and used the goggles last week, read all the forums, tried every setting and it still disconnects.

Hi mate if you go to post 132 by UNsyncED they are the proper settings for use with the m2p/z if that doesn't work you more than likely have a problem . There are other things people have tried like adding the pagoda antenna . And if you go through this thread you will see posts by DJI Mindy with suggestions on what to do with settings good luck. Let us know how you go.
2019-4-15
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-14 23:14
The higher level team will contact you of what to do next, please wait patiently, thank you.

DJI Mindy just a few words to try and help with the RE goggles & m2p/z. I own the goggles and purchased them for my mp1 and never had a problem. From the day i linked them to the mp1 they worked but that was all I had to do. With the m2p/z it's not the same yes they need to be linked naturally but then you have 3 different ways to operate them 1. Dual band 2. 2.4ghz 3. 5.8ghz these settings are in the RC & Goggles if they are both not set to the same frequency I think this could create a lot of the problems we have all had or most of us. The reason I bring this up is today while flying I noticed something wasn't right with the reception to the goggles I bought the M2Z back and when I checked the frequency on the RC it had moved from Dual to 2.4ghz while the goggles were still in Dual band after correcting this everything was good. I think UNsyncED post 132 mentions where all these settings are and they have to be done in Goggles and RC. Hope this helps. Thank you
2019-4-16
Use props
roamer105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3156145 ft
  • >>>
United States

YosMavic Posted at 4-15 19:42

All default (auto) settings with latest firmware on everything. Sounds to me like you may have a bad set of goggles. Is the SC maintaining connection while the goggles loose it? Take a close look at the head-ring to Goggle block connector and check the two SMC (antenna) connectors on both sides. Make sure they are clean (no pins bent) and properly and completely seated.
2019-4-16
Use props
djiuser_1klSRJ1jGyjo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 65135 ft
United States

Well just received refinished unit from DJI and it was manufactured in December of 2018, before the brand new ones that I had just returned.  I am very nervous that this too will have the range issue.  in which case I will be happy to return right back to DJI.  

This is a nightmare.  
2019-4-16
Use props
djiuser_1klSRJ1jGyjo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 65135 ft
United States

UNsyncED Posted at 4-10 23:02
Its sad to hear that the Goggles RE that were manufactured as late as 11th January are having range issues.  

Its also interesting to hear that refurbished goggles are being sold on Amazon.  Are these from DJI direct or a reseller?

There are an endless supply of refurbished units on Amazon from third-party resellers as well as from DJI direct.  Likely because people are returning them due to this range issue.  I'm about to test the refurb that I just received today.  I purchased it from DJI direct after returning the defective unit that I first received with a manufacturing date of January 11th.

The way I see it is I have 14 days to return for a full refund if the unit is defective as the other one was.  
2019-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules