Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI acknowledges Goggles RE design flaw
32518 448 2019-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17439970 ft
Australia

roamer105 Posted at 4-16 07:37
All default (auto) settings with latest firmware on everything. Sounds to me like you may have a bad set of goggles. Is the SC maintaining connection while the goggles loose it? Take a close look at the head-ring to Goggle block connector and check the two SMC (antenna) connectors on both sides. Make sure they are clean (no pins bent) and properly and completely seated.
Hi roamer that's why I posted this my goggles don't have range issue Dual band no antenna 4.5km 1080p no problem . Good luck . Am running latest firmware. 7 and goggles are 5/6 months old .
2019-4-16
Use props
djiuser_1klSRJ1jGyjo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 65135 ft
United States

djiuser_1klSRJ1jGyjo Posted at 4-16 12:15
There are an endless supply of refurbished units on Amazon from third-party resellers as well as from DJI direct.  Likely because people are returning them due to this range issue.  I'm about to test the refurb that I just received today.  I purchased it from DJI direct after returning the defective unit that I first received with a manufacturing date of January 11th.

The way I see it is I have 14 days to return for a full refund if the unit is defective as the other one was.

DJIMindy - second pair of goggles RE with range issue using mavic 2.  Should I try to exchange and hope that I get a more recent version from DJI direct?  I have tried calling tech support about this matter but they have no idea it seems about this issue.

Please let me know how to proceed.

Thanks
2019-4-16
Use props
djiuser_1klSRJ1jGyjo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 65135 ft
United States

djiuser_1klSRJ1jGyjo Posted at 4-16 13:14
DJIMindy - second pair of goggles RE with range issue using mavic 2.  Should I try to exchange and hope that I get a more recent version from DJI direct?  I have tried calling tech support about this matter but they have no idea it seems about this issue.

Please let me know how to proceed.

To add, smart controller loses connection when goggles do, only way to recover connection from smart controller is to shut down the goggles.  
2019-4-16
Use props
YosMavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85472 ft
United States

UNsyncED Posted at 4-12 22:07
Can you please do me a favor, next time you fly.

Set the Goggles to, under the Wireless Settings page:

Tested my goggles with your settings. And it still only made it about 100m before full disconnect.

Also, switched both, the smart controller and the goggles to 2.4. they made it about 300 meters before disconnect.

I didn't bring a pagoda antenna with me, but I'm sure the issue will persist. I'll test it when I get home Saturday.

My Goggles were bought in September, so I'm sure they are completely useless.
2019-4-16
Use props
Mesquita
lvl.1
Brazil

Hello, I'm from Brazil, I own a Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual, and I got a Goggles Re, to my surprise I discovered that they are not compatives by the goggles based on the DJI Go 4 and drone on the DJI Pilot, I wonder if there is soul forecast of update, otherwise I will return the glasses
2019-4-16
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Flight distance : 1083392 ft
Australia

djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa Posted at 4-16 06:25
DJI Mindy just a few words to try and help with the RE goggles & m2p/z. I own the goggles and purchased them for my mp1 and never had a problem. From the day i linked them to the mp1 they worked but that was all I had to do. With the m2p/z it's not the same yes they need to be linked naturally but then you have 3 different ways to operate them 1. Dual band 2. 2.4ghz 3. 5.8ghz these settings are in the RC & Goggles if they are both not set to the same frequency I think this could create a lot of the problems we have all had or most of us. The reason I bring this up is today while flying I noticed something wasn't right with the reception to the goggles I bought the M2Z back and when I checked the frequency on the RC it had moved from Dual to 2.4ghz while the goggles were still in Dual band after correcting this everything was good. I think UNsyncED post 132 mentions where all these settings are and they have to be done in Goggles and RC. Hope this helps. Thank you

When you went out flying today and the RC changed to 2.4GHz (without your intervention), did your goggles and RC freeze/crash and how far did you travel before this issue occurred?
2019-4-16
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_1klSRJ1jGyjo Posted at 4-16 12:15
There are an endless supply of refurbished units on Amazon from third-party resellers as well as from DJI direct.  Likely because people are returning them due to this range issue.  I'm about to test the refurb that I just received today.  I purchased it from DJI direct after returning the defective unit that I first received with a manufacturing date of January 11th.

The way I see it is I have 14 days to return for a full refund if the unit is defective as the other one was.

Maybe I should ask DJI for a refund, up to the "Refurbished" price ;-)

I feel your frustration and understand your hesitate in sending in your goggles to a repair center, rather than having a 14 day no questions asked refund/warranty.  I hope that @DJI Mindy is able to help you.
Please keep me up to date with your progress and decisions.
2019-4-16
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

YosMavic Posted at 4-16 15:14
Tested my goggles with your settings. And it still only made it about 100m before full disconnect.

Also, switched both, the smart controller and the goggles to 2.4. they made it about 300 meters before disconnect.

Ok, its good to know (or bad, depending on how you look at it), which means that your goggles DEFINITELY have an issue.
Have you raised a Repair case with DJI?  Be sure to keep @DJI Mindy in the loop, with Case #, etc.

Best of luck.
2019-4-16
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 4-16 20:01
When you went out flying today and the RC changed to 2.4GHz (without your intervention), did your goggles and RC freeze/crash and how far did you travel before this issue occurred?
No they didn't I just noticed the reception wasn't as good . I flew back and what I Thought was right the remote had changed settings and I have seen this before that's why I thought it was worth mentioning. Good luck UNsyncED.Keep up the good work .I was about 2km out when I noticed and turned around.
2019-4-16
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 4-16 20:10
Ok, its good to know (or bad, depending on how you look at it), which means that your goggles DEFINITELY have an issue.
Have you raised a Repair case with DJI?  Be sure to keep @DJI Mindy in the loop, with Case #, etc.

Just curious all your testing has gone well for you no more problems
2019-4-16
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa Posted at 4-16 22:27
Just curious all your testing has gone well for you no more problems

I haven’t had as much opportunity to test the goggles as much as I’d like, but the testing that I’ve done I’ve been happy.
I’ll also check to see if my RC changes settings.
2019-4-16
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 4-16 22:33
I haven’t had as much opportunity to test the goggles as much as I’d like, but the testing that I’ve done I’ve been happy.

That's not the first time I've seen that but as long as I make sure it's right when I set up it doesn't change but I know it pays to check I'm keen now to try out 2.4/5.8 with and without antenna
2019-4-16
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

Does anyone know what DJI'S recomended settings for RE goggles and M2Z/P are or where they can be found?  I believe my goggles are working but would like to know what I should expect when set to 2.4 & 5.8ghz and whether I should be using the pagoda antenna . Any thoughts on this are welcome. If DJI could help with this it would be even better. Thank You.
2019-4-17
Use props
YosMavic
lvl.2
United States

UNsyncED Posted at 4-16 20:10

They are indeed bad.

Powering down the goggles reconnects the Smart Controller and I can continue to fly.

I've now gone through all the different test and settings now. I can't get them more than 300m. I flew over water today just make sure there was no obstruction from houses or trees. Scary knowing that it would disconnect over water and I may lose the drone. But powered down the goggles and pressed the dedicated RTH on the Smart Controller and the M2P came back immediately.

I'm opening a case. I hope the replacement of the core board fixes this because they are unusable and make flying my M2P unsafe.
2019-4-17
Use props
YosMavic
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-22 00:40
For anyone who visits this thread, please refer the post in 2# if you have the issues that Mavic 2 loses its image transmission signal after flying a few hundred meters away with the Goggles RE turned on, thank you.

Hi @DJI Mindy,

I opened a case for the repair of my Google's RE.

Case# CAS-2941603-J4Y1K0

Using the Goggles with my Mavic 2 Pro and the Smart Controller combo.

Tested the connection using the Dual Auto connections with HD transmission. Tested doing 2.4 only and 5.8 only.

In all case I get anywhere between 100-300m before the Goggles and Smart Controller disconnect.

Powering off the Goggles restores the connection between the Smart Controller and the Mavic 2 Pro.

I was just sent a shipping label. Do I have to ship them back in the original box. Or does it not matter. I have the original box, it's not a problem. Just checking.
2019-4-17
Use props
Rfern
First Officer
Flight distance : 482805 ft
United States

Unsynced,
I tested my goggles today after they returned from “repair” and used your settings without antenna. I was only able to reach about 8-900 meters before it became choppy and start to disconnect. I tested on normal and HD mode , same results. Should I try the same again and add antenna? Also been in contact with DJI “Higher Team “ daily so I’ll see what they say tonight when they call. Just figured I would console you first since you seem to  know more about their product than they do . Thanks again
2019-4-17
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Rfern Posted at 4-17 10:03
Unsynced,
I tested my goggles today after they returned from “repair” and used your settings without antenna. I was only able to reach about 8-900 meters before it became choppy and start to disconnect. I tested on normal and HD mode , same results. Should I try the same again and add antenna? Also been in contact with DJI “Higher Team “ daily so I’ll see what they say tonight when they call. Just figured I would console you first since you seem to  know more about their product than they do . Thanks again

Does it seem that DJI has done any work on your goggles? Were your goggles choppy in reception previously, or was it crashing/freezing and would return connection until the goggles were turned off?
2019-4-17
Use props
Rfern
First Officer
Flight distance : 482805 ft
United States

UNsyncED Posted at 4-17 14:28
Does it seem that DJI has done any work on your goggles? Were your goggles choppy in reception previously, or was it crashing/freezing and would return connection until the goggles were turned off?

I tested them again , with and without the antenna. Same results. Seems as if they are the same, very choppy after about 600 meters and if I push it , they disconnect until I shut them off and all is good. I’m pretty certain they did not do anything to them.
On a lighter note, I spoke with DJI this evening and they are replacing them. They seem very adamant on satisfying this issue. Let’s just hope they are replaced with something that works.
2019-4-17
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Rfern Posted at 4-17 15:22
I tested them again , with and without the antenna. Same results. Seems as if they are the same, very choppy after about 600 meters and if I push it , they disconnect until I shut them off and all is good. I’m pretty certain they did not do anything to them.
On a lighter note, I spoke with DJI this evening and they are replacing them. They seem very adamant on satisfying this issue. Let’s just hope they are replaced with something that works.

That’s good news and a great outcome.

Please keep me up to date with receiving and testing the replacement goggles.
2019-4-17
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 4-17 15:40
That’s good news and a great outcome.

Please keep me up to date with receiving and testing the replacement goggles.

Well testing is done the goggles give exceptional distance on all 3 settings Dual band, 2.4ghz & 5.8ghz the antenna really is not needed minimum distance was 4.5km and there was no reason not to go further on all 3 frequencies good luck and safe flying.
2019-4-17
Use props
Damager
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9052 ft
United States

I had ordered a pair of "Used but like New" Goggles RE from Amazon just before I read this whole thread, so I was freaking out.  I received them today, was able to update firmware via DJI Assistant 2, and pair with my Mavic 2 Zoom.  Will try range test tomorrow.  Hopefully it goes OK.
2019-4-17
Use props
Mike1983
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi all.
Just a quick update from my side, things are very busy for me at the moment so I've not had a chance to do much with my repaired unit.  I did do a brief test the other day in non-ideal conditions and I still saw some performance issues so I'm worrying that the issue is not fixed for me.  The weather is picking up here now and I'm hoping to go to a big open area at the weekend to do a test in perfect conditions.  Will report back.
2019-4-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

YosMavic Posted at 4-17 07:42
Hi @DJI Mindy,

I opened a case for the repair of my Google's RE.

Hi YosMavic, please send in with the original box, I will keep an eye on your case.
2019-4-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa Posted at 4-16 06:25
DJI Mindy just a few words to try and help with the RE goggles & m2p/z. I own the goggles and purchased them for my mp1 and never had a problem. From the day i linked them to the mp1 they worked but that was all I had to do. With the m2p/z it's not the same yes they need to be linked naturally but then you have 3 different ways to operate them 1. Dual band 2. 2.4ghz 3. 5.8ghz these settings are in the RC & Goggles if they are both not set to the same frequency I think this could create a lot of the problems we have all had or most of us. The reason I bring this up is today while flying I noticed something wasn't right with the reception to the goggles I bought the M2Z back and when I checked the frequency on the RC it had moved from Dual to 2.4ghz while the goggles were still in Dual band after correcting this everything was good. I think UNsyncED post 132 mentions where all these settings are and they have to be done in Goggles and RC. Hope this helps. Thank you

Hi there, much appreciate your feedback, which will be transferred to our engineers for attention. Please let us know if you have any other suggestion.
2019-4-18
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-18 01:05
Hi YosMavic, please send in with the original box, I will keep an eye on your case.

I don't understand what's going on?? I have a Brand New! Never Opened RE Goggles and for "peace of mind" don't want this hasle! can they be exchanged for updated ones or do I have to take DJI to small claims court? They where purchased just 5 months ago and Never opened them when I heard about this range issue and because of the cold weather I have been in no rush. I have a Mavic 2 Pro and don't feel like testing them knowing there has been an issue that has Now been resloved with the new units. So yes I want a new unit and when I feel like I have been scammed... I suffer big time!

2019-4-18
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-18 01:13
Hi there, much appreciate your feedback, which will be transferred to our engineers for attention. Please let us know if you have any other suggestion.

I want a new updated RE Googles please. I feel like I have been scammed! I haven't even opened up the shipping box I got them in!  I have been following this Range problem for months now and wasn't about to risk my Mavic 2 Pro with some design flaw that has now been fixed.
2019-4-18
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

can someone please tell me what's going on? Do I now have to open up my Brand New in Box RE Goggles and then have them repaired?  why should I have to test them when we all know the new ones shipping now work? So are they all bad or what?
2019-4-18
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

Mate I bought mine 5/6 months ago and they work fine. There are no 100% guarantees with anything I do not believe DJI is trying to scam anybody and if you are not prepared to try them then just get a refund and then you will not have to do anything because if you do change them you will have to test them anyway. Your lucky others have done a lot of work and put alot of time into this for people like you
2019-4-18
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa Posted at 4-18 18:23
Mate I bought mine 5/6 months ago and they work fine. There are no 100% guarantees with anything I do not believe DJI is trying to scam anybody and if you are not prepared to try them then just get a refund and then you will not have to do anything because if you do change them you will have to test them anyway. Your lucky others have done a lot of work and put alot of time into this for people like you

i hear you but I got the RE Goggles at a good price on eBay with a special coupon that I could of used on another eBay purchase.  So a refund would be a pain then I would have to pay a lot more for a new ones. So I wonder what percentage has this Flaw? like 50% for units made before Feb '19 ?  
2019-4-18
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

Assuming you have a problem is a waist of your time and everyone else when you try them you will know hopefully they will be ok and you will enjoy them as much as I am. Safe flying
2019-4-18
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

bobsma Posted at 4-18 19:12
i hear you but I got the RE Goggles at a good price on eBay with a special coupon that I could of used on another eBay purchase.  So a refund would be a pain then I would have to pay a lot more for a new ones. So I wonder what percentage has this Flaw? like 50% for units made before Feb '19 ?

I am the person who suggested that goggles from February 2019 are functional, but DJI have not made this statement.

There is no indication what date “good” goggles were made from. It maybe that a percentage of all production, over the entire duration of manufacturing (from November 2017), are functional or faulty. I can’t see DJI replacing goggles which maybe functional.

Best of luck!  @DJI Mindy

2019-4-18
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

UNsyncED all is good with the flying and have you tried the 5.8ghz frequency just curious? One other thing I noticed was I changed frequency with the goggles while flying it didn't change in the RC until I opened up the settings in the RC and then it flicked overto the same setting just something to be cautious about.
2019-4-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

bobsma Posted at 4-18 17:47
I want a new updated RE Googles please. I feel like I have been scammed! I haven't even opened up the shipping box I got them in!  I have been following this Range problem for months now and wasn't about to risk my Mavic 2 Pro with some design flaw that has now been fixed.

Hi bobsma, we are not trying to scam our customers, the range issue doesn't happen to each Goggles RE. And this is never the experience we want our customers to have with our products.
Our engineers are working on locating the problem, the reason why it takes time to locate the problem is that we need more devices to be shipped back to China for analysis, before this, we will be responsible for it if you have the same issue.
Please open the box and tests its performance and keep me updated if there is any problem.
2019-4-19
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-19 01:52
Hi bobsma, we are not trying to scam our customers, the range issue doesn't happen to each Goggles RE. And this is never the experience we want our customers to have with our products.
Our engineers are working on locating the problem, the reason why it takes time to locate the problem is that we need more devices to be shipped back to China for analysis, before this, we will be responsible for it if you have the same issue.
Please open the box and tests its performance and keep me updated if there is any problem.

thank you very much. I will open them soon.
2019-4-19
Use props
Gene2
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-19 01:52
Our engineers are working on locating the problem, the reason why it takes time to locate the problem is that we need more devices to be shipped back to China for analysis, before this, we will be responsible for it if you have the same issue.

Hello Mindy,

You've been helpful by facilitating the return of defective units and apparently some returned units have been working - so that's  great and no one wants you to stop helping.  

It's frustrating because we understand that the source of returned units are unlikely to be just from this thread but also from the many reputable sellers that allow returns.  I would've expected quality control to have access to field complaint categories and associate them with serial numbers and release dates by now.
2019-4-19
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

fans48b12a43 Posted at 4-3 19:55
Hi Mindy,

I have the same issue. I purchased my goggles in Dec and have been fighting the range and app disconnect issue ever since. The antenna helped a bit but the range is still awful and the app can crash at anytime. I've had both the goggles and the app crash within seconds of one another leaving me RTH as the only option for recovery. I just caught up on all the recent postings and I'm happy to see that DJI is now engaged in resolving this. My case number is CAS-2894952-G2C4Z8.

Have you received your Goggles back from DJI and are they functioning as expected?
2019-4-19
Use props
YosMavic
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-18 01:05

@DJI Mindy,

Do we return the Goggles with all the manuals and cables and such, or just the Goggles and the original box?

For those of you that sent back the Goggles for repair, did you just sent the Goggles, or all the cables, manuals, charger, etc?
2019-4-20
Use props
Kingii
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1983783 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

UNsyncED Posted at 4-12 22:07
Can you please do me a favor, next time you fly.

Set the Goggles to, under the Wireless Settings page:

Just to add some positive news to this topic.
Flew my Mavic 2 Pro with a pair of Goggles Re today with the settings you recommend.
Could reach the 3km distance without any issues. Manufactory date of the goggles is august 2018.

Regards, Max.

2019-4-20
Use props
Damager
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9052 ft
United States

Dammit - I have the same range problem.

My new goggles updated firmware flawlessly, linked to my M2Z flawlessly, but when I tested them for the first time today (I used the settings from post 132), at maybe 200 yards the image froze, turned black and white, and I could no longer control the drone with the remote until I shut the goggles off.  

Is this an issue that requires sending in for repair?
2019-4-20
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Damager Posted at 4-20 17:37
Dammit - I have the same range problem.

My new goggles updated firmware flawlessly, linked to my M2Z flawlessly, but when I tested them for the first time today (I used the settings from post 132), at maybe 200 yards the image froze, turned black and white, and I could no longer control the drone with the remote until I shut the goggles off.  

Sadly, yes.
2019-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules