Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI acknowledges Goggles RE design flaw
32512 448 2019-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

YosMavic Posted at 4-20 06:12
@DJI Mindy,

Do we return the Goggles with all the manuals and cables and such, or just the Goggles and the original box?

You can just send in the Goggles RE and the original box.
2019-4-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

bobsma Posted at 4-19 02:49
thank you very much. I will open them soon.

Thanks for your understanding, please let us know if there is any problem.
2019-4-21
Use props
Damager
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9052 ft
United States

Mine is now on the way in for Service.  Man - nothing takes the joy of a new toy faster than having to send it in for repair right out of the box.  
2019-4-22
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Flight distance : 1083392 ft
Australia

Damager Posted at 4-22 17:12
Mine is now on the way in for Service.  Man - nothing takes the joy of a new toy faster than having to send it in for repair right out of the box.

Be sure to give @DJI Mindy your Case #
2019-4-23
Use props
Damager
Second Officer
Canada

Will do.  Mindy @DJI Mindy - should I post here or in a PM?
2019-4-23
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

I’m sorry @DJI Mindy and community. I have some bad news.

I went out for a fly today, where I was safely able to fly for a long range flight. I was using the Mavic 2 Pro, Goggles RE and my iPhone 6 Plus in the RC. The settings were those started in Post #132.

I started heading out at 120 meters, so I had the best chance of having clear reception for the entire flight. At the 850 meter mark the Goggles and RC started breaking up with intermittent video reception. The Video and RC reception both had 4 bars, which was similar to my previous flight, but I didn’t think anything of it, as shown in my post with a video (Post #50). I then thought that I’d experiment with turning off the goggles, and to my surprise, the video image on the RC became crystal clear. I was then able to flight just beyond 2500 meter, before I decided to turn around.

I would like to add, that this is a different problem than the one that I experienced originally, that being both RC and Goggles Crashing/Freezing. I have heard others describing the experience that I’ve explained in this post earlier, today, in the thread.  It seems that there are two issues.

Unfortunately it seems that the replacement/repair of the goggles have been unsuccessful.

Mindy, how do you suggest that I proceed? I look forward to your feedback. Thanks in advance.

2019-4-23
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17439970 ft
Australia

Kingii Posted at 4-20 07:10
Just to add some positive news to this topic.
Flew my Mavic 2 Pro with a pair of Goggles Re today with the settings you recommend.
Could reach the 3km distance without any issues. Manufactory date of the goggles is august 2018.

Nice to hear some positive feedback
2019-4-24
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 4-23 19:47

I went out for a fly today, where I was safely able to fly for a long range flight. I was using the Mavic 2 Pro, Goggles RE and my iPhone 6 Plus in the RC. The settings were those started in Post #132.

Sorry to hear that UNsyncED I was under the impression that you had already trialled the goggles distance hope you sort it out but I think DJI are working backwards with this if they were looking at the people not having problems they would be able to identify the cause of this alot quicker just a thought. Good luck
2019-4-24
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa Posted at 4-24 05:26
Sorry to hear that UNsyncED I was under the impression that you had already trialled the goggles distance hope you sort it out but I think DJI are working backwards with this if they were looking at the people not having problems they would be able to identify the cause of this alot quicker just a thought. Good luck

I tested to that distance, and thought that it was RF interference. I was wrong. I wonder how everyone else has gone with their replacement goggles. Hmmm...
2019-4-24
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 4-24 17:15
I tested to that distance, and thought that it was RF interference. I was wrong. I wonder how everyone else has gone with their replacement goggles. Hmmm...

Just something else I use the side port on the RC my son did that after my first session with the m2p/z and goggles and I've used it ever since and have never had a problem might be worth a try. Just trying to help.
2019-4-25
Use props
Rfern
First Officer
Flight distance : 482805 ft
United States

UNsyncED Posted at 4-24 17:15

Mine have been sent in to be replaced. They should be receiving mine today , which means I probably won’t receive my replacement goggles for about another week or so. I will keep you posted on the outcome of my test flight but my expectations are extremely low based on what you’ve experienced already. DJI should just start issuing refunds and stop advertising them until they have their act together. I’ll let you know
2019-4-25
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa Posted at 4-25 03:21
Just something else I use the side port on the RC my son did that after my first session with the m2p/z and goggles and I've used it ever since and have never had a problem might be worth a try. Just trying to help.

Ok, so you've been managing long distances without breakup by using a USB cable?

I thought that you were using your Goggles and RC independently.

Can you please confirm?
2019-4-25
Use props
Airheadbit
lvl.4
United States

UNsyncED Posted at 4-25 15:32
Ok, so you've been managing long distances without breakup by using a USB cable?

I can only hope that some time soon, DJI posts a flow chart with all the different drones, Remote Controllers, Displays, and Phone OS (Apple/Android) with how to setup the controller, drone and goggles and what is expected from the test.

I can only hope....  
2019-4-25
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 4-25 15:32

I'm connecting phone to RC via the side port not the bottom.
2019-4-25
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa Posted at 4-25 20:30
I'm connecting phone to RC via the side port not the bottom.

are you connecting the goggles to the USB?
2019-4-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

UNsyncED Posted at 4-23 19:47

Hi UNsyncED, how many times did this situation happen? I was wondering whether it happened by accident, any chance to make more tests?
2019-4-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Damager Posted at 4-23 10:16
Will do.  Mindy @DJI Mindy - should I post here or in a PM?

Hi Damager, I have replied your PM, please check, thank you.
2019-4-26
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-26 02:21
Hi UNsyncED, how many times did this situation happen? I was wondering whether it happened by accident, any chance to make more tests?

Hi Mindy,

I've tested it twice at this point in time, and both times it failed at ~1km.  I'll keep on testing.

Thanks.
2019-4-26
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 4-26 00:04
are you connecting the goggles to the USB?

No I'm not.  Sorry for late reply. Just got back from flying both mp1 & m2z with goggles just to see how they handle switching between the two was a bit noisy with radio chatter shipping and small boats but everything was fine got glitchy at times but would always clear itself 3-4km and my altitude never more than RTH 35 metres. Are you  using the side port on your RC for the phone.
2019-4-26
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

A video showing the know issue.
Feel Free to skip to 1:50.

2019-4-28
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

UNsyncED Posted at 4-28 03:46

The distance your getting is slightly better but still doesn't look like

it been completely fixed. This is very troubling.
2019-4-28
Use props
Airheadbit
lvl.4
United States

For testing it maybe better to take a drive into a rural area where there is no microwave, cellular and radio   (commercial and amateur) towers.
Why a height of 73 meters?  We can do 121.91 meters which would allow a better signal. Have you looked at the ground altitude from where your at to where the drone flew on Google Earth? You can see obstructions if there are any, I use it for mapping line of sight laser measurements and radio signals.
2019-4-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I thank you for the heads up, also bringing all this to the attention of dji for all members concerned. I don’t use goggles, so yes it’s not affecting me, but I fully understand the plight of others who paid out their hard earned money for a sub standard product, I’m not sure how this will play out, but it’s going on to long to continuously have the issues ignored.

I’m not sure you can do much more, so hopefully dji come up with something very soon.
Good luck .
2019-4-28
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Airheadbit Posted at 4-28 07:49
For testing it maybe better to take a drive into a rural area where there is no microwave, cellular and radio   (commercial and amateur) towers.
Why a height of 73 meters?  We can do 121.91 meters which would allow a better signal. Have you looked at the ground altitude from where your at to where the drone flew on Google Earth? You can see obstructions if there are any, I use it for mapping line of sight laser measurements and radio signals.

Hi Airheadbit,

The video was showing how the Goggles RE made the M2 RC crash/lose signal.  It wasn't about distance which the Drone could travel.

I hope that this clarifies the purpose of the video.
2019-4-28
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 4-28 21:14
Hi Airheadbit,

The video was showing how the Goggles RE made the M2 RC crash/lose signal.  It wasn't about distance which the Drone could travel.

Not good and this has gone on way too long I don't think they no where the problem is. Was this with the new update for Dual control there's speculation that this helps.
2019-4-28
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Airheadbit Posted at 4-28 07:49
Why a height of 73 meters?  We can do 121.91 meters which would allow a better signal. Have you looked at the ground altitude from where your at to where the drone flew on Google Earth? You can see obstructions if there are any, I use it for mapping line of sight laser measurements and radio signals.

I forgot to mention in my reply ... DJI have been saying that they have been unable to replicate the issue. No-one at this point in time has created a video of the issue.  This is why I've posted the video.  That way when DJI say that they are unable to replicate the issue, we can point them to the video.

I hope that this is clear.
2019-4-28
Use props
JohnnyMac41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5607 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow.  I’ve been off the he forum for several months during the winter and came back to see what progress had been made on this issue.

I have a Mavic 2 Zoom that works normally with the RC, and a set of RE Goggles that I bought in October 2018 that I’ve never used, just taken out of the box and charged, along with updating the firmware.

I’ve followed these threads thinking it was a matter of time before DJI got this corrected. I’m afraid to even try my goggles, as I do not want to risk my Mavic 2 Zoom in any way. It cost too much.

On Page 4 or so of this thread, it appeared that sending in the RE goggles would correct the issue. Now, after watching the video and getting to the end of this thread, I’m uncertain what to do.

I suppose I need to try mine to see if they, too, have the issue.

I just wish more folks that bought the RE/Mavic 2 Zoom pairing chimed in, ones that did not have any issues, to see if it is ALL of us, or just SOME of us, or just those of us that have the issue that also participate in this forum.  More success/no issue examples, to clarify.

I guess I’ll try mine, if they have the issue send them in and notify Mindy with the case number, and see what happens. I really want the goggles to work, like we all do, but it’s not worth it to risk a $1300 drone to use goggles that cost less than half of that is my unfortunate position at the moment.
2019-4-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Thank you for the video, I will forward it to our engineers for analysis, if there is any update, I will let you know.
2019-4-30
Use props
Damager
Second Officer
United States

JohnnyMac41 Posted at 4-30 00:39
Wow.  I’ve been off the he forum for several months during the winter and came back to see what progress had been made on this issue.

I have a Mavic 2 Zoom that works normally with the RC, and a set of RE Goggles that I bought in October 2018 that I’ve never used, just taken out of the box and charged, along with updating the firmware.

Just keep in mind that if you have the same freezing issue that I and others are having, all you need to do to recover is take off the Goggles, and power them off.  You will then regain remote control and be fine.  
2019-4-30
Use props
djiuser_1klSRJ1jGyjo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 65135 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-30 00:55
Thank you for the video, I will forward it to our engineers for analysis, if there is any update, I will let you know.

He certainly got much better range than I did.  Mine it doesn't get past 500 m
2019-4-30
Use props
YosMavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85472 ft
United States

djiuser_1klSRJ1jGyjo Posted at 4-30 10:12

Mine never got past 200m. Over water with no obstruction.

With no goggles in the same location the M2P went 5000m before my battery level initiated the RTH.

Yes, powering down the Goggles restores the connection to the AC. Don't freak out  when it loses its connection.
2019-4-30
Use props
YosMavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85472 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-21 02:56
You can just send in the Goggles RE and the original box.

Thank you @DJI Mindy

Got the notification from DJI today that my Goggles will be repaired under warranty.

Looking forward to the fix. Hopefully.
2019-4-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_1klSRJ1jGyjo Posted at 4-30 10:12

Sorry for this, just to verify, you had mounted the 5.8G antenna on the Goggles RE and tried both 2.4G and 5.8G frequency bands, right? If so, please kindly send in the Goggles RE.  Please contact our support at http://www.dji.com/support to start a case.
2019-5-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

YosMavic Posted at 4-30 13:12
Thank you @DJI Mindy

Got the notification from DJI today that my Goggles will be repaired under warranty.

Thanks for your update, hope you'll get it back soon.
2019-5-1
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-30 00:55

Hi Mindy,

I've just sent off my Goggles to the Australian Service Center.  Are you able to ask them to test the Goggles in 1080, upto the range that I've shown in my video.  If they are able to provide a video, it would be appreciated.

CAS-2998445-J0X8Q0
Many thanks.

2019-5-1
Use props
Damager
Second Officer
United States

I got a message from the repair center on my googles.  It said "repair under warranty - no charge" and said they would be on their way back to me in 3-5 days.  Then at the bottom, the note written by the tech said "Unit Tested.  No issues noted".  

I'm very hopeful that this means a repair was completed and the resulting testing passed, not that they think the goggles were working fine when they got them.  I'll update when they arrive.
2019-5-2
Use props
Kilrah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1733612 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Sounds more lile the latter.

Note that a bunch of people including me who were having the problem had it disappear with the latest 0400 M2 firmware that  adds dual remote support, suggesting as some had suspected it possibly could be a
software issue somehow linked to the lack of dual remote feature (the goggles are considered as a kind of second remote in the system). So upgrade and retest before sending anything...
2019-5-2
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Kilrah Posted at 5-2 22:33
Sounds more lile the latter.

Note that a bunch of people including me who were having the problem had it disappear with the latest 0400 M2 firmware that  adds dual remote support, suggesting as some had suspected it possibly could be a

If you don't mind me asking, where have people been discussing the issue disappearing?  I know that people with the smart controller are still having the issue (see post #21 for example, not all but some).
2019-5-3
Use props
Kilrah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1733612 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

I haven't seen one place with a group discussion, just several individual reports in different places.
2019-5-3
Use props
Damager
Second Officer
United States

What about this 6 page conversation?  
2019-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules