Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI acknowledges Goggles RE design flaw
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
byhead
lvl.4
United States

Damager Posted at 5-3 14:39
What about this 6 page conversation?

byhead here. I too had this range prob disapprear after UPGRADE latest FW via ASS2 latest
to M2P 0400, GOG RE to v 0700 running go4 on IPHONE 8 latest on GO4 4.3.12
and I get great range.  On 4-23-19    [4.3.16 is out, loading it tonight 5-3-19]

I AGREE, THE DUAL MODE FIX UNDER .0400 IS THE DEALEO!!!!  So i don't believe they need REPAIR

gosh how i wish the posters would NAME THEIR FIRMWARE AND GO4 AND PHONE TYPE OR SC.

Come on now Mindy, what do you think now???
2019-5-3
Use props
Damager
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9052 ft
United States

What was the date of this latest firmware release (approximately)?  
2019-5-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

UNsyncED Posted at 5-1 22:39
Hi Mindy,

I've just sent off my Goggles to the Australian Service Center.  Are you able to ask them to test the Goggles in 1080, upto the range that I've shown in my video.  If they are able to provide a video, it would be appreciated.

I see our manager from the Customer Care Team has handled your case, I will take a note in the case and follow up.
2019-5-3
Use props
Kilrah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1733612 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Damager Posted at 5-3 18:08
What was the date of this latest firmware release (approximately)?

It came out about 2 weeks ago, on the 17th as per release notes, maybe a couple of days later in practice.
2019-5-3
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Flight distance : 1083392 ft
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-3 18:08
I see our manager from the Customer Care Team has handled your case, I will take a note in the case and follow up.

I've also left my SD card in the Goggles.  Can you please make note in my case file, as I don't want to lose it.  Many thanks.
2019-5-3
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

byhead Posted at 5-3 17:59
byhead here. I too had this range prob disapprear after UPGRADE latest FW via ASS2 latest
to M2P 0400, GOG RE to v 0700 running go4 on IPHONE 8 latest on GO4 4.3.12
and I get great range.  On 4-23-19    [4.3.16 is out, loading it tonight 5-3-19]

Hi. I noticed that your original post wasn't responded to.  You were asking about DJI honouring your warranty if you purchased your goggles from a third party.  Did you hold onto your goggles, and not send them in for repair? Did you manage to take your goggles out with your M2 and not have them crash/freeze? Did you have the settings as shown on post #132? How far did you manage to travel? Sorry for all of the questions.
2019-5-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

UNsyncED Posted at 5-3 23:05
I've also left my SD card in the Goggles.  Can you please make note in my case file, as I don't want to lose it.  Many thanks.

Sure, I will inform the team, just to verify another thing, did you test it with the Pagoda Antenna attached?
2019-5-4
Use props
Rfern
First Officer
Flight distance : 482805 ft
United States

FYI , Everyone,
I should receive my replacement goggles tomorrow. Without getting too technical, I will test them ASAP to see if the issue has been resolved, for those of you who are keeping score , anyways.
2019-5-5
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-4 22:35
Sure, I will inform the team, just to verify another thing, did you test it with the Pagoda Antenna attached?

Hi Mindy, Yes it was tested. Thanks for asking.
2019-5-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Rfern Posted at 5-5 09:15
FYI , Everyone,
I should receive my replacement goggles tomorrow. Without getting too technical, I will test them ASAP to see if the issue has been resolved, for those of you who are keeping score , anyways.

Hi Rfern, please make sure all the firmware has been updated to the latest version before the test. Besides, please attach the Pagoda antenna properly and test if it remains in 2.4G and 5.8G.
2019-5-6
Use props
JuJuMP2_User
lvl.3
United Kingdom

to M2P 0400, GOG RE to v 0700 running go4 on IPHONE 8 latest on GO4 4.3.12
and I get great range.  On 4-23-19    [4.3.16 is out, loading it tonight 5-3-19]

I hope you’re right Mr ByHead.I’m updating all my firmwares and doing a range check.
I purchased the Goggles RE in Hong Kong but live in UK, so the prospect of returning them for warranty repair or refund is just going to end in tears.

2019-5-6
Use props
Damager
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9052 ft
United States

I'll be getting mine back on Thursday this week and will test as well.
2019-5-6
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

so what's the Joke? is it a hardware issue? software/firmware issue? or a combination of both!! I am sure glad I waited until now before opening my Brand New in Box DJI RE Goggles that I will now gladly open now that the Beta testing period is over!

I will report back if I have any range issues. The goggles and my hardware have all the latest Software and Firmware updates.
2019-5-6
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

to M2P 0400, GOG RE to v 0700 running go4 on IPHONE 8 latest on GO4 4.3.12
and I get great range.  On 4-23-19    [4.3.16 is out, loading it tonight 5-3-19]

so why did DJI have them sent in for repair if it's just a firmware update that resovles the range issue??
2019-5-6
Use props
Rfern
First Officer
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-6 00:39
Hi Rfern, please make sure all the firmware has been updated to the latest version before the test. Besides, please attach the Pagoda antenna properly and test if it remains in 2.4G and 5.8G.

New goggles have been received. All firmware is updated. Im aiming for tomorrow morning to test them but the weather here in NY has been dismal to say the least. I will post after I test them wether it be tomorrow or the next. Hope for the best
2019-5-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Rfern Posted at 5-6 19:20
New goggles have been received. All firmware is updated. Im aiming for tomorrow morning to test them but the weather here in NY has been dismal to say the least. I will post after I test them wether it be tomorrow or the next. Hope for the best

Thank you, looking forward to your update.
2019-5-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

bobsma Posted at 5-6 12:28
so why did DJI have them sent in for repair if it's just a firmware update that resovles the range issue??

Hi bobsma, we are still locating the problem, we've tested many devices that customer sent in and all worked fine. We are wondering if the pagoda antenna was not installed properly by the customers, if you have any feedback, please feel free to let us know.
2019-5-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Damager Posted at 5-6 06:27
I'll be getting mine back on Thursday this week and will test as well.

Great, please don't forget to install the pagoda antenna properly.
2019-5-8
Use props
Kilrah
lvl.4
  • >>>
Switzerland

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-8 01:50
Hi bobsma, we are still locating the problem, we've tested many devices that customer sent in and all worked fine. We are wondering if the pagoda antenna was not installed properly by the customers, if you have any feedback, please feel free to let us know.

When I had the problem it didn't matter whether the antenna was on or not.

Did you make sure to test customer units with aircraft/remotes that were on the normal public firmware and not an engineering release?
2019-5-8
Use props
Airheadbit
lvl.4
United States

This "we are still locating the problem" should have been resolved by now. Without knowing the customer environment ie: Firmware of 'Camera', RC, Phone type, OS version, APP version, Goggle DOM/Serial #/Firmware Version, and where the 'Camera' was flown for testing as in 'Wide Open Flat Area' or 'Obstruction Ladden Populated Area', the Altitude of the 'Camera' during the testing and the topology of possible interference as in download an app to locate: Broadcast, Cellular, Microwave towers I can imagine your technicians are not duplicating the problem.
I can hope that this information was PM to you.
2019-5-8
Use props
Rfern
First Officer
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-8 01:51

DJI Mindy,                                                                             “Install the pagoda antenna properly”? Is there a way to install it wrong? I mean how do you install it incorrectly? You screw it on. Could you please elaborate on how to do it correctly?
Thanks
2019-5-8
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

thank you, what I don't understand is: In order to get maximum range, why are some not needing the Antenna while some are? And don't the instructions tell you the antenna isn't needed? I bet in time, someone will chime in with all the facts and I hope it's DJI first. When I get the corrective lenses, I will let you know how things work out. I will use the Antenna for "peace of mind" until I hear otherwise.
2019-5-8
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Airheadbit Posted at 5-8 08:02
This "we are still locating the problem" should have been resolved by now. Without knowing the customer environment ie: Firmware of 'Camera', RC, Phone type, OS version, APP version, Goggle DOM/Serial #/Firmware Version, and where the 'Camera' was flown for testing as in 'Wide Open Flat Area' or 'Obstruction Ladden Populated Area', the Altitude of the 'Camera' during the testing and the topology of possible interference as in download an app to locate: Broadcast, Cellular, Microwave towers I can imagine your technicians are not duplicating the problem.
I can hope that this information was PM to you.

Hi Airheadbit,

Whether the environment is surrounded with noisy Broadcast, Microwave towers, etc., the issue is still happening just before the 1.25 mile mark; the magic number which DJI mention during the Mavic 2 Product launch (see post #25, section "DJI Mavic 2 Product Launch"), which is the distance which Ocusync 2.0 can transmit up until on the 2.4 Ghz spectrum at FHD.  Once the M2 travels beyond that distance, the FHD signal should be transmitted on the 5.8Ghz spectrum (FHSS).  Presumably the FHD should start on 5.8Ghz range IMHO (not that we can tell which frequency the M2 is transmitting on, and nor does it matter when set to dual transmission mode).

What the video clearly shows is that when leaving the 1.25 mile range, the goggles and RC freeze, and recover when the goggles are turned off.  Further to that, when the M2 is at some distance, beyond the 1.25 mile range, and the goggles are turned back on, the RC crashes, without the goggles even showing an image; and once again recovers when the goggles are switched off.

As I said above, the RF noise of the local towers doesn't play a part in the functionality of the Goggles nor RC.

If we knew additional information, such as initial goggle and RC frequency upon the start of the transmission, happens when the goggles and RC freeze (such as frequency change from either the goggles or RC) and is the Goggles and RC interfering with each other, etc., which on DJI knows, we'd have a better understanding of the issue, but we don't.
2019-5-8
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-8 01:51

Whether the pagoda antenna is installed or not, the Goggles and RC crashes before the magical 1.25 mile range, and any distance after that.

DJI stated during the product launch, that only the 5.8 Ghz frequency is capable of transmitting FHD up until 5 miles, whereas the 2.4 Ghz frequency is only capable of transmitting FHD up until 1.25 miles.

I personally wouldn't be surprised if there is an issue transmitting to both the goggles and RC at the same time on the 5.8 Ghz frequency, whether that the M2 can't transmit to two devices on the 5.8Ghz frequency simultaneously or that there is interference between the goggles and RC when transmission occurs on the 5.8 Ghz frequency.
2019-5-8
Use props
djiuser_RzPTxqXbVwpY
lvl.1
United States

Expected delivery today for my M2/RE goggles and stumbled on this thread.  Should I return the goggles unopened for a full refund?  I don't need aggravation.
2019-5-9
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

UNsyncED Posted at 5-8 22:45
Whether the pagoda antenna is installed or not, the Goggles and RC crashes before the magical 1.25 mile range, and any distance before that.

DJI stated during the product launch, that only the 5.8 Ghz frequency is capable of transmitting FHD up until 5 miles, whereas the 2.4 Ghz frequency is only capable of transmitting FHD up until 1.25 miles.

then why are some not having any range issues? and some even say the new DJI Smart Controller has resolved this range issue. I will report back with my testing as I have both the RE Goggles ...yet to be activated and a new DJI Smart Controller I have that I will test for range with and without the Goggles versus the regular controller with and without the Goggles.
2019-5-9
Use props
Kilrah
lvl.4
  • >>>
Switzerland

People have reported the dual remote feature worked with the standard RC updated to .400 but not the aircraft, so it is somewhat likely that what solves the issue is in the RC firmware. Smart Controllers probably have FWs from after public standard controller .0300 and already had the issue fixed...
2019-5-9
Use props
Rfern
First Officer
United States

Okay, take it for what it’s worth. I received my new replacement goggles, and tested them in limited ways. Keep in mind , I received a brand new , in the box , UPDATED FIRMWARE , set of goggles. I have had no completely disconnecting of the goggles like the last pair at 600 yards . I’ve been out to 2000 meters with them with no disconnect but they do become choppy after about 1000 meters depending on the terrain, but again , no disconnect. I have shut off the goggles to see if I can get more range without them and it seems it is not a factor.( I’m in a very rural area with hilly mountainous terrain). I used the antenna and set everything to dual and auto on HD and normal mode. You tell me.
2019-5-9
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_RzPTxqXbVwpY Posted at 5-9 07:58
Expected delivery today for my M2/RE goggles and stumbled on this thread.  Should I return the goggles unopened for a full refund?  I don't need aggravation.

If you don’t want the hassle, yes return them.

The result of the resolution of this issue will be posted on this thread.
2019-5-9
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

bobsma Posted at 5-9 12:01
then why are some not having any range issues? and some even say the new DJI Smart Controller has resolved this range issue. I will report back with my testing as I have both the RE Goggles ...yet to be activated and a new DJI Smart Controller I have that I will test for range with and without the Goggles versus the regular controller with and without the Goggles.

I look forward to the results of your testing.
2019-5-9
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Rfern Posted at 5-9 16:28
Okay, take it for what it’s worth. I received my new replacement goggles, and tested them in limited ways. Keep in mind , I received a brand new , in the box , UPDATED FIRMWARE , set of goggles. I have had no completely disconnecting of the goggles like the last pair at 600 yards . I’ve been out to 2000 meters with them with no disconnect but they do become choppy after about 1000 meters depending on the terrain, but again , no disconnect. I have shut off the goggles to see if I can get more range without them and it seems it is not a factor.( I’m in a very rural area with hilly mountainous terrain). I used the antenna and set everything to dual and auto on HD and normal mode. You tell me.

Can you please test your setup as describe in post #132 and tell me the results of your tests. Cheers.
2019-5-9
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17439970 ft
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 5-8 22:45
Whether the pagoda antenna is installed or not, the Goggles and RC crashes before the magical 1.25 mile range, and any distance after that.

DJI RE Goggles Specification in ideal conditions clear line of site no interference.
Screenshot_20190509-214000_Chrome.jpg
2019-5-9
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa Posted at 5-9 21:09
DJI RE Goggles Specification in ideal conditions clear line of site no interference.

The Specs which you’ve posted are for the DJI Ocusync Air System (https://m.dji.com/product/dji-ocusync-air-system) rather than the DJI Goggles RE.

I’ve posted the Goggles RE specifications, below, for people’s convenience.

2019-5-9
Use props
Rfern
First Officer
United States

UNsyncED Posted at 5-9 16:50
Can you please test your setup as describe in post #132 and tell me the results of your tests. Cheers.

All the settings were the same as posted on#132 except I used the antenna. When the weather improves I will try it without. Cheers.
2019-5-10
Use props
Rfern
First Officer
United States

Okay, tested without antenna and get the typical disconnect at about 800ft.
2019-5-10
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17439970 ft
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 5-9 23:50
The Specs which you’ve posted are for the DJI Ocusync Air System (https://m.dji.com/product/dji-ocusync-air-system) rather than the DJI Goggles RE.

I’ve posted the Goggles RE specifications, below, for people’s convenience.

Thanks for that just can't find anything for official distance different settings would just make it easier for people to know what their goggles are doing we need something that covers all frequency. No offense meant.
2019-5-10
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa Posted at 5-10 19:21
Thanks for that just can't find anything for official distance different settings would just make it easier for people to know what their goggles are doing we need something that covers all frequency. No offense meant.

No offence taken.

I accumulated all information that I could find in Post #25.  If you'd like me to add anything, let me know.  :-)
2019-5-10
Use props
mau47
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Just want to follow up and ask, if the general consensus that the newest firmware fixes the issues or do the goggles still need to be sent in for repair as well? I haven't had an opportunity to test out yet.
2019-5-11
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

mau47 Posted at 5-11 13:39
Just want to follow up and ask, if the general consensus that the newest firmware fixes the issues or do the goggles still need to be sent in for repair as well? I haven't had an opportunity to test out yet.

There is no consensus at this point in time.
2019-5-11
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Rfern Posted at 5-10 16:47
Okay, tested without antenna and get the typical disconnect at about 800ft.

Thanks for the update.  I'm glad to hear that your issue with the goggles have been resolved.
2019-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules