Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI acknowledges Goggles RE design flaw
32510 448 2019-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UNsyncED
First Officer
Flight distance : 1083392 ft
Australia

djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa Posted at 5-20 21:41
Rfern you should be getting a lot more distance than that. With the goggles in Dual mode no antenna 3/4klm and 4/5 bars reception and I`m AU and this is why I think it is more than just the goggles.
   Good Luck

Have you tried to fly elsewhere, i.e. not towards the island? Have you flown inland over open fields with your goggles and M2? I'd be interested to know if your set up works as well.
2019-5-21
Use props
K_Aalej
First Officer
Flight distance : 994085 ft
Spain

Yesterday I made my first flight with the goggles.

As soon as the goggles arrived, I saw that they were updated with the latest version, so I only activated them and linked with the AC, fully loaded and I went to fly.

My setup was without an antenna, I got a range of 1.3km in HD mode, for me that distance is normal in CE mode, maybe with no goggles and get 2km or maybe  a little more depending the place.

For now I am happy with the first test.
2019-5-21
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

K_Aalej Posted at 5-21 22:15
Yesterday I made my first flight with the goggles.

As soon as the goggles arrived, I saw that they were updated with the latest version, so I only activated them and linked with the AC, fully loaded and I went to fly.

When you were flying with the Goggles and they cut out at the 1.3km mark, did they RC freeze?
2019-5-21
Use props
K_Aalej
First Officer
Spain

UNsyncED Posted at 5-21 22:30
When you were flying with the Goggles and they cut out at the 1.3km mark, did the RC freeze?

definitely not, the RC kept responding, I started to return from that distance controlling the AC with the RC and seeing from the googgles (not a cut, the image was starting to be pixelated) (sorry for my bad English)
2019-5-21
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

K_Aalej Posted at 5-21 22:40
definitely not, the RC kept responding, I started to return from that distance controlling the AC with the RC and seeing from the googgles (not a cut, the image was starting to be pixelated) (sorry for my bad English)

On the box which came with the goggles, there is a manufacturing date (near the serial number), can you please advice when your goggles were made? Many thanks
2019-5-22
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17439970 ft
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 5-21 20:46
Have you tried to fly elsewhere, i.e. not towards the island? Have you flown inland over open fields with your goggles and M2? I'd be interested to know if your set up works as well.

Yeah have flown from top Mt Keira over Lake Illawarra I  like a change it's 5.2 klm across the lake and north of wollongong Towradgi Point all around Illawarra the goggles always perform that's the other thing it's always 1080p reception even 2.4ghz the amount of times I've seen drop to 720p I could count on one hand.
2019-5-22
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 5-22 00:18
On the box which came with the goggles, there is a manufacturing date (near the serial number), can you please advice when your goggles were made? Many thanks

Have you done good distance without the goggles 4/5klm just curious what distance your getting without goggles .
2019-5-22
Use props
K_Aalej
First Officer
Spain

The date is (Y / M) 2018/12
2019-5-22
Use props
K_Aalej
First Officer
Spain

djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa Posted at 5-22 00:41
Have you done good distance without the goggles 4/5klm just curious what distance your getting without goggles .

without goggles I get 2km or 2,5kme without forcing a signal loss, depending the place on CE mode
2019-5-22
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa Posted at 5-22 00:41

I was at Apollo Bay last week, and I managed to have a long flight.  It was BEAUTIFUL!!!
2019-5-22
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

K_Aalej Posted at 5-22 00:51
The date is (Y / M) 2018/12

Thanks for letting me know the Manufacture's Date, that might be important in the future.
2019-5-22
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 5-22 02:23
I was at Apollo Bay last week, and I managed to have a long flight.  It was BEAUTIFUL!!!

I know it very well worked down that way for about 15 years deep sea fishing beautifull part of the world. Hope you sort it out. My goggles were purchased around then .
2019-5-22
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa Posted at 5-22 03:05
I know it very well worked down that way for about 15 years deep sea fishing beautifull part of the world. Hope you sort it out. My goggles were purchased around then .

Do you still have the original box? What is the manufacturers date on your Goggles?
2019-5-22
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 5-22 03:24
Do you still have the original box? What is the manufacturers date on your Goggles?

No I don't mate only that scan code thing on the goggles head band I  can see all the letters and numbers but don't no how to make anything of it it's 14 letters and digits don't know if it would help.
2019-5-22
Use props
Estelle Lau
Captain
Flight distance : 38632 ft
  • >>>

I saw many of you in this forum have a range issue with the Goggles RE,  but I don't have such an issue, so I posted the following thread a week ago,  I hope it is helpful to all of you.

How to deal with the short range issue of Goggles RE with Mavic 2!!!

I saw some threads talking about the short range issue of the Goggles RE with Mavic 2. I've tested mine last weekend, I found no issues when I use them. I think that some people may really get some issue, but some may get this issue since they use the machine in a wrong way,  so I decided to share my test to all of you, I hope it is helpful.

Here are my testing steps:
Step 1.      Turned all devices off, screwed the Pagoda antenna onto the Goggles RE. Someone may ask why I put the antenna on, doesn’t it just for the analog video transmission? Nope, it’s for receiving 5.8G signal. Luckily, the analog video transmission is running on 5.8G so it can be received by the antenna. And, as we all know the Ocusycn 2.0 has the dual channel and it might use 5.8G at any time, so you need to put the antenna on to make sure it will not lose signal while using 5.8G.
Step 2.        Turned the AC and RC on, set the wireless channel to DUAL via DJI GO 4.
Step 3.        Turned the Goggles RE on, linked it to the AC.
Step 4.        Then, put the Goggles RE on my head, not on the ground, haha.
Step 5.        Have fun, haha!!!

Troubleshooting Steps for Your Reference:
1.        If the range issue persists after you tried my test steps, go back to Step 1;
2.        Set the channel to 2.4G manually in Step 2, (Not the Dual anymore.);
3.        Relink the AC and Goggles RE;
4.        If the issue was gone, that means the Pagoda antenna was dead, you need to get it replaced;
5.        If the issue persists again, there might be something wrong with the Goggles RE, refresh the firmware with Assistant 2 and try it again. If nothing changes, send it back to DJI for repair.
2019-5-22
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

It's a good post I have recomended people take a look at it. Seems like you read the manual you would nearly think you work for DJI. Would you Know what the different frequencies are suppose to be used for because they all need to work for the goggles not to be faulty. My goggles seem to work as well distance is not my problem. Good post Thank You.
2019-5-22
Use props
Macabre
lvl.2
Flight distance : 390220 ft
Sweden

I received my Goggles RE manufactured 10/2018.

And guess what, I also have issues with range.
I had quite a lot of issues in range 400m-800m. I couldn't get further than that.

So I did some testing:
1) Downgrading to 100 firmware then upgrading again to 700.
2) Swapped antennas (no difference).
3) Tried without antenna (lower range).
4) Started the aircraft and controller, made sure both are connected before turning googles on.
5) Made sure both the controller and goggles are in dual mode.

I also changed the location and suddenly I was able to get to 1.2km, although the location wasn't that much different and I would still get disconnected controller and above 800m the video was very choppy. But to be honest, without goggles I could not get further than 1.6km anyway.

So I'm not sure, should I return these goggles, send for repair or keep?
2019-5-22
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Estelle Lau Posted at 5-22 04:48
I saw many of you in this forum have a range issue with the Goggles RE,  but I don't have such an issue, so I posted the following thread a week ago,  I hope it is helpful to all of you.

I’m really glad to hear that your Goggles RE are working as expected.

I do find it interesting that you had to go through all of those steps, considering your goggles were already working. You almost sound like a DJI staff member.
2019-5-22
Use props
Estelle Lau
Captain
Flight distance : 38632 ft
  • >>>

UNsyncED Posted at 5-22 17:23
I’m really glad to hear that your Goggles RE are working as expected.

I do find it interesting that you had to go through all of those steps, considering your goggles were already working. You almost sound like a DJI staff member.

Currently, a friendly DJI User, or one of the DJI fans.
But I would like to be a DJI Staff member one day if there is a chance. I am Chinese and live in China, emmmm, sounds like it is quite possible to become a DJI Staff, except the city where I live now is far away from the city where the DJI locate, what a pity!! haha!
2019-5-22
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Estelle Lau Posted at 5-22 19:12
Currently, a friendly DJI User, or one of the DJI fans.
But I would like to be a DJI Staff member one day if there is a chance. I am Chinese and live in China, emmmm, sounds like it is quite possible to become a DJI Staff, except the city where I live now is far away from the city where the DJI locate, what a pity!! haha!

If I lived in China I too would love to work for DJI, but unfortunately I live elsewhere.  I am an Electronics Engineer though, I'm sure that's a feather in my hat.
2019-5-22
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

I will be testing very soon!
2019-5-23
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 5-22 19:38
If I lived in China I too would love to work for DJI, but unfortunately I live elsewhere.  I am an Electronics Engineer though, I'm sure that's a feather in my hat.

Has DJI sent the video of the testing they assured you of any luck
2019-5-23
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa Posted at 5-23 20:50
Has DJI sent the video of the testing they assured you of any luck

They have sent me photos.  I'm still in talks with them, and will discuss it publicly once I feel that it's appropriate. I trust that you understand.
2019-5-24
Use props
Macabre
lvl.2
Flight distance : 390220 ft
Sweden

So, still no solution to this? (no, post 335 is not a solution).
What, do I need to send my RE goggles to DJI?
2019-5-24
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

Macabre Posted at 5-24 03:42
So, still no solution to this? (no, post 335 is not a solution).
What, do I need to send my RE goggles to DJI?

Log a repair request at repair.dji.com.  You can also speak with @DJI_Mindy to escalate the case, once a case number has been generated.

I hope that they'll fix this soon.
2019-5-24
Use props
Damager
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9052 ft
Canada

I wouldn't bother sending them in yet - since they don't know what the core issue is, they will likely just check, test, and return the goggles with the same issue.
2019-5-24
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 5-24 03:37
They have sent me photos.  I'm still in talks with them, and will discuss it publicly once I feel that it's appropriate. I trust that you understand.

No problem hope it works out for everyone sake good luck
2019-5-24
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

Damager Posted at 5-24 08:46
I wouldn't bother sending them in yet - since they don't know what the core issue is, they will likely just check, test, and return the goggles with the same issue.

same here... this is why I have been reluctant to even trying mine for the first time! in the next week my testing will be done. I have a Jan. 2018 build date so this will be a good early sample.
2019-5-24
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

bobsma Posted at 5-24 16:32
same here... this is why I have been reluctant to even trying mine for the first time! in the next week my testing will be done. I have a Jan. 2018 build date so this will be a good early sample.

I look forward to the results of your testing. (Post #132)
2019-5-24
Use props
Airheadbit
lvl.4
United States

Estelle Lau Posted at 5-22 04:48

After hours of research (Google Fi) I have confirmed my original understanding of Goggle RE:
1. The Pagoda 5.8Ghz Left Hand Circular Polarized (LHCP) antenna that comes with the Goggle RE is for use with  third party Analog transmitters or the Ocusync Air System (OAS). I "Assume" this since the Mavic 2 Zoom/Pro + RC has no LHCP Pagoda antenna, since there is NO documentation on the Goggle RE internal antenna (four 2.4Ghz of on the White Goggle) I have to "Assume there are two 2.4 and two 5.8Ghz dipole internal antenna (or four dual 2.4/5.8Ghz) in the Goggle RE and these all work with the DJI Mavic 2/RC. The OAS for DJI Goggle RE come with two LHCP Pagoda antenna(and others), one has a MMCX connector and the second one has RP-SMA FEMALE connector that DJI call an SMA connector, The issue here is what are you suppose to put into the second antenna connector on the OAS? The OAS has two MMCX dipole and two MMCX cylindrical antenna but only one MMCX Pagoda antenna.

A Mavic 2 (Zoom or Pro) has two antenna that must be dual 2.4/5.8Ghz antenna, these are Dipole antenna, not LHCP or Clover antenna. The point being that the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom can not handle LHCP RF signals, period, so why is DJI telling customers to install the LHCP antenna when they are not using a third party analog or OAS equipped drone?
Read the Goggle RE users manual, ignore the technical errors: Goggle RE External SMA antenna (it is a RP-SMA MALE not a SMA!)

2019-5-26
Use props
bobsma
Second Officer

United States

Airheadbit Posted at 5-26 19:09
After hours of research (Google Fi) I have confirmed my original understanding of Goggle RE:
1. The Pagoda 5.8Ghz Left Hand Circular Polarized (LHCP) antenna that comes with the Goggle RE is for use with  third party Analog transmitters or the Ocusync Air System (OAS). I "Assume" this since the Mavic 2 RC has no LHCP Pagoda antenna, since there is NO documentation on the Goggle RE internal antenna (four 2.4Ghz of on the White Goggle) I have to "Assume there are two 2.4 and two 5.8Ghz dipole internal antenna (or four dual 2.4/5.8Ghz) in the Goggle RE and these all work with the DJI Mavic 2/RC. The OAS for DJI Goggle RE come with two LHCP Pagoda antenna(and others), one has a MMCX connector and the second one has RP-SMA FEMALE connector that DJI call an SMA connector, The issue here is what are you suppose to put into the second antenna connector on the OAS? The OAS has two MMCX dipole and two MMCX cylindrical antenna but only one MMCX Pagoda antenna.

good work! I figured that antenna is a placebo!
2019-5-26
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

1. The Pagoda 5.8Ghz Left Hand Circular Polarized (LHCP) antenna that comes with the Goggle RE is for use with  third party Analog transmitters or the Ocusync Air System (OAS). I "Assume" this since the Mavic 2 RC has no LHCP Pagoda antenna, since there is NO documentation on the Goggle RE internal antenna (four 2.4Ghz of on the White Goggle) I have to "Assume there are two 2.4 and two 5.8Ghz dipole internal antenna (or four dual 2.4/5.8Ghz) in the Goggle RE and these all work with the DJI Mavic 2/RC. The OAS for DJI Goggle RE come with two LHCP Pagoda antenna(and others), one has a MMCX connector and the second one has RP-SMA FEMALE connector that DJI call an SMA connector, The issue here is what are you suppose to put into the second antenna connector on the OAS? The OAS has two MMCX dipole and two MMCX cylindrical antenna but only one MMCX Pagoda antenna.

I've tested the goggles and the M2Z in 5.8ghz with and without the antenna and it's day and night?
2019-5-27
Use props
Airheadbit
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa Posted at 5-27 00:43
I've tested the goggles and the M2Z in 5.8ghz with and without the antenna and it's day and night?

@djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
What do you mean by "day and night?"
1. you set the freq. to 5.8ghz?
2. you put the LHCP antenna on the Google RE?
3. You set the freq. to 5.8Ghz and installed the LHCP antenna?
4. you set the Freq. to AUTO?
5. you set the freq. to AUTO and installed the LHCP antenna
6. you set the Freq to 2.4Ghz?
7. You set the Freq. to 2.4Ghz and installed the 5.8Ghz LHCP antenna?
2019-5-27
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

Airheadbit Posted at 5-27 09:36
@djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
What do you mean by "day and night?"
1. you set the freq. to 5.8ghz?

Read the thread and yes I set the frequency to 5.8 and tested with and without the antenna without 750m/1klm with the antenna 3klm was a bit windy turned around. That wasn't their limit . Day and night?
2019-5-27
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa Posted at 5-27 16:20
Read the thread and yes I set the frequency to 5.8 and tested with and without the antenna without 750m/1klm with the antenna 3klm was a bit windy turned around. That wasn't their limit . Day and night?

Sorry, I’m a little confused too.

Can you please advise what setting the RC was set to 2.4 GHz, 5.8 GHz or Dual?

What setting did you set the Goggles RE to, 2.4 GHz, 5.8 GHz or Dual?

What LiveView setting was the RC set to, Normal or HD?

What LiveView mode was the Goggles set to, Normal or HD?

Your feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
2019-5-27
Use props
slick848
lvl.2

United States

Can you get googles for the Phantom 3 Standard
2019-5-27
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 5-27 16:49
Sorry, I’m a little confused too.

Can you please advise what setting the RC was set to 2.4 GHz, 5.8 GHz or Dual?

RC & GOGGLES set to 5.8ghz live view 1080p and without the antenna 750m/1klm . Then with the antenna I  got around 3.5klm could have kept going but was a bit breezy. That's why I have been trying to find out what each frequency is suppose to be used for. Hope this helps
2019-5-27
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

1. The Pagoda 5.8Ghz Left Hand Circular Polarized (LHCP) antenna that comes with the Goggle RE is for use with  third party Analog transmitters or the Ocusync Air System (OAS). I "Assume" this since the Mavic 2 Zoom/Pro + RC has no LHCP Pagoda antenna, since there is NO documentation on the Goggle RE internal antenna (four 2.4Ghz of on the White Goggle) I have to "Assume there are two 2.4 and two 5.8Ghz dipole internal antenna (or four dual 2.4/5.8Ghz) in the Goggle RE and these all work with the DJI Mavic 2/RC. The OAS for DJI Goggle RE come with two LHCP Pagoda antenna(and others), one has a MMCX connector and the second one has RP-SMA FEMALE connector that DJI call an SMA connector, The issue here is what are you suppose to put into the second antenna connector on the OAS? The OAS has two MMCX dipole and two MMCX cylindrical antenna but only one MMCX Pagoda antenna.

It actually says in (FAQ) RE Goggles that the antenna should be used to support the 5.8ghz video transmission to the goggles.  
2019-5-27
Use props
UNsyncED
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa Posted at 5-27 19:36
RC & GOGGLES set to 5.8ghz live view 1080p and without the antenna 750m/1klm . Then with the antenna I  got around 3.5klm could have kept going but was a bit breezy. That's why I have been trying to find out what each frequency is suppose to be used for. Hope this helps

All good, thanks for the clarification.

The headband on the goggles are designed for the 2.4 GHz frequency, and the antenna is design for the 5.8 GHz frequency, but as AirheadBit stated the antenna is LHCP encoded and the drone is not. This also may mean that the Goggles RE may have a second antenna for the 5.8 GHz frequency, internally (I’m still to do research into the Goggles RE antennas! Tear down, etc.)

At the DJI Product Launch, they stated, “It (OcuSync 2.0) switches automatically between 2.4 and 5.8 gigahertz frequencies to give you better interference resistance” and “The Live View image displays at full 1080p resolution at distances up to 5 miles versus 1.25 miles with Mavic Pro (because it only transmits at the 2.4 GHz frequency)”. Given the stated information from the launch, the Goggles and RC should both be set to Dual at 1080p, for best image and “interference resistance” (marketing wank).

Can you please help us, as your drone and goggles seem to be working well, test your drone and goggles by setting them to Dual and HD LiveView, and see how they work together, both with the antenna and without. Thanks.
2019-5-27
Use props
djiuser_6GziRQ1ksuAa
Second Officer
Australia

UNsyncED Posted at 5-27 20:56
All good, thanks for the clarification.

The headband on the goggles are designed for the 2.4 GHz frequency, and the antenna is design for the 5.8 GHz frequency, but as AirheadBit stated the antenna is LHCP encoded and the drone is not. This also may mean that the Goggles RE may have a second antenna for the 5.8 GHz frequency, internally (I’m still to do research into the Goggles RE antennas! Tear down, etc.)

I have done this and with both I have not found their limits. I am currently planning a flight from Boilers PT to Gong Light House 7.25Klm this will be with the antenna in DUAL mode. when the weather clears will let you know how it goes.
2019-5-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules