2087 23 2019-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

I finally received my Osmo Pocket Audio Adapter and was able to put together a short video of tests that I did today regarding the Osmo Pockets internal microphones record levels and the levels of four external microphones. Microphones tested are the Movo VXR10, Aputure A.lav, Sony ECMCS3 and Edutige ETM-001.
All tests were done with the Osmo Pockets audio input level set to high unless othertswse noted.
All audio is raw and unprocessed. The video’s overall audio gain was increased +9 dB across the board but the relative levels of samples remained consistent.
EDIT:  Since first running this test and finding my Aputure A.lav microphone was distorted while using it with the Osmo Pocket Adapter with out the Aputure plug-in power adapter I have found that if I use an adapter (DYI) that will take the A.lav microphone Tip and Ring and tie them together the Osmo Pocket will record good audio on both channels (mono duplicated to second channel).  It turns out that the A.lav microphone cord does not have a connection to the Tip (left channel) and the Osmo Pocket Audio Adapter needs audio there.  

2019-3-22
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi Bob.

Excellent test, the best I've seen so far.

I think the results are fairly conclusive as far as quality is concerned, especially bearing in mind the extra sample with a phone.

Thanks for taking the time to do such a detailed analysis.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-22
Use props
NoëI
lvl.4

Netherlands

Thank you for testing.
The Sony ECMCS3 sounds best.
2019-3-22
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Great test
2019-3-22
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

The  Sony ECMCS3 is stereo mic. Can you get stereo sound or not? Hint: no one is able to record stereo, and I have this microphone and my test indicates only mono. And you sound waves clearly indicate exactly the same audio in both channels, which may be because you gave them both the same input.
2019-3-22
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

markr041 Posted at 3-22 05:03
The  Sony ECMCS3 is stereo mic. Can you get stereo sound or not? Hint: no one is able to record stereo, and I have this microphone and my test indicates only mono. And you sound waves clearly indicate exactly the same audio in both channels, which may be because you gave them both the same input.

Why don't you post your own video and audio examples and prove your point?
2019-3-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, thank you for sharing your test with Product. Well done. Cheers!
2019-3-22
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

David_Harry Posted at 3-22 01:11
Hi Bob.

Excellent test, the best I've seen so far.

Dave,Thank you for the kind words.  I just wanted to share my findings.  As you implied in your recent video we have to work within the limitations of the Osmo Pocket and learn the best ways to overcome/avoid them.

Bob

2019-3-22
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

David_Harry Posted at 3-22 06:02
Why don't you post your own video and audio examples and prove your point?

Because I only post videos I think are worth watching, which are not videos of wave forms in which the audio consists of finger snaps on the right and left - my test. This guy posted a video without checking a fundamental issue of audio. He can do a check easily on this one issue and obviously enjoys making test videos. And he knows what he is doing. My test indicates no stereo from the stereo mic used in the test here. You can choose to think I am lying about my test to suit your own prejudice.
2019-3-22
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

markr041 Posted at 3-22 12:23
Because I only post videos I think are worth watching, which are not videos of wave forms in which the audio consists of finger snaps on the right and left - my test. This guy posted a video without checking a fundamental issue of audio. He can do a check easily on this one issue and obviously enjoys making test videos. And he knows what he is doing. My test indicates no stereo from the stereo mic used in the test here. You can choose to think I am lying about my test to suit your own prejudice.

So you're passing judgement on what others are doing, those who are trying to help others and playing ball. Seems like a lot of talk for someone who hasn't tried to help anyone and who hasn't posted anything to prove their point.
Plus I think you've hit the nail squarely on the head. You say you only post what's worth watching, so you've obviously not done anything worth watching.

2019-3-22
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

BobWinNV Posted at 3-22 10:50
Dave,Thank you for the kind words.  I just wanted to share my findings.  As you implied in your recent video we have to work within the limitations of the Osmo Pocket and learn the best ways to overcome/avoid them.

Bob

Hi Bob.

Credit where credit is due. I've got nothing but respect for anyone who shares their experiences and is helping others.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-22
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

markr041 Posted at 3-22 05:03
The  Sony ECMCS3 is stereo mic. Can you get stereo sound or not? Hint: no one is able to record stereo, and I have this microphone and my test indicates only mono. And you sound waves clearly indicate exactly the same audio in both channels, which may be because you gave them both the same input.

While recording the Sony ECMCS3 into a Zoom H1 for a baseline stereo test I noticed that my CS3 has a 3dB difference between the two channels (Left is hotter) when talking to a point between the two elements.  

I was also only able to see an additional 3dB difference between the two channels when talking directly into one of the elements.  The result is that talking into the Left element would show the Left channel to be about 6dB higher than the Right channel (just noticeable to the ear) and when talking into the Right element I would see equal levels on the two channels.  

My conclusion is that the ECMCS3 is not the right platform to use to test the Osmo Pocket's stereo separation or lack thereof.

I personally think that DJI needs to look into fixing the Osmo Pocket's audio stage starting with addressing the low audio levels that users are seeing.  I would also like to see a variable input level gain adjustment for the OP and the implementation of some sort of visual display of levels on the OP itself.   

I would also hope that input levels would be in a usable range.  Two of the three levels that we have available now are unusable in my opinion.  

In conclusion I did see enough in my previous testing  to make me think that the Osmo Pocket is currently not capable of recording audio which will playback with stereo separation.
2019-3-22
Use props
nianeko3
lvl.4
Japan

How about to use Lch as front side main mic & Rch as back side noise suppress?
2019-3-22
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

nianeko3 Posted at 3-22 19:52
How about to use Lch as front side main mic & Rch as back side noise suppress?

I can not think of any practical application for doing so with the ECMCS3 Lav.  Do you know of any?
2019-3-22
Use props
nianeko3
lvl.4
Japan

At dual microphone noise reduction system, one ch is for desired and the second is for noise.
So asymmetric setting looks better for external stereo mic with OP mic adapter.  

2019-3-23
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

BobWinNV Posted at 3-22 17:00
While recording the Sony ECMCS3 into a Zoom H1 for a baseline stereo test I noticed that my CS3 has a 3dB difference between the two channels (Left is hotter) when talking to a point between the two elements.  

I was also only able to see an additional 3dB difference between the two channels when talking directly into one of the elements.  The result is that talking into the Left element would show the Left channel to be about 6dB higher than the Right channel (just noticeable to the ear) and when talking into the Right element I would see equal levels on the two channels.  

Nonsense. I have used that Sony mic on lots of cameras and the stereo separation is obvious (this includes the GoPro 7 Black with its usb-c adapter, which is stereo). There is no stereo from the DJI adapter. Btw, that mic is one of the recommended mics by DJI - look at the list.

Do a stereo test, do not just talk into the mic. This is not difficult - Just snap your fingers to the left and to the right close to the mic. Walk around the room while talking. This is what I did, and it is obvious there is no stereo with this adapter, while the same "test" gives obvious stereo directionality to sounds on my Zoom H1, on my GoPro Hero 7 Black and on my GH5.

I am happy to be proved wrong. There is not a single demonstration of a stereo recording from the adapter anywhere. There is not any spec indicating stereo capability.

In sum, I do not get stereo using the DJI adapter with the recommended stereo mic that gives stereo on all other recorders I have tried. You have the equipment - show us I am wrong - you simply have not done a proper test of stereo yet.
2019-3-23
Use props
nianeko3
lvl.4
Japan

Thanks. I delete the third line.
2019-3-23
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

markr041 Posted at 3-23 05:33
Nonsense. I have used that Sony mic on lots of cameras and the stereo separation is obvious (this includes the GoPro 7 Black with its usb-c adapter, which is stereo). There is no stereo from the DJI adapter. Btw, that mic is one of the recommended mics by DJI - look at the list.

Do a stereo test, do not just talk into the mic. This is not difficult - Just snap your fingers to the left and to the right close to the mic. Walk around the room while talking. This is what I did, and it is obvious there is no stereo with this adapter, while the same "test" gives obvious stereo directionality to sounds on my Zoom H1, on my GoPro Hero 7 Black and on my GH5.

I already stated that I did not see any indication of stereo separation recorded by the Osmo Pocket when using the Sony ECMCS3 microphone.  I do not plan any further testing of stereo at this time.  I personally am more concerned with audio levels recorded by the Osmo Pocket and the inability to view and adjust those levels on the Osmo Pocket when not attached to a phone.
2019-3-23
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

nianeko3 Posted at 3-23 04:26
At dual microphone noise reduction system, one ch is for desired and the second is for noise.
So asymmetric setting looks better for external stereo mic with OP mic adapter.

Does it sound better?  I must admit that I make it a habit of leaving the Osmo Pocket noise reduction switch turned off.
2019-3-23
Use props
nianeko3
lvl.4
Japan

May be depends on purpose.
With only mic, audio level is too low, so I made a tiny stereo mic amp from led candle light.
2019-3-23
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40866 ft
  • >>>
Canada

nianeko3 Posted at 3-23 16:11
May be depends on purpose.
With only mic, audio level is too low, so I made a tiny stereo mic amp from led candle light.

Can you explain how? id really like to have stereo, and your solution sounds good.
2019-3-25
Use props
nianeko3
lvl.4
Japan

In the old days, I heard Furtwangler by Breitklang LP. OP with external stereo mic recorded sound reminds me this.
I also like to record stereo sound, but now I understand that OP is not for concert hall.
Or your question is how to make mic amp?
2019-3-25
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Nice test, thanks for sharing
2019-3-26
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
  • >>>