Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Lost Phantom 4 pro plus
1073 22 2019-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mr.Johnsky
Flight distance : 43297 ft
Canada

If anyone could help me locate the aircraft would be greatly apreciate it . I do have the logs except for the last one where data apears to be corrupted when i try load it. However the log prior to that it doest show a location , I did search the place and is not there. Looking at Imu it does show the aircraft was at 400 ft in the air .... . On all this time the aircraft was in RTH . I can provide logs and also any other information that I can retreive from my remote as it has the built in screen . DJIFlightRecord_2019-03-22_[18-36-03]csv.zip (101.71 KB, Down times: 8)
2019-3-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

For anyone to help you, it is preferred to use the flight log interpreter in this link: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Go to the site, upload your log and then come bacxk and post a message containing a link to the result.
2019-3-22
Use props
Mr.Johnsky
Canada

here it is https://app.airdata.com/share/HPnliK
2019-3-22
Use props
Mr.Johnsky
Canada

I have been looking around but its night time , I couldn't see much . I will try in the morning to go to the last location , could be there as there are lots of trees on that property , I will ask the owner to have a look. Also the battery was low wouldnt it force it to land or maybe smashed something. If you look on the log overview it does say landed at 15 %. Im not sure what to say ... there is one last log in the file but when i load it its just some error , couldnt load data.
2019-3-22
Use props
Mr.Johnsky
Canada

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/YOE4VHMQTZ7UU66HFWV8/
2019-3-22
Use props
Mr.Johnsky
Canada

also If you look at the log the VPS altitude shows on the last location 14ft , which tells me it could be crashed in some tree/or property  and the IMU could just be bugged . This is frustrating I guess I gotta get an inspire or something better that can hold the wind. its only 20 mph ...
2019-3-22
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mr.Johnsky Posted at 3-22 20:53
also If you look at the log the VPS altitude shows on the last location 14ft , which tells me it could be crashed in some tree/or property  and the IMU could just be bugged . This is frustrating I guess I gotta get an inspire or something better that can hold the wind. its only 20 mph ...
I'm not sure where you think you saw 14 ft ... it's not what the data says at all.
The last record shows the altitude at 410 feet and the VPS showing N/A.
It was high in the air and flying at 4 mph.
There's no hint of a problem with the IMU but there's plenty of evidence of pilot error.

did search the place and is not there.
That's because at the time, your drone was 400 feet up and flying further south at 3-4 mph.
It appears that you lost signal and we have no way of knowing what happened after that point.
Except that we can see the drone was at 15% battery and would have autolanded soon after when the battery reached critical low level.

There is no terrain that the drone could have crashed into on RTH so wind is the next obvious potential issue to investigate.
There were warning signs all over the flight data which starts with the drone 565 ft up and going backwards at 2-4mph in hands-off RTH with the battery at 50%.
After a while you tried sport mode for nearly 2 minutes and burned the battery to 36% for a gain of only 200 ft and gave up on Sport Mode.
You went back to RTH, sometimes adding a bit of right stick but just ended up even further away and with less battery.
It wasn't till 10:30 that you started bringing the drone down lower and started gaining distance.
However you still left the drone 410 feet up where it was fighting a strong headwind and hardly gaining.
Then the data ends with the battery at 15% and the drone 2800 feet away.

It's a tough lesson but maybe you've learned that the wind up higher is always stronger.
Leaving the drone up so high was a big mistake.
If you'd brought it down to 100 ft early on, you could have easily made it home.
If you had realised the wind speed and direction and flown the opposite direction instead of flying away up high with a tailwind, you'd have had an uneventful flight.

About the best anyone can do is to advise that the search area should be between the last recorded point and home.
I'd start at the halfway point and work southwards - but it doesn't look like an easy search.
2019-3-22
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

This is frustrating I guess I gotta get an inspire or something better that can hold the wind. its only 20 mph ...
You'd lose your Inspire as well if you don't learn a few basic things about flying in wind.
The wind on the ground might have been only 20 mph but it was significantly stronger than that up 4-500 feet.
Read my previous post if you want to learn something from this incident.
2019-3-22
Use props
Mr.Johnsky
Canada

if you look at the log seconds before it shows 14 ft.
2019-3-22
Use props
Mr.Johnsky
Canada

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/YTO5UMWRT4HVTCGHE159/#
2019-3-22
Use props
Mr.Johnsky
Canada

at 11m 23.3s the VPS altitude is 14 ft
2019-3-22
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Mr.Johnsky Posted at 3-22 23:14
at 11m 23.3s the VPS altitude is 14 ft

OK .. I see you had a few times where for a second or two the VPS was registering while the barometer showed you at 4-500 feet up.
These are obviously not real readings of something just below the drone and the altitude from the barometer appears to be accurate.
Did you have something down below the sensors like one of those "gimbal guards"?

No comment on the detailed analyisi I gave you about heights and wind which were the obvious problem ?
2019-3-23
Use props
Mr.Johnsky
Canada

no gimbal guards nothing obscuring the sensors
2019-3-23
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Mr.Johnsky Posted at 3-23 03:56
no gimbal guards nothing obscuring the sensors

The spurious VPS readings are interesting and a mystery.
But they aren't at all involved in the loss of the drone from flying downwind high up in a strong wind and leaving the drone up there rather than getting it down out of the wind.
2019-3-23
Use props
Grumpy D
Captain
Flight distance : 18245 ft
United States

It is not uncommon to have 20mph wind on the ground and have 60+mph at 400ft with 80+mph gusts.
Moving forward, if you continue flying you will be well served by preplanning your flights. One of the most important considerations is weather, including the wind. There are many apps and websites available to help. Here is a nice site that can be helpful. https://www.uavforecast.com  Play with the settings and different locations, it will help see what’s actually going on at altitude.
2019-3-23
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Grumpy D Posted at 3-23 04:58
It is not uncommon to have 20mph wind on the ground and have 60+mph at 400ft with 80+mph gusts.
Moving forward, if you continue flying you will be well served by preplanning your flights. One of the most important considerations is weather, including the wind. There are many apps and websites available to help. Here is a nice site that can be helpful. https://www.uavforecast.com  Play with the settings and different locations, it will help see what’s actually going on at altitude.

You don't need a forecast app to tell:
Which way the wind is blowing .. or
That you that you shouldn't fly off downwind in a strong wind .. or
That if you get stuck in a strong headwind coming home, you have to get down out of the strong wind if you want to get the drone back.
2019-3-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Mr.Johnsky. I am sorry for the troubles that it may cause and to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Phantom 4 Pro Plus. Since this issue is happened. It appears that this issue needs to be diagnosed by our team in addition please sync the flight records of the said drone for further help. You can contact our support team to start up a repair case by using this link: https://www.dji.com/support. We hope to hear from you soon and looking forward to resolve this as soon as possible. Thank for your support.

2019-3-23
Use props
Mr.Johnsky
Canada

cool thank you everyone ! Someone have found it im waiting for a response from the person. I will keep you updated it
2019-3-23
Use props
rwynant V1
Captain
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good news!!   All the best!

Today at the RC field we have 10 to 15mph wnw and gusts to 20....this at 30ft agl

400ft agl it was 40mph gusts wnw

Randy
2019-3-23
Use props
Grumpy D
Captain
Flight distance : 18245 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-23 05:47
You don't need a forecast app to tell:
Which way the wind is blowing .. or
That you that you shouldn't fly off downwind in a strong wind .. or

I agree 100%. They are not necessary but for a person who doesn’t know, they can be a very good learning aid, having a visual is helpful for many.
Personally, I like knowing what the wind is going to be the day before, allowing me to plan my day and save an unnecessary change cycle on the batteries.   
2019-3-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Grumpy D Posted at 3-23 04:58
It is not uncommon to have 20mph wind on the ground and have 60+mph at 400ft with 80+mph gusts.
Moving forward, if you continue flying you will be well served by preplanning your flights. One of the most important considerations is weather, including the wind. There are many apps and websites available to help. Here is a nice site that can be helpful. https://www.uavforecast.com  Play with the settings and different locations, it will help see what’s actually going on at altitude.

That site might be OK for someone in the US, but for my location here in Australia it was total bull....
2019-3-23
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Sorry to know that mate
2019-3-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Mr.Johnsky Posted at 3-23 16:47
cool thank you everyone ! Someone have found it im waiting for a response from the person. I will keep you updated it

You're most welcome. We will wait for your update. Thanks for your continued support.
2019-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules