Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
When I move gimbal or yaw, video footage gets jittery / flickery
2741 14 2019-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aghenender
lvl.1
United States

Hey All,

I've seen several posts about this issue but there never seems to be a solution.

When I fly my Mavic Air straight, the footage looks amazing.  As soon as I start to tilt the gimbal up or down, im getting some sort of flickering or jitteriness, I'm not really sure how to word it.  It's definitely ruining my shots.

I filmed this video in 4k, 25 fps, 1/50 shutter speed, with an ND4 filter on.  I have my gimbal pitch speed set to 9, I believe smoothness was around 10 but I have since changed that to 25. The gimbal pan starts at 00:20 but you can really see what im talking about on the right side of the screen around 00:25 seconds.  I feel like flickering may be the best way to put it, keep an eye on the land outcropping.

Mavic Air Test Flight - Jittery Footage

Any help is much appreciated.  Like I said I've been trying to solve this myself by researching online but all people respond with is "shutter speed twice the fps, use ND filters," both of which I am doing.  Thank you!

-Amdrew
2019-3-23
Use props
djiuser_WvoPrNLBY4kI
New
Flight distance : 82306 ft

United States

I’m having the same problem. Looks great at 2k 60 though.
2019-3-23
Use props
aghenender
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_WvoPrNLBY4kI Posted at 3-23 07:14
I’m having the same problem. Looks great at 2k 60 though.

were you able to click that link? its not working for me now.  Retrying here: MavicFlight
2019-3-23
Use props
aghenender
lvl.1
United States

aghenender Posted at 3-23 07:25
were you able to click that link? its not working for me now.  Retrying here: MavicFlight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nogp0rebI2I
2019-3-23
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

stop listening to 'people' and shoot at 30/60/90/120 - simple.
or switch your tv / monitor to 50hz lol - not always that easy to do.

i can't even watch most videos on here because they just stutter and flicker and look like crap.
the same might be said for someone watching one of my videos in a 50hz country.  
2019-3-23
Use props
aghenender
lvl.1
United States

AIister Posted at 3-23 07:35

Do you think its my monitor? My monitor is running 144hz with 1ms refresh
2019-3-23
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Canada

it shouldn't - if your monitor and video card are synced up at 144 that's dividable by 24... does the video do the same thing before you upload it?  like watching on vlc?
2019-3-23
Use props
aghenender
lvl.1
United States

AIister Posted at 3-23 07:56
it shouldn't - if your monitor and video card are synced up at 144 that's dividable by 24... does the video do the same thing before you upload it?  like watching on vlc?

Yeah its even worse on VLC than it is on youtube
2019-3-23
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Canada

weird.  what does your codec information say in vlc?

2019-3-23
Use props
aghenender
lvl.1
United States

AIister Posted at 3-23 08:14
weird.  what does your codec information say in vlc?

[view_image]

2019-3-23
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Canada

here's a good basic explanation

"'Cause, computers? I imagine that video frame rates were never a big enough issue for computer manufacturers to be concerned about them. For a long time, computers didn't have any video playback capability. They just picked one refresh rate and went with it, higher being better. Of course computer and monitor manufacturers were predominantly American and Japanese (both 60 Hz countries, at least in parts), which may have been a factor.

At playback time frames will be repeated as necessary to get from 25 fps to 60 fps. For each second of video, 15 frames are played twice and 10 frames are played 3 times. It amounts to a 2:3:2:3:2 pattern of repetition, though it's actually dynamic and determined automatically by the video subsystem, not the playback software.

For 24 fps content played at 60 fps, it's similar: 12 frames in each second are played 3 times, and 12 are played two times, in a 3:2 repeating pattern. It's called 3:2 pull-down.

When the playback frame rate is much higher than the content frame rate (by a factor of roughly 2.5 or more), our eyes aren't too sensitive to the repetition or its pattern. At smaller ratios, irregularities in the repetition pattern can become noticeable, so the repetition should be kept regular or avoided altogether by blending or interpolating frames. Converting from 50 fps to 60 fps, for example, doesn't look good when it's done by repeating frames."
2019-3-23
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Canada

anyway, try to make a video with a multiple of 30 and compare and if it works, stick with it.
2019-3-23
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Canada

2019-3-23
Use props
Aurelian Irimia
Second Officer
Flight distance : 903350 ft
  • >>>
Spain

AIister Posted at 3-23 07:35

I personally not shoot in 24fps like all the “experts” because I don’t like it. I also prefer 30fps, 60fps and 120fps. And one more thing: I'm very sorry but I personally see the ND filters for drones more as a waste of time and money than something useful. And I'll say why I think this. Today I flew with my Mavic Air. Sunny day, the settings of the camera in manual mode, 4k 30fps and dcinelike. In a single flight I changed the view several times, with the sun in front, with the sun behind, in shaded areas ... I have obtained very different shutter speeds in a single flight, from 1/160 to 1/2000. To be able to use the 180 rule, according to the PolarPro application, I have to use 4 ND filters on a single flight, ND4, ND8, ND16 and ND32. Practically every time I change the angle to record another perspective, as the shutter speed varies a lot, I have to land the drone and put a new filter. I practically have to spend more time changing filters than record my videos. That's why I do not see ND filters very useful. They can be useful only if you fly in only one direction.
2019-3-23
Use props
djiuser_sRMlTIUHahSb
New

United Kingdom

2021-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules