Osmo Pocket mic adaptor, sounds great with this mic
1412 23 2019-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Good news everyone

Here’s an example of a lavalier microphone that sounds great with the Pocket. I’d go so far as to say that I’ve not heard a better dialogue example of the Pocket and its adaptor.

This clip hasn’t been touched in post and is exactly as recorded, in fact, there’s a link below to where you can download the original file and have a play with it.

As I mention in the video, I’ve come across a number of issues with the adaptor but I will leave them for different videos and posts as this may even be the first positive post about the adaptor. It’ll be interesting to see if people's appetites extend to the positive as opposed to all the negative crap.

For now and in keeping with my endeavours to find the best scenarios for using the Pocket, I’ve now ticked one of my boxes, a good dialogue mic for vlogging, pieces to camera and interview stuff.

Right now, I have no other system that’s able to record dialogue so well with a great picture, that all fits in my pocket.

The audio gain was set to auto, I'd usually dial in my setings but as this was a quick thing I used auto.

This setup exactly as it is right now, is perfect for a particular shooting scenario and has easily justified the cost of the setup. Seriously, this is a perfect ultra lightweight acquisition solution for ENG and similar uses.

I will do a propr YouTube video soon showing this setup properly with indoor and outdoor dialogue examples.

You can download the clip here along with a bunch of other test files:

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-3-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for sharing this very informative video about the DJI 3.5mm mic adapter that you have created. Great work and thank you for supporting DJI.
2019-3-23
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

I just found another video of mic adapter test, :-)
https://youtu.be/_p0NBtXeYaE
2019-3-23
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

I cannot edit my post ......

In this video   I do not know it is mono or stereo.....
2019-3-23
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dave,

Sounds great and looks good too.  Levels are great.

Clippy EM-172.
2019-3-23
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Thanks Dave !!!
2019-3-23
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi.

You are very welcome.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-23
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-23 08:59
Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for sharing this very informative video about the DJI 3.5mm mic adapter that you have created. Great work and thank you for supporting DJI.

Hi Stephen.

You are very welcome.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-23
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

BobWinNV Posted at 3-23 10:37
Dave,

Sounds great and looks good too.  Levels are great.

Hi Bob.

Thanks for posting that waveform. I hadn't even looked at the file properly as I was just so surprised at how well the interface worked with this mic and just uploaded it. So your screen grab is the first I've seen that shows its level and it does look very healthy.

I'm not ignoring all the issues that people are having and I've hit a number of problems myself. But like I'd said, I'm trying to find what it can do best and this example clearly shows just how good the Pocket can sound when matched with a mic that suits it.

As far as I'm concerned, this combination is brilliant. This represents the smallest camera system that I can put together that can shoot great looking UHD picture and with this lav great dialogue sound. To be honest, even with the best camera I've got that's got a great mic input and records uncompressed audio, this example isn't that far off, except this setup all fitted in one pocket.

I'll upload a couple more clips, so check back if you're interested.

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-3-23
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

David_Harry Posted at 3-23 13:08
Hi Bob.

Thanks for posting that waveform. I hadn't even looked at the file properly as I was just so surprised at how well the interface worked with this mic and just uploaded it. So your screen grab is the first I've seen that shows its level and it does look very healthy.

Hi Dave,

micbooster.com now has one less Clippy Mono EM172 Microphone in stock.

I am really looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Bob
2019-3-23
Use props
Tide
First Officer
United States

David_Harry Posted at 3-23 13:08
Hi Bob.

That’s really sound great.
Looking forward to full review video.
2019-3-23
Use props
NoëI
lvl.4

Netherlands

BobWinNV Posted at 3-23 13:17
Hi Dave,

micbooster.com now has one less Clippy Mono EM172 Microphone in stock.

Make that one more.. Or should that be one more less ..
Thank you Dave.
2019-3-23
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

BobWinNV Posted at 3-23 13:17
Hi Dave,

micbooster.com now has one less Clippy Mono EM172 Microphone in stock.

Hi Bob.

That's awesome

I'm sure you will like the mic. Although I think it sounds great on the Pocket, if you try it on something else that can record uncompressed audio without any dynamics processing at the recording. You will hear just how good these mics are, especially their inherent noise level which is very low.

Here's another example of that lav. Bear in mind though that this example is with a smartphone that uses quite aggressive processing for anything that goes into its TRRS mic/headphone jack.

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-3-23
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

NoëI Posted at 3-23 13:36
Make that one more.. Or should that be one more less ..
Thank you Dave.

Hi NoëI.

Awesome I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

I've just tried a test before where I clipped the Clippy to the mic adaptor itself, basically using it as an external mic to use an alternative to the Pocket's internal. The reason for trying this is because I build these tiny Nano Mics that use the same capsule as the Clippy EM172. Anyway, it sounded very promising and I will be doing a how to guide soon to show how to build one of these mics for the Pocket. I also make up a cardioid version as well, I'll try this with the pocket and post examples if it works out well.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-23
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

David_Harry Posted at 3-23 14:03
Hi Bob.

That's awesome

Dave,

Sure sounds good on the S10 but I will take your advice and give it a try on my Zoom H6 when it arrives.

Bob
2019-3-23
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

BobWinNV Posted at 3-23 14:22
Dave,

Sure sounds good on the S10 but I will take your advice and give it a try on my Zoom H6 when it arrives.

Hi Bob.

If you do synced audio with your Zoom, I'm quite sure you will really like this mic for video work. You may find it good for doing straight dialogue capture with your Zoom as it will allow for an amazingly portable dialogue recording setup. Bear in mind though that it is an omni, so its use is going to be dictated to by the recording loaction's acoustics.

Here's an example of it with a Sony A7 III

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-3-23
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi.

For anyone who is interested, here's another example of the Clippy EM172 clipped to the body of the Sony A7 III as a replacement to its internal mics. I'll do this same thing with the Pocket as well and post examples if they come out well.

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-3-23
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Hi Dave.
I downloaded the file and must admit the sound (Taking away your room acoustics) sounds very usable. Particularly the sound level and noise floor.
So I imported the soundtrack only into Cubase and put your track alongside my individual tests.
Sound level wise it was closest to my Rhode Video mic Pro and to my ears slightly less sibilant but your mic was at 90 degrees to your mouth so I'll look at that again.
Phase wise I could not see or hear any variance between left and right channels but there was one unexpected thing that happened.
Please look at the jpg underneath.
Channels one and two are my original, old, ECM using varying pickup patterns panned left/right.
Channels three and four are the Rhode Video mic Pro, again panned left and right.
Channels five and six are my line level input experiment.
Channels seven and eight are from your video with channel seven (left) approximately 6dBm down on the right channel, similar to my own findings so far.
Then I noticed something I hadn't noticed before because I looked at each recording separately.
My mic recordings came in as being able to be connected to a stereo bus.
My line level input recording came in as mono on both channels.
Then your recording imports as mono to the left and stereo to the right.
I checked the routing of my mixer and imported each file the same way.
I have never seen this happen before on any previous project. I tried setting up this twice with the same result in case I'd made a mistake on import.
I can't explain what's going on. Any ideas? other than I'm going slowly mad.

2019-3-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

David_Harry Posted at 3-23 12:56
Hi Stephen.

You are very welcome.

It is always my pleasure Dave. Have a safe and happy filming always.
2019-3-23
Use props
T is for Tech
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the video Dave, I'm ordering one also!
2019-3-26
Use props
Udo13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 257188 ft
Germany

Hi Dave,
do you know this microfone?

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01N6P8 ... ef_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Do you think it is ok for the Osmo Pocket?
2019-3-28
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Udo13 Posted at 3-28 02:56
Hi Dave,
do you know this microfone?

Hi Udo.

I have one of these but have not tried it with the Pocket yet. The TRRS version of this mic works well with smartphones but most smartphones do have fairly poor audio with their internal mics, so most externals will sound better by comparison.

The thing with the Pocket is that it does react differently to any other recording device that I use, so a mic that sounds good on my Sony camcorder or GoPro may not sound so well with the Pocket.

The only real thing to do with the Pocket is to test a specific mic with it and hear how it sounds, which isn't really ideal.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-28
Use props
Udo13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 257188 ft
Germany

David_Harry Posted at 3-28 04:36
Hi Udo.

I have one of these but have not tried it with the Pocket yet. The TRRS version of this mic works well with smartphones but most smartphones do have fairly poor audio with their internal mics, so most externals will sound better by comparison.

Tanks Dave,

we in our video forum are looking for the best microfon for the pocket.
Yes it is the only pollibility to test, and hope we find a good and small microfone.
2019-3-28
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Udo13 Posted at 3-28 05:19
Tanks Dave,

we in our video forum are looking for the best microfon for the pocket.

Hi Udo.

You are very welcome.

I've shot some footage with a few different small mics and will post a video if it turns out well.

While the Pocket is a bit odd in the way that it handles audio, it can record very good dialogue with certain mics. Check out my XLR mic test, this sounds very impressive.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-184998-1-1.html

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules