Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New iPad mini (5) 2019
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Clubman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 407802 ft
Bulgaria

Hi ! I would like to open a thread where we can discuss the newly released iPad mini 2019. If someone has tried it on a DJI device, any info about performance, issues, overheating, transmission signal and so on(probably it won't be supported at first before a future app update).  I am currently using android device for my P4P and been thinking to buy iPad mini 4, but now, when the new version is out, I would like to be informed about if it's worth it (new chip A12 over the older A8). I am a bit cautious about newer iPads after the Mini 4, because I am aware of the overheating issues they have.

2019-3-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Clubman. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have given.  I hope you'll get the best information and recommendation here from our valued DJI Members and Customers who uses the newly released iPad mini 2019.  Thank you for your valued support. Actually, there is a  possibility that this iPad will work, however, since it's not yet optimized by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the iPad when in use with on your DJI Phantom 4 Pro. We highly suggest you use the compatible device that was listed on the recommended mobile device list below to avoid any problem. Thank you.

2019-3-23
Use props
Clubman
lvl.1
Bulgaria

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-23 15:45
Hello and good day Clubman. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have given.  I hope you'll get the best information and recommendation here from our valued DJI Members and Customers who uses the newly released iPad mini 2019.  Thank you for your valued support. Actually, there is a  possibility that this iPad will work, however, since it's not yet optimized by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the iPad when in use with on your DJI Phantom 4 Pro. We highly suggest you use the compatible device that was listed on the recommended mobile device list below to avoid any problem. Thank you.

[view_image]

Of course, I will be waiting for that optimization and some user reviews before buying. I am using Samsung Note 4, which was listed among the compatible devices, but a few months ago I have noticed that it was out from that list. Any clues why? Thanks!
2019-3-23
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Clubman, the new Mini (or the Air) would be fine - awesome, in fact. Despite what advice you may otherwise receive, so long as you have the A8X CPU or above you should currently experience increasingly little or no overheating. Software compatibility with the iPad otherwise is a matter of iOS level and not the platform itself.

CPU overheating is due to it having to work hard to do the video decoding required by the GO 4 app to put flight images on the screen - it's quite demanding, and other less-bloated apps (like Litchi) aren't as bad. An underpowered CPU may also result in video glitches on the screen (as the CPU can't manage the processing sufficiently in real time). The new A12 CPU would eat that for breakfast.
2019-3-23
Use props
crystal-pete
lvl.4
Flight distance : 55856 ft
Australia

The likely course of events is that DJI will announce support for the latest iPad Mini sooner than later - they probably won't even need to do any optimizing at all. Apart from the "overheating" issue, I haven't heard of anyone having problems running DJI Go 4 on iPhones or iPads unless they are really old models. Overheating can have different causes not excluding the ambient environmental temperature - a lot of people reporting that issue also admitted that they were flying in very hot weather.  Having multiple apps running in the background can also cause unnecessarily heavy CPU load resulting in overheating.

Furthermore, there are a lot of Android devices that run DJI Go 4 without any problems but are also not included on the list of supported devices. So go ahead and buy the new iPad Mini - IMHO the worst that can happen is that you'll need to wait for the next firmware update. If for some highly unlikely reason the new iPad Mini is never supported by DJI then that could only mean that DJI and Apple were no longer friends.
2019-3-23
Use props
ATJ
Captain
Flight distance : 17736 ft
United States

crystal-pete Posted at 3-23 18:55
The likely course of events is that DJI will announce support for the latest iPad Mini sooner than later - they probably won't even need to do any optimizing at all. Apart from the "overheating" issue, I haven't heard of anyone having problems running DJI Go 4 on iPhones or iPads unless they are really old models. Overheating can have different causes not excluding the ambient environmental temperature - a lot of people reporting that issue also admitted that they were flying in very hot weather.  Having multiple apps running in the background can also cause unnecessarily heavy CPU load resulting in overheating.

Furthermore, there are a lot of Android devices that run DJI Go 4 without any problems but are also not included on the list of supported devices. So go ahead and buy the new iPad Mini - IMHO the worst that can happen is that you'll need to wait for the next firmware update. If for some highly unlikely reason the new iPad Mini is never supported by DJI then that could only mean that DJI and Apple were no longer friends.

I own the iPad mini 4 and it works great, but I strongly suggest you going for the larger screen, you won't regret it.
2019-3-24
Use props
Renames
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4232851 ft
Australia

The new iPad runs the DJI app absolutely fine
2019-3-24
Use props
Clubman
lvl.1
Bulgaria

crystal-pete Posted at 3-23 18:55
The likely course of events is that DJI will announce support for the latest iPad Mini sooner than later - they probably won't even need to do any optimizing at all. Apart from the "overheating" issue, I haven't heard of anyone having problems running DJI Go 4 on iPhones or iPads unless they are really old models. Overheating can have different causes not excluding the ambient environmental temperature - a lot of people reporting that issue also admitted that they were flying in very hot weather.  Having multiple apps running in the background can also cause unnecessarily heavy CPU load resulting in overheating.

Furthermore, there are a lot of Android devices that run DJI Go 4 without any problems but are also not included on the list of supported devices. So go ahead and buy the new iPad Mini - IMHO the worst that can happen is that you'll need to wait for the next firmware update. If for some highly unlikely reason the new iPad Mini is never supported by DJI then that could only mean that DJI and Apple were no longer friends.

Yes, I forgot to mention that most of the overheating issues in the reviews appear while flying in direct sunlight and hot weather. But that is no good for me, because I have a proof that this won't happen on certain devices. I want that. That's why I have to be sure that I won't have any overheating problems with the new iPad mini, or it is a NO buy from me. Thank you for your time!
2019-3-24
Use props
Clubman
lvl.1
Bulgaria

Renames Posted at 3-24 06:23
The new iPad runs the DJI app absolutely fine

That's good news. Hope it stays the same and the tablet doesn't shut down while flying in hot weather. If you owned previous iPad with below 500 nits, have you noticed any big difference in brightness, now that the iPad mini offers brighter screen than mini 4 - near 500 against 450 I think ?  
2019-3-24
Use props
Renames
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4232851 ft
Australia

Clubman Posted at 3-24 09:19
That's good news. Hope it stays the same and the tablet doesn't shut down while flying in hot weather. If you owned previous iPad with below 500 nits, have you noticed any big difference in brightness, now that the iPad mini offers brighter screen than mini 4 - near 500 against 450 I think ?

Sorry I’ve gone to a iPad Pro 11 inch ..

It’s all I have now.. absolutely love it
2019-3-25
Use props
WayneMHK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm upgrading to the Mini 5 from the 4 for the better display alone.  The fact that it has better innards is a plus as well.  In my mind, the mini is perfect for this purpose and if the new one is faster and brighter, all the better.
2019-3-29
Use props
KenTbk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 327644 ft
Singapore

Hi Guys, how do you think 64GB or 256GB would be preferred ?
2019-3-31
Use props
djiuser_D1M1g45o3y0G
lvl.1
Flight distance : 177779 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all, I have just bought the new iPad Mini 5 (using on an M2P).  One issue I have found so far is that I cannot select individual waypoints in DJI GO to change height, speed, direction, etc.

Is this a known issue?
2019-5-7
Use props
Bryce - Antwerp
lvl.1
United States

WayneMHK Posted at 3-29 05:05
I'm upgrading to the Mini 5 from the 4 for the better display alone.  The fact that it has better innards is a plus as well.  In my mind, the mini is perfect for this purpose and if the new one is faster and brighter, all the better.

I'm glad to hear this. From what I read the glare is much less too when outdoors and I think that would be good. What are your thjoughts. I am currently using the 4 and the fingerprints get very annoying. It sounded like it has several measures to over come the fingerprints and the glare.
2019-5-25
Use props
AirWolfe
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_D1M1g45o3y0G Posted at 5-7 06:04
Hi all, I have just bought the new iPad Mini 5 (using on an M2P).  One issue I have found so far is that I cannot select individual waypoints in DJI GO to change height, speed, direction, etc.

Is this a known issue?

I'm researching the iPad Mini 5 and I have read that if you do not have the wifi + cellular version of the mini 5 then you can't use follow me or waypoints because the wifi only version does not have GPS.  However, I believe that you could tether your iPad Mini 5 to your phone and have GPS that way which would allow you to use follow me and waypoints.  If you have the wifi only version try tethering it and then let us know your findings.
2019-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules