Why buy a drone when you're not allowed to fly it?
4874 28 2019-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kandomere
lvl.3
United States

The new update is full of NFZ. Owning a drone is pointless, unless you live in a 3rd world country.  
2019-3-23
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Or more than 5 miles from an airport in a first world country.
2019-3-23
Use props
Kandomere
lvl.3
United States

A J Posted at 3-23 23:27

you're assuming that everyone who complains about the NFZ update wants to fly within the 5 mile radius.  
2019-3-24
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kandomere Posted at 3-24 09:58
you're assuming that everyone who complains about the NFZ update wants to fly within the 5 mile radius.

I'm not making any assumptions. I live in a first world country and can fly my drone in a vast number of areas across my country that are not in a 5KM radius of an airport. Thus owning a drone is NOT pointless as you incorrectly assumed.
2019-3-24
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

when next you feel like being a dick perhaps you can go do it on another forum
2019-3-24
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we do appreciate sharing your thought here about the No Fly Zone. DJI’s GEO System delineates where it is safe to fly, where flight may raise concerns, and where flight is restricted. GEO zones that prohibit flight are implemented around locations such as airports, power plants, and prisons. They are also implemented temporarily around major stadium events, forest fires, or other emergency situations. Certain GEO zones don’t prohibit flight, but do trigger warnings that inform users of potential risks. By default, GEO limits flights into or taking off within zones that raise safety or security concerns. If a flight within one of these locations has been authorized, GEO allows users with verified DJI accounts to temporarily unlock or self-authorize their flights. This unlock function is not available for sensitive national-security locations. The GEO system is advisory only. Each user is responsible for checking official sources and determining what laws or regulations might apply to his or her flight. In some instances, DJI has selected widely-recommended general parameters without making any determination of whether this guidance matches regulations that may apply specifically to you.
2019-3-24
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Unfortunately many people live near airports and/or helipads near hospitals etc and would like to fire up their drones and cannot do it for the NFZ's nearby or have to unlock every time they want to. Must be a real pain for them.
2019-3-24
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

free zone here, Northern Quebec
2019-3-25
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

BobB Posted at 3-24 15:18
Unfortunately many people live near airports and/or helipads near hospitals etc and would like to fire up their drones and cannot do it for the NFZ's nearby or have to unlock every time they want to. Must be a real pain for them.

the only painful thing I have here are the black flies in Spring, swarms of them, can actually clog up  the drone, and the constant biting on your face hands and every other exposed area.
2019-3-25
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Picanoc Jack Posted at 3-25 01:39
the only painful thing I have here are the black flies in Spring, swarms of them, can actually clog up  the drone, and the constant biting on your face hands and every other exposed area.

In SW Missouri we have small swarms of what we/i call gnats and i see them dead on my props and need to clean them off every flight during the summer. Not quite as thick as what your black flies are i don't think.
2019-3-25
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

BobB Posted at 3-25 05:26
In SW Missouri we have small swarms of what we/i call gnats and i see them dead on my props and need to clean them off every flight during the summer. Not quite as thick as what your black flies are i don't think.

you would think that the air flow from the props would keep both them pests away, I usually wont fly when it's that bad, there's no enjoyment in it.
2019-3-25
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well, you are at least two years too late to the party I am afraid. The good old days of free fly, I still remembered.
2019-3-25
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

Maxi3D Posted at 3-25 11:22
Well, you are at least two years too late to the party I am afraid. The good old days of free fly, I still remembered.

still have it where I live,
2019-3-25
Use props
Roy Rogers
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

Have any of you tried the B4Ufly app ? I D/L it after hearing a few people complain about it and no matter where you try it there is almost always a airport or helipad listed . it even has a helipad listed being in the meddle of a shoe store parking lot . I don't know if its list  are bogus or if it just list everywhere there has been one in the past.
2019-3-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Nah that’s not it, if there is a NFZ that shouldn’t be there then that’s wrong , I suggest reporting it.
If that’s not the case, remember we can’t have everything on our doorstep , if you need this then flying a drone is Maybe not for you.
Think of it like this, somebody wants to learn to play golf, he needs to find a golf course, because we can’t all expect to live next door to a golf course and practicing golf on the local highway central reservation is a NGZ and the golfer must respect this and learn to travel to participate in his chosen sport , well that’s par for the course for all hobbies.
Believe me the best thing about flying drones is travelling and getting different aspects in other areas that golfers will never see . ;+):::::: .
2019-3-26
Use props
Flyingcougar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 654528 ft
United States

The best thing for a place to fly is a tank of gas.
2019-3-26
Use props
ajrulez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 447142 ft
United States

Even in NFZ inform the FAA to fly and get high...
2019-3-26
Use props
crystal-pete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 55856 ft
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 3-26 16:03
Nah that’s not it, if there is a NFZ that shouldn’t be there then that’s wrong , I suggest reporting it.
If that’s not the case, remember we can’t have everything on our doorstep , if you need this then flying a drone is Maybe not for you.
Think of it like this, somebody wants to learn to play golf, he needs to find a golf course, because we can’t all expect to live next door to a golf course and practicing golf on the local highway central reservation is a NGZ and the golfer must respect this and learn to travel to participate in his chosen sport , well that’s par for the course for all hobbies.

Great analogy!  All of the whining about not being able to fly anywhere you want is really getting old. Someone mentioned the good old days when there were no restrictions - well those days are long gone and it's likely that, if/when widespread Drone Deliveries are implemented, there will be even fewer places to fly recreationally.
2019-3-28
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 3-23 23:27

I'm over 8 miles from airport and can't fly because of Special B zones now that can extend 15 miles out from an airport.
2019-3-28
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

crystal-pete Posted at 3-28 15:24
Great analogy!  All of the whining about not being able to fly anywhere you want is really getting old. Someone mentioned the good old days when there were no restrictions - well those days are long gone and it's likely that, if/when widespread Drone Deliveries are implemented, there will be even fewer places to fly recreationally.

Only gone for DJI customers
2019-3-28
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

BrianKushner Posted at 3-28 17:41
I'm over 8 miles from airport and can't fly because of Special B zones now that can extend 15 miles out from an airport.

Do you mind sharing which airport you live near?  Under normal circumstances, DJi’s NFZ would not come anywhere near extending 8+ miles away from an airport.  I think it is more likely that you might be in an authorization zone or an altitude zone.  If that’s the case, it is still very easy to fly in these areas using DJI’s self unlock features.
2019-3-28
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BrianKushner Posted at 3-28 17:41

Yet I live in one of the largest and wealthiest 'first world' cities on the planet and can fly my drones without any dramas.
2019-3-28
Use props
JHollimanPhoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82802 ft
United States

Picanoc Jack Posted at 3-25 01:39
the only painful thing I have here are the black flies in Spring, swarms of them, can actually clog up  the drone, and the constant biting on your face hands and every other exposed area.

That sounds terrifying.
2019-3-28
Use props
Thomas Hendrick
New

United States

DJI Tony Posted at 3-24 14:08
Hi, we do appreciate sharing your thought here about the No Fly Zone. DJI’s GEO System delineates where it is safe to fly, where flight may raise concerns, and where flight is restricted. GEO zones that prohibit flight are implemented around locations such as airports, power plants, and prisons. They are also implemented temporarily around major stadium events, forest fires, or other emergency situations. Certain GEO zones don’t prohibit flight, but do trigger warnings that inform users of potential risks. By default, GEO limits flights into or taking off within zones that raise safety or security concerns. If a flight within one of these locations has been authorized, GEO allows users with verified DJI accounts to temporarily unlock or self-authorize their flights. This unlock function is not available for sensitive national-security locations. The GEO system is advisory only. Each user is responsible for checking official sources and determining what laws or regulations might apply to his or her flight. In some instances, DJI has selected widely-recommended general parameters without making any determination of whether this guidance matches regulations that may apply specifically to you.

I look at the GEO zone in Colorado and it shows the aiports and prisons, of course. But it doesn’t show parks. Apparently you can’t fly them in national parks or even a place like red rocks, but it doesn’t show it on the GEO map. What should I believe? Are the Rocky Mountains off limits?
2019-8-25
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

Thomas Hendrick Posted at 8-25 09:18
I look at the GEO zone in Colorado and it shows the aiports and prisons, of course. But it doesn’t show parks. Apparently you can’t fly them in national parks or even a place like red rocks, but it doesn’t show it on the GEO map. What should I believe? Are the Rocky Mountains off limits?

The National Park Service (and some state or local park) rules prohibit takeoffs, landing, or operation of your drone within the park boundaries, but they have no jurisdiction over the airspace above the parks despite what some try to claim. In other words, you can't be within the park while flying, but nothing prevents your drone from flying over one. It's a subtle but important distinction, and is presumably why DJI's GEO doesn't prevent you from flying over those areas.

Having said that, you should never rely on GEO as a source to determine where you can and can't fly. It isn't meant to do that and isn't a very reliable reflection of the actual rules and regulations, at least not for flying within the U.S. For airspace restrictions, you should instead rely on something like the FAA's B4UFLY or one of the many other reputable mobile device flight apps. With respect to state, local, or other rules like those of the NPS, there unfortunately isn't a single source of information you can rely on and just need to do research on the locations where you'd like to fly.
2019-8-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Thomas Hendrick Posted at 8-25 09:18
I look at the GEO zone in Colorado and it shows the aiports and prisons, of course. But it doesn’t show parks. Apparently you can’t fly them in national parks or even a place like red rocks, but it doesn’t show it on the GEO map. What should I believe? Are the Rocky Mountains off limits?

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. Aside from the geo-zone, there will be local policies were implemented by the government that flying drones are prohibited for safety reason. Such as park or private property. However, the scenario will be different and if the app prompt that you can't take off drone due to the restriction but checking in the geo zone map, the location is not under the restriction, you may coordinate the situation to our designated department which can be reached thru email: flysafe@dji.com
2019-8-26
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

You are assuming that such countries don't have drone rules, beacause you live in a country wich doesn't let you fly wherever you want...
2019-8-26
Use props
fans825e6f67
New

Suriname

No, the NFZ is for everywhere!
2019-8-27
Use props
djiuser_16hW2wcECtW6
New

United States

A J Posted at 2019-3-23 23:27

Yeah, try again, 32 miles from a single strip airport, driven it in a 40 mile radius to take my first flight, geozone unable to take off anywhere. Ill be getting my money back i didnt spend a grand on a peice of plastic for it to tell me i cant fly anywhere even with faa authorization
2 hours ago
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules