LUT for Low Light using D-CiLike profile
3602 16 2019-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJDream
lvl.3
Israel

Hi guys,
Could you please recommand a good low light LUT for D-Ci-Like profile?
It looks likethe D-CiLike profile has lower levels of noise, so I hope that using this mode and a good low light LUT, I'll get better results than using the "Normal" profile whice creates high levels of noise even at ISO 800.
Tnx in advance !
2019-3-24
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're sure that our DJI Forum members could provide the recommendation for LUT that you may use for the low light condition. Thank you for continued support.
2019-3-24
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

Here is a lionk to a video that provides a LUT that I think is the best out there:
2019-3-24
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

Double post.
2019-3-24
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

Here is a link to a video where you can get a Cinelike D LUT that I think is the best out there: And here is a night video I shot in Cinelike D that uses the LUT:
2019-3-24
Use props
DJDream
lvl.3
Israel

markr041 Posted at 3-24 14:16
Here is a link to a video where you can get a Cinelike D LUT that I think is the best out there: https://youtu.be/wzHvdi5Pyhw. And here is a night video I shot in Cinelike D that uses the LUT: https://youtu.be/8R_9-egdfVI

Thank you , very nice result.
I wonder if besides the LUT also Noise Reduction / correction was applied to this night shot.
2019-3-24
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

DJDream Posted at 3-24 14:40
Thank you , very nice result.
I wonder if besides the LUT also Noise Reduction / correction was applied to this night shot.

No noise reduction in post was applied. Shot in Cinelike D, applied the LUT. That's it.
2019-3-24
Use props
DJDream
lvl.3
Israel

markr041 Posted at 3-24 15:01
No noise reduction in post was applied. Shot in Cinelike D, applied the LUT. That's it.

Can you please mention all the settings you used?
ISO
Noise Reduction (application setting): Yes/No
Resolution
FPS
Shutter Speed
I have hard time finding a good settings which will result in a such cleared video image without noise as on the video.
I appreciate your assistance with it.

2019-3-24
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

DJDream Posted at 3-24 23:04
Can you please mention all the settings you used?
ISO
Noise Reduction (application setting): Yes/No

The video was shot in Cinelike D in PRO mode. 4K 30p. Auto shutter and ISO, at EV -2. Whatever the noise reduction setting defaults to, since there is no setting on the camera for it. There is no VIDEO noise reduction for teh OSmo Pocket.

The key here is ev -2. You do not want to shoot night videos to make the night look like day, which is what all auto will do. And when that happens you get lots of noise. Dark areas need to be dark. And you do not want to blow out the lit areas. So, for both reasons you need in auto or shutter priority mode (with ISO auto) to set ev down.
2019-3-25
Use props
ChMueller001
lvl.3
  • >>>
Germany

The link to the video with the Cinelike-D-LUT unfortunately doesn't work.
2019-3-25
Use props
lummox
lvl.4
United States

Try this.  

2019-3-25
Use props
DJDream
lvl.3
Israel

markr041 Posted at 3-25 07:47
The video was shot in Cinelike D in PRO mode. 4K 30p. Auto shutter and ISO, at EV -2. Whatever the noise reduction setting defaults to, since there is no setting on the camera for it.

The key here is ev -2. You do not want to shoot night videos to make the night look like day, which is what all auto will do. And when that happens you get lots of noise. Dark areas need to be dark. And you do not want to blow out the lit areas. So, for both reasons you need in auto or shutter priority mode (with ISO auto) to set ev down.

Thank you for this explanation.
So, in this situation of ISO and Shutter Speed at AUTO and EV at -2 do you still use D-CiLike or do you use the Normal profile for low light?
2019-3-25
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

DJDream Posted at 3-25 12:26
Thank you for this explanation.
So, in this situation of ISO and Shutter Speed at AUTO and EV at -2 do you still use D-CiLike or do you use the Normal profile for low light?

I use Cinelike D for all video. It handles highlights much better than does the default color setting. As I said, the night video was shot in Cinelike D with the auto settings and ev set to -2.0.
2019-3-25
Use props
DJDream
lvl.3
Israel

markr041 Posted at 3-25 13:23
I use Cinelike D for all video. It handles highlights much better than does the default color setting. As I said, the night video was shot in Cinelike D with the auto settings and ev set to -2.0.

Thanks again,I appreciate your assistance!
What is your proffered LUT for low light videos and which is your proffered for day light videos?
I applied your suggestion of ISO/Shutter Speed on Auto and EV at minus 2, but I still get a very noisy image at 4K@60fps. At 4K@30fps it is slightly better but still very noisy.
I'm filming under a few light bulbs at home.  
2019-3-25
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

DJDream Posted at 3-25 13:31
Thanks again,I appreciate your assistance!
What is your proffered LUT for low light videos and which is your proffered for day light videos?
I applied your suggestion of ISO/Shutter Speed on Auto and EV at minus 2, but I still get a very noisy image at 4K@60fps. At 4K@30fps it is slightly better but still very noisy.

For low light, you should use 30p, since you can (should) use a lower shutter speed compared with 60p. So, that will let in twice the light. Same LUT, daytime and night.

When you shoot with the light bulb, is the light bulb blown out? If so, you are shooting at too high an ISO. You want exposure to be such that highlights like lit signs, lights are not completely blown. This will crush the blacks, which I think is best - very dark unlit areas. You have to adjust exposure based on the conditions. My ev setting is just a starting point.
2019-3-25
Use props
cEQtBhqjyKJB
lvl.3
Japan

markr041 Posted at 3-25 13:23

so what settings do you use besides Cinelike D mode when shooting in day light (bright & sunny and or overcast)... do you use manual white balance or auto white balance in bright and low light situations... and how about when you use ND filters, what settings do you use... would you apply the 180 degree rule for 24 FPS videos?
2019-3-25
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

cEQtBhqjyKJB Posted at 3-25 17:25
so what settings do you use besides Cinelike D mode when shooting in day light (bright & sunny and or overcast)... do you use manual white balance or auto white balance in bright and low light situations... and how about when you use ND filters, what settings do you use... would you apply the 180 degree rule for 24 FPS videos?

AWB in all situations - it does really well. I use auto, making use of ND filters to keep shutter speed down. Which ND filter depends on the light and on the frame rate. Generally for sunlight I use ND 16X+PL when shooting at 30p and ND 8X+PL when shooting at 60p. The lower the frame rate the more important it is to keep to the 180 rule.
2019-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules