Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Has anyone had firsthand a DJI battery explosion or fire?
12666 34 2019-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paul_
Captain
United States

Just curious.
2019-3-24
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. For this type of scenario, we highly recommend contacting our support for us to provide action and assistance in regards to this query. You could reach our support using the link below. We're hoping that you could get the best feedback that you may need. Thank you for continued support.

www.dji.com/support
2019-3-24
Use props
Visual Air
Captain
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have never had it happen and I have had Many DJI products
2019-3-24
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Never happened to me and I've owned 12 DJI drones from the Spark to the Inspire 1
2019-3-24
Use props
AlansDronePics
Captain
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

I have never had such an event with my 10 DJI batteries, or any equipment that uses a LiPo battery. Apart from a spate of Samsung and I believe a few apple phones, I have only seen them burn or explode on YouTube when deliberately abused.
2019-3-24
Use props
jyc
Captain
Flight distance : 2246224 ft
Canada

Not yet!
2019-3-24
Use props
*DM*
First Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

You need to stop reading forums
2019-3-24
Use props
Paul_IA
Captain
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

I've not had one explode or catch on fire. I have had one battery swell up and I immediately took it out of service, discharged it and disposed of it at a battery recycling facility. There is a video out on YouTube where a battery is sitting on a shelf in a drone repair shop and it bursts into flames (they were not working on the drone at the time), so contrary to what people say, it can happen if the battery is damaged. I store all my batteries in Lipo safe bags when not in use as a safety precaution.
2019-3-25
Use props
flyingfun
First Officer
Flight distance : 2551998 ft
  • >>>
Luxembourg

Once with a battery of a competitor ....
2019-3-25
Use props
*DM*
First Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Even Samsung have great experience in that regard.

2019-3-25
Use props
Flycaster
Captain
United States

I have a friend, who said he has a friend, who says his father had a drone.......
2019-3-25
Use props
AlansDronePics
Captain
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Paul_IA Posted at 3-25 07:01
I've not had one explode or catch on fire. I have had one battery swell up and I immediately took it out of service, discharged it and disposed of it at a battery recycling facility. There is a video out on YouTube where a battery is sitting on a shelf in a drone repair shop and it bursts into flames (they were not working on the drone at the time), so contrary to what people say, it can happen if the battery is damaged. I store all my batteries in Lipo safe bags when not in use as a safety precaution.

Amazing the YouTube people happened to have a camera recording at that moment.
Did I ever tell you about the tooth fairy...
2019-3-25
Use props
Paul_IA
Captain
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 3-25 11:27
Amazing the YouTube people happened to have a camera recording at that moment.
Did I ever tell you about the tooth fairy...

I appreciate your sarcasm, but you really need to be enlightened. Here's some verified news stories to get you started:

Kezi News

ABC News

Boston News

There are also several news articles where it appears that the charger overheated and caught fire as well. A few more where the drone crashes, the battery shorts out and sets things on fire if you take about 10 minutes to look.
2019-3-25
Use props
cristianc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

I had two batteries swell up and recycled them but no issues other than that.
2019-3-26
Use props
Razinkane
lvl.1
Flight distance : 68156 ft
United States

Yes my Mavic Pro platinum exploded at 300 ft    https://photos.app.goo.gl/jtDEweD4DAyuSxT48
2020-1-17
Use props
M Stuart K
First Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

Razinkane Posted at 1-17 11:40
Yes my Mavic Pro platinum exploded at 300 ft    https://photos.app.goo.gl/jtDEweD4DAyuSxT48

Thanks; looks bad-there does not appear to be any damage to the bottom of the battery case where the battery rests.  Maybe it exploded upwards or sideways?
2020-1-17
Use props
Razinkane
lvl.1
Flight distance : 68156 ft
United States

exploded out back of drone
2020-1-17
Use props
kovat53
Captain
Flight distance : 324521 ft
Hungary

M2P is my third DJI product, Formerly had Spark, after it Mavic Air, now M2P,. I haven't had  (yet) any problem considering battery.
2020-1-17
Use props
Sean Fillingham
New

United Kingdom

Just had one tonight.
Not charged the battery for probably a year.
Started charging ok went to bed at 5% on the display.
Was well alight when I got down.
2020-3-19
Use props
Sean Fillingham
New

United Kingdom

Photo on its side for some reason DJi battery fire
2020-3-19
Use props
Spaceman_66
First Officer
Flight distance : 82323 ft
United States

Nothing whatsoever, 1 1/2 years into owning a MA. If I fly in warm weather (> around 95F here in AZ) I’ll definitely get Data Controller Error messages and the batteries will also tend to come home quite warm to the touch, but that’s been about it so far. I haven’t even tried flying at >100F ambient temps; I figger that’s just just plain asking for it! Also, when it’s really warm out I’ll give the drone itself a fair bit of time (like 10-15 min or so) to cool down internally before popping another battery in for more flying. The MA definitely doesn’t seem to like being either too hot or too cold!
2020-3-19
Use props
izotop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388763 ft

Slovenia

sorry, i don't buy that explosion thing..
2020-3-25
Use props
izotop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388763 ft

Slovenia

but to be on topic:

no problems with my 3 m2p bats.
2020-3-25
Use props
Paulie3323
lvl.1
United States

For the last two days, one of my three Mavic 2 Pro batteries has been turning on the drone right at insertion, and has been unable to turn off the drone at all. Otherwise operating normally, I decided to take it up for a test flight. All seemed normal except that it seemed to be draining power abnormally fast. I landed it with about 60% power left, but immediately smelled electrical fire. I pulled the battery out quickly and found that the rear-left side was beginning to deform from heat and beginning to do the same to the nearby place on the drone. I’ll be disposing this battery and hoping the drone isn’t damaged enough to require a replacement.
2020-8-13
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

None for me with 30+ batteries for various models.  I haven't charged the battery from my recent Phantom 3 crash.  It has a nice dent right in the cell wall so I plan to record the charge cycle just in case.

I have had a couple LiPos for my fixed-wing aircraft swell, but none exploded.

I recently had a Note 4 battery swell so much that it broke the bond of the adhesive securing the display to the case.  The phone was not actually damaged.  I just clamped it back together until the adhesive got a bite.

You can easily make a LiPo catch fire by driving a nail through it, but I have only ever seen a handful of examples of a DJI pack actually exploding or bursting into flames.
2020-8-13
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just curious but how do you know the battery exploded at 300' & not when it impacted the ground?  The damage to the MPP is certainly from the impact.
2020-8-14
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

None yet and ive even punched holes in them to reduce swelling.
2020-8-16
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

gnirtS Posted at 8-16 13:12
None yet and ive even punched holes in them to reduce swelling.

Oh, that's great recipe for getting blind or injured in many other ways ...
2020-8-16
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 8-16 13:22
Oh, that's great recipe for getting blind or injured in many other ways  ...

Yes.  But it means i now have 7 usable batteries instead of 0.
2020-8-17
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

gnirtS Posted at 8-17 05:06
Yes.  But it means i now have 7 usable batteries instead of 0.

Yes, but imagine having 6 usable batteries and being blind or fingerless. Good story to chat about with a bartender, though ...
2020-8-17
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

Or being sensible about how and where to do it and having 7 working batteries instead of 0, all fingers to operate and being able to see to operate it.
We're not dealing with nitroglycerine in a cocktail shaker here.
2020-8-17
Use props
djiuser_yOjNJqsGWT83
New

United States

Hi, my Dji phantom 4 Pro+ v2.0 caught my room on fire in the case out of no where. It was purchased in 2020 but this happened while I was sleeping. This is unexpected from such a high level product.
2021-4-4
Use props
TheCulandun
lvl.1

United States

Not an explosion but overheating caused the battery to swell popping the case.
2023-7-24
Use props
Shayne Lory
lvl.1
Flight distance : 751407 ft

United States

I had it happen to me. FPV battery just cut out and my drone crashed found it a day later and battery was melted and sent it back to DJI for a replacement on both the battery and drone.
2023-12-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Shayne Lory Posted at 12-17 21:27
I had it happen to me. FPV battery just cut out and my drone crashed found it a day later and battery was melted and sent it back to DJI for a replacement on both the battery and drone.

Sorry about the experience. This may happen when the battery is exposed in the rain or near a source of moisture.  If the inside of the battery comes into contact with water, corrosion may occur, potentially resulting in the battery catching on fire, and may even lead to an explosion. Also, the battery should be used in temperatures within -10℃ to 40℃. Disassembling or piercing it in any way may also make the battery leak, catch fire, or explode. Have a nice day.
2023-12-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules