Short test of the Osmo Pocket on a flight
2371 9 2019-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FulanitoFlyer
lvl.3
Peru

I just wanted to show a friend how stable the Osmo Pocket and took a short video of a Flight I made from SCL-COR over the Andes.
Amazing how it handles the vibartions and impact of the landing.

10 Stars to the osmo pocket.. 1 star to the airlines window cleaning service.

I shot it @ 4k 20fps basic mode, but I used the old windows movie maker to cut it and quialty went way down (still works to show the gimble), anyway totally vanilla footage.

2019-3-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day FulanitoFlyer. Thank you for sharing this DJI Osmo Pocket test video and thank you for your support.
2019-3-24
Use props
Dr.Zoidberg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57464 ft
Germany

Thanks for sharing. I also took some footage during takeoff and landing. It's interesting to note, that during acceleration and deceleration the Osmo Pocket's gravity sensor get's "confused" (not really confused, as it can only measure a force and cannot know where the force comes from) and tilt's the image according to the "new" gravitational force vector:You can see in the video, that the tilt angle in the take off part is larger than in the landing part. Which means, that the plane was faster accelerating on takeoff than on landing.

2019-3-24
Use props
FulanitoFlyer
lvl.3
Peru

Dr.Zoidberg Posted at 3-24 12:31
Thanks for sharing. I also took some footage during takeoff and landing. It's interesting to note, that during acceleration an deceleration the Osmo Pocket's gravity sensor get's confused and tilt's the image according to the "new" gravitational force vector.

Ahhh its the sensor.. I thought the little gimbal motor was being pushed by the acceleration didn't think about the sensor.   
2019-3-24
Use props
Dr.Zoidberg
lvl.2
Germany

FulanitoFlyer Posted at 3-24 12:51
Ahhh its the sensor.. I thought the little gimbal motor was being pushed by the acceleration didn't think about the sensor.

I also wondered about the effect. Thanks for reminding me to visualize it. ;-)

You can see the tilt angle in the drawing. It is the angle between the resulting force and the gravitational force.
2019-3-24
Use props
FulanitoFlyer
lvl.3
Peru

Dr.Zoidberg Posted at 3-24 12:55
[view_image]I also wondered about the effect. Thanks for reminding me to visualize it. ;-)

You can see the tilt angle in the drawing. It is the angle between the resulting force and the gravitational force.

Got it! thanks for the short physics lesson
2019-3-24
Use props
Dr.Zoidberg
lvl.2
Germany

FulanitoFlyer Posted at 3-24 12:59
Got it! thanks for the short physics lesson

Now it would be an interesting task for the DJI engineers to find a way to prevent the tilt. You would probably have to calculate the acceleration/deceleration from video analysis...
2019-3-24
Use props
Udo13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 257188 ft
Germany

Dr.Zoidberg Posted at 3-24 13:04
Now it would be an interesting task for the DJI engineers to find a way to prevent the tilt. You would probably have to calculate the acceleration/deceleration from video analysis...

I can confirm that everything, it is very nice quiet shots on flights. But solving the problem of gimbal acceleration is certainly a big technical challenge for DJI engineers.

We should refrain from doing that.
There are simpler things that should be solved in a firmware update. To do it all, the engineers have plenty to do.
2019-3-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice video!
2019-3-25
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain