727 13 2019-3-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChrisJG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hello, whilst flying yesterday, I experienced a compass warning message a few times. Is there a way to see exactly what caused the error? I don't recall seeing an error at take off. I have uploaded my flight to https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/XMZ2UF7OSXTST4SFEUG6/ and would be gratefull if someone with more knowledge that I have could explain what to look for please? The erros start at 2m 50.6s

Thank you,

Chris
2019-3-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day ChrisJG. I am sorry to know that you are having this issue with Compass error on your DJI Mavic Air. May I know if the drone's firmware is on it's most recent one and can you please try to calibrate the Compass of the said drone to check if after this process the issue will still persist. In addition while flying your drone please keep distance to any possible interference like the metal object or radio frequency. Please keep us posted on the said issue for us to help you further. Thank you.

2019-3-25
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Chris,

Weird error in flight "Compass interference. Please move the aircraft away from potential interference source or calibrate the compass.", flying above sea at 175 feet height.You must have see Seagulls flying around your drone with magnets around their neck.....  ;-)This error is mostly seen at startup.

But serious, guess your takeoff point was at the seafront, sandy beach. So not a place to pick up some magnetic inteference at powering up i guess, but never sure about that.

Or mayby the high winds and in pano mode (drone has to fight to get pano position each time, changing heading every set of pictures) had some influence.

Only thing you can do is calibrate compass and keep sharp eye on this next flights.

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
2019-3-25
Use props
ChrisJG
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 3-25 08:53
Hi Chris,

Weird error in flight "Compass interference. Please move the aircraft away from potential interference source or calibrate the compass.", flying above sea at 175 feet height.You must have see Seagulls flying around your drone with magnets around their neck.....  ;-)This error is mostly seen at startup.

Thank you very much for looking at this for me; the seagulls were territorial, but I didn't see them at 175 feet high with magnets in their beaks! ;-)
The only thing I have done differently this time is gone out with a larger bag that contained my iPad that has a sim card and is on a data plan...if I had seen this at take off, then I would have suspected that I was too close to it and getting interference, but do not think at 175 feet it would cause an issue.
I'll keep an eye out next time I fly, thank you very much for investigating this JJB.
Cheers,
Chris
2019-3-25
Use props
ChrisJG
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-25 08:23
Hello and good day ChrisJG. I am sorry to know that you are having this issue with Compass error on your DJI Mavic Air. May I know if the drone's firmware is on it's most recent one and can you please try to calibrate the IMU of the said drone to check if after this process the issue will still persist. I will be posting and official DJI Tutorial Video on how to properly calibrate the IMU of the DJI Mavic Air. In addition while flying your drone please keep distance to any possible interference like the metal object or radio frequency. Please keep us posted on the said issue for us to help you further. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x36WO2OnIaY

Thank you DJI Stephen,
I think that on Thursday last week I updated the firmware when I set up the drone, but will check later this week exactly what version I am using. I didn't calibrate the compass on landing, but will do so when I next fly.
Thank you,
Chris
2019-3-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 3-25 08:53
Hi Chris,

This error is mostly seen at startup.

Pondering thought...  Could it be this message is delayed message?  Possibly data / information that should have been processed at startup, took a backseat to other data / information being processed.  Eventually CPU caught up, and data / information was processed, resulting in a delayed message.

2019-3-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

ChrisJG Posted at 3-25 09:19
Thank you very much for looking at this for me; the seagulls were territorial, but I didn't see them at 175 feet high with magnets in their beaks! ;-)
The only thing I have done differently this time is gone out with a larger bag that contained my iPad that has a sim card and is on a data plan...if I had seen this at take off, then I would have suspected that I was too close to it and getting interference, but do not think at 175 feet it would cause an issue.
I'll keep an eye out next time I fly, thank you very much for investigating this JJB.

but do not think at 175 feet it would cause an issue.

Not at all likely that your larger bag with iPad and sim card would cause magnetic intereference at 175-feet.   Wouldn't even cause magnetic intereference at 17.5-feet.  Might cause magnetic interference at 1.75-feet.

Compass calibration is a different matter.  Best to be at least 10-meters (33-feet) away from any possible sources of magnetic intereference.  Admittedly, your iPad would not require such distance, but it is easier to go with 10-meters for everything than try to list out all exception distances.

2019-3-25
Use props
ChrisJG
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-25 09:47
This error is mostly seen at startup.

Pondering thought...  Could it be this message is delayed message?  Possibly data / information that should have been processed at startup, took a backseat to other data / information being processed.  Eventually CPU caught up, and data / information was processed, resulting in a delayed message.

Not sure, haven't seen anything like this before with the Spark.
Think this is a battery update warning? Saw that this evening on a test flight!
2019-3-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

ChrisJG Posted at 3-25 09:23
Thank you DJI Stephen,
I think that on Thursday last week I updated the firmware when I set up the drone, but will check later this week exactly what version I am using. I didn't calibrate the compass on landing, but will do so when I next fly.
Thank you,

You are very much welcome Chris. Please keep us posted on the said issue for us to help you further. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-3-25
Use props
ChrisJG
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-25 12:10
You are very much welcome Chris. Please keep us posted on the said issue for us to help you further. Have a safe and happy flying always.

Good evening, am according to the DJI assistant using  the latest version of the firmware -  screenshot attached.
Screenshot-2019-03-25-19.53.34.jpg
2019-3-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

ChrisJG Posted at 3-25 11:41
Not sure, haven't seen anything like this before with the Spark.
Think this is a battery update warning? Saw that this evening on a test flight!
[view_image]

That’s battery FW, you need to update all batteries .
2019-3-25
Use props
ChrisJG
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 3-25 13:22
That’s battery FW, you need to update all batteries .

Thank you, smart batteries having their own software to update! Hopefully that''s all the updates for now....
2019-3-25
Use props
ChrisJG
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-25 12:10
You are very much welcome Chris. Please keep us posted on the said issue for us to help you further. Have a safe and happy flying always.

Just completed my first ever calibration of the IMU on the Mavic Air as suggested. Wasn't difficult, you just have to be guided buy the onscreen instructions from within the DJI Go 4 App. Hopefully that will assist with the compass errors that I'm getting.
No chance of flying today though, so perhaps a test flight tomorrow.
2019-3-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

ChrisJG Posted at 3-26 06:42
Just completed my first ever calibration of the IMU on the Mavic Air as suggested. Wasn't difficult, you just have to be guided buy the onscreen instructions from within the DJI Go 4 App. Hopefully that will assist with the compass errors that I'm getting.
No chance of flying today though, so perhaps a test flight tomorrow.

Thank you for your reply ChrisJG. Please keep us posted on the said issue for us to help you further. Thank you for your support and have a safe flight.
2019-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules