audio jerk in recording
893 12 2019-3-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
darkhell
lvl.1
Singapore

Hi

Not too sure if anyone had this issue, or it was being discussed before. Recently, i had recorded some videos with music playing in the background. At the start when the music was relatively softer and more controlled, the recording is fine, but when the music reaches the climax (louder), the voice recording seems to jerk and breakup, while the video capture was still smooth as butter.

Is this an SD card issue or OSMO Pocket issue? would there be any fix for this?

Thanks

2019-3-25
Use props
darkhell
lvl.1
Singapore

i cut out a sample of the video here. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XE8WEjEidQHlMi-4QrjvQV8_99cZrsZO
2019-3-25
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're sorry to hear about the trouble. Let me forward this concern to our developer for them to check and to find out what could be the reason behind this scenario. I need to gather some information before I forward it. May I ask if you are using the Mimo app or just the Osmo Pocket only? And may I ask if your Osmo Pocket is on the latest firmware? Please keep us posted. Thanks!
2019-3-25
Use props
darkhell
lvl.1
Singapore

DJI Gamora Posted at 3-25 13:12
Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're sorry to hear about the trouble. Let me forward this concern to our developer for them to check and to find out what could be the reason behind this scenario. I need to gather some information before I forward it. May I ask if you are using the Mimo app or just the Osmo Pocket only? And may I ask if your Osmo Pocket is on the latest firmware? Please keep us posted. Thanks!

hi, just the osmo pocket. the firmware is 1.03.00.20 / camera firmware 1.06.34.79
2019-3-26
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

darkhell Posted at 3-26 04:44
hi, just the osmo pocket. the firmware is 1.03.00.20 / camera firmware 1.06.34.79

Hi.

That sounds like it could be that the microphones are being overloaded by high sound pressure levels SPL. This is very common with small electret condenser microphones ECM or possibly MEMS. It won't be your SD card and highly likely not an issue with the Pocket. This issue effects many similar devices with small microphones.
If you talk quietly close to your Pocket and then shout, you'll probably notice a similar outcome.

It may also be an effect of the Pocket's audio processing when dealing with high sound pressure levels.

Even if you use any recording equipment that can protect the actual recording leve by way of dynamics processing ahead of the amplification/gain/encoding, if distortion occurs at the microphones themselves there's nothing that can be done about that.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-26
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

darkhell Posted at 3-26 04:44

Thank you for providing this information. I already forwarded this information to our developer for them to check the video as well. Once I have the feedback I will reach back here. Thanks!
2019-3-26
Use props
darkhell
lvl.1
Singapore

David_Harry Posted at 3-26 05:08
Hi.

That sounds like it could be that the microphones are being overloaded by high sound pressure levels SPL. This is very common with small electret condenser microphones ECM or possibly MEMS. It won't be your SD card and highly likely not an issue with the Pocket. This issue effects many similar devices with small microphones.

icic.. this sounds logical.. would using an external mic resolve this?
2019-3-27
Use props
Crocodoc
lvl.1
Austria

I encountered a similar issue. Tried to film a clip from the DJ Booth, but the Audio makes it unusable. To me it sounds more like a limiter/compressor with slow settings kicks in when music becomes too loud, making things pump real bad.

It would be great to have a manual mic input level setting on the Osmo Pocket, where you can also deactivate any sort of processing that happens on the audio and just hardclip the audio when the input level gets too hot.
2019-3-27
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

Crocodoc Posted at 3-27 04:53
I encountered a similar issue. Tried to film a clip from the DJ Booth, but the Audio makes it unusable. To me it sounds more like a limiter/compressor with slow settings kicks in when music becomes too loud, making things pump real bad.

It would be great to have a manual mic input level setting on the Osmo Pocket, where you can also deactivate any sort of processing that happens on the audio and just hardclip the audio when the input level gets too hot.

There is a manual mic setting. You can choose auto, low, high, etc. For recording sounds with high dynamic range, choose low.
2019-3-27
Use props
Crocodoc
lvl.1
Austria

markr041 Posted at 3-27 09:08
There is a manual mic setting. You can choose auto, low, high, etc. For recording sounds with high dynamic range, choose low.

it is already on low, yet there is a limiter that definitely is active and REALLY low on release time.
2019-3-27
Use props
Crocodoc
lvl.1
Austria

Sorry for doubleposting, but what I'm trying to say is that a level input meter with a gain fader would be far more convenient in my eyes than just 3 gain stages.
2019-3-27
Use props
GabrielGV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 478510 ft
Mexico

I have the same issue.
2019-6-30
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I suspect the level control is digital, after the analog preamp, and therefore if the preamp is overloaded or the mics of course, there's nothing to be done.
2019-6-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules