Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
FAA: Whats The Rule on Helicopters?
1910 21 2019-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bluehook
First Officer
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

In US:

Fairly often (2-3 times a month) I'll observe a random helicopter fly past my house at what appears to be around 100-125 feet.  The majority of my drone flying is from my house and luckily, my drone is never up when this happens.  But I shiver at the thought of one of these helicopters coming by while I'm flying my drone.

Question: is it not against FAA regulations for these helicopters to be flying this low?

2019-3-27
Use props
PS013
Captain
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

14 CFR § 91.119 - Minimum safe altitudes: General

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a)Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b)Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c)Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d)Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface -
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and

(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section
2019-3-27
Use props
Bob Brown
Captain
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Firstly verify that you are not flying illegaly in a NFZ. This would make your life very much suck if something bad happened and you are in violation.

Secondly (if not illegal)
I would contact the local airport manager and let them know that the helicopter's flight path directly conflicts with your drone flight path at or below 400'  and request the notice be sent to all low altitude pilots of your coordinates and area you are flying in. My guess is that pilots from then on will stop flying so low over your flight path if it is not necessary. Also a good idea to add red/white strobes if you have a lot of air traffic in your area. A collision in most cases with a helicopter will destroy your drone and cause catastrophic damage to the helicopter as the drone will surely contact the props; pilot/passenger death will most likely follow shortly after the collision.  I live very close to a class G airport myself and believe it or not communication with the airport manager has his respect as I had consulted him prior to flying drones in the area. (not required but HIGHLY recommended to do it in writing/email so you have some proof of the communication.) I also heal to any low flying aircraft even if I am below the FCC regulated 400'.

Always verify no TFR's and preflight checks are done before every flight!
Fly Safe!
2019-3-27
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

If they're military, they pretty much do what they want to. A couple days ago, six Black Hawks screamed across my house just above the tree tops, my dogs went nuts over the noise - really really LOUD!
This must be a training route, I see them a lot. However, never this low before.
2019-3-27
Use props
Bob Brown
Captain
  • >>>
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 3-27 07:06
If they're military, they pretty much do what they want to. A couple days ago, six Black Hawks screamed across my house just above the tree tops, my dogs went nuts over the noise - really really LOUD!
This must be a training route, I see them a lot. However, never this low before.

Sad... was this over a residential area? Very illegal and FAA should be contacted to investigate. I know they are not bound to the 500' rule but should an incident happen / residential or drone THE HELICOPTER PILOT is at fault. In a court of law a drone pilot (flying legally) , a kid flying a kite or even a large 100' TV antenna would not take the blame. Helicopter pilots know the risks with low altitude flight and thus are responsible for any collisions. (I know a few will flame me but that is what it is.) As a PIC we do our best to avoid and COMMUNICATE with the control tower/airport manager/manned AC pilots.

Keep in mind that Airplanes also violate the 500' rule...
I have had a few 200' flights over my house and honestly I shiver and try to keep my drone reflective and strobes on at all times. Anything I can do to make the drone more visable. If there is more than 2 planes in the sky... I land the drone and fly another day. Just not worth it regardless of fault or FAA laws.
2019-3-27
Use props
BobB
Captain
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

If i was you i would just continue to fly at times you don't see them. I would not contact the FAA for nothing. Just keep doing what you're doing as to not bother them lol but ya make sure you're not in a NFZ
2019-3-27
Use props
Bob Brown
Captain
  • >>>
United States

BobB Posted at 3-27 07:23
If i was you i would just continue to fly at times you don't see them. I would not contact the FAA for nothing. Just keep doing what you're doing as to not bother them lol but ya make sure you're not in a NFZ

Yeah true... FAA really don't care unless there is an incident. Prevention falls upon the pilots.
2019-3-27
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

HI, thanks for the inquiry. We're hoping that you could get the best feedback from our valued DJI Forum members who flying under the FAA regulation. We would recommend always abiding by our local policy to have a peaceful flight. Thank you for continued support.
2019-3-27
Use props
AlansDronePics
Captain
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Although  the island I live on is only about 3 sq miles in area, the airport has an 'X' shaped runway. Infrequently the wind blows over the town and the planes fly very low over the town towards rising ground where the airport is. They fly so low, we can see the passengers faces clearly through the portholes!!!
OK, so I would know by the wind direction not to fly along the approach, but even if I didn't, knowing aircraft could come that way, would stop me flying there at any time when the airport is open.
It is never, ever worth the risk. Over the years I have seen many legal arguments where the person in the right has come off worse. Being right is no guarantee of a good outcome.
How can that be, you are probably asking. The law is the law.
More depends on the skill and cost of the legal team than the rights or wrongs. Many people go to court with a solid case, they win, but never get paid out. Legal bills can be ruinous.
2019-3-27
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've also sporadically heard the sound of helicopters within the vicinity........my cue to bring down the drone immediately as it passes.
2019-3-27
Use props
BobB
Captain
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

SD_Pilot Posted at 3-27 14:56
I've also sporadically heard the sound of helicopters within the vicinity........my cue to bring down the drone immediately as it passes.

yup it's real simple and if everyone did it we would still be flying where we wanted too like the old days dang it!
2019-3-27
Use props
Bluehook
First Officer
United States

PS013 Posted at 3-27 06:47
14 CFR § 91.119 - Minimum safe altitudes: General

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Thanks all for the great info.

How could I go about finding out if there is a "route or altitude specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA" over or near my house, without directly contacting the agency?

2019-3-27
Use props
PS013
Captain
United States

Bluehook Posted at 3-27 21:04
Thanks all for the great info.

How could I go about finding out if there is a "route or altitude specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA" over or near my house, without directly contacting the agency?

That is a good question ....

Your best bet may be to contact your local FSDO ( Flight Standards District Office )
Also, I found this document for you https://www.faa.gov/about/office ... Flying_Aircraft.pdf
2019-3-28
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 3-27 07:12
Sad... was this over a residential area? Very illegal and FAA should be contacted to investigate. I know they are not bound to the 500' rule but should an incident happen / residential or drone THE HELICOPTER PILOT is at fault. In a court of law a drone pilot (flying legally) , a kid flying a kite or even a large 100' TV antenna would not take the blame. Helicopter pilots know the risks with low altitude flight and thus are responsible for any collisions. (I know a few will flame me but that is what it is.) As a PIC we do our best to avoid and COMMUNICATE with the control tower/airport manager/manned AC pilots.

Keep in mind that Airplanes also violate the 500' rule...

Very rural, my closest neighbors are a bunch of cows.
2019-3-28
Use props
Bluehook
First Officer
United States

PS013 Posted at 3-28 04:03
That is a good question ....

Your best bet may be to contact your local FSDO ( Flight Standards District Office )

Thank you.  That is an excellent document which makes the situation perfectly clear.

2019-3-28
Use props
PS013
Captain
United States

Bluehook Posted at 3-28 05:55
Thank you.  That is an excellent document which makes the situation perfectly clear.

You are welcome

2019-3-28
Use props
Dorset_Horn
First Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

I thought this thread could do with a bump. I haven't found anything more recent than twelve months ago. Does anyone know if the regulations with the Civil Aviation in the UK is similar to in the States?
2020-4-16
Use props
Dorset_Horn
First Officer
United Kingdom

The reason for my question was this fly past not long after I had flown the Mavic from the field in the video.

2020-4-21
Use props
Bluehook
First Officer
United States

Dorset_Horn Posted at 4-21 11:34
The reason for my question was this fly past not long after I had flown the Mavic from the field in the video.

Yep.  That's why I started this thread -- that's the sh*t that goes on over my house a few times each month.  You're way quicker on the draw tho - I can never find my phone and even if I do, I can't get the vid going fast enough.

I guess they're allowed to do it/not breaking any law but it's ri-goddamn-diculous.  Just don't tell me that pilots are really THAT freaked-out by drones if they're so casual about regularly flying below 400 feet.

2020-4-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Bluehook Posted at 4-21 17:19
Yep.  That's why I started this thread -- that's the sh*t that goes on over my house a few times each month.  You're way quicker on the draw tho - I can never find my phone and even if I do, I can't get the vid going fast enough.

I guess they're allowed to do it/not breaking any law but it's ri-goddamn-diculous.  Just don't tell me that pilots are really THAT freaked-out by drones if they're so casual about regularly flying below 400 feet.

Yes they are, just ask any one of them, according to them you are not supposed to be there, period.
2020-4-21
Use props
Dorset_Horn
First Officer
United Kingdom

Bluehook Posted at 4-21 17:19
Yep.  That's why I started this thread -- that's the sh*t that goes on over my house a few times each month.  You're way quicker on the draw tho - I can never find my phone and even if I do, I can't get the vid going fast enough.

"quicker on the draw"
This was the only successful capture from a dozen attempts!  I had planted some veggies in the plot and heard the chopper coming. I just got over the cottages then had to run between the sheds to get it just skimming the hill.
2020-4-22
Use props
Dorset_Horn
First Officer
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 4-21 17:26
Yes they are, just ask any one of them, according to them you are not supposed to be there, period.

Coincidentally, where the aircraft just skimmed the hill, was where I had to emergency land my drone when the wind caught it and was taking it off to the coast. (In my rookie days,though, when I didn't know how to overcome a drifting drone situation!).
2020-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules