Mapping Project large area, will need multiple flights and days
3953 6 2019-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lowspark
lvl.1

United States

Good afternoon,
I am trying to plan out a very large mapping project that will be multiple square miles over multiple days.  I was looking to find a program ( i thought litchi might do it) to be able to add in a large polygon, and then have it add in the flight lines and such.  An issue I have had with the DJI app is that when the drone comes back due to lack of battery power, I will swap out the batteries but then it will not go back to where it left off, it will want to start all over again.    So not sure if I need to try and figure out what size of polygon one set of batteries will cover and then dice up the total project to that size.  It seems to me that I am making the harder then it needs to be.  Thank you for your help in advance.
2019-3-27
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Use DJI GSPro (iPad only)
once you setup your flight area, the app calculates the number of batteries neccesary for the mission, approximate flight time and many more useful infos.
If batteries have to be changed, GSPro will resume it's mission on that point where it left off.
2019-3-27
Use props
lowspark
lvl.1

United States

Thank you for your response but I do not have an iPad.  any other options?  And this is a VERY large project, about 10 sq miles, so it will take multiple days.  Just do not want to miss any data.
2019-3-28
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

lowspark Posted at 3-28 06:35
Thank you for your response but I do not have an iPad.  any other options?  And this is a VERY large project, about 10 sq miles, so it will take multiple days.  Just do not want to miss any data.

Then use UgCS (link)
2019-3-28
Use props
DroneMapper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6880 ft
United States

Hello,

I would recommend using GSPro or Map Pilot (both on iOS) for best results with multiple missions. Make sure to get large overlap between each mission area and try to flight each mission around the same times of day with consistent lighting. It is best to try for mid-day when the sun is directly overhead. If you fly with sun one day and cloud the next, you might have trouble with radiometrics and color balance on the file orthomosaic. I would recommend flying at the highest elevation possible to ensure you get enough features in each image frame and minimize the overall number of images. If you are looking for affordable post-processing software, check out dronemapper .. it is free up to 150 images and supports GCP/RTK/PPK/Multi-spectral/etc. Best of luck! Thanks,
JP
2019-3-28
Use props
lowspark
lvl.1

United States

DroneMapper Posted at 3-28 17:40
Hello,

I would recommend using GSPro or Map Pilot (both on iOS) for best results with multiple missions. Make sure to get large overlap between each mission area and try to flight each mission around the same times of day with consistent lighting. It is best to try for mid-day when the sun is directly overhead. If you fly with sun one day and cloud the next, you might have trouble with radiometrics and color balance on the file orthomosaic. I would recommend flying at the highest elevation possible to ensure you get enough features in each image frame and minimize the overall number of images. If you are looking for affordable post-processing software, check out dronemapper .. it is free up to 150 images and supports GCP/RTK/PPK/Multi-spectral/etc. Best of luck! Thanks,

Thank you for your help... I will look into your recommendations.
2019-4-3
Use props
djiuser_5dt0tiDWITBA
New

Mexico

Hello lowspark! I have exactly the same problem as you. Could you fix it? How do you do that?
2020-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules