Traveling through Europe with a DJI Mavic
2098 5 2019-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
styronlauren
lvl.1
United States

Hey guys! I am going to be backpacking through Europe this summer and although I won't be flying the drone in every country that I visit I will be covering a lot of land.
Does anyone have experience traveling with drones in Europe? I am flying into Brussels and going to Netherlands, France, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Slovenia, Czechia, and Hungary.

Before anyone comments with the typical "do your research" I just want to say that I have already purchased fireproof aluminum nameplates, registered the drone with the US registry (and will be taking the paperwork) and I've added the drone to my insurance. I have e-mailed customs at Brussels airport but haven't gotten a response. I am mostly scared of the fact that my drone will get taken away while traveling through customs.

ANY ADVICE WILL HELP
2019-3-27
Use props
guidosaigon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 122484 ft
Vietnam

I live in a communist country in Asia, travel alot.  My drones have never been an issue.....HOWEVER, my LiPo batteries have been checked extensively.  Never check them in your luggage, hand carry them on board,  I also carry a printed copy of the IATA rules.  Flying, of course, is a different subject.  Many EU countries limit you to 120m AGL.  https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/passenger-lithium-battery.pdf
2019-3-27
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United Kingdom

This website will help, https://www.eurocontrol.int/arti ... on-uas-no-fly-areas it contains all of the no fly zones for Europe. As stated carry your drone and batteries on as hand luggage, discharge all of your batteries as low as you can before flying, I normally take mine down to 1% charge. You probably will only be asked for the drone serial numbers in previous communist countries, czech, slovenia and hungary, make sure you declare you have your drone with you when you cross those borders, as you dont want it confiscated. Always ask if you can fly, if not on public land before you fly. Most places I have got a resounding yes as you are being up front about your intentions. Carry your insurance papers with you, as well as a copy of the drone code for each of those countries. If challenged you have provenance that you have carried out the correct due diligence.
2019-3-28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're sure that our valued DJI Forum members would provide further details in regards to flying the drone in Europe. For additional information, you may check as well where are the restricted areas on the said country. Please refer to the link below. May you please always have a safe flight ahead.

www.dji.com/flysafe
2019-3-28
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Customs and security will not be a problem. I fly a lot in europe and never had one problem. I often even do not have to open my handbag in which i carry 2 mavic pros and 5 batteries when going through airportsecurity. Just to be sure i always bring a copy of the purchase receipt with me in case customs ask me where i bought the drones , but mostly when i travel to dodgy countries with banana laws, in europe they never asked me .however ,a lot of countries you are going to visit , you are not allow to fly a drone without permits which are very difficult to get and expensive. Belgium, luxemburg, austria , hungary forget it , almost impossible. Here in the netherlands there are many places you cannot fly , ctr , natura 2000 . Amsterdam no go area. Check out this map. The white you can fly , all coloured area is no go or heavily restricted:
https://kadata.kadaster.nl/dronekaart/
In germany they are very hillarious regarding privacy , so be careful.
2019-3-28
Use props
dronie1965
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I know you asked not to typical research comment , i really asked you to do research . It can save you a lot of money and problems
2019-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules