• >>>
United States

https://www.dji.com/dji-terra
2019-3-28
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

For now it only showing for Phantom 4 RTK, Phantom 4 Pro V2.0, Phantom 4 Pro+ V2.0, Phantom 4 Pro, Phantom 4 Advanced and Phantom 4.
Got it from the Q&A section
2019-3-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I doubt if Mavic owners are their targeted audience.
2019-3-29
Use props
Mike1983
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I own a Mavic 2 and would be interested in this.  It would be interesting to understand why it could only be used by certain drones as I would have thought it would be image post processing software rather than something reliant on the hardware?
Looks very useful.
2019-3-29
Use props
JHollimanPhoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82802 ft
United States

Mike1983 Posted at 3-29 02:11
I own a Mavic 2 and would be interested in this.  It would be interesting to understand why it could only be used by certain drones as I would have thought it would be image post processing software rather than something reliant on the hardware?
Looks very useful.

In the Terra splashpage there is an additional hardware unit added to the Phantom?
2019-3-29
Use props
Mike1983
lvl.2
United Kingdom

JHollimanPhoto Posted at 3-29 02:33
In the Terra splashpage there is an additional hardware unit added to the Phantom?

Ahh I missed that.  Thanks.
2019-3-29
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mike1983 Posted at 3-29 03:08
Ahh I missed that.  Thanks.

And if you thought £579 for a Smart Controller is expensive well... this will be right up alongside the Inspire 2 pricing... This is the P4RTK and I think the module is needed on any of the P4's to be compatible with Terra - perhaps you'd have to send in your existing P4 to be upgraded upon application though I could be wrong.

This is 100% a professional drone package for mapping that seems to be designed for the hardware of the P4 series. We may see something similar for the M2 enterprise interchangeable module but nothing confirmed by DJI on that. I strongly doubt that this will ever work with an M2 Pro or Zoom if that's the case.

2019-3-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day HereForTheBeer. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. As of the moment we do not have any information if the DJI Mavic Series will be a part of the DJI Terra. The DJI Phantom 4 RTK, Phantom 4 Pro V2.0, Phantom 4 Pro+ V2.0, Phantom 4 Pro, Phantom 4 Advanced and Phantom 4 are the only drones supported by the DJI Terra as of the moment. In addition the DJI Phantom 4 does not support 2D Real-time Mapping. Thank you for your support.
2019-3-29
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 3-29 03:33
And if you thought £579 for a Smart Controller is expensive well... this will be right up alongside the Inspire 2 pricing... This is the P4RTK and I think the module is needed on any of the P4's to be compatible with Terra - perhaps you'd have to send in your existing P4 to be upgraded upon application though I could be wrong.

This is 100% a professional drone package for mapping that seems to be designed for the hardware of the P4 series. We may see something similar for the M2 enterprise interchangeable module but nothing confirmed by DJI on that. I strongly doubt that this will ever work with an M2 Pro or Zoom if that's the case.

RTK system is expensive because of its extreme accuracy and how it works...really only see it in highly specialized equipment for surveying exact property lines and underground utilities.  however im sure also alot of military applications given its accuracy and precision being able to use phase of the wave to also increase accuracy.  .    that being said DJI could unlock full 3D GNSS on all recent drones which can greatly improve accuracy in not just X and Y axis but also Z axis (altitude).  but for some reason DJI only activated 2D partial GNSS (united states GPS Lv1 and 2 and Russian Glonass-K) leaving out EU's Galileo system entirely.   

little read on wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_kinematic

however RTK isnt required to do this, only 1 RTK drone listed, rest use 2D partial GNSS which has same accuracy as rest of their products.  
2019-3-29
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 3-29 10:22
RTK system is expensive because of its extreme accuracy and how it works...really only see it in highly specialized equipment for surveying exact property lines and underground utilities.  however im sure also alot of military applications given its accuracy and precision being able to use phase of the wave to also increase accuracy.  .    that being said DJI could unlock full 3D GNSS on all recent drones which can greatly improve accuracy in not just X and Y axis but also Z axis (altitude).  but for some reason DJI only activated 2D partial GNSS (united states GPS Lv1 and 2 and Russian Glonass-K) leaving out EU's Galileo system entirely.   

little read on wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_kinematic

Good to know - thanks for the clarification. I don't use my drones to map but I'm sure many will appreciate this tech
2019-3-29
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-29 09:14
Hello and good day HereForTheBeer. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. As of the moment we do not have any information if the DJI Mavic Series will be a part of the DJI Terra. The DJI Phantom 4 RTK, Phantom 4 Pro V2.0, Phantom 4 Pro+ V2.0, Phantom 4 Pro, Phantom 4 Advanced and Phantom 4 are the only drones supported by the DJI Terra as of the moment. In addition the DJI Phantom 4 does not support 2D Real-time Mapping. Thank you for your support.

why not add mavic lineup to this?  not everyone professional or not wants to haul around a phantom when they can tuck their mavic into any bag with their laptop... specially if they are on foot on day carrying around huge case of gear isn't going to win them over vs a little mavic and laptop.  

i know hard to imagine for some people, maybe even alot of people, but there are alot of places still not well mapped or navigated in this world and mapping an area out may require sending a couple people out on foot and ATV alone.   carrying around a big heavy case around just to deploy a phantom and a laptop isn't going to win them over either..  where as they can tuck a mavic into a backpack they are already bringing with them  and get the work done..
2019-3-29
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 3-29 10:27
Good to know - thanks for the clarification. I don't use my drones to map but I'm sure many will appreciate this tech

i used my mavic air to do mapping of my local area where i work out of sometimes when im on breaks.. and i even done 3D mapping just using a free app on my phone that shoots images every few feet in a grid array pattern then exported those images out and used Meshroom (need an nvidia card either in laptop or desktop where exporting it from) .  need a lot of passes to get clean 3D mapping but it automatically builds structures and stitches it together, more you have the more accurate it is and cleaner.  

you dont need RTK tech to do mapping...  just need to do multiple passes, ideally have a reference point logged so you know offsets.. but even without that i found at most accuracy was within a few inches either way....more passes logged with GPS coordinates the better..
2019-3-29
Use props
fans839ac6f2
lvl.1
United States

It’s very strange if it doesn’t come to support the Magic...I use my Magic for mapping with Drone Deploy and it does an amazing job
2019-4-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules