First Drone Purchase
879 18 2019-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LGB900
lvl.1
United States

Hello,

I've read some of the posts between the two, but I'm looking for a drone that is simple to fly that I can use mostly out doors, but occasionally inside as well.  I have looked at the Tello, but it seems a bit small for outside, doesn't have a lot of the features that a larger one would have, and I would rather put what I would spend, $150 or so, towards something a bit larger such as the Spark.  I'm afraid I would "out grow" the Tello very quickly.  Is the Spark just as easy to learn to fly? I experimented with a La Trax, but it was a bit difficult to learn as it wasn't very stable when hovering, and very limited.  Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Link  
2019-3-29
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Spark is crazy easy to fly and I think is the best starter drone on the market. I started with the Spark and I think many others have as well.  Just make sure to keep it away from metal when turning on and launching and to make sure you get a good GPS signal with home point recorded before launching.  

2019-3-29
Use props
LGB900
lvl.1
United States

KlooGee Posted at 3-29 11:41
The Spark is crazy easy to fly and I think is the best starter drone on the market. I started with the Spark and I think many others have as well.  Just make sure to keep it away from metal when turning on and launching and to make sure you get a good GPS signal with home point recorded before launching.

I'm leaning in that direction. Thanks again!
2019-3-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Link. Welcome to DJI Forum and Thank you for your interest with DJI. The DJI Spark is on of the best drone offered by DJI for consumer purposes. I will be posting a link and some helpful tips on how to fly your drone safely for you to be able to have a happy and safe flight always.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe?site=brandsite&from=nav

2019-3-29
Use props
Warriewoodlad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 625230 ft
Australia

I had 3 drones before I got my Spark. They were much more limited in their performance as a camera platform and required constant attention to fly. Although the Spark is fun to fly too, it is capable of quite stable flight that builds confidence quickly. No AUV is perfect and they all should be constantly monitored, but the Spark (and above) stays where your put it and allows you to take the shot you want.

As to flying the Spark indoors - I never have and probably will not fly it indoors. If I did, I would install the propeller guards 1st.

Be sure to follow the advice of KlooGee above and take out Care Refresh insurance.
2019-3-29
Use props
LGB900
lvl.1
United States

Warriewoodlad Posted at 3-29 13:08
I had 3 drones before I got my Spark. They were much more limited in their performance as a camera platform and required constant attention to fly. Although the Spark is fun to fly too, it is capable of quite stable flight that builds confidence quickly. No AUV is perfect and they all should be constantly monitored, but the Spark (and above) stays where your put it and allows you to take the shot you want.

As to flying the Spark indoors - I never have and probably will not fly it indoors. If I did, I would install the propeller guards 1st.

Thanks for the advice!
2019-3-29
Use props
MccloudSpark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27562 ft

United States

You simple cannot do better than the Spark for the $$.
I have not flown it inside but with its OPTI mode it should do fine (as long as it can "see" contrasting surfaces).  Learn first outside and get comfortable there.
2019-3-29
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Use the prop-guards, inside
Also the RC and another battery is nice to have.
looking for the Combo may be a good idea!
2019-3-29
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Get the Spark, it is good for beginner, easy to learn to fly, the Tello is more like a toy
2019-3-30
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

BTW welcome to the forum LGB900
2019-3-30
Use props
hightechgadgets8
New
Flight distance : 1017 ft
Malaysia

My second week with the spark, it’s definitely the must have for first drone
2019-3-30
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

I agree. Go for the spark.
2019-3-30
Use props
darkfull1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13114 ft
Switzerland

I choose the spark as my first drone and I'm completely convinced. It's easy to fly for a beginner but it's also good for more advance user. It's also cheaper than a Mavic.
2019-3-30
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would say practice flying in 3rd person first in an open field for a while.  Then practice first person.  Flying 3rd person is important when you lose FPV.  You can also slow down the flight speed to Half when starting to get the feel.  Abrupt movements can damage it when it hits something.

If you call an RTH it might land where it's at and if you are over water it's gone.
2019-3-30
Use props
Joller79 DK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26447 ft
Denmark

Well, i would say, keep flying with the latrax, untill you learn how a quad behaves, and how you control it..bacause, WHEN, not iff.. WHEN the spark goes in no gps mode(atti) and starts to deift, and you as a newbie presses return to home , and it does nothing, and then drifts and flies away, like soooo many other beginners inhere have tried...read all posts about flyaways, and most of them are like that...

But if you star with latrax and then have a spark that goes in atti, you know how to control and get it back safe... Just my opinion.  But yes, spark is easy to fly selfie drone, and makes good video and so on
2019-3-30
Use props
CasualDronePilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 146135 ft
Sweden

The Spark is indeed very easy to fly. Before I got the Spark, I got one of those cheapish (but still fairly good) toy drones mostly out of curiosity. Had fun trying fly it (crashed it so many times), but the Spark is much easier to learn. So far no crashes little Sparky. Oh and I would recommend getting a simulator of some sort, if nothing else, just to be able to practice when the weather is crappy. My favourite sim is RealFlight Drone Simulator that comes complete with a controller. But there are other options as well. FPV Freerider is another sim that I tried, cheap and pretty good, but you'll need to provide a USB controller to get the most out of it.
2019-3-30
Use props
LGB900
lvl.1
United States

Appreciate the feedback!
2019-3-30
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Yup, go with the spark