24030 32 2019-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ParideM
Captain
Flight distance : 6103757 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Switzerland had planned to adopt the European Union Regulation on the rules and procedures for the operation of unmanned aircraft (drones) as of 1 July 2020. As a result of the Corona crisis, the EU Commission has decided that the application of Regulation (EU) 2019/947 will be postponed by six months (until 1 January 2021). This means that the current Swiss regulations on the operation of drones will remain in force until the end of 2020.
link: Federal Office of Civil Aviation FOCA

Time: 2018/19, personally only not commercial flight.
DJI Drone: Mavic Air, Mavic 2 pro

How I plan my hikings:

After I chose a destination, I check the Swiss Map to verify that the flight is allowed. I control the weather conditions, I pay attention to the high altitude wind speed, and if it rains or is windy or snowing...I stay at home. I take a look at Google Maps to get an idea of the landscape and I love the Street View function for 360° experience, Google Earth for the position of the sun during my programmed fly also, it's really important.
I check the train schedule, I don't own a car, the travel time and how much does it cost, I look for an hotel room if I need more than one day. If I'm satisfied, I decide to leave.
I prepare my backpack, and I charge the batteries the day before to leave. The backpack weighs? I choose the drone and the number of batteries based on the lenght and difficulty of the hike, or based on high altitude wind speed, or possibility to find interferences due to masts. (Mavic 2 pro VS Mavic Air).
I need a camera or an action camera is enough? I need a tripod, a mini-tripod, or nothing?
I control I picked everything, filters, SD cards, chargers and all the accessories I need like sunglasses, cables, food, water, clothes ecc.
It's all? Let's go!

Application Process:
Drones and model aircraft may not be operated near gatherings of people or beyond direct eye contact. However, the FOCA may issue a permit for such flights under certain circumstances.
For flights with RPAS (500g to 30kg) at a distance closer than 5km to a runway of a Swiss aerodrome and flights with RPAS within the control zone (CTR) of a Swiss aerodrome if exceeding a height of 150m above ground, an authorization is required from the responsible air traffic control unit (aerodromes with control zone) and / or the aerodrome operator (aerodromes without control zone). (Skyguide special flights)
issued exceptionally.

What you should prepare before traveling with a drone in Switzerland:
- Switzerland will adopt the new European drone regulation which will come into force in July 2020. As of this date, there is a registration requirement for drone pilots. The FOCA has started the implementation procedures for the introduction of the European regulations. In the future, this will allow drone pilots to fly according to the same standards throughout the European airspace.
- To operate drones weighing more than 500 g you are obliged to have insurance coverage of at least 1 million Swiss francs.
- It is better to drain batteries and place them in fireproof cases if you take the plane, some airline companies may request it. Don't put batteries in your checked-in luggage but carry them with you.
- The ‘geofencing’ functionality in DJI drones is a geographical restriction of the operational area of the drone that is specified by the manufacturer. The manufacturer’s restrictions might not be identical to the restrictions on use under the applicable national legislation. This means that you must always be aware of local flight restrictions before operating / piloting a DJI drone. Take a look to official OFFICIAL SWISS MAP to verify that you can fly in determinated areas.

Regulations:
- Obligation to keep direct eye contact.
- To become aware of a possible temporary ban (FAO Order, Official Notice Sheet).
- Prohibition to fly in protected areas including the Ordinance on Reserves of Waterbirds and Migratory Birds. An application for authorization (OROEM) can be issued exceptionally.

Drones with a weight of more than 500 grams should also:
(until the end of 2020, after this date will follow European Regulamentation)

- Flights within 5km of a civilian or military aerodrome are subject to authorization by Skyguide.
- Maximum flight height, 150 meters in CTR (control traffic region).
- Minimum distance of 100 meters from a gather of more than 24 people.
- Bring your certificate of liability insurance when stealing a minimum insured amount of 1 million Swiss francs.

Pay attention:
-  My drone weighs less than 500 grams. Does that mean that I can use it without any restrictions?

No. Regulations also apply to the operation of lightweight drones. Although you may in principle fly your drone anywhere other than in the nature conservation zones depicted on the special FOCA map of restricted areas (RPAS Map), you still have to observe certain basic rules. You must maintain eye contact with your drone at all times and observe the principle of protection of privacy. Although you are allowed to operate your drone above gatherings of people, if you cause an accident you will be liable for any resulting damage. In the case of lightweight drones too, the operator is always responsible for their safe use.

Some cantons may apply additional restrictions:
- Prohibition of flying at a distance of less than 300 meters from public buildings unless authorized, Canton of Geneva police official map.
- Prohibition of flying at a distance of less than 300 meters from public buildings unless authorized, Canton of Vaud official map.
- Regulamentation Canton of Luzern.

Recommendations:
Inspect your drone before and after each flight, check the entire frame for cracks including the landing gear and props. Make sure you have sufficient GPS signal and wait for the "Home Point Recorded" message to avoid a fly away, and an adequate RTH altitude setted for a safe return to home.

Always check the weather conditions to find out about wind conditions or if you'll find rain, fog or snow. Cold and high wind drain fast your batteries, and high-altitude winds could generate a "Max motor speed reached" alert which inform you that your drone is in danger.

Apply a fireproof label on the drone with your full name and phone number, it is not required but I recommend it even if you want to fly in other countries, I also applied it on my GoPro, in case of loss.

Drone flights using video eyewear are authorized only when direct eye contact can be established with the drone at any time.

The “see and avoid” principle applies to unmanned aircraft as well. Since an aircraft pilot stands little chance of recognizing a small drone early enough, it is your responsibility to take timely evasive action and always to maintain a proper distance from other aircrafts.
Especially on the mountains, always fly in your line of sight, don't think to be alone all the time, helicopters and other planes you couldn't hear can come close to your drone; they often fly at low altitude leaving you a little reaction time.
https://youtu.be/hUUIy9TCIwgFlying a drone over the scene of an accident to take aerial pictures may impede a rescue helicopter from approaching the site. In addition, rescue services feel that their work is disturbed by drones. It is forbidden to fly a drone in an emergency operation if not instructed to do so by the operation leader.

You could also register your flight on AirMap which will notify SkyGuide of your mission.

It is forbidden to fly drones at low altitude over private properties or public sites where people are gather.

Useful tips:
Bring filters with you, especially on the mountains or if you visit lakes or you find snow, I recommend you polarized filters for reflecting surfaces (i use 32/pl also).

Bring at least two batteries with you and make sure you have an empty and capacious SD card.

Find a way to make a daily backup of your footages; personally I use a backup unit with a SSD.

Bring a landing pad or landing gear and an outdoor first aid kit with you if you want to go hiking on the mountains and don't forget photography glovesin winter time and your sunglasses!

Official links:
- Official Swiss Map restrictions for drones
- Official Geneva Police Map restrictions for drones
- Federal Office of Civil Aviation permits for the operation of drones (FOCA)
- SkyGuide civil air traffic control

Apps and useful links:
- UAV Forecast (weather and hight altitude wind speed also)
- Train (SBB CFF FFS)
- SwitzerlandMobility (Hiking map)
- MySwitzerland (points of interest)

Customs:
- There are no special requirements for getting a drone to Switzerland

Happy flight and fly safe

Saas-Fee
https://youtu.be/_awZ9jp-VPg

Engelber and Titlis Mountain
https://youtu.be/nXhj19thT_8

Matterhorn seen from Gornergrat and Zermatt
https://youtu.be/n5gsVTESBCA

Niederhorn
https://youtu.be/wc2Yyza8oDg

La tour de Famelon
https://youtu.be/ZjOsTGHgsog

Lac de Lioson
https://youtu.be/yAkjpyppO7M

DJI_0039.jpg
DJI_0291.jpg
DJI_0342.jpg
DJI_0449.jpg
DJI_0432.jpg
DJI_0364 copy.jpg
DJI_0279.jpg
DJI_0058.jpg
DJI_0028.jpg
DJI_0373.jpg
DJI_0375.jpg
lac montsalvens.jpg
chateau d'aigle.jpg
Aigle terraces copy.jpg
DJI_0401.jpg
2019-3-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Great job nicely done .
2019-3-31
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Wow, incredible works and amazing strategy. Thanks for sharing!
2019-3-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice entry.
Super useful!
And great images as well!
2019-3-31
Use props
ParideM
Captain
  • >>>
Switzerland

hallmark007 Posted at 3-31 17:05
Great job nicely done .

Thank you!
2019-3-31
Use props
ParideM
Captain
  • >>>
Switzerland

DJI Panda Posted at 3-31 19:21

Glad you like it, many thanks!
2019-3-31
Use props
ParideM
Captain
  • >>>
Switzerland

Montfrooij Posted at 3-31 22:27
Very nice entry.
Super useful!
And great images as well!

Thank you a lot! I hope everything I've been doing is helpful
2019-3-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

ParideM Posted at 3-31 23:34
Thank you a lot! I hope everything I've been doing is helpful

Yeah, one of the best DJI contests I have seen in that regard!
2019-4-1
Use props
JHollimanPhoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82802 ft
United States

Very terrific write-up thank you!
2019-4-1
Use props
ParideM
Captain
  • >>>
Switzerland

JHollimanPhoto Posted at 4-1 01:40
Very terrific write-up thank you!

Thank you, You are welcome!
2019-4-1
Use props
TheDon
Captain
Flight distance : 7951273 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Impressive work you got here! Switzerland is absolutely amazing! Good to know how regulations are at your side
2019-4-1
Use props
ParideM
Captain
  • >>>
Switzerland

TheDon Posted at 4-1 06:45
Impressive work you got here! Switzerland is absolutely amazing! Good to know how regulations are at your side

Thank you! I'm glad to be of service.
2019-4-1
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you so much for the information! I find the map is very useful
2019-4-1
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you so much for the information! Sharing the Offical map is very much appreciated; i hope I’ll use it this summer
2019-4-1
Use props
ParideM
Captain
  • >>>
Switzerland

dronespilot Posted at 4-1 14:12
Thank you so much for the information! I find the map is very useful

You are welcome, glad to be helpful! Enjoy Switzerland!
2019-4-1
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

So detail, useful information! Thanks for sharing. Very nice videos and pictures btw  
2019-4-8
Use props
ParideM
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

Thank you, glad you like it!
2019-4-8
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Great piece of work!
2019-4-9
Use props
ParideM
Captain
  • >>>
Switzerland

ALABAMA Posted at 4-9 07:18
Great piece of work!

Many thanks!
2019-4-11
Use props
ParideM
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

DJI Panda Posted at 3-31 19:21

I reviewed the post, enriching it and improving it. ;-)
2019-4-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Congratulations!
2019-6-3
Use props
ParideM
Captain
  • >>>
Switzerland

Thank you!
2019-6-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome!
2019-6-3
Use props
bradpitcher
New

Hi @ParideM
Can you give any recommendations on how/where to get the liability insurance? I have scoured the internet for this information and am really struggling. There are a number of big Swiss providers but when I try to set it up they demand I have a Swiss address. There are also apps made for the US (my home country) that I have tried, like Verifly, but they don't support Switzerland.
2019-9-6
Use props
ParideM
Captain
  • >>>

bradpitcher Posted at 9-6 10:43
Hi @ParideM
Can you give any recommendations on how/where to get the liability insurance? I have scoured the internet for this information and am really struggling. There are a number of big Swiss providers but when I try to set it up they demand I have a Swiss address. There are also apps made for the US (my home country) that I have tried, like Verifly, but they don't support Switzerland.
I have no idea, I simply added the liability insurance to the obligatory medical insurance for residents of Switzerland. in any case, my insurance company is the CSS and I pay 80chf per year.
2019-9-6
Use props
yoengel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2370988 ft
  • >>>

Since the Mavic Air is less than 500 grams, does this mean I can fly it in Zermatt?
2019-9-16
Use props
ParideM
Captain
  • >>>

yoengel Posted at 9-16 22:19
Since the Mavic Air is less than 500 grams, does this mean I can fly it in Zermatt?
Yes but it is very dangerous because the proximity of AirZermat heliports and a very intense presence of helicopters in the area. So fly always in your line of sight and be ready to a safely return to home!
2019-9-16
Use props
Zubayer.Khan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 770272 ft
Bangladesh

Thanks for the share.
2020-4-19
Use props
Igor K
New
Flight distance : 11345 ft
Israel

Thank you for comprehensive post and beautiful images and videos!Special thanks for SwitzerlandMobility website!
I am planning on visiting Switzerland for 10 days and going to bring MavicAir 2. I am going to use it only in hikes far away from people and cities. I have 2 questions:
1) Were you ever checked on insurance while flying drone?
2) Do you know if Swiss insurance companies have short term insurances? For example the company that you buy your insurse. In any case, I'd appriciate name\contact of insurance company for additional questions
Best regards
Igor

2021-6-1
Use props
LuciMain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 934327 ft
Switzerland

This Thread and these tips are really outdated....

For the most recent regulations check the official website by the FOCA (BAZL) HERE
2023-5-17
Use props
NYC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20169501 ft
United States

incredible shots. Thanks for the advice. Wish I had read before my trip. Also wish I didn't HAVE TO fly my Mavic 3 inside a military bunker. RIP
1-18 16:45
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
Flight distance : 4961155 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great planning and photos. Thanks for the Share.
1-19 07:22
Use props
djiuser_uRtRaaX7bGhe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10203 ft
Australia

Incredibly helpful and succinct summary. Cheers!
1-21 17:53
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules