Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Focus Issue
561 2 2019-3-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc2740eae
Flight distance : 14911 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have had my Mavic Pro over a year or so and at first did not seem to have a problem with focus although I am not sure if it was always as concerning to me as it is now. (What I mean by that is it is possible that the focus problem is more recent and may have occurred as a result a relatively light crash into bushes last year in which there appeared to be no damage except to the propellers). At any rate, I now seem to have a focus issue.. I really don't know if what I am getting should be expected or not. I have listened to many Utube videos on the subject telling me I need to use manual focus (which is hard to use) and where to position the MF meter and why I should not use the infinity icon etc. Also reviewed many forum posts which tend to confuse me so I thought I would just post a new thread. First I should say that my emphasis is landscapes - most of my video is landscapes or people doing things like water skiing. All of my subjects are probably a minimum of 500-1000 feet away.
So to start to educate myself on the proper expectations I should have, I have taken pictures out of my 7th floor condominium at a college across the street (ie the drone is stationary) - again probably 300-1000 feet away. I also took a similar picture with my 5 year old DSLR as a comparison. The attached photos are labeled but below I provide more info: (all firmware is upto date but I have not recalibrated the IMU in a while)

The images can be seen at:  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XzYqMXwiEvw9C6HHvD-9Ska0Ou8iI1Fg?usp=sharing

#1, was using Manual focus and just hitting the infinity icon - really poor focus, - unusable.
#2 was again using Manual Focus but also using the peaking function on high - basically the best I could get it visibly - much better, but still not great.
#3 was using Auto Focus and touching the screen (green focus icon)  at the furthest point (a building in the middle of the image with some sky and some building). The best of the three in my mind.
#4 was my 7 year old  Lumix DSLR on program mode but no sharpening, etc. - this appears to me to be about the same as #3 but since it has more contrast in it, it is hard to compare.

So overall my question is: should I be disappointed in the focus offered by #3 and if so, what might I do to improve it, without replacing my drone. A second question is would the new Mavics announced thia year with "better" cameras, do better?

2019-3-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. I am sorry to know that you are having focus issues with your DJI Mavic Pro. Since this focus issue is happening after a crash. It appears that this issue needs to be diagnosed by our team. You can contact our support team to start up a repair case by using this link: https://www.dji.com/support. Just a friendly reminder that the repair fee would depend on the warranty of the product and the outcome of the assessment. We hope to hear from you soon and looking forward to resolve this as soon as possible. Thank for your support.
2019-3-30
Use props
fansc2740eae
Flight distance : 14911 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-30 11:06
Hello and good day. I am sorry to know that you are having focus issues with your DJI Mavic Pro. Since this focus issue is happening after a crash. It appears that this issue needs to be diagnosed by our team. You can contact our support team to start up a repair case by using this link: https://www.dji.com/support. Just a friendly reminder that the repair fee would depend on the warranty of the product and the outcome of the assessment. We hope to hear from you soon and looking forward to resolve this as soon as possible. Thank for your support.

I may need repair, but the crash was very "soft" and before I take that action, I would like someone to look at my images and tell me if I "deserve" better focus than I am getting with the current state of my Mavic Pro. I just don't remember being so disappointed in my focus when I first got the drone. Did you look at the photos?.
2019-3-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules