Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Lost connection and no RTH
3034 12 2019-3-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8dcd685e
lvl.1

United States

After two years of flying the Mavic, today I fly off to see a house being built about a mile away. I was fairly high and did a "Point of Interest" and started video recording. After a couple of laps I reduced my height and then lost my connection. A minute passed and still not connected. I presed the RTH button on the controller. I got in the car and started driving towards the house and half way there it reconnected and only then started to return home.

I was under the impression that if we got a loss of connection then the quad would immediately RTH ........ mine did not.

Any suggestions.
2019-3-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. Could there have been something in the area that could interfere with radio frequencies in general? Maybe there's an interference on the said location where you flying the Aircraft that interfering the signal from the remote to the Aircraft. You may give a try as well to change different frequency and channels under Image transmission from DJI Go 4 application. For additional reference regarding the RTH. If the Remote Controller will be disconnected to the Drone then the aircraft will locate the home point as long as the GPS and compass signal is working. I would suggest flying your aircraft in an open area and avoid hazardous environment to prevent incident as well as the interruption. Please see the image below for your reference. Thank you for your support.

2019-3-30
Use props
fans8dcd685e
lvl.1

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-30 12:02
Hello and good day. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. Could there have been something in the area that could interfere with radio frequencies in general? Maybe there's an interference on the said location where you flying the Aircraft that interfering the signal from the remote to the Aircraft. You may give a try as well to change different frequency and channels under Image transmission from DJI Go 4 application. For additional reference regarding the RTH. If the Remote Controller will be disconnected to the Drone then the aircraft will locate the home point as long as the GPS and compass signal is working. I would suggest flying your aircraft in an open area and avoid hazardous environment to prevent incident as well as the interruption. Please see the image below for your reference. Thank you for your support.

[view_image]

No interference from random signals since the house is in a new location. How can one test the RTH on loss of signal without jeopardizing the loss of the drone. Why would changing frequency make any difference to RTH on loss of connection?
I just don't buy your answer .
2019-3-30
Use props
fans8ff0065d
New

United States

Mine did same thing.  6 months. Since hav not found it.. search your flight records..maybe you can find with that
2019-3-30
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

There are a couple of things that have to be turned on for RTH to work. Check out the DJI RTH Guide to make sure you have everything turned on. There are more articles like this that aren't DJI authored and may be more helpful but this is the first one I came across.

If you want to test the RTH, you can do a simple test. Take your drone out in the middle of a wide open area, fly it out to 200 feet (so you can still see it) and simply turn off the RC. In a few seconds, it should initiate the RTH procedure. If it doesn't, you can just reboot the RC and fly it back.
2019-3-30
Use props
fans8dcd685e
lvl.1

United States

Paul_IA Posted at 3-30 12:28
There are a couple of things that have to be turned on for RTH to work. Check out the DJI RTH Guide to make sure you have everything turned on. There are more articles like this that aren't DJI authored and may be more helpful but this is the first one I came across.

If you want to test the RTH, you can do a simple test. Take your drone out in the middle of a wide open area, fly it out to 200 feet (so you can still see it) and simply turn off the RC. In a few seconds, it should initiate the RTH procedure. If it doesn't, you can just reboot the RC and fly it back.

Paul

Thanks for suggestion to test RTH . I will do that on Monday.
2019-3-31
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
United States

fans8dcd685e Posted at 3-31 02:26
Paul

Thanks for suggestion to test RTH . I will do that on Monday.

Let us know how the test turned out. I actually ran into a lot of trouble with the latest FW release for the MP and had to revert back to a prior version. In a (long) list of other problems was a problem with RTH not working properly.
2019-3-31
Use props
fans8dcd685e
lvl.1

United States

Paul_IA Posted at 3-31 04:12
Let us know how the test turned out. I actually ran into a lot of trouble with the latest FW release for the MP and had to revert back to a prior version. In a (long) list of other problems was a problem with RTH not working properly.

Well I had a chance to test today. Interesting.

1. Fly off and hover and disconnect and drone flies back in 3-5 seconds as ift kshould.

2. Put the drone into a "Point of interest " and then disconnect and drone continues to fly in circles and never comes back until you reconnect.

I think this is wrong. Software should RTH on loss of contact even if in the middle of a "Point of interest"

Anyone got comments?
2019-3-31
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

fans8dcd685e Posted at 3-31 14:02

1. Fly off and hover and disconnect and drone flies back in 3-5 seconds as ift kshould.

Hi,

Interesting test....there are many other modes to test (tap fly etc...), if RTH only works in normal P-GPS mode....

Time for DJI to react on this finding!

cheers
JJB
2019-3-31
Use props
MavSpa_user
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

fans8dcd685e Posted at 3-31 14:02

In an orbit MP stays in orbit untill battery is low and land, that is known.Also in Litchi:
If signal is lost between the aircraft and the mobile device, the aircraft will continue the Orbit session until it reaches the critical battery level. It will then land in place automatically, even if your failsafe is Return to Home
2019-4-1
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

MavSpa_user Posted at 4-1 00:09
In an orbit MP stays in orbit untill battery is low and land, that is known.Also in Litchi:
If signal is lost between the aircraft and the mobile device, the aircraft will continue the Orbit session until it reaches the critical battery level. It will then land in place automatically, even if your failsafe is Return to Home

But nothing in the MA manual about this.....

is your bold txt from the MP manual?
2019-4-1
Use props
MavSpa_user
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

No JJB its from Litchi manual and since Litchi use DJI SDK it's the same
2019-4-1
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
United States

Probably the programmed behavior, but I agree that it doesn't seem logical. Would think, at the very least, that it would RTH when the minimum battery level is reached to safely return home. Good to know though as this will mean not using flight modes far away from home.
2019-4-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules