Having trouble picking out a drone
636 11 2019-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FrankRizzo
lvl.1

United States

Hi everyone,
My name is Frank 47yrs old, and I am a first time Forum member and I do not own a drone as of this moment and would very much like to become drone pilot for many years now.
To anyone that can help me pick one out I would appreciate it. I have been watching YouTube videos and doing research on some of the DJI products that would most likely work for me. I have it narrowed down to 2 units. Mavic air is 1 and the one I would like to get is mavic pro Platinum. Is it worth getting a platinum at this point....? I really like the Platinum but I am afraid of updates we'll stop soon or not. I am not sure about all of this stuff because I am a newbie LOL any help would be appreciated thank you
Frank
2019-3-31
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Frank. Welcome to DJI Forum and thank you for choosing DJI. Both the DJI Mavic Air and the DJI Mavic Pro Platinum are recommended drones for consumer drone users. I will be providing you a link where you can compare the features, overviews and specifications of both the DJI Mavic Air with the DJI Mavic Pro Platinum. You may also use this link to compare other consumer drones of DJI. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/products/com ... ndsite&from=nav

2019-3-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

High Frank.
This choice is an easy one.
Both are great drones.

In short there is a couple of main differences:
Mavic Air :
- Higher bitrate for video (little bit better in some circumstances)
- Lighter
- Better gimbal design.

Mavic Platinum Pro:
- Much longer battery life
- Better range / stable connection with controller
- Extra dial on controller for exposure changes while you are filming!
- More flight modes

If I might add a drone to the list : Mavic Pro.
I got a nice 2nd hand one for a bargain and have not looked back since.
The only difference with the platinum is 3 minutes of flight time.
Other than that it is exactly the same drone.

I would not worry too much on the updates. Once it is good, it will stay good for a long time.
DJI Go4 will be supported for a long time also!

Good luck!
2019-4-1
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Mavic Pro & platinum camera also rotates 90 degrees to give real portrait mode, better perhaps for some panoramic shots.

The Mavic Pro and Platinum are quieter than the Air, they have a better battery life, and much better range using Occusync wireless protocol. They integrate fully and wirelessly with the DJI Goggles.

Updates ?

The Mavic Pro and platinum are both good solid platforms now that have had umpteen updates to give a mature product. And the model was so good that DJI used that as the base for the Mavic 2 range.
2019-4-1
Use props
FrankRizzo
lvl.1

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-31 10:42
Hello and good day Frank. Welcome to DJI Forum and thank you for choosing DJI. Both the DJI Mavic Air and the DJI Mavic Pro Platinum are recommended drones for consumer drone users. I will be providing you a link where you can compare the features, overviews and specifications of both the DJI Mavic Air with the DJI Mavic Pro Platinum. You may also use this link to compare other consumer drones of DJI. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/products/compare-consumer-drones?site=brandsite&from=nav

Thank you very much I appreciate all the help. Now to pick out the one I want.
2019-4-1
Use props
FrankRizzo
lvl.1

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 4-1 01:42
High Frank.
This choice is an easy one.
Both are great drones.

2019-4-1
Use props
FrankRizzo
lvl.1

United States

Aardvark Posted at 4-1 02:06
The Mavic Pro & platinum camera also rotates 90 degrees to give real portrait mode, better perhaps for some panoramic shots.

The Mavic Pro and Platinum are quieter than the Air, they have a better battery life, and much better range using Occusync wireless protocol. They integrate fully and wirelessly with the DJI Goggles.

2019-4-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

FrankRizzo Posted at 4-1 03:53
Thank you very much I appreciate all the help. Now to pick out the one I want.

Good luck with that.
No wrong choice.
All are great drones!
2019-4-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

FrankRizzo Posted at 4-1 03:52
Thank you very much I appreciate all the help. Now to pick out the one I want.

You are very much welcome FrankRizzo. If you have any other inquiries or concern with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you.
2019-4-1
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 406076 ft
  • >>>
United States

Frank, My two cents, and I started with the Phantom 3, learned on it, and moved to the Mavic Pro.  Man, I was surprised at the the difference flying the Mavic.  It just really is a stable bird, and the photos and videos are extremely good.  I might add that in the mix of all this, I landed an Inspire 1.  It is not as stable as the Mavic, but I have to use it as I have some jobs requiring it.  So, not to ramble any more, you want go wrong with a Mavic!  Let us know what you decide.
2019-4-1
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Also consider the Mavic 2 Zoom which is only $200 more than the Platinum when it is on sale.
2019-4-1
Use props
Pavich
lvl.1
Netherlands

Hi Frank,

Have you made your choice allready?

I have bought my Mavic Pro (Fly More Combo) in december. (Paid € 800 for it on Black Friday.)
Have to say it is getting more and more fun every time I fly this drone.
I really like the flight time and the distance it can fly; no worries and nice footage!

Really happy I didn't choose the Mavic Air, especially for 'the range' reason :-)

Curious what has been your choise!!

Please let us know.

2019-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules