Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Compass Calibration
1773 21 2019-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
crazykelly
lvl.1
Flight distance : 135 ft
United States

I've had a Phantom 3S for a few years, love it. Everytime I flew, I would calibrate the compass as I would fly a different place each time. Now, with my Mavic Air, I rarely am allow to do that. I push the 'non active' icon and I can't force it. Now and then, it makes me but I cannot over ride when it doesn't ask me. Is this normal?

2019-3-31
Use props
KlooGee
Captain
Flight distance : 16641309 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don’t know the answer to your specific question about whether it’s normal, but in my opinion, doing a recalibration each time is not a good idea.  Once you get a good calibration, it shouldn’t be necessary under most circumstances. It just opens up the possibility of accidentally calibrating in some bad settings if you accidentally have some interference when doing it.
2019-3-31
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

"I push the 'non active' icon"

Do you mean the Compass Icon?   Or
Do you mean after going through Advance Menu to Sensors to Compass, you are not allowed to select calibrate compass?

2019-3-31
Use props
JHollimanPhoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 82802 ft
United States

KlooGee Posted at 3-31 20:13
I don’t know the answer to your specific question about whether it’s normal, but in my opinion, doing a recalibration each time is not a good idea.  Once you get a good calibration, it shouldn’t be necessary under most circumstances. It just opens up the possibility of accidentally calibrating in some bad settings if you accidentally have some interference when doing it.

I am asked to re-calibrate nearly every time I start up the AC.
2019-3-31
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

JHollimanPhoto Posted at 3-31 22:17
I am asked to re-calibrate nearly every time I start up the AC.

Seen similar with Mavic Pro P when I was using either iPhone or iPad.  Pesky compass calibrations went away when switched to CrystalSky for SmartDevice.
Not saying problem was with Apple products.  Quite possibly problem was between iOS version of GO-4 App and firmware running on MPp & RC.
CrystalSky runs DJI's customized version of Android OS, and tends to run a behind current (aka older/unique?) version of GO-4 App.
2019-3-31
Use props
FarNorth
lvl.1
Flight distance : 820 ft
Sweden

Hej !
I have had lately a bit of a strange reaction of my Mavic Air. Previously, it would ask me for a compass calibration every time I put it on or change launching location. This has stopped and for the last 3-4 flights it didn't ask me to calibrate the compass even though I flew it from a place 8 klm (around 5 miles ?) away from the last calibration location. Can it be that the last calibration was that successful that it still holds ? Or is it  just that the Go4 App missed asking me and I have to do it anyway ?
However, I haven't noticed any problems during the flights..
2019-4-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

FarNorth Posted at 4-13 06:08
Hej !
I have had lately a bit of a strange reaction of my Mavic Air. Previously, it would ask me for a compass calibration every time I put it on or change launching location. This has stopped and for the last 3-4 flights it didn't ask me to calibrate the compass even though I flew it from a place 8 klm (around 5 miles ?) away from the last calibration location. Can it be that the last calibration was that successful that it still holds ? Or is it  just that the Go4 App missed asking me and I have to do it anyway ?

It seems sensors are very finely set on Mavic Air , asking more often for compass calibration, generally speaking its almost never needed to calibrate compass, but with both Mavic 2 and Mavic Air it’s virtually impossible to calibrate wrong as aircraft will not allow you take off until calibration is performed correctly .

With older dji craft like Mavic Pro phantom etc this was not the case and it was quite possible to calibrate wrong parameters so manuals at the time insisted only calibrate when prompted, for some craft this has changed, Mavic Pro , every 50km , for spark and phantom only when app tells you.

So making assumptions here, i think new dji craft have better tech regarding compass and compass problems, so continually calibrating compass will not do any harm.

The clear proof of this is in the very low numbers of M2 and MavAir having any crashes due to compass problems, I also know compass in new craft is much better sealed leading to much less problems, and when you take into consideration that both P4Pro and Mavic Pro have two compasses , it shows how much better compass hardware and tech is in MavAir and M2.

I have and still do use both iPhone and Crystalsky with MavAir and I continually get asked to calibrate, but in 14 months not a single compass problem. Happy Days ...
2019-4-13
Use props
SeanGalbraith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 891404 ft
  • >>>
Canada

This has been an ongoing problem with mine since I bought it over a year ago. I've never seen a fix, and it is incredibly annoying.
2019-4-13
Use props
USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702)
First Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Is there any need to calibrate compass with the camera facing DOWN???  Instructions say to do this....I've never done it this way (and never had a problem).
2019-4-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

FarNorth Posted at 4-13 06:08
Hej !
I have had lately a bit of a strange reaction of my Mavic Air. Previously, it would ask me for a compass calibration every time I put it on or change launching location. This has stopped and for the last 3-4 flights it didn't ask me to calibrate the compass even though I flew it from a place 8 klm (around 5 miles ?) away from the last calibration location. Can it be that the last calibration was that successful that it still holds ? Or is it  just that the Go4 App missed asking me and I have to do it anyway ?

Any changes to your Mavic Air between times it used to demand compass calibrations every time and Mavic Air not demanding compass calibrations?

Possibly...
Updated Mavic Air Firmware?  
New version of GO-4?  
Added something to Mavic Air like a tracker or LED lights?
Different SmartDevice (phone or tablet)?
2019-4-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

SeanGalbraith Posted at 4-13 08:40
This has been an ongoing problem with mine since I bought it over a year ago. I've never seen a fix, and it is incredibly annoying.

I can understand your frustration.  My first Mavic Pro P when using iPhone or iPad would usually call for compass to be calibrated on every flight or at least first flight of day.   After getting CrystalSky, no longer got annoying compass calibration messages.

Suspect problem was with GO-4 and/or iOS.  Being CrystalSky ran a different version of GO-4 and Android OS.  
2019-4-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702) Posted at 4-13 10:23
Is there any need to calibrate compass with the camera facing DOWN???  Instructions say to do this....I've never done it this way (and never had a problem).

Facing down as in commanding gimbal to tilt camera downward, with drone's nose facing forward?  
-OR-
With with gimbal tilted upward, holding nose of drone downward, resulting in camera facing downward?
2019-4-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702) Posted at 4-13 10:23

You can calibrate with camera facing down or up and same with horizontal calibration camera pointing in or out .
2019-4-13
Use props
cutis
Captain
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-13 12:05
Any changes to your Mavic Air between times it used to demand compass calibrations every time and Mavic Air not demanding compass calibrations?

Possibly...

Yes! Before the march2019 mavic air updates to apk, craft, rc, batteries, the nag was consistent legitimately but cal'd allowing launch. Afterwards nag ceased unless purposefully elicited (ferrous in concrete, an or interferences). It would appear updates made finicky nags go-away but not legit ones due to interferences.
There was battery algorithms fw update following above updates march2019.
Thats the last updates in my gear altho i believe another apk revisal and panama fw debuted after.
2019-4-13
Use props
FarNorth
lvl.1
Flight distance : 820 ft
Sweden

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-13 12:05

Possibly...

Hi, thanks.
Actually nothing of the above. I have everything updated to latest versions and nothing added to the craft.
I checked the manual and it says that needs recalibration when travelling 50 klm or longer from the last calibration area.
Since i havent noticed any problems during flying i will not do any calibration until it asks me to.
2019-4-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

FarNorth Posted at 4-13 13:40
Hi, thanks.
Actually nothing of the above. I have everything updated to latest versions and nothing added to the craft.
I checked the manual and it says that needs recalibration when travelling 50 klm or longer from the last calibration area.

And that is the correct approach to take, your craft is well equipped to both warn of magnetic interference or if your compass needs calibration.

Calibration gives the compass the information it needs to determine which magnetic influences are part of the Mavic and what is the earth's normal magnetic field.
The compass doesn't lose calibration and doesn't ever need re-calibration unless you add or remove equipment to/from the Mavic

So yes when app informs you calibrate .
2019-4-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

FarNorth Posted at 4-13 13:40
Hi, thanks.

Reason I asked, trying to come up with the "Why".  Why did Mavic Air suddenly stop calling for it's compass to be re-calibrated.  Good it did.   Knowing the "Why" might (or might not) help others.

At this point, I would not do any compass calibrations (might jinx it) - unless Mavic Air / GO-4 calls to do so.  Or you start seeing problems possible related to compass.  If you think there is a problem related to compass, and compass needs calibrating, I would do it.

Thanks to numerous problems scatted out between my Mavic Pro Ps, R.C.s, & CrystalSkys, along with testing; I have calibrated my three different Mavic Pro P drones numerous times without problems, even if MPp / GO-4 was not calling for calibration.  Being compass(s) are electronic magnetic field strength detectors in 3-axis of X,Y,&Z, end result is an update to data stored (1s & 0s) on drone to correct for deviations from Earth's magnetic field.

Anyway, it is great you no longer being nagged by compass calibrations.

2019-4-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

cutis Posted at 4-13 12:37
Yes! Before the march2019 mavic air updates to apk, craft, rc, batteries, the nag was consistent legitimately but cal'd allowing launch. Afterwards nag ceased unless purposefully elicited (ferrous in concrete, an or interferences). It would appear updates made finicky nags go-away but not legit ones due to interferences.
There was battery algorithms fw update following above updates march2019.
Thats the last updates in my gear altho i believe another apk revisal and panama fw debuted after.

So maybe the March 2019 mavic air firmware update resolved compass calibration Nags for you and FarNorth.  Hopefully, others will have similar experience.  

The compass calibration Nags I experienced when I first got my Mavic Pro P, got so bad, I would do one compass calibration at start of a flying day, and ignore any more nags.  The nags appeared to be tied to iOS version of GO-4 App.  But I never isolated problem.  To many other issues to mess with.

Thanks for reply.  
2019-4-13
Use props
cutis
Captain
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-13 14:29
So maybe the March 2019 mavic air firmware update resolved compass calibration Nags for you and FarNorth.  Hopefully, others will have similar experience.  

The compass calibration Nags I experienced when I first got my Mavic Pro P, got so bad, I would do one compass calibration at start of a flying day, and ignore any more nags.  The nags appeared to be tied to iOS version of GO-4 App.  But I never isolated problem.  To many other issues to mess with.

Gosh, forgot about hemispherical nonworkability.
At south pole, compass points into the ice flooring?
2019-4-13
Use props
USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702)
First Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 4-13 12:30
You can calibrate with camera facing down or up and same with horizontal calibration camera pointing in or out .

It's just odd that DJI officially states to 'hold aircraft vertically with nose pointing downward".

Interestingly they also require/recommend re-calibration everytime you relocate more than 10 kms from your last calibration position.  They change such things without any explanation...so nose down orientation might actually mean something....?????
2019-4-14
Use props
Boffin
First Officer
Australia

cutis Posted at 4-13 15:58
Gosh, forgot about hemispherical nonworkability.
At south pole, compass points into the ice flooring?

At the South Pole, every way that you look is north - Interesting problem (apart from the cold)
2019-4-15
Use props
cutis
Captain
United States

Boffin Posted at 4-15 00:48
At the South Pole, every way that you look is north - Interesting problem (apart from the cold)

so cant cal compass sitting right over south pole then?identically, cant cal compass sitting right over north pole?

and deductively, the further away from these two, aside mankind interference, cal compass is readily more achieveable?
2019-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules