Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark lost
1182 32 2019-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
boydusmaczoidus
lvl.3
Slovenia

Hi Guys,

Sad to say that I lost my little sparkie a couple of days ago. Here is the sequence of events...

A week ago, I had to return my phone for repair, and (i know i know) flew with just the RC - actually that was fine for a while, but I had
a fly away - it was very close to me, then it suddently launched into the air up very high, and flew off - I finally managed to control it
and recover - but very scary moment! OK OK no more flying without a phone!!

Fair enough, so I ordered an iPad mini 4 which arrived on Friday, and it was off to a very nice location near Ljublajna for a test flight. I am very careful and
take a list of things to do prior to and following take-off. Cleaning the sensors, making sure the home point is set, being well away from powerlines, and of course BIRDS!! The spark took off, GPS all fine, everything looked good. So i placed it into Tripod mode and slowly went up to the max 120m to get a nice overview (in fact I had mistakenly not updated that max altitude due to this being a brand new iOs device, so I believe that it was 150m - anyway, it only got up to 120m or so).

Now i started to get some errors. I did manage to get the flight log off the iPad (note to users of iTunes 12.7 or above - the apps cannot be accessed the 'old' way but instead you need to go to the file sharing option and access the app from there - took yonks to find that out!) - and uploaded it to airdata.com, which provides a nice view of all the errors and other data). I got various compass errors, GPS errors and an ATTI mode switch. The RC then disconnected, and due to the drone being so high, I completely lost sight of it. And of course no connection to the drone at all, so I had no idea where it was or what it was doing. Must admit that I really sortof panicked and just hoped it would return to home, as it is supposed to do. But no cigars.

Im not sure how to upload my flight log to this sight, so would appreciate someone telling me how to do that.

Of course I wandered around the fields looking for the poor sparkie, but to no avail. No internet connection on my phone so the find my drone option was not helping - anyway there was no connection to the RC so not much help there.

I was thinking perhaps that it may have been due to having placed a small white drone strobe on the bottom of the battery, as I did that just prior to the first fly away last week - its the only thing i can think that has changed. Perhaps some sort of interference from that small strobe? Unlikely I know.
I have already ordered a new Spark due to reading here that without the drone, very little chance of receiving a replacement.  All I really need is some analysis of this problem in order to avoid such issues in the future. Perhaps aspects such as calibrating the compass more regularly (although I only got the warning when the drone was up high). I suppose the other issue is the line-of-sight rule, in that, Is that rule applicable for height as well as distance from yourself? I suppose logically it should be because I really cant see it when it gets up to 100m in height or so (but the view is so damm good up there!!) - the drone was lost when only 2 m horizontal distance from myself. Ironically, I had bought the strobe to improve this issue! There certainly were no big power lines around, so I cant see how the loss could have been due to significant signal interference from other sources.

Anyway, any advice about this and of course how to upload the flight log greatly appreciated

2019-4-1
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

use this link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

cheers
JJB
2019-4-1
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Sorry to read that mate
2019-4-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day boydusmaczoidus. I am sorry to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Spark. Since this issue has happened. It appears that this issue needs to be diagnosed by our team. You can contact our support team to start up a case by using this link: https://www.dji.com/support. We highly recommend syncing your flight records using the DJI GO 4 app and contact our support for our team to provide an appropriate solution and initiate the investigation. The resolution for this issue would depend on the warranty of the product and the outcome of the investigation. Just a reminder that if the warranty of the said drone has already expired then DJI will not be able to perform a data analysis for the said drone. Thank you.
2019-4-1
Use props
62+
Captain
Flight distance : 1321991 ft
South Africa

Sorry about your loss
2019-4-1
Use props
boydusmaczoidus
lvl.3
Slovenia

Thanks for the kind words peeps.

Here is the link....

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/R15BNUDWMCZ0MJYN79MF/

A few compass errors and then major yaw errors up at 100m altitude or so - perhaps winds were significantly stronger up there?
2019-4-1
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

boydusmaczoidus Posted at 4-1 11:00
Thanks for the kind words peeps.

Here is the link....

Hi,

After some errors your Spark went into ATTI, at 3.2 meters away from HP and at a height of 104 meter.
If only you had lowered your Spark that time.

No sign of RC contact loss in the beginning of your flight, mayby just the video you lost??

Spark in ATTI drifted away, at 274 meter away disconnect and started an autolanding.
Got connected again for few seconds, than again disconnected.
edit / delete this brainfart: Guess the connection time was to short for the SW to cancel autolanding and perform a RTH.edit / new: ofcourse no RTH as the autolanding was done in ATTI.

Spark cannot be far from last recorded postion (landing and drifting), my guess is the orange marking on the map.
Hope you can find it!
Why these error? no idea, its the cascading sequence of errors wich end switching into ATTI. (in ATTI no RTH possible)
After 42s the first CompassError,
At 1m37 a warning in the app "Compass interference. Please move the aircraft away from potential interference source or calibrate the compass"
Again this error at 1m39 and 1m40.
Followed by Yaw error, thus ATTI.

BTW "nice" example of Spark autolanding loosing RC connection (after 15 seconds) when in ATTI mode.
cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
2019-4-1
Use props
boydusmaczoidus
lvl.3
Slovenia

Brilliant analysis there JJB - muchos thanks for that!

Very interesting - I will cycle down that way tomorrow and have a look for it, let you know....

All very strange with the errors because it was basically out in the countryside, a very large field, no power lines nearby. Hence wondering if the strobe light stuck on the battery may have been
causing issues.

The yaw errors would be caused by what, wind gusts?
I did check the wind before going, very mild, but perhaps at 100m they are significantly increased.

So one lesson here would be if it goes into ATTI, then immediately lower to get visual (and low enough to see the indicator lights, to get orientation).

Perhaps another lesson would be to note the wind direction prior to taking off, to give an idea where to look for a drone in such cases.

Any thoughts on whether line of sight also means in a vertical direction? In which case, which would seem logical, no flights above, say 75 m or so, technically?
2019-4-1
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

boydusmaczoidus Posted at 4-1 12:29
Brilliant analysis there JJB - muchos thanks for that!

Very interesting - I will cycle down that way tomorrow and have a look for it, let you know....

Hi,

I fly with a gps tracker on top of my spark, no compass problems.
Guess that is the same for a stobe light mounted on top.

It happens sometimes to a Spark to get compass error, yaw en speed errors and into ATTI.
The first short compass error spike at 10 meters height.
First warning compass interference at 39 meter height.

For some reason this type of error is often follewed by yaw errors, not due to wind i think.
IMU getting mis-information and other errors popping up.

When getting the first compass warning or others : always fly back and land !  Not always but often it ends in ATTI.

LOS is the line RC>Drone, so flying jus above the RC ; adjust the antennes as described in the manual.

If video siganl is lost than the telemetry data is still there, so use the compass arrow to fly back ahome.

cheers
JJB
2019-4-1
Use props
Wolferl
Captain
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

Hi

Another victim of the Spark's IMU problem, I feel sorry for you.
Open up a case with DJI, they definitely should give you a new Spark.
When you get your new bird, please consider this thread and do some ATTI mode training.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2019-4-1
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wolferl Posted at 4-1 23:27
Hi

yes,  should we give a name to phenomenon ;  the SPARK IMU confusion error  
2019-4-2
Use props
boydusmaczoidus
lvl.3
Slovenia

JJB* Posted at 4-1 22:55
Hi,

I fly with a gps tracker on top of my spark, no compass problems.

Hi JJB,

Which GPS tracker do you use, if you don't mind me asking? The small drone strobe was placed on the bottom of the battery, so I would guess even less likely that it was an issue.

In retrospect, I think I should have done a re-calibration prior to this flight. On the second-last flight, which only just resulted in a rescue after a fly away, the drone initially did not maintain stable hovering. So likely some issues with calibration.

Regarding LOS, I did alter the position of the antennae to attempt to get the signal back, but it never did come back. Of course, because I did not know where the drone was exactly, that was tricky. Can't recall having telemetry despite the lack of video, but I really was in a bit of a panic mode so it may have been there.

All very good advice anyway. Certainly this has been a learning experience, I've only been flying for a few months, and despite being careful, it seems this rabbit hole is pretty deep!
2019-4-2
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

boydusmaczoidus Posted at 4-2 03:00
Hi JJB,

Which GPS tracker do you use, if you don't mind me asking? The small drone strobe was placed on the bottom of the battery, so I would guess even less likely that it was an issue.

see this > https://forum.dji.com/thread-173375-1-1.html
Cancel Spark and go for a MA?

2019-4-2
Use props
boydusmaczoidus
lvl.3
Slovenia

Wolferl Posted at 4-1 23:27
Hi

Thanks Wolferl!

Interesting video, is that option also available for Mac OS? I do like the idea of being able to adjust
some of the parameters, I do some raspberry pi style programming and various hacking projects so this stuff suits me nicely!

I did learn to fly with a cheaper indoor drone prior to investing in the sparkie. But of course, with all the GPS functionality, those skills are lost pretty quickly - so this ability to quickly change to ATTI seems like a really good idea, just to keep those skills up and avoid going into panic mode when the spark itself switches into ATTI.

So you think that ultimately it's an IMU issue? Sounds almost like the current MCAS Boeing problems - computer being fed inaccurate data and no redundancy - assumedly because it is the 'cheaper' product...
2019-4-2
Use props
boydusmaczoidus
lvl.3
Slovenia

Guys!! And to JJB especially....

I went back to the location and there it was!! Pretty much *exactly* where you suggested - just fired it up with a new battery, and seems to operate without any issues at all
2019-4-2
Use props
boydusmaczoidus
lvl.3
Slovenia

The last part of that message was missing for some reason...

The gist was that I wanted to say a massive thanks for all the help - I will carry out a test flight and check everything is ok - the sensors appear to be not giving errors, but I would
guess a compass calibration is at least in order...I may fly with the battery with no strobe attached firstly, then with the strobed battery, see if there may be an issue there. And of course
follow all the advice given.

But great news anyway, thanks everyone
2019-4-2
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

boydusmaczoidus Posted at 4-2 05:56

I went back to the location and there it was!! Pretty much *exactly* where you suggested - just fired it up with a new battery, and seems to operate without any issues at all

Great news!  
My "where-does-it-land-algorithm" does work !! thanks for reporting back.

cheers
JJB

2019-4-2
Use props
boydusmaczoidus
lvl.3
Slovenia

Seems like that algorithm must be up for some sort of award?

Anyway, I would say I owe you a beer, or THREE!!
2019-4-2
Use props
stuka75
First Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

boydusmaczoidus Posted at 4-2 03:00
Hi JJB,

Which GPS tracker do you use, if you don't mind me asking? The small drone strobe was placed on the bottom of the battery, so I would guess even less likely that it was an issue.

Others including myself have noted problems with the strobe mounted on the battery. Particularly confusing the sensors. Whether that had any affect on the yaw errors is questionable.
2019-4-2
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

boydusmaczoidus Posted at 4-2 09:11
Seems like that algorithm must be up for some sort of award?

Anyway, I would say I owe you a beer, or THREE!!

thanks, 1 beer is enough.

When you are in Holland you can buy me one ;-)

cheers
JJB
2019-4-2
Use props
boydusmaczoidus
lvl.3
Slovenia

stuka75 Posted at 4-2 09:21
Others including myself have noted problems with the strobe mounted on the battery. Particularly confusing the sensors. Whether that had any affect on the yaw errors is questionable.

Interesting  - so in fact the strobe affixed to the bottom of the battery could be causing some issues?

I will have a test flight with and (carefully) without the strobe and let you know...
2019-4-2
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Captain
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Great news. I’m happy you found it.
2019-4-2
Use props
nilanjan118
First Officer
Flight distance : 636663 ft
Japan

JJB* Posted at 4-1 11:42
Hi,

After some errors your Spark went into ATTI, at 3.2 meters away from HP and at a height of 104 meter.

Excellent analysis once again JJB. Good to see that the OP could find his Spark with your help. Btw, could you please explain what all the markers mean on the image you shared. Apart from the orange marker, there are a couple of white and red markers too.
2019-4-2
Use props
62+
Captain
Flight distance : 1321991 ft
South Africa

JJB* Posted at 4-2 06:16
Great news!  
My "where-does-it-land-algorithm" does work !! thanks for reporting back.

JJB you are a true expert. I have been following your analysis many, many times.
So glad that the Spark has been found.
I'm in my mid sixties and my l working live have   been and even today in electronics and technology. Being the proud owner of a Spark  for almost a year now it is best fun and a very addiltive hobby.
To all the pilots... Have fun and fly safe.
Greetings from South Africa.
2019-4-2
Use props
Blu Zap
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41814 ft
United States

Congratulations! Glad you found it!
2019-4-2
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

nilanjan118 Posted at 4-2 16:19
Excellent analysis once again JJB. Good to see that the OP could find his Spark with your help. Btw, could you please explain what all the markers mean on the image you shared. Apart from the orange marker, there are a couple of white and red markers too.

Hi nilanjan,

FRAP generates these markers, in GE you can read what they are for.

Start flight and HP are markings, and every 10% batt level is marked by 9, 8, 7 etc... (times 10 to get value)

cheers
JJB
2019-4-2
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

62+ Posted at 4-2 20:54
JJB you are a true expert. I have been following your analysis many, many times.
So glad that the Spark has been found.
I'm in my mid sixties and my l working live have   been and even today in electronics and technology. Being the proud owner of a Spark  for almost a year now it is best fun and a very addiltive hobby.

Hi 62+,

Thanks for the compliment. I do not see myself as an expert though.
Just combining data, logical thinker and happen to have some knowledge about aircrafts etc

cheers
JJB
2019-4-2
Use props
nilanjan118
First Officer
Japan

JJB* Posted at 4-2 22:44
Hi nilanjan,

FRAP generates these markers, in GE you can read what they are for.

Thanks for the explanation JJB. Could you please help with locating another drone? I PMed you the details.
2019-4-2
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

nilanjan118 Posted at 4-2 23:46
Thanks for the explanation JJB. Could you please help with locating another drone? I PMed you the details.

yep, answered.
as there is no personal info in this, see the orange maker.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2019-4-2
Use props
ArnoSpark
First Officer
Kenya

JJB* Posted at 4-1 11:42
Hi,

Sorry for the incident and what a great analysis, and really we have to salut you for your kind help in this case SPARK official Locator, well done man
2019-4-2
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Captain

Croatia

Whay a happy ending story.
2019-4-3
Use props
boydusmaczoidus
lvl.3
Slovenia

Thanks for all the kind words and yes JJB is a legend!

Regarding use of the strobe attached to the bottom of the battery, is there a link to an apparent discussion about it causing interference with the Spark sensors? I can't find anything on this area
via a general search...
2019-4-3
Use props
nilanjan118
First Officer
Japan

JJB* Posted at 4-2 23:50
yep, answered.
as there is no personal info in this, see the orange maker.

Thanks a lot mate.
2019-4-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules