Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ascending Darkness: DLog-M / Graded Comparison
12Next >
2866 44 2019-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LUX.aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1787402 ft
United States

I have always found these before-and-after videos of ungraded to graded footage to be entertaining. Plus, it also goes to show just how versitile the DLOG-M format can be. So, here’s a comparison vid of my most recent project, “Ascending Darkness.” Thanks all.

2019-4-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day LUX.aerial. Thank you for sharing this side by side DLog-M / graded comparison video with us today. You did an amazing video. Congratulations.
2019-4-1
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice. Are you using DaVinci?
2019-4-1
Use props
LUX.aerial
Second Officer
United States

Woe Posted at 4-1 18:27
Nice. Are you using DaVinci?

Nah, nothing so advanced. I wish I was, though. My old laptop can’t even play 4K videos without stalling/crashing, so editing them is outta the question. I do all my editing and grading on a an iPad Pro (3rd gen), typically with an app called LumaFusion.
2019-4-2
Use props
BHProductions
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43018593 ft
United States

That is pretty cool Lux. I think I'll try color grading in a future project.
2019-4-2
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

LUX.aerial Posted at 4-2 13:18
Nah, nothing so advanced. I wish I was, though. My old laptop can’t even play 4K videos without stalling/crashing, so editing them is outta the question. I do all my editing and grading on a an iPad Pro (3rd gen), typically with an app called LumaFusion.

That's cool. Are you using Luts?
2019-4-2
Use props
LUX.aerial
Second Officer
United States

Woe Posted at 4-2 18:06
That's cool. Are you using Luts?

For most of my footage, yes I’m using a LUT as a starting point for my color grading. Occasionally I do find that creating a unique color lookup table (1D) is needed which I can create from any photo. But, that takes time and 1D LUTS are extremely limited in their usefulness.  Making 3D LUTs is beyond my skill set and technical equipment, but 3D LUTS are really the way to go. So, for the most part, I use LUTS from SpectrumGrades. Their LUTS are the best I’ve found, both in terms of quality and versatility.
2019-4-2
Use props
LUX.aerial
Second Officer
United States

BHProductions Posted at 4-2 14:37
That is pretty cool Lux. I think I'll try color grading in a future project.

If you’re thinking of using LUTS, I’d recommend you change your style preferences to some more like +1 sharpness, -2 or -3 contrast, 0 saturation. Having mostly flat footage majorly aids  in the reduction of digital noise, especially when shooting in low light scenarios.  But there is a drawback to that as well though, namely it’s going to take longer to grade that footage well because of the reduction of contrast.  But, if you take your time do it right the results are pretty amazing.
2019-4-2
Use props
BHProductions
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43018593 ft
United States

LUX.aerial Posted at 4-2 19:42
If you’re thinking of using LUTS, I’d recommend you change your style preferences to some more like +1 sharpness, -2 or -3 contrast, 0 saturation. Having mostly flat footage majorly aids  in the reduction of digital noise, especially when shooting in low light scenarios.  But there is a drawback to that as well though, namely it’s going to take longer to grade that footage well because of the reduction of contrast.  But, if you take your time do it right the results are pretty amazing.

cool! thanks for the tips!
2019-4-2
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Very impressive work. Thanks for sharing.
2019-4-3
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent comparison - grading really makes it pop
2019-4-3
Use props
LUX.aerial
Second Officer
United States

DJI Panda Posted at 4-3 00:15
Very impressive work. Thanks for sharing.

Panda Bear, thanks for all you do. And all the kind people who work behind the scenes at DJI, thank you. I hope you are well.
2019-4-3
Use props
LUX.aerial
Second Officer
United States

A J Posted at 4-3 00:18

Thanks AJ. Grading isn’t difficult, but it does require a few things: time, an eye for color and the discernment to recognize when “enough is enough.” I’m still trying master that last bit. Haha.
2019-4-3
Use props
JHollimanPhoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82802 ft
United States

I did not know there was a difference between 3D and 2D lut.
2019-4-3
Use props
LUX.aerial
Second Officer
United States

JHollimanPhoto Posted at 4-3 05:51
I did not know there was a difference between 3D and 2D lut.

I meant 1D LUT. 1D Luts are excellent for setting contrast, the white point of a display, or overall color balance adjustments  but they dont convey the complexities  necessary  for creating a good looking image when grading.
2019-4-3
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LUX.aerial Posted at 4-3 05:46
Thanks AJ. Grading isn’t difficult, but it does require a few things: time, an eye for color and the discernment to recognize when “enough is enough.” I’m still trying master that last bit. Haha.

You're doing a fine job LUX - looks good enough to me mate
2019-4-3
Use props
Sayhelloforme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Great job. Thanks for posting.
2019-4-3
Use props
Sayhelloforme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

2019-4-3
Use props
reshma123
New

India

check details for jee main answer key 2019  visit jeemainadmitcard2019.in
2019-4-3
Use props
LUX.aerial
Second Officer
United States

Sayhelloforme Posted at 4-3 19:06

“Hello!” There, I said it for you. Hehe!

Thanks for the encouragement. I really do appreciate it. Hope you’re well.
2019-4-4
Use props
TomThomson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2383960 ft
Switzerland

LUX this is very good work! The LUTs are amazing - do you had much work after applying them (you said you use them as  starting point)?
2019-4-4
Use props
elberti
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3985561 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

the video is insane and the creators crazy enough happy to see such thing around
2019-4-4
Use props
LUX.aerial
Second Officer
United States

TomThomson Posted at 4-4 11:00
LUX this is very good work! The LUTs are amazing - do you had much work after applying them (you said you use them as  starting point)?

Hello again, Tom. I’d say about 65% of the time my footage requires little more than applying a LUT and minor tweaks to the gamma or highlights/shadows. The other 35% of the time typically requires me to do some heavy editing (as much as one can edit using only iOS and LumaTouch). I do love to shoot fading/low-light scenes though, which lend themselves to more digital noise than under more normal conditions.  The subtle gradients in that type of footage are the most difficult for me to grade, scenes in which I want to both reduce any of the original digital noise, while making sure I don’t introduce any color noise by applying a LUT. I’m sure the whole process would be much easier using NeatVideo or some other plugin via a traditional computer environment.
2019-4-4
Use props
LUX.aerial
Second Officer
United States

elberti Posted at 4-4 13:13
the video is insane and the creators crazy enough  happy to see such thing around

Uh oh! My insanity has been outed! Haha! Nah, I’d describe myself as “eccentric’, but I guess the rest of the world would simply call me crazy.
2019-4-4
Use props
LUX.aerial
Second Officer
United States

elberti Posted at 4-4 13:13
the video is insane and the creators crazy enough  happy to see such thing around

Thanks for the great comment.
2019-4-4
Use props
Roy Rogers
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

Lux this is produced on a professional level ! It is obvious  you've been putting your nose to the grind stone . You got my support and I wish you all the luck in the world , I think you could have a career at this

2019-4-4
Use props
RobSkyHigh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1640 ft
United States

Nice video and great video.  Thanks!
2019-4-4
Use props
LUX.aerial
Second Officer
United States

Roy Rogers Posted at 4-4 15:16

Lux this is produced on a professional level ! It is obvious  you've been putting your nose to the grind stone . You got my support and I wish you all the luck in the world , I think you could have a career at this

Wow, Roy, that’s nice of you to say. I’d like to think that I could also, but when, how and what that would look like is all up in the air (pun definitely intended). I remember some time back you said you mentioned living near my region, so I’m sure you understand the economic plight all too often here. When I moved back here to rural VA after over a decade of living in the ever-so-quickly modernizing Asia, I realized this place had become a land that time (and the rest of the country) had largely forgotten. Needless to say, local work opportunities are slim here currently, but I remain hopeful something truly engaging will become available here soon, or for such an opportunity  with enough promise that I’d consider packing my bag to relocate once more. Whatever happens, I will still create: good career or not, drone or no drone. I’ll make my own way, smiling all the while. Thanks so much, Roy.
2019-4-4
Use props
reshma123
New

India

JEE Main Response Sheet is the answer sheet of the candidate that they submitted during the Examination. Basically, when the candidate apears in the examination they appear in the exam online. All these answers are saved as recorded during the test. Finally, NTA accumulates these answers and arranges them in a PDF format for the candidates. This is known as the Response Sheet. Candidates need this response sheet to cross reference their answers they check in the JEE Main Answer Key. The response sheet will release on 23rd April 2019 along with the provisional answer key on the official website of National Testing Agency.know more about Jee main responsive sheet 2019 visit jeemainadmitcard2019.in
2019-4-4
Use props
TomThomson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2383960 ft
Switzerland

LUX.aerial Posted at 4-4 14:22
Hello again, Tom. I’d say about 65% of the time my footage requires little more than applying a LUT and minor tweaks to the gamma or highlights/shadows. The other 35% of the time typically requires me to do some heavy editing (as much as one can edit using only iOS and LumaTouch). I do love to shoot fading/low-light scenes though, which lend themselves to more digital noise than under more normal conditions.  The subtle gradients in that type of footage are the most difficult for me to grade, scenes in which I want to both reduce any of the original digital noise, while making sure I don’t introduce any color noise by applying a LUT. I’m sure the whole process would be much easier using NeatVideo or some other plugin via a traditional computer environment.

Thanks for your detailed answer - I'm still impressed by the fact that you are doing all this on an iPad ... crazy
2019-4-4
Use props
elberti
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3985561 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

LUX.aerial Posted at 4-4 14:26
Uh oh! My insanity has been outed! Haha! Nah, I’d describe myself as “eccentric’, but I guess the rest of the world would simply call me crazy.

to make such things you have to be different; call it as you wish
2019-4-4
Use props
eliasjohn
New

India

I really like your post and its so awesome.
Best Medical licensing exam coaching centre, HAAD, DHA, MOH, NCLEX. HAAD coaching centre Pathanamthitta
2019-4-6
Use props
andy10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4585692 ft
  • >>>
Slovenia

This is OK.
But generally the basic recipe for such corrections or enhancements is: brightness 1 step down + saturation 1 step up + contrast 1 step up + sharpness correction if you shot in RAW format.
Of course it is not for all pictures or movies. Much depends on the motive and basic setup of the camera. For more enhancements there are much much more adjustments available in more complex programs (Photoshop as a standard) but in average picture will look better.  
2019-4-6
Use props
Francis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

thanks for sharing
2019-4-6
Use props
Robert Center
New

Pakistan

What an amazing thing we need certificate for this or not to use it on public place
2019-4-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice video!
2019-4-8
Use props
Lora Flipo
lvl.1

Bangladesh

Really amazing video you have shared...
2019-4-8
Use props
LUX.aerial
Second Officer
United States

Francis Posted at 4-6 16:30
thanks for sharing

Thanks , Francis.  Glad you enjoyed it.
2019-4-11
Use props
LUX.aerial
Second Officer
United States

Pinker Posted at 4-7 04:21
Great Job LUX.aerial,

Thank you, Pinker.  Stay tuned for more!
2019-4-11
Use props
LUX.aerial
Second Officer
United States

Thank you very much, Montfrooij!  I always aim to do better, improving however I can. So, if you have any ideas or constructive criticisms of my work, I’d welcome it.
2019-4-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules