**FOUND** DJI Spark in Chicago - long & detailed
628 9 2019-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheTourist
lvl.1

United States

Greetings DJI pilots - it's story time!
TLDR; If you lost a drone in Chcago I would like to get it back to you.  I know what you look like and where you launched from.  A serial number and some location specifics will have your little buddy on it's way home to you ASAP.

While walking through Chicago this weekend, my family and I happened upon a downed DJI Spark in a fairly major tourist area.
It was cold and we were on our way to an event, so I wasn't able to hang around to see if the owner was bushwhacking the park at the same time.  I'm a video producer and editor by trade, and knew the monetary and emotional value of the little Spark, so we carried it around Chicago for the day until I could figure out how to get it back to it's rightful home.
I hope no one thinks I was being sneaky by taking it home with me.  I'd rather try (and possibly fail) to find the owner myself than have it sitting in a Lost & Found pile in a restaraunt (until someone decides to "borrow" it), or in a police locker never to be seen again (or "borrowed).  Neither of those options would actively seek out the owner - at least this has some chance of succeeding.

Back at the hotel, I downloaded the footage. It was from the same day - roughly 3 hours before I found the Spark.  Amazingly, using the two shots on the card, I was able to identify the pilot and his exact launch location!  Unfortunately, that location was in a popular tourist restaurant, so the chances of finding them at the location many hours later was slim.  And if I may say so, the location was probably not the wisest to be flying a drone.  There was no margin for error in a busy area like that.  I have the drone to prove it.

The final clips show a fairly controlled pull back from the launch site, followed by what looks like a bit of a struggle for control and a long sideways bank, heading North along Michigan Avenue - then a final struggle, spin and loss of video.  The loss of control/video point is about 1km NW from where I found it.
I've taken a deeper look at the SD card and found an additional 70 or so video files that have been formatted over, but may be salvageable and help me locate the owner, but I'm crazy-busy at the moment, and thought I'd try here before committing the time to dig through all of that.

Once I located the launch site, I called the restaurant's Lost and Found department and left my contact information.  
Back home today, I called the Chicago Police Department to report what I'd found; in case the owner filed a police report.  They were stunningly unhelpful, but I imagine they've got bigger issues at hand.  I also wonder if the owner bothered to report it - I certainly wouldn't want to describe my flight plan over a crowded metropolitan area to a cop in the USA's third largest city!
Finally I've posted here in hopes someone is scouring the net for this very post. Please let me know if there are any other sites that would be good places to post.

Future plans: I plan to contact DJI to see if I can get any information from them.  Reading the forums tells me "probably not", which is frustrating because I KNOW they've got the info to connect me with the owner.
I've downloaded DJI Assistant 2 in hopes of accessing flight logs etc, but I can't seem to get anything to export - any tips are welcome.  I'm purposely trying to stay away from interacting with DJI or the drone's account via the apps for fear of it looking like I'm sneakily trying to register someone else's drone.  Again, etiquette tips welcome.

Thanks for reading this far.  Feel free to PM any leads.
2019-4-1
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

One of the DJI moderators should contact you from this forum and ask you to PM...personal message...them with the serial number.  They can then contact the owner.
2019-4-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day TheTourist. Thank you for reaching out and I very much appreciate your honesty. Kindly provide me the serial number of the drone via PM so that I can contact the owner via email. In addition can I also ask for your personal contact information for me to forward it to the registered owner of the said drone for you to be able to communicate? Thank you.
2019-4-2
Use props
TheTourist
lvl.1

United States

Hi Stephen - I'll be happy to.  Once home tonight I'll PM you the info.
2019-4-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

TheTourist Posted at 4-2 12:52
Hi Stephen - I'll be happy to.  Once home tonight I'll PM you the info.

Thank you for the reply TheTourist. We will be here to help you further regarding this matter.
2019-4-2
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Great job buddy!
2019-4-3
Use props
TheTourist
lvl.1

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-2 15:05
Thank you for the reply TheTourist. We will be here to help you further regarding this matter.

Stephen - PM sent.
Apologies for the delay - I ended up working quite late last night, so didn't get around to the Spark until now.
2019-4-3
Use props
nilanjan118
lvl.4
Flight distance : 636663 ft
Japan

A big thumbs up to you for all these efforts to locate the rightful owner of the Spark you found. Hope you will find him soon with the help of DJI admins here. Do let us know how the story ended. Cheers!!
2019-4-3
Use props
Wolferl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

Hi folks,

That's why it is important to mark your drone (name, phone#)...

Cheers,
Wolferl
2019-4-3
Use props
TheTourist
lvl.1

United States

nilanjan118 Posted at 4-3 15:57
A big thumbs up to you for all these efforts to locate the rightful owner of the Spark you found. Hope you will find him soon with the help of DJI admins here. Do let us know how the story ended. Cheers!!

Thanks I definitely will - I hope it all turns out well.

I do have a new problem though. All my research to track down the owner has led to me learning a lot about these little Sparks.  And now, I think I want one!  

In my line of work, I routinely receive footage from drones (Phantoms and Inspires) used on our shoots, but have never had hands-on experience with one (apart from helping the pilot get his gear onto location).  Obviously the Inspire and Spark are worlds apart, but a Spark is much more likely to come along on a vacation.
In my varied past, I've raced RC cars & trucks, and have flown (with limited success) .30 nitro helicopters, fixed wing, and recently, hobby-level indoor quad copters.  I quite liked all of them (even the expensive ones I kept auguring into the ground), so a Spark would be a fine step up.  Wolferl - I really liked your tutorial to enable ATTI flight on the Spark.  Seems like a great idea.

So - I'm standing here on the edge - anybody want to shove me in? Apart from the usual eBay/Craigslist, any recommendations on where to look for used Spark kits?  Anybody got one just laying around?
2019-4-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules