Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LarryTru
lvl.3
Flight distance : 458944 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello,

What methods are supported to allow internet access for the smart Controller via cellular devices while out on location where wifi is not available?

I use an iPhone X which supports wifi and blutooth for its hotspot.  The Smart controller has both wifi and bluetooth, but I haven't figured out wither eithe ror both can be used for this. I also saw reference to "Goshare Hotspot" in the controller settings (if I remember correctly).  

Can anyone explain what all the options are?

Thank you,

Larry
2019-4-1
Use props
Trailkill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 317031 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't have a iPhone but my Samsung s8+ has WiFi and Bluetooth. But out in the field I don't use a WiFi hotspot I use my phone data line and tether the smart controller via WiFi. I works fine and I don't have to look for a WiFi hotspot.
Hope this helps

TK
2019-4-2
Use props
LarryTru
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Trailkill Posted at 4-2 03:51
I don't have a iPhone but my Samsung s8+ has WiFi and Bluetooth. But out in the field I don't use a WiFi hotspot I use my phone data line and tether the smart controller via WiFi. I works fine and I don't have to look for a WiFi hotspot.
Hope this helps

Yes, that is what I mean.  Using my phone as a hotspot.  So, you have been able to do that via wifi.  Perhaps it can work with my iPhone.  I'll have to do some testing.  The phone's hotspot wifi doesn't show up in the Smart controller wifi scan.

I also want to know if this can be done with bluetooth.  My phone does support this, but I don't know if the smart controller does.

I'm also curious about the "goshare" setting under network settings.

Thx,

Larry

Larry
2019-4-2
Use props
Trailkill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 317031 ft
  • >>>
United States

LarryTru Posted at 4-2 05:57
Yes, that is what I mean.  Using my phone as a hotspot.  So, you have been able to do that via wifi.  Perhaps it can work with my iPhone.  I'll have to do some testing.  The phone's hotspot wifi doesn't show up in the Smart controller wifi scan.

I also want to know if this can be done with bluetooth.  My phone does support this, but I don't know if the smart controller does.

GoShare is for transferring pictures and video from the controller to your iPhone. Just follow the instruction when you start GoShare on the controller.
On my phone I use mobile hotspot and then it shows up on the controller wifi list.
TK
2019-4-2
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. If the mobile device has internet access, you may create a hotspot for the Smart remote controller to be connected using wi-fi and be able to have an internet connection as well on your unit. Regarding the GO Share, the videos and images downloaded to the Smart Controller from DJI GO 4 app can be wirelessly transferred to other smart devices. Hope that this information would help to your query. Thank you for continued support.
2019-4-2
Use props
LarryTru
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Trailkill Posted at 4-2 06:52
GoShare is for transferring pictures and video from the controller to your iPhone. Just follow the instruction when you start GoShare on the controller.
On my phone I use mobile hotspot and then it shows up on the controller wifi list.
TK

Yes, I've done that, but do we know that is all goshare can be leveraged for?  Something gave me the idea that with it showing up beside wifi and bluetooth in network settings it might have additional capabilities.

I think you mean that with mobile hotspot turned on in your phone, it shows up as a network to connect to in the wifi list on the smart controller.  That is what is NOT happening with my iPhone.  I'll try again.

Thx,

Larry
2019-4-2
Use props
AnzacJack
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3501650 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Not sure what’s up. If you turn your phone hotspot on, it should be visible as a network. I do think there may be a setting on some phones that you have to select to make the hotspot visible
2019-4-3
Use props
LarryTru
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Thanks everyone for the input.  I was able to get my Smart Controller to use my iPhone X hotspot.  It takes some time before it shows up in the list of wifi networks.  Under sSettings -> wireless & Network -> More...  there is an option called "Go Share Hotspot which can be toggled on and off.  this looks like a hotspot service the smart controller can provide to other devices that want to connect to it, but I didn't test it.
2019-4-3
Use props
ronbrown3
lvl.2
United States

LarryTru Posted at 4-3 21:14
Thanks everyone for the input.  I was able to get my Smart Controller to use my iPhone X hotspot.  It takes some time before it shows up in the list of wifi networks.  Under sSettings -> wireless & Network -> More...  there is an option called "Go Share Hotspot which can be toggled on and off.  this looks like a hotspot service the smart controller can provide to other devices that want to connect to it, but I didn't test it.

I just got the Smartcontroller, how did you get it to connect to your iPhone X's hotspot? If I wait long enough the my iPhone will show up in the network list, but after I choose it and type in the password shown on iPhone's hotspot screen, the Smartcontroller fails to connect. And I have tried it many times assuring the password is typed correctly.
2019-5-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Apart from downloading ground maps you won’t need WiFi , if you need maps you can always download and cache, in the last 5 years flying drones I can only remember using maps once, everything else can be operated through Bluetooth local WiFi and go share .
2019-5-12
Use props
djiuser_BSZzT5vMVWLZ
lvl.1
United States

My controller is connected to my phones Hotspot but everything times out. Cannot get faa Auth or even access simple websites. My wife's phone is connected and works fine. It's not my phone
2019-8-7
Use props
LarryTru
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

ronbrown3 Posted at 5-12 05:58
I just got the Smartcontroller, how did you get it to connect to your iPhone X's hotspot? If I wait long enough the my iPhone will show up in the network list, but after I choose it and type in the password shown on iPhone's hotspot screen, the Smartcontroller fails to connect. And I have tried it many times assuring the password is typed correctly.

Sorry for slow reply.  I did the same thing as you, but it worked for me.  I have seen some erratic behavior with my phone’s hotspot support in the past.  Sometimes it helps to toggle it off and then back on.

Good luck!
2019-10-30
Use props
Crumeology
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31460 ft
United States

djiuser_BSZzT5vMVWLZ Posted at 2019-8-7 14:09
My controller is connected to my phones Hotspot but everything times out. Cannot get faa Auth or even access simple websites. My wife's phone is connected and works fine. It's not my phone

I have the same issue. I can get it to connect to my iPhone hotspot but then it times out when trying to get FAA approvment. Very frustrating.
2021-1-7
Use props
djiuser_20ZUYK7Nzzps
New

Israel

I managed and connected my iphone sees in 2.4 the Smart conteroller but it sees no photos or videos...I did download the data to the SD card
2021-3-26
Use props
AlisaJ21
lvl.2

India

djiuser_20ZUYK7Nzzps Posted at 2021-3-26 23:15
I managed and connected my iphone sees in 2.4 the Smart conteroller but it sees no photos or videos...I did download the data to the SD card

I can tell you what worked for me, what i did was this viewed specific data usage for your iPhone's Personal Hotspot on older iPhone models like the X, there are still ways to estimate or track its usage:-
1. View Overall Cellular Data Usage:- Go to Settings > Cellular. & Scroll down and look for Personal Hotspot. It will show the total data used by all devices connected to your hotspot since the last reset.
2. Reset Statistics:- Tap Cellular Data at the top of the Cellular settings page. & Scroll down and tap Reset Statistics. This will reset the data usage information for all cellular activities, including Personal Hotspot. Make sure to note your current reading before resetting.
3. Estimate Hotspot Usage:- Use the overall cellular data usage and subtract the amount you used directly on your phone (browsing, streaming, etc.) to estimate the approximate data consumed by your hotspot.
4. Use Third-Party Apps:- There are apps like DataMan Pro or My Data Manager that claim to track data usage more accurately, including breakdown for hotspot usage. However, be cautious about app permissions and privacy before downloading these.
5. Contact Your Carrier:- Your carrier might offer their own data usage monitoring tools or reports, where you can see a breakdown of hotspot usage.
For more assistance below.
2-16 03:12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules